Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47621 times)

Seamus_McShamebag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2015, 10:20:05 PM »
fake 

Don't think that your carefully veiled attack on Doug Brown's tastefully peroxide'd hair went unnoticed.  I bite my thumb at you Tracer.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3334
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »
WEDNESDAY, MAY 27, 2015

"The all mighty burning question: what is love? Is infatuation love? Is puppy love love? What makes that heartbeat yearn for another? Love is a word commonly used to describe something you deeply like or enjoy. I love the movie The Wizard of Oz*. Or I love to eat Italian food. Where does the word love change from light and trivial to heavy and meaningful? The word is often misused to describe simply something you like beyond words. A heart throbbed teenager may be dating their crush of three weeks and the I love yous are present at the end of their phone calls." p.42 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Doug should read this book.

Biscuit is a lucky little puppy. He loves his bones, his bed, and his best friend.

The little girl teaches her yellow puppy that love is sharing and helping and learning. And it's also having a sweet puppy like Biscuit. Woof!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2015

"Parents in particular should always have words of positive reinforcement for their children. I go out of my way in my adulthood to let others know when they are doing something positive. I'm very pro-active and speak up in social situations where I see injustice. Words have just as much power as actions." p.32 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2015

"I remember a snowy winter day years back. I'm filling up my vehicle at the gas station. I see an elderly woman and her Lincoln Continental parked in front of me by her lonely gas pump.* She looked slightly shaken. She had a sad demeanor about her. Following my intuition of concern I approached her. Her eyes were on the tip of a tear.** She informed me she had no idea how to pump the gas, because her husband of many years just passed away. I was encountering this elderly woman on her first solo trip to the gas station. I proceeded to pump the gas for her without question.*** It was my good Samaritan moment of the day.**** Not a huge heroic effort, but worthy for the moment.*****" p.65 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I think pump her gas is a metaphor for pumping her asshole with his penis. Doug's such a sweetheart.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
I wonder if the dougster has ever had a ponytail?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
Finally we're getting to the important questions

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
I think pump her gas is a metaphor for pumping her asshole with his penis. Doug's such a sweetheart.

Pump grandma's gas and she'll get off tonight, teach grandma to pump gas and she'll get off every night.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2015

"All these mentors and role models that enter our lives completely have a hand in the creation of who we become. I had an epiphany early on with my guitar teaching career. That's where I began to really understand the weight of being a role model and mentor. These titles were being placed on me without me even realizing it. I flashed back to the days when I was a guitar student. My teacher Brad was someone I really respected and looked up to. Here I was now in the same position for someone else many years later. It's been twenty years ago that I began teaching guitar and I still get students coming up to tell me I was a great teacher or huge influence on them. These comments get deposited in my piggy bank of self worth." p.34-35, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »
I honestly don't know if I could stand to be around this guy for more than like 8 seconds.  He talks about how humble he is but he's constantly stroking his ego with his book, "pro" career etc....   But keep 'em coming gay, i am amused.
do more yoga!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
You make a good point.

Humility is one of those things where as soon as you claim you're it, you're not it. I feel like a person can say, "I try to be humble," but if someone says, "I'm so humble," it's just pure ego.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:55 AM »
You make a good point.

Humility is one of those things where as soon as you claim you're it, you're not it. I feel like a person can say, "I try to be humble," but if someone says, "I'm so humble," it's just pure ego.

It's one of those things like when someone says, "To be honest with you..."  Were you just bullshitting the rest of the conversation?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
Expand Quote
You make a good point.

[close]

It's one of those things like when someone says, "To be honest with you..."  Were you just bullshitting the rest of the conversation?

Or, "With all due respect..." means you're about to get shit on.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2015

"There is nothing wrong with shooting for the stars, but you should never forget where you started or where you currently are. In grade school I wanted to be on TV any way, shape or form. So I ended up engulfed in theater starting in several plays. In high school I was obsessed with getting a record deal and being in a band headlining arenas. After high school my courage led me to approach the local music store asking if they needed a guitar teacher. I wasn't touring with Metallica*, but my hands were on the guitar. I was strumming for money for the next ten years. During this time I was also producing my own CDS and having some success in sales along with performing at venues and clubs. In my eyes I felt I had achieved a dream. I bought a house, because of the teaching and music days. I had never figured I was living the American dream. Never once did I feel like a failure or that I didn't make it. I was always secure with the new plateau I reached." p.52-53, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*Rock-n-Rollers Metallica

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2015

"There is nothing wrong with shooting for the stars, but you should never forget where you started or where you currently are. In grade school I wanted to be on TV any way, shape or form. So I ended up engulfed in theater starting in several plays. In high school I was obsessed with getting a record deal and being in a band headlining arenas. After high school my courage led me to approach the local music store asking if they needed a guitar teacher. I wasn't touring with Metallica*, but my hands were on the guitar. I was strumming for money for the next ten years. During this time I was also producing my own CDS and having some success in sales along with performing at venues and clubs. In my eyes I felt I had achieved a dream. I bought a house, because of the teaching and music days. I had never figured I was living the American dream. Never once did I feel like a failure or that I didn't make it. I was always secure with the new plateau I reached." p.52-53, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*Rock-n-Rollers Metallica

"Strumming for money" sounds like some serious code.  Also- is there any video evidence of DB's performances at "Venues and clubs"?  I'm sure he tore that bitch up. 

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »

"Whatever" - Doug Brown
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »
FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2015

"I remember a snowy winter day years back. I'm filling up my vehicle at the gas station. I see an elderly woman and her Lincoln Continental parked in front of me by her lonely gas pump.* She looked slightly shaken. She had a sad demeanor about her. Following my intuition of concern I approached her. Her eyes were on the tip of a tear.** She informed me she had no idea how to pump the gas, because her husband of many years just passed away. I was encountering this elderly woman on her first solo trip to the gas station. I proceeded to pump the gass for her without question.*** It was my good Samaritan moment of the day.**** Not a huge heroic effort, but worthy for the moment.*****" p.65 - Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Fuck. Strumming for money!

Is this shit real?

Thanks, this page made my day...

Too much!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:54:45 AM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2015, 07:54:23 AM »

"Whatever" - Doug Brown

none of these r crime ok?
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3, 2015

"Chances are you've seen Doug Brown on NBC's Good Co. Today Show, at the Gravity Games, AST Dew Tour, or even on a stick of X-Air deoderant, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. He is author of Doug Brown: Beyond the Board and is the founder of his highly acclaimed Skate Straight program. From touring arenas with bands to visiting patients in hospitals, Doug has proven to be more than just a skateboarder. Hidden behind his contagious smile and charisma is a wide range of talents and a strong sense of determination. While he maintains a strong commitment to his skate career Brown has shifted his primary focus and energies towards his speaking engagements entering schools, libraries and being a keynote speaker for conferences. Brown wholeheartedly believes in positive change and the importance of hope and optimism." Back cover, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:23 PM »
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3, 2015

"Chances are you've seen Doug Brown on NBC's Good Co. Today Show, at the Gravity Games, AST Dew Tour, or even on a stick of X-Air deoderant, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. He is author of Doug Brown: Beyond the Board and is the founder of his highly acclaimed Skate Straight program. From touring arenas with bands to visiting patients in hospitals, Doug has proven to be more than just a skateboarder. Hidden behind his contagious smile and charisma is a wide range of talents and a strong sense of determination. While he maintains a strong commitment to his skate career Brown has shifted his primary focus and energies towards his speaking engagements entering schools, libraries and being a keynote speaker for conferences. Brown wholeheartedly believes in positive change and the importance of hope and optimism." Back cover, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
I have been skatboarding most of my life and have honestly never heard of Doug before SLAP. Is doug a poltergeist or something because I remember Gravity Games Dew tour and NBC

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2015, 03:19:27 AM »
It's an achievement to make Todd Falcon look earnest in his kookiness.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »
Expand Quote

"Whatever" - Doug Brown
[close]

none of these r crime ok?

The Dougster just won't stand for authority.  He's a rebel, an outlaw, you wouldn't understand. 

That ditch looks pretty fun. 

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
THURSDAY, JUNE 4, 2015

"I was spreading my wings and riding the wave of a new discovery. I was writing for myself as therapy. I didn't want to forget all that I was going through. I wanted the moments to live on through paper. I had no intentions early on of having the work actually published. The pages began to add up. They found their way to a section of my website simply titled E-book.
     Through a few years with each new adventure I would make additions to this online version. I was getting so much feedback from strangers while out on the road about the book so I had my agent begin to shop publishers. A year later the book was in national book stores and I wore the title of author proudly. I never stooped writing and I'm always putting my thoughts down somewhere on paper. My first book was being written all over the globe during my skateboard travels. I'm still the skateboard traveler, but most of this work was completed in my serene home tucked away in the woods. I'm at a desk far away from the hustle and bustle of the world.*" p.107, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 5, 2015

"To make a long story short, my agent and I put our armor on and approached the publishing world. A year later I found myself on book shelves across the nation. I was doing morning show television appearances and book signings at major book stores. From a reader's perspective, you might be asking yourself, 'Who is this guy?' Some days I ask myself the same question. I've been known as a professional skateboarder, an author, a motivational speaker, a philanthropist, a guitar teacher, a singer songwriter a nobody, a somebody. It's the pro skater card that landed me with a steady income for many years. That element of my life is what opened up the doors for many opportunities. Getting to gravel the world, meeting all of my heroes, having my name on skateboards, even having my face grace the front of deodorant sticks and body wash bottles, all very unexpected." p.15, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
You would figure a guy like Doug would understand that point of view of property owners and stick to skate parks.  I think he's very disrespectful for doing skate acrobatics in a public place where the village can potentially be sued for injuries or forced to repair damage to the ditch.  The guy has no appreciation for municipal law and that is a slippery slope into becoming just another menace to society.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
You would figure a guy like Doug would understand that point of view of property owners and stick to skate parks.  I think he's very disrespectful for doing skate acrobatics in a public place where the village can potentially be sued for injuries or forced to repair damage to the ditch.  The guy has no appreciation for municipal law and that is a slippery slope into becoming just another menace to society.

Next thing you know he'll be sucking dick for crack.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 5, 2015

"To make a long story short, my agent and I put our armor on and approached the publishing world. A year later I found myself on book shelves across the nation. I was doing morning show television appearances and book signings at major book stores. From a reader's perspective, you might be asking yourself, 'Who is this guy?' Some days I ask myself the same question. I've been known as a professional skateboarder, an author, a motivational speaker, a philanthropist, a guitar teacher, a singer songwriter a nobody, a somebody. It's the pro skater card that landed me with a steady income for many years. That element of my life is what opened up the doors for many opportunities. Getting to gravel the world, meeting all of my heroes, having my name on skateboards, even having my face grace the front of deodorant sticks and body wash bottles, all very unexpected." p.15, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Damn. Can't think of any better illustration of the ugliness of consumerist materialism.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Genius
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
MONDAY, JUNE 8, 2015

"When reaching for a goal you don't want to get greedy. Embrace the distance you traveled to get where you are. Respect the road. I never thought that my road would end up here. All those plateaus have added up. I'm much higher on the mountain of self discovery. Because of my skateboard I've been on TV, I've traveled arenas and performed in front of thousands of people a night. I've ended up on stage under the spotlight with a microphone in my hand talking to thousands of kids at schools, libraries and more. As early as first grade when I was in the talent show being a ventriloquist with my puppet Charlie McCarthy I felt some pride. My imagination in early grade school had me create my one man band, Poetic Justice. Recording and writing my own songs at that early age was fulfilling. All my material was original, created with my Casio keyboard and cardboard boxes for drums. To make my fantasy world as realistic as possible I even went so far as to make albums on cassette tape, complete with original artwork for the covers. Every time I produced a new album, I did what every good artist does; I went on tour in my imagination. I was in a different city every night with all the perks and glamour of life on the road. It didn't matter, though, because I dreamed big. I never felt that anything was out of reach. I seemed to live my youth in a bubble of creativity where I was only limited by my drive and determination. Anything was possible. I vividly remember thinking I didn't have to be world wide famous. I was content with my imagination and if the rest of the world wasn't going to experience Poetic Justice it was alright with me. I had found a place I could call my own. Here I am many, many years later and I still feel the same contentment. I'm secure and confident in where I am and what I've accomplished. If you don't believe in yourself you can't expect anyone else to." p.53-54, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown