Author Topic: Why is there a lack of midtops?  (Read 3497 times)

Thrashin4Passion

Why is there a lack of midtops?
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:02:42 AM »
Whenever I buy skate shoes, I always look for mid tops because of ankle support. The only reason I would guess is because of less flexibility, but I can do any trick equal when skating mids or lows. I'm not saying mid tops don't exist, but there are around only 5 different pairs on a shoe wall at most shops I go to.

Lonechicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Why is there a lack of midtops?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
I've converted down to lows. I guess I've bought into all the recent research that mids and even highs might do more harm than good. And even taking the debate of ankle safety out of the equation, mids and high tops are not good for knees.

http://breakingmuscle.com/family-kids/high-tops-are-ruining-your-kids-feet-and-knees
^ Less medical/technical of a read than most of the stuff that comes up via Google.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
I've converted down to lows. I guess I've bought into all the recent research that mids and even highs might do more harm than good. And even taking the debate of ankle safety out of the equation, mids and high tops are not good for knees.

http://breakingmuscle.com/family-kids/high-tops-are-ruining-your-kids-feet-and-knees
^ Less medical/technical of a read than most of the stuff that comes up via Google.

I could be wrong because I just skimmed through the article but it looks like they're talking about growing children wearing high tops every day, all day.  Which make sense in reducing the range of motion while growing.

In skating people wear mid or high tops to prevent your board from bashing up your ankles in which they would serve their purpose

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
Midtops have to be somewhat bulky and bulky shoes are out of style these days. A low profile/thin midtop would look weird

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I could be wrong because I just skimmed through the article but it looks like they're talking about growing children wearing high tops every day, all day.  Which make sense in reducing the range of motion while growing.

In skating people wear mid or high tops to prevent your board from bashing up your ankles in which they would serve their purpose

Yeah, that one's talking about kids because it's a fashion thing too. But there are articles and research papers around as well for the general population that talk about similar stuff.

I do miss the protection from getting smacked by a board, but I figured bruises are the lesser of evils compared to bad knees.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
the algorithms that run things decided that we don't want them anymore.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
hardly art, hardly starving

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
skating these right now, and they are pretty much the best of both worlds, vulc and mid.

highly recommended.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
I've never gotten ankle support out of mids, they aren't tall enough to provide real support.

Most people rock lows due to range of movement (also, less material, same price for manufactureres ;)

Best thing about mids is the fact they keep my front ankle from getting shredded; I always rip it up olling really tall stuff.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Midtops have to be somewhat bulky and bulky shoes are out of style these days. A low profile/thin midtop would look weird

I wish Emerica would make the laced high again but with a better sole, they were a thin shoe and they looked good but the sole that came with them was garbage, it was just hard not padded.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
I skate nothing but mid or high tops for like the last 10 years or so....they help me....they aren't trendy anymore....so yeah...I've had a tougher time lately and stock pile.....

Got two pairs of star players and two pairs of Huf classics coming.....all the supra stuff seems bulky.....ideally I'd skate Blazers....

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wish Emerica would make the laced high again but with a better sole, they were a thin shoe and they looked good but the sole that came with them was garbage, it was just hard not padded.

Romero Laced Mid and/or Figgy Mid please!

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 09:58:58 PM »
how cool did nick trapasso look skating in half cabs?

foureyedjim

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
cons ctas pro / huf classic hi's are okay, they're trendier than Blazers and sk8 hi's (my favorite mid tops).

If lakai made more mid tops I'd cop.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
Wanted these so bad when they came out, one of a kind. PLZ Vans reissue this beauty(sorta)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
how cool did nick trapasso matt reason and fred gall look skating in half cabs?

;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 05:20:34 AM »
Severe decline in mid-height ankles since SARS, 12 years ago. Harsh barge.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »
I skate nothing but mid or high tops for like the last 10 years or so....they help me....they aren't trendy anymore....so yeah...I've had a tougher time lately and stock pile.....

Got two pairs of star players and two pairs of Huf classics coming.....all the supra stuff seems bulky.....ideally I'd skate Blazers....

I too skate almost exclusively shoes with ankle support and most supras are to bulky but the Vaider LX was a favorite of mine. They are basically the same as the original but they have a cupsole, not an overly bulky sole the the skytop 3, its more comparable to the stacks. the only part of those that are bulky is the very top of the shoe right above the ankle, everything else is pretty thin; and since they dont make them anymore you can sometimes scoop them up on the internet for like $30, I grabbed a pair of navy blue and white ones for $32 a few weeks back.
-Gandhi

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »
I miss dunk mids with the strap. Bus's mid top was a good one does emerica still make that?

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »
I miss dunk mids with the strap. Bus's mid top was a good one does emerica still make that?

I think they only make the vulc now, you can probably still find the cupsole version online somewhere though
-Gandhi

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 07:41:23 AM »
I miss dunk mids with the strap.

bro...dunk mids were the best. hopefully at some point they'll bring them back. i'm almost at the point now where i'm gonna cut down some dunk highs.

kinda want to skate these; think they'd look proper skated up:

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bro...dunk mids were the best. hopefully at some point they'll bring them back. i'm almost at the point now where i'm gonna cut down some dunk highs.

One of the best shoes i have ever skated. they last forever, great grip, great flick and are nice and light.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
One of the best shoes i have ever skated. they last forever, great grip, great flick and are nice and light.

How's the sole? I never bought them cause the sole looked way to stiff, I love a good cupsole but the skytop 3 were way to thick on the bottom and I never bought the Esteban cause I thught the sole liked similar.
-Gandhi

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
Holy shit I meant Hsu  :D

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How's the sole? I never bought them cause the sole looked way to stiff, I love a good cupsole but the skytop 3 were way to thick on the bottom and I never bought the Esteban cause I thught the sole liked similar.
The sole is great, nice and flexible with good board feel , the gray foam is softer than the foam on the skytop 3s and the grip last alot longer. I skated the skytop 3 for a couple weeks and the tred was gone, skated the estaban for almost two months and they still have a ton of grip left.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 05:11:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
The sole is great, nice and flexible with good board feel , the gray foam is softer than the foam on the skytop 3s and the grip last alot longer. I skated the skytop 3 for a couple weeks and the tred was gone, skated the estaban for almost two months and they still have a ton of grip left.

Awesome, thanks Moe
-Gandhi

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »
Skated the Sw1s and they were shittyish. Supra's tread is a joke, if they are still going with that s pattern shit. Go and buy some dunks for sure...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 10:31:43 AM »
Skated the Sw1s and they were shittyish. Supra's tread is a joke, if they are still going with that s pattern shit. Go and buy some dunks for sure...
i skated the SW1's and i really liked them, the grip did wear out kinda fast but the soles on the estaban's last way way longer. ill post a picture of the shoe in a little bit, to show you what they look like after months of skating

The sole of the Skytop 3 after about 3 weeks of skating

The sole of the Estaban after 2 months of skating ( i grind my toes into the grip when setting up alot as well)

Here is the toe cap as well, and i do Alot of flip tricks when i skate

You can see that since the sky 3 they have made alot of improvements in the quality of the sole and the grip.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:43:37 AM by MOE SYZLAK »