Author Topic: Venture Trucks  (Read 15180 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Venture Trucks
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty sure I saw that they will be making a 6.1 truck (8.75 i guess), I saw John Dilo setting them up in his instastory's. Didnt take any screenshot tho...
[close]

Wild that he skates em that wide. I also rarely see pros setups. Seems that most pro setups I’ve seen (internet) are just the basic cast trucks. Wonder why.
[close]

Because they get them for free.

Hollows, Forged, Titaniums, all cost more and sponsors can't give them away to everyone given how big the teams are.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule tho based on how currently popular you are/contest placements, etc.
[close]

I would have thought anyone skating for a truck company could get any rare metal truck they made, for free.

I don't know man, you see all those NHS product pillages, EVERYONE grabs standard Indys...you don't think they'd grab some TI to skate or sell off? Not even nabbing hollows. Now I'm sure SOME people are locked into skating standards, they're used to it. I remember Cole saying he rode hollows because he rides a big board and Asta skating Ti.

I like light boards but look at Smith or Joslin, 8.3/8.5 + 149 Standards, Kader, in a few years he'll be riding 12" with 215s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty sure I saw that they will be making a 6.1 truck (8.75 i guess), I saw John Dilo setting them up in his instastory's. Didnt take any screenshot tho...
[close]

Wild that he skates em that wide. I also rarely see pros setups. Seems that most pro setups I’ve seen (internet) are just the basic cast trucks. Wonder why.
[close]

Because they get them for free.

Hollows, Forged, Titaniums, all cost more and sponsors can't give them away to everyone given how big the teams are.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule tho based on how currently popular you are/contest placements, etc.
[close]

I would have thought anyone skating for a truck company could get any rare metal truck they made, for free.
[close]

I don't know man, you see all those NHS product pillages, EVERYONE grabs standard Indys...you don't think they'd grab some TI to skate or sell off? Not even nabbing hollows. Now I'm sure SOME people are locked into skating standards, they're used to it. I remember Cole saying he rode hollows because he rides a big board and Asta skating Ti.

I like light boards but look at Smith or Joslin, 8.3/8.5 + 149 Standards, Kader, in a few years he'll be riding 12" with 215s.

I really assumed they just didn’t need the light, and that’s just my light ass not having enough power. Damn. It’s just hella rare for pros to show their setups, in general, but also with ultra tech products. Maybe consistent product better than tech? I agree stuff can few too light, but once a board goes past 8.5 I’m looking for advantages

Kader riding ventures? I like to see people switching it up. I’m sure, let’s say golfers, try other shit

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Got a set of the 6.1(8.75) so stoked.
Damn they feel nice.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
Damn they feel nice.

any word on the public release and if they'll be coming out with V-hollows or titanium?  can't wait!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 11:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Damn they feel nice.
[close]

any word on the public release and if they'll be coming out with V-hollows or titanium?  can't wait!

Yes. Curious about this as well. Also just curious to how you like them/how they feel for pop and such

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »

ballintoohard

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
Just wanted to put it somewhere- I have cast 5.6 and V-Light 5.8 with the forged baseplates. The forged plates do move the axle back 1/4" per truck.  I might franken them together to use cast plates on my 5.8 hangers if I go back to em.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Just wanted to put it somewhere- I have cast 5.6 and V-Light 5.8 with the forged baseplates. The forged plates do move the axle back 1/4" per truck.  I might franken them together to use cast plates on my 5.8 hangers if I go back to em.

As in the forged plates make you wheelbase half an inch shorter than on cast plates or vice versa?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2019, 03:55:29 PM »
As in the forged plates make you wheelbase half an inch shorter than on cast plates or vice versa?

For Ventures, cast plates = shorter WB. Forged plates = longer WB. There was a photoset posted about it in the truck thread. It's kind of wild.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For Ventures, cast plates = shorter WB. Forged plates = longer WB. There was a photoset posted about it in the truck thread. It's kind of wild.

:O That is wild. I have the forged plates and noticed it did extend my wheelbase by about ~.275 inches compared to indys which was a bit more than what I was expecting, feels good though.

It's cool that the hangar (which I assume to be identical) works just as well in both baseplates despite the slightly different geometry. Leads me to think that there are probably a lot of undiscovered mix n match hangar/baseplate combinations out there that work well.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

:O That is wild. I have the forged plates and noticed it did extend my wheelbase by about ~.275 inches compared to indys which was a bit more than what I was expecting, feels good though.

It's cool that the hangar (which I assume to be identical) works just as well in both baseplates despite the slightly different geometry. Leads me to think that there are probably a lot of undiscovered mix n match hangar/baseplate combinations out there that work well.
This shit again. It's just one dude complaining and now people are running with it. If there's any difference, it's margin of error small, millimeter shit.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
This shit again. It's just one dude complaining and now people are running with it. If there's any difference, it's margin of error small, millimeter shit.

First things first, chill. The man asked a question to a known thing, if you think this photo shows an inconsequential measurement, fine, but it might to someone else. And whether you disagree with the affect of the lengthened wheelbase, it's not 'millimetre shit.' People come here to nerd out on gear, just because you don't care about a measurement doesn't mean it's inaccurate information. But if you take one thing away from this admittedly passive aggressive post, go pm or email Reed at DLX, he'll tell you straight up it's by design.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.5520

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:52:57 PM by palelight »

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 06:54:54 PM »
Who needs to chill?! Goddamn 😂 write another paragraph about trucks you giant fucking pussy. How about you email Reed? I’m just going off my 2 set ups, one with v lights and the other with raws. They’re the fucking same, or if they’re different, it’s inconsequential.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
Who needs to chill?! Goddamn 😂 write another paragraph about trucks you giant fucking pussy. How about you email Reed? I’m just going off my 2 set ups, one with v lights and the other with raws. They’re the fucking same, or if they’re different, it’s inconsequential.

Good talk man, always a pleasure.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »
I think the difference between the two equals the difference in height which would make the point that the tail or nose hits the same.
On my board I measure an 1/8th inch difference from axle to axle between the two.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »
I think the difference between the two equals the difference in height which would make the point that the tail or nose hits the same.
On my board I measure an 1/8th inch difference from axle to axle between the two.

That was the assumption in the truck thread and it makes sense.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The geometry isn't different. The mounting holes are in slightly different positions, that is all.*

*This is my understanding, which might not be a true 100% fact.

ballintoohard

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
I measured all my trucks on the same board.  The V-light's extend the wheelbase by 3/8" over cast.  Cast extend .125 more than Thunder 148 Ti, which are .25 over Indy forged hollows.

As for the difference I really only noticed on the V-lights. Anecdotally the Venture cast feel more like an Indy than a Thunder.

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:28 PM »

Having had 3 ankle surgeries in 2018 for bone spur removal, I've been forced to appreciate the relationship between wheelbase, concave, and board kick. Your ability to consider these differences as "inconsequential" is a privilege.
Rotate your wheels regularly.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Having had 3 ankle surgeries in 2018 for bone spur removal, I've been forced to appreciate the relationship between wheelbase, concave, and board kick. Your ability to consider these differences as "inconsequential" is a privilege.

While I've not had to deal with surgeries, I do have a perma-tweaked ankle and certain setups totally fuck with worse than others. I feel you!

thebaggy

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2020, 02:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's some of what I've learned: most of my bone spur fragments were located at the anterior impingement of my ankle ( hot pocket area ). I will always have scar tissue on the insides of my ankles that gets inflamed, sometimes even pinching in between my talus and tibia. By virtue of a short wheelbase my feet are naturally closer together, this causes my angle of balance to be tighter ( and more centered over the back axis of my board ) which forces my feet to cant outward to maintain stability. I've found that I'm more prone to ankle pain, swelling hot pockets if this is the case ( this is compounded by taller, shorter wheelbase trucks with deep turning i.e Aces ). The opposite is true of a longer wheelbase board, my legs being farther apart allows my weight to displace more naturally to the outsides of my feet which relieves pressure on the insides of my ankles.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here's some of what I've learned: most of my bone spur fragments were located at the anterior impingement of my ankle ( hot pocket area ). I will always have scar tissue on the insides of my ankles that gets inflamed, sometimes even pinching in between my talus and tibia. By virtue of a short wheelbase my feet are naturally closer together, this causes my angle of balance to be tighter ( and more centered over the back axis of my board ) which forces my feet to cant outward to maintain stability. I've found that I'm more prone to ankle pain, swelling hot pockets if this is the case ( this is compounded by taller, shorter wheelbase trucks with deep turning i.e Aces ). The opposite is true of a longer wheelbase board, my legs being farther apart allows my weight to displace more naturally to the outsides of my feet which relieves pressure on the insides of my ankles.

I have a very similar situation with scar tissue on my knee, but with the reverse necessities. I need a wb that's short enough without being unstable for landings, and with enough lean in the trucks that if I have a slightly jank landing that I can ride out said shitty landing rather than being bounced off the board. Bodies are weird.

For the sake of the historical record Dog and I buried the hatchet about our truck nonsense before he focused. Had some good convo's about Puleo and Ventures while we were at it.

thebaggy

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a very similar situation with scar tissue on my knee, but with the reverse necessities. I need a wb that's short enough without being unstable for landings, and with enough lean in the trucks that if I have a slightly jank landing that I can ride out said shitty landing rather than being bounced off the board. Bodies are weird.

For the sake of the historical record Dog and I buried the hatchet about our truck nonsense before he focused. Had some good convo's about Puleo and Ventures while we were at it.

Tha makes a lot of sense for a knee issue. I've delt with quad tendon tear and inflammation in the past, switched to less wide trucks allowing me to control my turns with my feet a little easier and rely less on my knees, body. Oddly enough the doctor told me to punch my quad tendon as often as possible to increase blood flow and after about a month of constantly assaulting it while driving it healed. Shits goofy.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean....what’d ya say? I can’t tell if he was always on 5.0 lo’s or if he switched to 5.2s.
His ability to skate the crust, on 50 mm wheels and lo’s, and these days doing it in af1s, fucking amazing

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »
I've always attributed my scoliosis to fingers of flat....but this thread.....has me thinking otherwise....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
I've always attributed my scoliosis to fingers of flat....but this thread.....has me thinking otherwise....

Everyone knows scoliosis is dependent on if you ride MOB or Jessup.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
Had some good convo's about Puleo and Ventures while we were at it.
What did he say? Tell us.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Had some good convo's about Puleo and Ventures while we were at it.
[close]
What did he say? Tell us.

Yes yes