Author Topic: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown  (Read 47615 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3334
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: "Daily Reflections" with Doug Brown
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »
THURSDAY, JULY 30, 2015

"People share their stories with me often, especially after one of of (sic) my Skate Straight performances. On my website there is an email link* that a visitor can share their own story through. I receive pages of stories that relate to drug and alcohol abuse. Many stories that I read I get choked up over. Stories from all ages and all walks of life. People pour their memories into their email. In return it becomes a form of therapy for them to release their story to me." p.98, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* I looked everywhere on his website for a link to contact Mr. Brown. I can't find it anywhere. I can, however, find a shit-ton of links to contact his agent, Hillary.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2015, 08:35:25 AM »
FRIDAY, JULY 31, 2015

"Growing up, my father was my encyclopedia. I was a little 'sponge asking questions' machine. Thank goodness* he is an intellectual with a vast vocabulary. Sure, we learn things in school, but who really remembers the details of the four stages of the metamorphosis of a butterfly? The gold in my father's teachings were the morals and values. How to treat a lady. How to respect people. How to have an open mind. How to be compassionate to others. How to be empathetic to others. There are a couple stories I carry with me about my father." p.30, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*Thank goodness, indeed.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2015, 08:47:36 AM »
FRIDAY, JULY 31, 2015

"Growing up, my father was my encyclopedia. I was a little 'sponge asking questions' machine. Thank goodness* he is an intellectual with a vast vocabulary. Sure, we learn things in school, but who really remembers the details of the four stages of the metamorphosis of a butterfly? The gold in my father's teachings were the morals and values. How to treat a lady. How to respect people. How to have an open mind. How to be compassionate to others. How to be empathetic to others. There are a couple stories I carry with me about my father." p.30, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

*Thank goodness, indeed.

I'm not sure if 'How to treat a lady' and 'How to have an open mind' are a hundred percent compatible. Scat for example, is that how to treat a lady? = No. Is that how to be open minded? = Yes.

Is he making actual sense in these monologues? I'm unsure...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:20 AM »
MONDAY, AUGUST 3, 2015

"I had a signature pro skateboard model..." p.21, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
TUESDAY, AUGUST 4, 2015

"A person dying from a terminal illness can still have more hope and optimism than the grumpy lady at the grocery store. We must nurture our triangle components of mind, body and soul. Feeding our mind with literature and education. The brain is fiercely powerful. Taking care of our bodies with exercise and respect. Feeding our soul with finding our sense of self and being in tune with our emotions." p.107, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5, 2015

"When chasing a record deal throughout my twenties, I learned a great deal about the importance of marketing and the harsh reality of that business. I acquired an agent during this time. I was armed with the agent, some skateboard skills, some performing skills, and some business skills. Was it a dream of mine growing up to be a pro skater? No. Being a kid from Ohio this was never ever an option in my brain. The thought seriously never crossed my mind." p.51-52, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
THURSDAY, AUGUST 6, 2015

"Love is just a word, but with actions and gestures you can speak volumes to those you care for. If you have a significant other, put them on the pedestal they deserve to be on. After all they are the ones who make your cloudy days turn sunny.* They take your imperfections and see them as your perfections. Hold on tightly and enjoy the ride that is love." p.45, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
FRIDAY, AUGUST 7, 2015

"I have no shortage of stories of adventure and the accolades that come with my profession. I grew up in the theater. I never ran from the spotlight. In my youth I was in a bubble of non-stop creativity. In early grade school the seeds were planted for my artistic future. I was a one man band called Poetic Justice. I wrote original songs and produced albums complete with a tour itinerary. The carpet strands were my audience for indoor gigs, while outside the grass blades provided the audience there." RECORD SCRATCH.....REWIND "The carpet strands were my audience for indoor gigs, while outside the grass blades provided the audience there. These were elaborate productions. Fortunately, my encouraging mother swept me from this creative adventure and persuaded me to go to an audition of Tom Sawyer* with the Akron Children's Theater. At the ripe old age of nine, I landed the part of To Sawyer and became somewhat of a childhood actor. I was engulfed in dramatic arts and dance. Countless plays and performances led me to feel at home on that stage. I learned volumes in my youth about professionalism and responsibility." p.15, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
MONDAY, AUGUST 10, 2015

"There are several ways to combat bullying. Teaching empathy opens the window for the understanding of caring for and respecting others. It's not acceptable to harass, threaten, stalk, bully, inflict suffering or cause harm to others. We should embrace our differences. That's the beauty in life and society. If we all looked, dressed and acted the same we would be stripped of our voluminous individuality. I always say don't let anyone take away your dreams. Well, don't let anyone take away yourself. Don't let anyone tell you how to dress or try to conform you to be someone other than your authentic self.* Be the perfect being you want to be. You are worthy of that. Only you can create you. Embrace the things you like and enjoy." p.80-81, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

* I've been 2 paradise, but I've never been 2 me.  :'(

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:32 AM »
I was going to mock that poor lady's prose in the Furby thread, but compared to Doug, she's Mark fuckin Twain

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11, 2015

"My story is actually a simple one in nature. I had gone through adverse times, but nothing that could stop me from moving forward. I was chasing a dream and didn't even realize it. It was the passing of time and how I chose to fill up those days over the years. I never sat still on an idea or project. The pursuit of happiness is different for everyone. I found that making sacrifices for the ability to be happy was worth it. I might not have all the money in the world, but I achieved what I set out to. I don't measure success by material items. The kind of car a person drives shouldn't determine the measure of a man. The size of someone's house shouldn't be a yardstick measurement of happiness. This materialistic synthetic world has us believing that the heavier the money bag on the weight scale is, the happier the individual. That is wrong. I've been happy broke and miserable with money." p.54-55, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12, 2015

"What's the alternative? If we care enough about someone or a group of individuals we should take initiative to give help. Think of our mentors, teachers, doctors and so on. Those who give without thought of reward, just the act of helping. There is a cycle and has a sense to it all. Do what you can, where you can, to make a difference." p.101, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
Holy shit, does he just ramble for a few hundred pages?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »
Dude is going to be one of those grandpas that just can't stop spreading their wisdom. I bet he is going to keep a room decorated in his signature products in his house too.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »
THURSDAY, AUGUST 13, 2015

"Years ago, while waiting for my plane at the Houston airport I started writing my book on a scrap piece of paper. When the pen hit the paper I didn't expect that seven years later my story would be affecting a life in such a profound way. Something simple yet powerful." p.65, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »
Review from Amazon:

Yet another great book to go along with Beyond the board and the in site into the man who is Doug Brown. Highly recommended.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12, 2015

"What's the alternative? If we care enough about someone or a group of individuals we should take initiative to give help. Think of our mentors, teachers, doctors and so on. Those who give without thought of reward, just the act of helping. There is a cycle and has a sense to it all. Do what you can, where you can, to make a difference." p.101, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »
Good heavens that gif is troubling...ahem...whew...ah...OK

FRIDAY, AUGUST 14, 2015

"The cracks in the pavement of hate can be seen in bullying. Bullying has always existed throughout time. The activity has become more sinister and worse through the decades. In my parents day you could see it on TV where Eddie Haskell from Leave It to Beaver*. His antics were always creating turmoil in any situation. In my childhood, we saw it portrayed in the movie A Christmas Story**. Scut Farkus was always waiting after school for Ralphie and his friends to pass the 'uncle test'." p.79, Looking Glass Self - Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
MONDAY, AUGUST 17, 2015

"We never stop learning, so anyone teaching you a skill can be a form of a mentor or role model. As humans we are never complete. Children are incomplete human beings. Their brains aren't fully developed yet. Lack of experience and knowledge is why kids rebel and question authority. Otherwise, we would assigning a fourteen year old to be the president of the United States. Being incomplete isn't a back step on mankind, it's a process. We become mature, functioning adults only over the passage of time." p.33, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
TUESDAY, AUGUST 18, 2015

"I'm happy to be a voice for the black sheep or the underdog. I grew up in a family where I was the black sheep. Don't dismiss that inner voice telling you that you are different or unique. In skateboarding you see a lot of conforming and imitation. Something that has to do art and creativity should have zero stylistic boundaries or rules. I'm constantly reminded of this in my travels with what I see." p.81, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 19, 2015

"I spend more time now on the stage reaching the youth than doing skate competitions or industry events. I started my own foundation, Skate Straight. The title and concept were inspired by the 1978 TV documentary Scared Straight. Skateboarding has its place in my life and it always will. However, my primary focus has been to outreach and make a difference in people's lives. I've worked with the American Red Cross, SADD, and the St. Baldrick's Foundation. I'm now an all star member for Athletes for Hope." p.23, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:30 AM »
THURSDAY, AUGUST 20, 2015

"Early in my skate career, I was invited to join a demo team from a local skate shop to do a performance for a Kid's Day event. I met this nice kid that showed up to the event with my signature pro board in hand. He nervously approached me, asking if I would sign his board. I had told him yes, but we should skate first. I could tell he was excited, and we went to the far end of the course, away from the hectic skate traffic. Shortly after, I could hear the snickers and giggles coming from the other skaters with the skate shop demo team. Whether or not they were laughing because he didn't fit their teenage punk rock mold or because I was making an effort to help him was unclear. 'How old do you think I am?' the kid asked. I said, 'Twelve or so?' He firmly said he was sixteen and had leukemia. Then I said, 'How old do you think I am?' He replied with, 'Nineteen?' I told him I was in my thirties and we both had something in common with people guessing our ages wrong. Bonding on that fact, I showed him how to do a few basic tricks. The demo skaters making fun of him had no clue he was the exact same age as them. As he was skating, the leukemia was absent from his universe. This small transaction with this young man left an impression on me how people are quick to judge those they don't know or understand. He was very thankful that I took the time to skate with him. He had soul, and skateboarding was lucky to have him involved." p.83, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2015, 09:04:08 AM »
FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2015

"A mentor's voice can be reborn and reused within the admirer at hand." p.25, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: August 24, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
MONDAY, AUGUST 24, 2015

"We have the same ability to love as we do to hate. Look what we can create with the positivity of love. Look what we can destroy with the negativity of hate. Deep in the roots of mankind, we have the seeds of destruction and anger. Responsibility with reason and virtue is to overcome hate We have control of our physical actions as well as our active mind." p.78, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2015

"I was producing my own albums and even scored an agent to help with my efforts. Although I was being paid to have my hands on a guitar it still wasn't enough. My tunnel vision was set on getting a major record deal and pursuing a career in music. I had many opportunities and even had a video produced with lights, set, a crew, the works." p.18, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:50 AM »
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2015

"Today kids have the heavy artillery of the internet and cell phones. No longer can the victim take the evening off in the comfort of their own home. These negative messages can now be injected anywhere to become a twenty-four hour a day nightmare.
     With the rise of violence on television, movies, and video games we are creating a numb nation; hate is learned. We don't enter the planet being able to instantly walk, talk or drive a car." p.79, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »
THURSDAY, AUGUST 27, 2015

"I'm not a celebrity of political figure. Never the less, skateboarding has become my job. This is how I eat and pay my bills. I figured after two or three years this would run its course and the phone would stop ringing. Sponsors have come and gone and I always kept moving forward. What does this all mean? How do I digest or analyze my life up till this point? I've always measured success by one thing, happiness. Money, fame, and praise are not the answers. I would be skating regardless of a paycheck. The biggest paycheck I receive is the connection I make with someone as a result of my position. Being a role model and mentor is embraceable." p.22, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
FRIDAY, AUGUST 28, 2015

"Being able to travel and skate many different places opens the door to meet new and inspirational people Yes, I've skated with many pros and have rubbed shoulders with celebrities, actors and musicians. It's always enlightening meeting celebs, but I've found in my life it's people who have gone through trials and tribulations above and beyond who have left the strongest impression and have been a source of true inspiration." p.83, Hope, Optimism and the Journey Within; Doug Brown