Author Topic: why does everyone put bones bushings in their trucks  (Read 25651 times)

KGB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: why does everyone put bones bushings in their trucks
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i fell for the hype when i was on Indys and while they have no 'break in' time, they are basically trash, but since I've been on Aces I have no need for all that bs. I'm not sure who convinced all these people that they need these.
[close]

This guy knows

Bones yellows used to be the best but they crumble in a month now, Ace stock bushings are the nicest out.
[close]
If you ride Ventures, Venture stock bushings are the best.
[close]

I wish I kept mine, but my friends bushings were literally cereal dust when I was installing them on my board, purple venture bushings rule

Yup! You know what’s up, love the purple ones.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1129
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2021, 07:43:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I ride Indys so I don't need to mess with my bushings at all
[close]
why would you care about bushings when you ride 40 pound shit metal?
[close]

I ride Hollows and Adamantiums
wordddd hollow shit metal

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
Yo I need some andimantium trucks

Vivrabiun trucks are too light for me

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »
Skate tight trucks  then bushings don't matter and you get more pop.
The people that have done the highest Ollies regular and switch all ride loose trucks.  I disagree with your more pop theory.  You ever see footage of Donger tic tacking?

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t change your bushings unless they explode.

Stock shit goes hard.
[close]

venture's disagrees
[close]
I did have to buy some new supercush bushings a couple of weeks ago, but they might as well be stock.
[close]

which ones did you get, i usually swap my stock for the orange soft supercush bushings and they feel nice and surfy
I got the green 94duro ones thinking they were 90s. I felt like they weren’t breaking in so I swapped out the bottom bushings. I have the harder green ones on top and the stock purple barrels on the bottom.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »
first of all if you aint riding washers for bushings then idk

second of all, third of all.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
Because it’s trendy? They really are not that great,I mean they are for about 2 weeks then the hard built in bushing cracks the rest of the bushing and they suck. Doesn’t matter how loose your trucks are or how much you weigh they always fail quickly. So either have to replace them constantly or use different ones. If your ok with adding lots of bushings to the landfills I guess they will work for you though. Just my experience.
Two weeks? I ride bones and love them, mine need replacing maybe every six months, wtf are you doing

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
I tried out these Bones HC bushies (medium) in an attempt to avoid catching wheelbite so often on my Thunders without having to stack risers.
Were they nice & broken in feeling from the jump? Yup.
Did they help w/ the wheelbite issue? Naw. Not one bit.
I wanted to believe though, because I thought I could fidget my way out of a feature inherent to the Thunder geometry. After the 1st set blew out, I bought another couple, still thinking I might be able to tweak the ride by messing around with washers, etc.
Still nada, and the 2nd set blew out even quicker. Plus, they’d “herniate” or blow out, and slip past the lip on the hanger’s yoke.
Somebody on the S&G board advised I go back to stock Thunder 90 du bushings, so I gave them a try & what do you fucking know?!?
I still get wheelbite, but every other one of the annoying traits that came w/ the Bones were eliminated.
Now I run my all of my aluminum stock, as it came from the manu, and have very few issues or complaints.
Also of note, unless the stack height of the Bones bottom bushing (deck side) is the same as your stock option, your gonna be messing with the trucks intended geometry. Sure, you can add washers underneath, or slice some off the top of that bottom bush (NOT the end of the bushing you should trim, BTW,) but unless you keep that geo as designed, it’s not unreasonable for your truck to perform differently (maybe a good thing, maybe not) or to suffer undue wear & strain to the pivot cup & housing, hanger pivot, kingpin, etc.
My 7.42¢ worth (after adjusting for inflation.)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Salmon Agah

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »
I feel like they can provide an experience where you have them tight, but they're also springy. So if you put a bunch of weight on one rail they will turn harder than they would with your feet on bolts.

I've known plenty of people who don't like them, but I think they ultimately work better.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »
They feel great right out of the box. If you don’t use the washer they can crack way quicker than any stock bushing. Aside from that they’re alright.

The colors suck. Trivial but they look gross in trucks versus any stock bushing.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2021, 02:23:02 AM »
I got those titanium indys, the stock bushings were heinous as usual
Don’t even care about a bandwagon but for the amount of skating I have done with those titanium’s they are grinded to shit

I mean they aren’t completely grinded to shit but I have skated fuck all this last year, I’d like to see what a young person that skated all day thinks of those titanium indys
I’ll probably cop some aces next

Deadset I had and still have these koston indys
I skated fuck out of those things, mostly ledges but they are still sick trucks now, Indy dropped the quality for sure
listen to cosmic psychos

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2021, 02:54:12 AM »
Because I usually get about seventeen minutes of use out of any stock bushing before they crack harder than Sara Jessica Parker’s face.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2021, 04:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Because it’s trendy? They really are not that great,I mean they are for about 2 weeks then the hard built in bushing cracks the rest of the bushing and they suck. Doesn’t matter how loose your trucks are or how much you weigh they always fail quickly. So either have to replace them constantly or use different ones. If your ok with adding lots of bushings to the landfills I guess they will work for you though. Just my experience.
[close]
Two weeks? I ride bones and love them, mine need replacing maybe every six months, wtf are you doing
just flat ground mostly and I ride the nut flush with the king pin. I was was riding the white/yellow ones for a while until they kept cracking every time so I tried the blue ones and got the same result. Oh and I ride Ventures
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:54:54 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2021, 07:26:24 AM »
lol I don’t understand why everyone on here seems to have such shitty experiences with the bones/venture combo. I’ve had ventures and bones medium ever since I started and I’ve always loved how loose my trucks felt, I also never got the saying that ventures don’t turn, my ventures are slippery as hell and I often turn too steep and end up powersliding by accident.

I also rock bones bushings with Ventures. It's my favourite combo. I put the flat washer under the bottom bushing to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible and use the stock top washer for protection/stability.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2021, 07:27:58 AM »
The Indy ones are perfect right when they first crack, then you have like two months til they completely fall off the truck
It is a long and brutal road to that first crack though. Stock Indy bushings are garbage out of the box lol.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2021, 07:48:58 AM »
Just replaced the top bushings on a 1 year old indy aftermarket black barrel set by some old bones hard i had, nut is now flush, and they work fine

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
I got those titanium indys, the stock bushings were heinous as usual
Don’t even care about a bandwagon but for the amount of skating I have done with those titanium’s they are grinded to shit

I mean they aren’t completely grinded to shit but I have skated fuck all this last year, I’d like to see what a young person that skated all day thinks of those titanium indys
I’ll probably cop some aces next

Deadset I had and still have these koston indys
I skated fuck out of those things, mostly ledges but they are still sick trucks now, Indy dropped the quality for sure
The titanium Indy’s have a titanium alloy axle instead of a solid (standard) or hollow one. That's the only difference. The "meat" of the truck that you grind on is the same as any other indy, or at least any other being produced currently.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
just flat ground mostly and I ride the nut flush with the king pin. I was was riding the white/yellow ones for a while until they kept cracking every time so I tried the blue ones and got the same result. Oh and I ride Ventures

Ahh I ride Indy’s. Have you compared the size of bones to stock venture bushings? If the bottom bushing especially isn't the same shape, then you're messing with the geometry, which might be why they're cracking.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33:32 PM »
I tried out these Bones HC bushies (medium) in an attempt to avoid catching wheelbite so often on my Thunders without having to stack risers.
Were they nice & broken in feeling from the jump? Yup.
Did they help w/ the wheelbite issue? Naw. Not one bit.
I wanted to believe though, because I thought I could fidget my way out of a feature inherent to the Thunder geometry. After the 1st set blew out, I bought another couple, still thinking I might be able to tweak the ride by messing around with washers, etc.
Still nada, and the 2nd set blew out even quicker. Plus, they’d “herniate” or blow out, and slip past the lip on the hanger’s yoke.
Somebody on the S&G board advised I go back to stock Thunder 90 du bushings, so I gave them a try & what do you fucking know?!?
I still get wheelbite, but every other one of the annoying traits that came w/ the Bones were eliminated.
Now I run my all of my aluminum stock, as it came from the manu, and have very few issues or complaints.
Also of note, unless the stack height of the Bones bottom bushing (deck side) is the same as your stock option, your gonna be messing with the trucks intended geometry. Sure, you can add washers underneath, or slice some off the top of that bottom bush (NOT the end of the bushing you should trim, BTW,) but unless you keep that geo as designed, it’s not unreasonable for your truck to perform differently (maybe a good thing, maybe not) or to suffer undue wear & strain to the pivot cup & housing, hanger pivot, kingpin, etc.

The savings alone add up to ten times that by not buying Bones bushings, so it is well worth it and justified.

I have a shoelace full of old (and some very new) blown out Bones bushings, more so the soft and medium, but they seem to blow out a lot more quickly than any other brand of bushing on the market, as well as costing twice as much per set.

It is interesting to hear people say they are the best or whatever, but I don't have anywhere near as many dead bushings from any other company, stock or after market that have blown out like Bones bushings do.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

newguy

« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2021, 03:21:11 AM »
Expand Quote
lol I don’t understand why everyone on here seems to have such shitty experiences with the bones/venture combo. I’ve had ventures and bones medium ever since I started and I’ve always loved how loose my trucks felt, I also never got the saying that ventures don’t turn, my ventures are slippery as hell and I often turn too steep and end up powersliding by accident.
[close]

I also rock bones bushings with Ventures. It's my favourite combo. I put the flat washer under the bottom bushing to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible and use the stock top washer for protection/stability.

Shalom brother, venture and bushings to get some flow deals  8)

newguy

« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2021, 03:25:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The savings alone add up to ten times that by not buying Bones bushings, so it is well worth it and justified.

I have a shoelace full of old (and some very new) blown out Bones bushings, more so the soft and medium, but they seem to blow out a lot more quickly than any other brand of bushing on the market, as well as costing twice as much per set.

It is interesting to hear people say they are the best or whatever, but I don't have anywhere near as many dead bushings from any other company, stock or after market that have blown out like Bones bushings do.

How long have you been skating damn, I’ve only had to replace my bushings once because some scum SUV driver felt traffic laws did not apply to him and ran over my board destroying my bushings. So 2 pairs in 2 years, is that a lot? I’d be interested to know if bones bushings also suffer more with certain types of skating, I don’t think they would hold up too well if you skate massive gaps and obstacles for instance

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
Because Bone Cold said so!

CheeseSteak

• Rep: -2
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
I put Bones in my Indys after the stock orange bushings wore out. I even replaced the pivot cup with something I found on amazon since the hanger had a lot more life ahead of it.

My new Frankenstein'd Indys are great, no problems with the bones bushing and in a way, it reduced the weight and bulk that came with the independent stock bushing set up. It's a lower profile and I immediately felt a difference.

The goal is to grind to through to the Axle with this pair.

thunder146

• Rep: -1
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »
I used to use bones medium until I tried bones soft, now I’m only using bones soft in my thunders since I’m only 150lbs. Bones soft med or hard depends on your body weight tbh.

If u wanna get rid of the clicking sound with bones in thunder/venture, you have to use 1 stock washer on the bottom and a bones washer on top - this corrects geometry of the truck and helps break in bushings. After they’re broken in nice, u can go back to using stock washers instead of 1 stock washer and 1 bones washer. Another tip is with bones, you can use the smaller top stock washer as a bottom washer since bones bushings fit perfectly in them - and it makes it look more aesthetically pleasing.

I don’t like the stock bushings because my trucks never return to center, and I feel I can Ollie higher with bones since they’re more springy.

newguy

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
I used to use bones medium until I tried bones soft, now I’m only using bones soft in my thunders since I’m only 150lbs. Bones soft med or hard depends on your body weight tbh.

If u wanna get rid of the clicking sound with bones in thunder/venture, you have to use 1 stock washer on the bottom and a bones washer on top - this corrects geometry of the truck and helps break in bushings. After they’re broken in nice, u can go back to using stock washers instead of 1 stock washer and 1 bones washer. Another tip is with bones, you can use the smaller top stock washer as a bottom washer since bones bushings fit perfectly in them - and it makes it look more aesthetically pleasing.

I don’t like the stock bushings because my trucks never return to center, and I feel I can Ollie higher with bones since they’re more springy.

I see this mentioned a lot, do bushings really give you a higher Ollie? Seems like a mental thing, you’re more comfortable riding certain brands thus you’re more likely to Ollie with good form and therefore go higher. I reckon trucks affect your Ollies more since some trucks brands are heavier than others…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How long have you been skating damn, I’ve only had to replace my bushings once because some scum SUV driver felt traffic laws did not apply to him and ran over my board destroying my bushings. So 2 pairs in 2 years, is that a lot? I’d be interested to know if bones bushings also suffer more with certain types of skating, I don’t think they would hold up too well if you skate massive gaps and obstacles for instance

Well I have been skating a long, long time, but I have never used Bones bushings myself except to see how a board feels with them or skate someone else's board with them on.

I do work in a skate shop environment and have done for a long time too, so I get a lot of the broken and wrecked parts, so one of the things when people come in and ask for Bones bushings is show them the shoelace of all the broken ones and if they are not put off, then go ahead and buy them, otherwise I would politely recommend a number of others to them, which do last and don't come apart.

The weird thing is some people never blow them out, but others go through them very quickly, so I don't know that there is any particular thing that causes it so much as it is how much people tighten them down, especially the soft and medium duro bushings.

The hards soften up to be more loose than my other brand medium bushings, which is also a funny thing for people who want tight trucks, but again it is more down to how tight they actually are, compared to just having trucks that resist a little more with harder bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2021, 01:18:06 AM »
@Mbrimson88  you nailed it: If you tighten them too much they will break immediately. If you ride them flush they will last quite a few months. The hard ones are hard for two or three sessions and then become gradually softer. The last time I changed mine because they had crushed they had been very soft in the end so when I put the new ones on I had to ride them hella loose to have the same feeling, but could gradually tighten them down as they softened and I am riding them flush again now.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

newguy

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2021, 02:12:59 AM »
@Mbrimson88  you nailed it: If you tighten them too much they will break immediately. If you ride them flush they will last quite a few months. The hard ones are hard for two or three sessions and then become gradually softer. The last time I changed mine because they had crushed they had been very soft in the end so when I put the new ones on I had to ride them hella loose to have the same feeling, but could gradually tighten them down as they softened and I am riding them flush again now.

Ye I think the problem isn’t that bones are bad bushings, the problem is people who don’t/can’t skate loose trucks buy them and expect them to perform like more stable bushings and tighten them fuckers so tight they pop after a session or two…

billy_pilgrimspecker

• Rep: 4
  • "You never know who’ll get one"
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
are they really better than stock bushings? I skate thunders and use the stock thunder bushings but it seems like everyone puts bones bushings in their trucks. whats up with this? wouldn't the stock bushings be better since they are technically designed for the truck they are in?

Use the bottom washers with Thunders. I ride Indy now, but I blew out a pair of Bones in no time with no bottom washer on Thunder trucks. I tried another pair on the same trucks, this time with the bottom washers, and they outlasted the trucks and are now in my Indys.

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
hard bones bushings with loosely tightened trucks

I rode Bones medium until I got Riptide pivot cups--hard bones with soft pivot cups feel wonderful, and since I'm 170lbs they're pretty loose. Riptides are $18 and after I got one pair I immediately bought them for my other setups. Their bushings are probably great, too, but it's too damn confusing and pricey to figure out what to pick from their website, plus I'm happy with my hard Bones and my 92A conical Indy bushing (which also work great in Thunders).

billy_pilgrimspecker

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2021, 11:21:59 AM »
What kind of bushings does Daewon Song use? Those are my favorite.

I'm pretty sure he just stuffs old chewing gum around his kingpin.