Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47607 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3333
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 9, 2015

"When I saw Star Wars in the movie theater at the tender age of five I could identify with the blonde, blue eyed Luke Skywalker. The story of a farm boy going off to save the galaxy in space battle. What's not to like? Star Wars is a kaleidoscope of mythology combined with lessons of morals and values. A role model can be a fictional character in a movie. In the art world there are no limitations on what can be considered to be inspirational or moving." p.34, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »
Someone really needs to go to this

Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

Christian skate stuff always tries so hard to be aggro...but like fun-loving aggro. Like the kids in this video:

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

I'd pay(theoretically) to see Cory Kennedy skate the contest

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10, 2015

"My sponsors through the years have always drowned me in boxes and boxes of free product. I still have a storage shed filled with everything skate related*, so, to reinforce my pay it forward theory, I've always given out free goods in my travels. Something as simple as a few stickers to a young person can be gold to them. I remember all too well collecting skate stickers.
     'I remember when you signed a poster for me at the Gravity Games in 2004,' a kid will say to me, or 'You gave my friend and I SoBe hats at the top of the ramp at Ollie's Skate park in Kentucky in 2005' or, 'I still have your poster on my wall from when you were in Cleveland at the Dew Tour in 2007.'" p.36, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
THURSDAY, JUNE 11, 2015

"I've had some loves in my life, none I would regret or forget. The past is easy to remember and swim in, but not to stay in. I'm carrying moments and memories into my present. What I miss in my past makes me hold onto my present. Hold onto the one that makes you grow as a person. Today will turn into tomorrow, so cherish what you have. Cherish the one that is choosing to spend all of their time with you. Notice and compliment the smallest details. The things that seem insignificant are actually the hidden treasures you might someday miss. Those eyes that you are looking into are trusting you. The responsibility in loving is in the giving." p.44-45, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 12, 2015

"The all mighty word that is, responsibility.'Underage consumption is on the rise. I see the drug epidemic as a snowball rolling down a hill, gathering victims along the way to a destination of an ocean of boiling water. Opening the ears of the impressionable listener is key." p.95, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
Just a quick head's up, ladies and gentlemen: I'm going out of town to Durango, Colorado for several days and can't fit Doug's wisdom in my bags, so you are going to have to meditate on your own until next Thursday. I believe in all y'all.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
NOOOOOOO!!!
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

straight

« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Need a pick me up right about now

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
gonna google and see if Doug has any speaking/skating engagements in Durango... safe travels GAY

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »
I wonder what gay is doing right now.. maybe rafting down the animas river..or skating the skate park right next to it. Maybe he's in a dive bar putting xanax in his butt

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
Does xanax work better up the butt?
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

Ccannon

« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
I wouldn't say better but it still works. I prefer to let them dissolve under my tongue then slam a bottle of wine.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
I wouldn't say better but it still works. I prefer to let them dissolve under my tongue then slam a bottle of wine.

I usually have bad results when I mix alcohol with xanax.

Ccannon

« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Its an amazing feeling. Especially when your hook in up with like 2 girls

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
Just a quick head's up, ladies and gentlemen: I'm going out of town to Durango, Colorado for several days and can't fit Doug's wisdom in my bags, so you are going to have to meditate on your own until next Thursday. I believe in all y'all.

Nice I went to Elementary school in Durango. Beautiful place! Skate park is sick too. Hurry back GAY

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
THURSDAY, JUNE 18, 2015

"The human longing is for meaning. We all have different ideas of human existence, on our purpose, our identity, our philosophies on life. We are emotional and intellectual beings. We serve a  purpose. We have complete control of that purpose. You are behind the steering wheel of your life. Both hands are on that wheel. You determine the speed and control to your destination depending on your sense of direction and vision. The obstacles in that road might take you off course or down an unexpected detour. However, with optimism as your fuel the journey will go much smoother. The road is a common metaphor for the journey of life, and it's a good one. Even those that have been through traumatic events can still subscribe to optimism." p.106, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poorlatino

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »
I'm glad your back GAY! How was your trip?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
I'm glad your back GAY! How was your trip?

It was OK. I busted my ass on the Alpine Slide up at Purgatory so I have these weird fiberglass burns all over my hands, arms and head, but all in all it was a good trip. I'm glad to be home though.

There's a little skate shop in old town called Inferno. It was OK. They had some Tired decks so I was impressed with that. The guy that works there was nice but was such a burnout. Not much in that town for a queer to do. LOL

poorlatino

« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »
Yep I know the skateshop and the dude I think you're talking about. I visited last summer. Lots of burnouts there, even the town is cursed by Indians. I've seen sketchy shit in Durango maaan.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
Yep I know the skateshop and the dude I think you're talking about. I visited last summer. Lots of burnouts there, even the town is cursed by Indians. I've seen sketchy shit in Durango maaan.

I believe it. Lots of reds. And by "reds" I mean "rednecks", not Indians.

poorlatino

« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly all the rednecks killed off all the Indian tribes there so no more Indians. Well except their angry souls cursing the land. Even New Mexico is like 10 miles away from Durango. Anyways I'm not hear to argue with you GAY I thought we moved past that in the Bastien Salabanzi on Primitive thread.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:06:22 PM by poorlatino »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly all the rednecks killed off all the Indian tribes there so no more Indians. Well except their angry souls cursing the land. Even New Mexico is like 10 miles away from Durango. Anyways I'm not hear to argue with you GAY I thought we moved past that in the Bastien Salabanzi on Primitive thread.

I'm not arguing! I like you! I'm agreeing with you!!! :)

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

"Just recently, while on the road in a desolate small town a mother took me aside after the skate event. It was a sincere thank you of gratitude for what I've done for her son after he ready my book. Her son was fourteen going through some major depression and tried to commit suicide. He was short for his age and at school he was constantly getting taunted. She said it was my book that caused him to do a complete one-eighty and change his outlook on life. Essentially my book played a part in saving his life." p. 65, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poorlatino

« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2015, 07:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha sorry if I got carried away

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha sorry if I got carried away

No sweat! You couldn't see my smilin' face while I was replying to you and sometimes intent gets lost on message boards.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

"Just recently, while on the road in a desolate small town a mother took me aside after the skate event. It was a sincere thank you of gratitude for what I've done for her son after he ready my book. Her son was fourteen going through some major depression and tried to commit suicide. He was short for his age and at school he was constantly getting taunted. She said it was my book that caused him to do a complete one-eighty and change his outlook on life. Essentially my book played a part in saving his life." p. 65, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

In some ways this excerpt is a little moving. Then I thought about how bad life must be for Doug's book to save you? Jesus. Wonder if it's bullshit? May be the kid read the book and took solace that no matter how bad things were, there was always a bigger knob than him alive?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
Expand Quote
FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

[close]

In some ways this excerpt is a little moving. Then I thought about how bad life must be for Doug's book to save you? Jesus. Wonder if it's bullshit? May be the kid read the book and took solace that no matter how bad things were, there was always a bigger knob than him alive?

To be completely honest, I'm reaching a place in the excerpts where Doug starts to talk about a lot of moving stuff and some of it actually makes him look kind-of good. Unsure what to do.