Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47623 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3334
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JULY 8, 2015

"Look back in your own life to people you have aspired to be or respected. You may never get to meet them or share a lunch together but they've served a purpose in your life. From the giant impact of our families, to our essential time with our teachers, to our never ending love for the artists and entertainers. Everyone plays these parts throughout life affecting our relationships, behaviors, and attitudes. The reciprocal relationship between mentor and pupil is what makes us purposeful, productive, and hopefully positive participants of humankind." p.36, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
What a fucking dumb tool, "Women and children first", how the fuck did this piece of shit reproduce.

Wait Doug has kids?
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #213 on: July 09, 2015, 06:59:24 AM »
19 Dougs and counting.
do more yoga!

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
Have a feeling he would fit well on Cliche.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2015

"I make sure everyone in the gymnasium, auditorium, or classroom leaves knowing the definition of one word, empathy. This is the glue to seal the cracks in the pavement of hate With my microphone in hand I'll single out an individual from the crowd. Let's say Tommy in the blue hat will be my victim. Posing as the bully, I invite Tommy to join me on my platform. I proceed to poke fun of Tommy's blue hat, while my audience joins in for a laugh on Tommy's expense. Shortly there after I halt the audience with a tone of sincerity 'I would never make fun of Tommy's blue hat or ridicule him for wearing it. Why? Because I have empathy.'" p.80, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
I always show people how I understand empathy by doing the exact opposite of it.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Doug diddles the kids to show he would never diddle the kids.
Cause he's got empathy.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
So is he backing those ramps because of empathy?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2015, 01:41:21 AM »
so he's saying that Tommy's blue hat was indeed a fashion faux pas and that Tommy is therefore lame, but he has empathy for Tommy's lack of style?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
FRIDAY, JULY 10, 2015

"It's the mid 1970's. I'm a three year old boy in Put-In-Bay, Ohil on vacation with my older brother, mother, and father. This is the early vacation a newly white collared family takes to play the role of the typical American family in the 1970s. An innocent time where gas was thirty-six cents a gallon and a first class stamp was a whopping six cents. My parents, high school sweethearts, now in their early 30s, just starting their own American dream. My father is a new promising gynecologist and my mother who's now putting her nursing school training into action. Put-In-Bay poolside my father is reading his newspaper most likely a story about Hurricane Belle hitting the east coast or the nomination of Jimmy Carter for president.*" p.10, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*all of the inclusions and/or exclusions of apostrophes, commas and other punctuation are as written. I paid close attention to get it all verbatim.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
His books are vanity projects, right? There's no way an editor has touched this piddle.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
His books are vanity projects, right? There's no way an editor has touched this piddle.

I'm considering buying it...

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »
Hey there ladies and gentlemen, my apologies for not getting your Daily Reflection up today. I'm laid up with tonsillitis and everyone's favorite inspirational tome is at work.

As soon as I'm back on my feet I'll get these started up again.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »
Hey there ladies and gentlemen, my apologies for not getting your Daily Reflection up today. I'm laid up with tonsillitis and everyone's favorite inspirational tome is at work.

As soon as I'm back on my feet I'll get these started up again.

Drink your Tussionex and rest, we need you at 100% asap
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »
Hey GAY, I need some Doug. Without his wisdom, I'm a little lost...

Hope you are feeling better and ready to sift more gold from the sand.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
MONDAY, JULY 20, 2015

"Another time, I found myself walking up onto a crowded mini ramp in Philadelphia. I heard a loud clink on the top of the ramp and saw a young man grinding across the ramp with his hands. I did a double take. He elevated his skateboard and proceeded to roll down to the other side of the ramp. He performed a whole run on this ramp doing many tricks, without having feet! He had style, grace, and most of all, you could tell he was enjoying himself. After his flawless run on the ramp, he walked hiimself on his hands on the deck of the ramp to the sound of complete silence. I was troubled that the other people on the ramp didn't cheer him on as they were doing for the other skaters. So I stood up and said, "Come on guys that was an awesome run, give this guy some credit." I proceeded to clap, and the rest of the skaters slowly followed in applause. This gesture wasn't to draw attention to the fact that he had no legs. It was that he was a really good skater, and the other riders shouldn't be silenced to cheer him on because of that. We are all in the same boat here. All our differences make us whole. To fear and misunderstand lends itself to hatred." p.84-85, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »
MONDAY, JULY 20, 2015

"Another time, I found myself walking up onto a crowded mini ramp in Philadelphia. I heard a loud clink on the top of the ramp and saw a young man grinding across the ramp with his hands. I did a double take. He elevated his skateboard and proceeded to roll down to the other side of the ramp. He performed a whole run on this ramp doing many tricks, without having feet! He had style, grace, and most of all, you could tell he was enjoying himself. After his flawless run on the ramp, he walked hiimself on his hands on the deck of the ramp to the sound of complete silence. I was troubled that the other people on the ramp didn't cheer him on as they were doing for the other skaters. So I stood up and said, "Come on guys that was an awesome run, give this guy some credit." I proceeded to clap, and the rest of the skaters slowly followed in applause. This gesture wasn't to draw attention to the fact that he had no legs. It was that he was a really good skater, and the other riders shouldn't be silenced to cheer him on because of that. We are all in the same boat here. All our differences make us whole. To fear and misunderstand lends itself to hatred." p.84-85, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

he knew

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »
TUESDAY, JULY 21, 2015

"In the time spent off my skateboard I'm faithful to my exercise bike. Im' a huge advocate of physical fitness. The relationship between the body and the mind is an important one. While I'm working out I'm fueling my body and my mind." p.69, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JULY 22, 2015

"Think about your own life. Your own direction. Your triangle of components. The mind, body and soul. Are you in search of your purpose? Are you where you want to be in life? By looking inward and getting to know the authentic you, you will be able to reach outwardly to contribute to the world with positivity and conscious." p.108, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
sometimes is seems doug here is just browsing FB for inspirational quote pictures and is then expanding on them, producing an endless stream of positivity only a real psycho could endure

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
THURSDAY, JULY 23, 2015

"Our concept of love begins at the moment we enter this world. The very first reflex we are born with is within the mouth. The ability of a newborn baby to form its mouth to pull forward is one of their very first reflexes. This action is essential for survival. The relationship between mother and child involves nurturing, caring and that overwhelming feeling of protection. All elements apparent in the seeds that make up love. You will never hear a new mother simply stating that she likes her baby. You will only hear and see a flood of emotion and admiration expressing nothing but blissful love." p.42, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
sometimes is seems doug here is just browsing FB for inspirational quote pictures and is then expanding on them, producing an endless stream of positivity only a real psycho could endure
I was gonna say he should have called the book, "Life Lessons by Captain Obvious". I've read all the quotes Gay has posted and so far have seen nothing I haven't heard before. I guess therein lies the comedy of it...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
What do you expect from someone who prefers Luke to Han?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:21 AM »
FRIDAY, JULY 24, 2015

"We only have one life to live.* Life's journey is built upon taking risks and leaps of faith.** With courage, time, and discipline you can achieve anything.*** Every single one of us has a dream.**** There is something you aspire to be or achieve.***** Don't let anyone take that dream away from you, no matter what.****** There will be times when people will tell you that you can't do something.******* There will be countless road blocks.******** Excuses will pile whether it be lack of money, connections, or resources.********* If your brain and heart are connected to your desires to achieve, nothing will stand in your way.**********" p.54, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »
MONDAY, JULY 27, 2015

"How did I get here? From my experiences as a youth in the theater that morphed to my time in a band and ultimately led to my discovery of skateboarding. All of these elements seemed unrelated but blended together and became the critical experiences that made up my life, my center, my dreams coming true. I've never really had that moment of saying 'I'm at the top of a miuntain. I made it!' Throughout my life I've had baby steps that led from one plateau to the next. Embracing accomplishment and having pride is a sign of self confidence. I've always been secure with the heights I've reached. Yes, as a child I set my sights high for where I wanted to be." p.52 Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
TUESDAY, JULY 28, 2015

"I always had a lot of female friends. I was always closer to my girlfriends families than my own. Then again, my brother has always had female friends, my father always had female friends. I mean, my goodness, my dad is a gynecologist." p.29, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
WEDNESDAY, JULY 29, 2015

"It never fails. When I talk to people about my first book being published or anything book related, I hear, 'I'm going to write a book someday.' They are completely sincere. Everyone has a story or something they want to share on paper. The problem lies with the first step. 'How do you go about writing a book?' My answer? 'Pick up a pen and put it on paper.' It doesn't take a genius to get to the finish line of accomplishment. It starts with self confidence, desire and vision. If you're standing on the pier of a lake and see your dream sitting firm in the middle of the island what do you do? You better be able to swim. If you are compelled enough to do something worth doing, do it. Never give up on a sure good thing." p.50-51, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown