Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47593 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2545
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
Let us judge for ourselves...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Maybe he still killed himself later on but before he did, he finally landed a full 180 not some 90 degree pivot bullshit. It was just that he had some drive to become better then Doug Brown before he did it.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »
To be completely honest, I'm reaching a place in the excerpts where Doug starts to talk about a lot of moving stuff and some of it actually makes him look kind-of good. Unsure what to do.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . . when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Goddammit GAY, snap out of it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3332
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote
To be completely honest, I'm reaching a place in the excerpts where Doug starts to talk about a lot of moving stuff and some of it actually makes him look kind-of good. Unsure what to do.
[close]

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . . when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Goddammit GAY, snap out of it.

Thank you. I needed that.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

"Just recently, while on the road in a desolate small town a mother took me aside after the skate event. It was a sincere thank you of gratitude for what I've done for her son after he ready my book. Her son was fourteen going through some major depression and tried to commit suicide. He was short for his age and at school he was constantly getting taunted. She said it was my book that caused him to do a complete one-eighty and change his outlook on life. Essentially my book played a part in saving his life." p. 65, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown
[close]

In some ways this excerpt is a little moving. Then I thought about how bad life must be for Doug's book to save you? Jesus. Wonder if it's bullshit? May be the kid read the book and took solace that no matter how bad things were, there was always a bigger knob than him alive?
[close]

I can suggest a solution that we used when we had to read aloud around the class in our English lessons. Simple yet brilliant. We would read aloud but, unknown to the teacher, all of us were changing the last word of the sentence to penis. So, it goes something like this:

"The all mighty burning question: what is penis? Is infatuation penis? Is puppy love penis? What makes that heartbeat yearn for penis? Love is a word commonly used to describe something you deeply like or penis. I love the movie The Wizard of Penis*. Or I love to eat Italian penis..."

Certainly helped me get through school.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2015

"My skin became thick from having to face critic reviews in music magazines*. This was a precursor to the wall of criticism I would face as I grew more successful in my skateboarding in years to come. I never stopped skating. I visited skate parks weekly, mainly for exercise and fun. My rotation in activities would be to wake up and have a skate session till 2pm. I would then get the sport coat and briefcase and make my way to the music studio for teaching. After work I would have a change of clothes and the rest of the night would be skating till one or two in the morning. Weekends and days off were filled with non-stop skating with my crew. I still have yet to beat my record of seven skate parks in one day." p.19, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:30 AM »
how does one get initiated into the doug crew? I imagine some serious taunting and such

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 23, 2015

"If you are reading this you might have a small inclination of who I am. As the writer, who am I to you? Perhaps you ready my first book, Doug Brown: Beyond the Board. That book was a memoir in full, my life story and how I became who I am today. I will reference the book a few times and there will be echoes of stories from that. Without a doubt writing my life story has been therapeutic and in the end a very rewarding experience." p.14, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 24, 2015

"When chasing that dream, expect to make sacrifices. In life you have to pound the pavement and bleed for what you believe in. These challenges will only make you better in the long run. Adversity makes strong people. Your evolution of plateaus is determined on how you fill up every single day. Ferris Bueller said it best, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while,m you could miss it." Stay productive. Believe in yourself. Life is a river of twists, turns, and changes. Not following your dreams would be swimming against the current. I'm still swimming in only one direction, with the current. Never forget, it's not the destination, it's the journey." p.55, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Ferris Bueller said it best

shark tits

« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 24, 2015
 "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while,m you could miss it."
6 fuckin devils jumped up and praise god
had the fuckin nerve to try to enter my graveyard
i'm the RZArector
be my sacrifice
commit suicide and i'll bring you back to life
first was convinced
stuck a waterhose in his mouth at full blast
so his head could explode
2nd one said that was good but i can top it
put an axe up to his head
and then he chopped it
blood shot out in every direction
the rest didn't know what to do
doug made suggestions

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »
Expand Quote
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 24, 2015
 "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while,m you could miss it."
[close]
6 fuckin devils jumped up and praise god
had the fuckin nerve to try to enter my graveyard
i'm the RZArector
be my sacrifice
commit suicide and i'll bring you back to life
first was convinced
stuck a waterhose in his mouth at full blast
so his head could explode
2nd one said that was good but i can top it
put an axe up to his head
and then he chopped it
blood shot out in every direction
the rest didn't know what to do
doug made suggestions

perpendicular to the square
I stand [something...maybe "cold"] like flair/flare (?)
escape from yo' dragon's lair
.......and particular

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
THURSDAY, JUNE 25, 2015

"Time is the enemy of that first step. If you want to be an actor you can't sit around expecting Francis Ford Coppola to call out of the blue asking you to star in his next masterpiece. One must be proactive, period. In my skateboarding career I'm asked all the time "How can I become sponsored or pro?" My first reply is that of a reality check for them. I advise them to get the money and fame fantasy out their brains (sic). If wealth is your destination you should probably work for the stock market or stay in school for a long, long time. A lot of luck and chance landed me in my position. When I got my big breaks I kept the breaks coming. I bled to be here. I made big sacrifices to be here. I did countless competitions. I drained my bank account traveling to trade shows, meeting industry contacts, and creating opportunities. Nothing happened over night. I knew early on I would have to rely on myself to keep my wheels spinning. I knew sponsors would come and go. Some will pay you a lot of money, some will just drown you in product. Rumors and haters would not stop me. I was going to do this all or nothing. After doing this job for over ten years, I can't help getting preachy when someone assumes success is easy and can be obtained simply by being good at a skill. In the skateboard world there are no shortages of amazing skateboarders. I succeeded by being original and being able to wear my business cap when needed. People trying to get into the skateboard business tend to forget that in fact, this is a business." p.51, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
I wonder how many competitions Doug actually did. Cause we now know that his whole Dew tour thing was just him skating it before the contest started.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
I wonder how many competitions Doug actually did. Cause we now know that his whole Dew tour thing was just him skating it before the contest started.

I think it was probably just that.  I just wonder how he tricks elementary schools and shit into letting him "speak" there.  If I was the principal I'd be like "You are not getting near any of these kids, you fucking weirdo."

Those ramps he advertises for are pretty sick though http://www.landwaveproducts.com/Skateboard-Ramps.htm

Make sure you read that whole paragraph.  "The only limit is your imagination!"  And the severe limitations of the product!

A starter pack with two of the kickers and one deck is $200 on Amazon.  Wonder what they paid Doug?
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
OMG is that Nick Jedi?

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
So tweaked

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2015, 06:54:56 PM »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
OMG is that Nick Jedi?

Just using him as a muse. Happens more than you would think.

What the fuck are those ramps? They don't look like you can roll down them.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »
FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2015

"My guitar instructor Brad Shreve* was monumental in my life. He taught me about the art of recording, playing multiple instruments, song composition, and more. At age nine Tom Sawyer was the first play I auditioned for. Heading this operation was director and actress Francine Leroy**. Francine had been in professional theater for years, with lead roles in West Side Story and other productions. Her casting me as Toom Sawyer opened the door to my endless possibilities in the performing arts world. I was engulfed in dramatic arts and dance all from her training." p.34, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*Brad Shreve

** Francine Leroy

Thanks a lot Francine.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »
MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2015

In my life I am the brand. Essentially my job is to be myself and do the things I believe in. With my rising popularity through the years, I've been subject to criticism and hate. People always seem shocked when I tell them there are people who aren't on board with my endeavors. A complete stranger can form an opinion on who I am and that's fine. I'm proud to be a skateboarder that doesn't always blend in. I left junior high school many years ago, so the objective to fit in or be accepted is the furthest thing from my mind. No matter what artistic endeavors I engage in I seem to have the knack of sticking out. I now see that sticking out as shining out. It's a positive light I chose to embrace. I don't even like writing about a hater. I've never given them airtime or acknowledgment in my world. They simply don't deserve it. My actions, efforts and accomplishments speak for themselves. People invest a lot of time attacking and criticizing people they don't understand or things they could never achieve. Jealousy, envy, insecurity and ignorance embody that of a hater." p. 81, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »
I really have no idea about Doug Brown's standing in the U.S., but is it possible that he is regarded by anyone as a pro skater? Does he really make a living off of skateboarding and his book(s)?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2015

"Many spend their whole life in a limbo of ideas and the shoulda, coulda, wouldas. Anyone can fester up a lavish idea or concept. The individual that looks not at the final outcome, but is already in motion to get there, will succeed in one way, shape or another. An idea or concept can be obtained, however the creation may lead one in many different directions. The essention element in that creation is action. Motivation, drive, tenacity, persistence, focus, discipline, and believing, are all verbs on the menu of creating and making something happen. We can spend all day in analogy land. It's not a hill, it's a mountain. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." p.50, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

"We can spend all day in analogy land."

"We can spend all day in analogy"

"We can spend all day in anal"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:34:00 AM by GAY »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 2015

"Women are the most amazing creatures. They have the ability to carry a child in the womb for nine months and perform the astronomical feat of giving birth. I've always felt women and mothers in particular deserve the respect and treatment of a queen. This may come from my upbringing. Having a father as a gynecologist and baby doctor you are conscious of the importance of women. You're acutely aware at a young age that human life comes from within a woman. Not that men are inferior. A vital makeup of a man's being should be to respect and honor a woman. On April, 15th, 1912 at 12:25 A.M. aboard the RMS Titanic you can hear "Women and children first, women and children first." p.66, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2015, 12:49:06 PM »
Doug. Not only smashing pussy, but smashing patriarchy as well.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »
THURSDAY, JULY 2, 2015

"In my household the word hate was frowned upon. I told my dad "I hate getting up early for school" or "I hate the ending of that movie" it was always followed by "Hate is a strong word." from my father. We were taught early the negative connotation and the unnecessary abuse of the word. He was right, hate is a strong word. Where does hate come from? Is it a natural relative in our being? The human race prides itself on the depths of accomplishment and superiority. With our ability to create we also have the ability to destroy." p.78, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Happy 4th, y'all. See you again on Monday the 6th.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »
MONDAY, JULY 6, 2015

"Find love and positivity in others. We don't have to use our powerful fists and our fierce words to communicate. There are always effective alternatives. We are intelligent, vibrant human beings capable of creating peace and cooperation in a just world." p.86, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

abudabi

« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
a just world? what kind of just world is this where i am left doug-free for 3 days? explain me that, doug, explain me that  :'(

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
I often find myself agreeing with Doug's sentiments, he seems alright

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »
TUESDAY, JUNE 7, 2015

"My drive and outlook has changed so much over time. I'm going on over a decade of doing this for a living and it has truly been a blessing. There is nothing more satisfying than becoming comfortable in your own skin and having pride in what you have become or achieved. No one can take that away from you. I found my voice because of my skateboard." p.22, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Tay

« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 2015

"Women are the most amazing creatures. They have the ability to carry a child in the womb for nine months and perform the astronomical feat of giving birth. I've always felt women and mothers in particular deserve the respect and treatment of a queen. This may come from my upbringing. Having a father as a gynecologist and baby doctor you are conscious of the importance of women. You're acutely aware at a young age that human life comes from within a woman. Not that men are inferior. A vital makeup of a man's being should be to respect and honor a woman. On April, 15th, 1912 at 12:25 A.M. aboard the RMS Titanic you can hear "Women and children first, women and children first." p.66, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

And if a woman can't give birth? Jesus Christ it's like he's stuck in the 50's. So cringe inducing I feel I need to bathe.

Passengers didn't leave the Titanic, because they assumed there was no initial emergency. There were 472 lifeboat seats left unused. What a fucking dumb tool, "Women and children first", how the fuck did this piece of shit reproduce.