Author Topic: Skate chucks and regular chucks, what are the differences?  (Read 2203 times)

The Woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
I know they have have the lunaron insole but I have been skating footprint insoles, so basically I was wondering if I could save some coin by buying regular chucks and just using different insoles or are there any major differences, I have never skated in chucks but have been wanting to try some recently.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

pootysnacks

• Rep: -8
  • HI
    • SATANSWEINER avatar image
Re: Skate chucks and regular chucks, what are the differences?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
cant tell if troll, or...??

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
They have more heavy duty canvas as well. Or suede.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
The outsole is the biggest improvement. Can't skip out on that

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
the new ones have a forum search function

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
I'll tell you the difference.  Getting the insoles out of the non-skate ones is a pain in the fucking dick.

that is all.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »

Suede would help but I don't care how heavy that canvas is I'd have to use shoe-goo for sure.
-Gandhi

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
fucked my ankle skating a hubba ledge in some low CTAs. my fault, but keep in mind they aren't the most supportive shoe on the market

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
I'll tell you the difference.  Getting the insoles out of the non-skate ones is a pain in the fucking dick.

that is all.

I go half size up (or.. true size instead of half size down) and then stick an emerica g6 insole in there (on top of the glued in sole). It's thin so it works, and baby my feet are cloudin

Expand Quote
[close]

Suede would help but I don't care how heavy that canvas is I'd have to use shoe-goo for sure.

Yeah, it makes the shoe a little sturdier though so thats nice.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:17:16 PM by Deekay »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
I actually see more people skating the normal ones these days. Must be a style thing or because they're cheaper, because they sure as hell aren't more comfortable, unless you change out the insoles, which can be quite the hassle of you don't know how to do it right. Prepare to be digging out chunks of foam with a chisel for a while. I will admit that after you go through the hassle of putting new insoles in them they feel pretty damn good though. The outsole has felt on it too, so you'll probably be slipping around until it wears off.

cletus the slack jawed yokel

• Rep: 7
  • big money big cars!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
how people skate in this crap ?

Jordick

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
The skate cons will last a real long time. The suede is really thick, and same with the toe. Also, that lunarlon insole is amazing. I put it in every show I put on. I'm not really a big fan of skating in them though, the way they fit on my feet just isn't very comfortable to me.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »
I actually see more people skating the normal ones these days. Must be a style thing or because they're cheaper, because they sure as hell aren't more comfortable, unless you change out the insoles, which can be quite the hassle of you don't know how to do it right. Prepare to be digging out chunks of foam with a chisel for a while. I will admit that after you go through the hassle of putting new insoles in them they feel pretty damn good though. The outsole has felt on it too, so you'll probably be slipping around until it wears off.

I bought a pair of Supra Stacks recently that had felt on the outsole, I ordered them online so I had no idea until they got here. Why in the world would you do that to a skate shoe?
-Gandhi

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I bought a pair of Supra Stacks recently that had felt on the outsole, I ordered them online so I had no idea until they got here. Why in the world would you do that to a skate shoe?

New DVS daewon has that too. It's to tax them as slippers. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/this-is-why-your-converse-sneakers-have-felt-on-the-bottom-6016648/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

sports

• Rep: 21
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

New DVS daewon has that too. It's to tax them as slippers. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/this-is-why-your-converse-sneakers-have-felt-on-the-bottom-6016648/

Wow it changes the tax from 37% to 3%, thats crazy! no wonder companies do that now.
-Gandhi

Rafiki

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
Skate cons are alot thicker of material but I just skate regular ones because I am cheap. Chucks have the best board feel.

Crybaby Shithead

• Rep: -44
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
my polar cons are def. thicker/sturdier than my standard chucks

Dengles

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 12:53:54 AM »
Regular Chucks take a bit of work to make skate-able.  First I replace insole with a higher quality one, then I have a light session to find out exactly where my ollie hole will be forming and shoe goe the shit out of it.  Also I try to scrape the bottom felt away but that's a pain in the ass to do.  Honestly skating Regular Chucks takes a good bit of work to make them into a decent skate shoe and it's really not worth it for the style points unless you have nothing better to do with your time.  I would just buy the skate chucks if I were you. 

skate

• Rep: -16
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
I've tried both and I prefer regular chucks, but that's just my personal preference. Not a big fan of lunarlon insoles in chucks, plus every skate chuck I've had gave me blisters after 2 sesh's, at least the low tops. My complaint on the hi top skate chucks are the laces rip wayyy too fast.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:36:05 AM by skate »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Honestly, in my opinion, if you don't replace the insoles for normal chucks they're the most uncomfortable shoes ever. They're really thin and they feel hard and they have no support at all. If I do get a pair of normal chucks I usually scrape out the insoles and throw some lunarlons in there or some vans supercush insoles. They pretty much feel exactly like the skate ones when you put in new insoles. Sometimes you'll find some non skate chucks in certain limited colorways that have pretty decent insoles that have a bit of cushion, but for the normal colorways (black and white, all black, white, etc.) they always have shitty insoles. I don't know how some people skate them how they come. I just can't do it. I like my feet way too much.