Author Topic: Grosso's Loveletters is back  (Read 7550 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Grosso's Loveletters is back
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
obviously he and some of the other older vert pros are still bitter about street totally killing their career in about 6 months......which on one hand is understandable, but Lance or Cab for instance stuck with it and adapted, instead of "climbing into a bottle", like Grosso himself said if I remember right.

Fair enough, I see your point here (and you certainly framed it better than he did) but as you said countless others got on with their life, continued to skate and you know what? It pretty much paid off for every single one of them!
I get that rise of street killed '80s vert but he was just wailing on rodney when it was uncalled for. He could blame 100 other people/ factors for the initial death of vert, but that's not what he chose to do. As I said, I usually really enjoy his show but he came off waaaay too sour in this one.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

deadhead

• Rep: -2
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 12:59:46 AM »
But they specifically said the industrie people decided that street was going to be the new thing they marketed to kids, i really don't think they were blaming rodney

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:03 AM »
But they specifically said the industrie people decided that street was going to be the new thing they marketed to kids, i really don't think they were blaming rodney

maybe "blame" wasn't the correct word here, but it came across as let's all hate/ wail on mullen episode (without acknowledging that mullen IS one of the essential components to modern day street slating (albeit with a little bit of a push from ternasky)).

idk, I'm sure Rodney won't lose any sleep over it :-\
 *shrugs*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kools

• Rep: -45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2015, 01:57:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

maybe "blame" wasn't the correct word here, but it came across as let's all hate/ wail on mullen episode (without acknowledging that mullen IS one of the essential components to modern day street slating (albeit with a little bit of a push from ternasky)).

idk, I'm sure Rodney won't lose any sleep over it :-\
 *shrugs*

and Mullen is closely tied to early World Industries that really led the charge for cool street skating.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »
As someone who started skating in the mid 80s, Grosso can say that street skating was manufactured but the fact was 98% of America was never going to see a vert ramp. If you owned a skateboard, chances were you would never ride transition.

Of course seeing Gonz, Guerrero, and Natas gave everyone direction but to not give Mullen credit for inventing the flat ground ollie, the basis for all modern street skating is absurd. Especially after going out of his way to credit Jeff Tatum and Monty Nolder as the originators of backside versions of existing tricks, his treatment of Rodney seems super petty.

Grosso can't ollie, confirmed.