Author Topic: Tas Vs Tony  (Read 41097 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Tas Vs Tony
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »

Tas is really taking the "L" on this one.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

poopnutsupreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2015, 04:22:46 PM »
Who knows? It's a juicy story though.
The highly tempered/talented sometimes addict vs the golden boy.
I'm sure Hawk knew who his competition was that day, but still went for it anyways. Kinda like when some people thought it was bogus that burnquist still took his run to win after jake brown fell on the mega ramp. It wasn't a "900 contest", but it still was a "contest", meaning that you're challenged by your equal competitors.
X games is a tv special. There are underlying storylines to things most of the times & Tas wasnt let in & Hawk had free room to go for it which makes it kinda unfair. Tas obviously didnt make a scene at the time, he just overlooked it.
His path went on and he's a survivor (& still landed it years later). I doubt he's dwelling on it too bad, he just seems unafraid to call it out & answer back about it when it comes up. Hawks comments brought that out.

You realize that the whole reason this thread exists is from Tas calling out Tony on instagram recently? He's fucking dwelling on it, he already made a whole documentary on it but still can't find that as enough. Dude needs to start practicing what he preaches and move on. I already doubted the story before and as he continues to act like a child the less credible I find him.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
What people forget is Tony landed it after time expired. He shouldn't have won the best trick, it was basically Tony's rules that day.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
The whole argument presupposes that Tas would have landed a 900 that day given the chance. No-one can take away how raw his skating was/is. Maybe the crowd would have given him that extra push. But a 900 on a vert ramp (not a mega quarter) isn't a 180 up a curb. I saw him try them first-hand; and all I'll say is there's no guarantee he would have made one. I'm just glad he did one in the end, which is fucking sick, rather than leave it as a lifetime nbd

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »
What people forget is Tony landed it after time expired. He shouldn't have won the best trick, it was basically Tony's rules that day.

That happens at all contests Tracer.....does ten more seconds ever mean ten more seconds?  Best trick is last trick landed.....

It sucks but you realize it's for the crowd.....

Tony is and will always be the best vert skater ever...cause he ruled it when everyone cared.   Only loop hole has been D Way and Vov who have to jump out of helicopters.....

Tas...found God and made a documentary......

Something's up when the most qualified opinion in your movie is Weiss...

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
Whatever. Tony did it, Tas didn't, what ifs are not certainties. Would we have Tas Pappas Pro skater if he did the 900? I seriously doubt it. He was good, but he's not Tony Hawk.

Jordick

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »
Whatever. Tony did it, Tas didn't, what ifs are not certainties. Would we have Tas Pappas Pro skater if he did the 900? I seriously doubt it. He was good, but he's not Tony Hawk.
Imagine how weird Tas Pappas Pro Skater would be lol

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
I imagine you would bust through glass to get the hidden bag of coke to get to the next level. Lee Ralph would be a character, and alex moul. Tas is a good guy he just needs help.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Imagine how weird Tas Pappas Pro Skater would be lol
the drugs of GTA meet the skateboarding of tas pappas

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
Tas likes to pretend that people hadn't been chasing the 900 for over 10 years before Tony landed. Fuck, even Danny was trying it. Check out this clip from Danny's "Risk it" part in 1990. Skip to 3:10
ableSkateMag.com

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
I really don't give a fuck about Tony "I eat Mcdonalds so I didn't sell out" Hawk. He did one more 180 that everyone else and sold out fucking hardcore and because mainstream media embraced the kook skaters have been like "you gotta love Tony" ever since.

I like Grosso, but the whole ex-junkie now a wiseman schtick really pisses me off. Oh cool you shot Heroin for 20 years? Oh thats given you a lot of insight? Fuck off you crusty old hep b sufferer.
[/b]

I'm a Grosso fan but I find it ironic that he has the gall to call out another skater for making bad decisions and being a junkie when he himself was a huge drug addict at one point. Also, I know he's friends with Tony but it's like why even involve yourself in it publicly? You weren't involved at all. I know he's become like this shit-talking media personality in skateboarding where everyone wants him to shit on whatever drama is going on but I think it's pretty lame.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:25 AM »
Tas likes to pretend that people hadn't been chasing the 900 for over 10 years before Tony landed. Fuck, even Danny was trying it. Check out this clip from Danny's "Risk it" part in 1990. Skip to 3:10

He also asssumes that he would have landed the 900 that day, which in his fucked up state at that time is questionable to say the least.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2015, 02:09:19 AM »
Kindergarden story.
Tony lie, Tas cry- and
Skateboarding move on.

It was just a shitty X Games best
Trick contest nobody take care.
The 900 didnt change skateboarding,
and Giorgio zattoni have done it better
anyway- byhimself alone on his
backjard ramp somewhere in italy.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2015, 02:23:05 AM »
Tas is definitely a loose unit, but you'd think that with Hawk's businesses, sponsors and cash he could've just left a snarky comment off Instagram?

I mean he didn't take it to Koston levels of stupidity, but why bother calling him out at all? It's safe to say Hawk has 'won' the situation, why bother bringing it up again?

As for Grosso... that dude takes himself way too seriously. I dig what he does, but I don't think he needs to have an opinion of everything on four wheels.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

kenneth

• Rep: -33
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
Here's an interview with Tony made at Vert Attack. He talks about the Tas and the 900. Starts at 31.50 but the whole interview is good.

http://john-dahlquist.podomatic.com/entry/2015-05-29T01_53_46-07_00

I'd rather watch Bill Danforth push...

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2015, 03:02:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The thing to me is, this character flaw, "blame yourself", karma type of language still doesn't really explain it: Seems more like conjecture, especially when
he still skated the very same contest & still ended up having the rug pulled out from him. Even the commentators at that same contest were suggesting hints at him trying the trick at the 1:22 mark (everybody had to have known at least a little bit):
The issue doesn't seem like a, "can Tas beat Tony, this time" type of situation. The doc showed he already had beaten hawk before in a contest run. It was just about having a fair chance & wanting to make a name for himself/improve his and ben's life. U can't really blame Tas for speculating. Must have felt excruciatingly bogus and shocking to have to sit there on the sideline and watch Hawk go for something, when Tas knew it was supposed to be his time.   
Maybe Tas shouldn't have blamed Tony. It's just a story now with unanswered questions. 
[close]

Like just said in my previous post, I find it more likely Tas did something behind the scenes at the event given his history that he was excluded from the best trick by the organizers and blew his chance and only has himself to blame.  The truth will never really be known, even given the chance he may not of landed it.  It is what it is, you can't go back he should stop lashing out and dwelling on the past, remember the good, and look to his future and be thankful he is still around and able to skate.   Just let it go dude, all this anger is going to consume you. Learn from the mistakes and good luck.  Wish him well.

[close]

I'm sure Hawk knew who his competition was that day, but still went for it anyways. Kinda like when some people thought it was bogus that burnquist still took his run to win after jake brown fell on the mega ramp. It wasn't a "900 contest", but it still was a "contest", meaning that you're challenged by your equal competitors.
X games is a tv special. There are underlying storylines to things most of the times & Tas wasnt let in & Hawk had free room to go for it which makes it kinda unfair. Tas obviously didnt make a scene at the time, he just overlooked it.
His path went on and he's a survivor (& still landed it years later). I doubt he's dwelling on it too bad, he just seems unafraid to call it out & answer back about it when it comes up. Hawks comments brought that out.
[close]

Tony probably should've taken the higher road left it out of his post but the documentary was almost a 2 hour attack on him personally and probably felt like he had to point out there was another view of the truth and the actual facts validated what is generally accepted as skating history.

I guess I see why Tony did that, but I think the whole Pappas story was more of a microcrosm of how talent/success can falter and destruct along its path. People are interested in understanding those kinds of tales of tragedy. If you're a vert skater U probably gotta rely on contests for a living. Hawk was just the adversarial figure for them cause he was the king when they were trying to come up.

This short article review kinda points out 2 questions that seem like key points: him feeling like an Aussie outsider who struggled to get fair recognition & the issue of his dad embezzling money (where it added to them going down south with things)  http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/07/all-this-mayhem-review

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2015, 03:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You realize that the whole reason this thread exists is from Tas calling out Tony on instagram recently? He's fucking dwelling on it, he already made a whole documentary on it but still can't find that as enough. Dude needs to start practicing what he preaches and move on. I already doubted the story before and as he continues to act like a child the less credible I find him.

oh, didn't know.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2015, 04:07:34 AM »
Here's an interview with Tony made at Vert Attack. He talks about the Tas and the 900. Starts at 31.50 but the whole interview is good.

http://john-dahlquist.podomatic.com/entry/2015-05-29T01_53_46-07_00

Wow, so random to have him clear it up on some podcast shout out to the dude that asked him. Weird how he said that no major news place wants to talk to him about it. I hope some more people pick up the story so we can just get this all aired out instead of a bunch of people only hearing Tas's side.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Custom skater

• Rep: -80
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:10 AM »
Tas is definitely a loose unit, but you'd think that with Hawk's businesses, sponsors and cash he could've just left a snarky comment off Instagram?

I mean he didn't take it to Koston levels of stupidity, but why bother calling him out at all? It's safe to say Hawk has 'won' the situation, why bother bringing it up again?

As for Grosso... that dude takes himself way too seriously. I dig what he does, but I don't think he needs to have an opinion of everything on four wheels.

I think he said what he said was because of how everyone was just like fuck tony hawk after seeing that documentary. And I think it wasn't aimed at Tas but rather the audience who couldn't take Tas' side of the story with a grain of salt and go bat shit insane on Tony Hawk. I mean that dude must have alot of hate mail after the documentary

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2015, 07:11:51 AM »
I know this is TMZ, but how much truth is there to the Hawk stealing a friend's wife?

I don't really give a fuck about the 900 but who would you trust?  Fill me in on the details, but at a glance, that's some damning shit...

Also, when is Jedi going to get paid?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
I know this is TMZ, but how much truth is there to the Hawk stealing a friend's wife?

I don't really give a fuck about the 900 but who would you trust?  Fill me in on the details, but at a glance, that's some damning shit...

It's pretty well known that Hawk is pretty scummy when it comes to the ladies.  You really need to learn how to use a search engine Frip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1366466/Tony-Hawk-dumps-wife-Lhotse-Merriam-best-friends-wife-Cathy-Goodman.html
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

ghostofcain

• Rep: -3
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's pretty well known that Hawk is pretty scummy when it comes to the ladies.  You really need to learn how to use a search engine Frip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1366466/Tony-Hawk-dumps-wife-Lhotse-Merriam-best-friends-wife-Cathy-Goodman.html

Think you may be missing the point of this thread.  Nobody is perfect we all make mistakes, we all have regrets, and make choices in life we wouldn't repeat or would undo if it were possible.  This shouldn't be turned into Tony did this, Tony did that, and distract from the fact the subject is Tas Pappas and his bitterness, lashing out, and blaming anyone, and everyone he possibly can, for why his life isn't what he thinks he deserves.  His ego still see's himself as this rockstar and everyone has conspired against him to keep him down.  He can't accept the choices he made led to his downfall and is trying to rewrite history to convince everyone he is a victim.  Whatever Tony may have done that people see as a flaw or wrong, Tony isn't calling out people, making mockumentaries blaming others for the negative repercussions he suffered due to his poor choices.  That is the point of this thread!

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
Hard to say what any of us would do if we were in Tony's shoes. He is a huge part of the reason skateboarding got this big and why most people of my generation started skating or at least saw it on tv.

At the end of the day he's just getting money and getting pussy, can you really blame him?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
Hard to say what any of us would do if we were in Tony's shoes. He is a huge part of the reason skateboarding got this big and why most people of my generation started skating or at least saw it on tv.

At the end of the day he's just getting money and getting pussy, can you really blame him?
99.9% of skaters consider tony a god. He's always been a shithead, even as a child. I'd say 5 or so other skaters had bigger impacts on skating, but Tony brought it to the mainstream and has that photogenic touch the public loves. I'm not getting into Tony's relationships, it's none of my business. We're all just monkeys swinging from tree to tree until we find something we can deal with. Things change people change, we've all fallen in and out of love. Tas' view of marriage is straight from the bible

This isn't 1850 11th commandment thou shou not steal thy neighbors wife.. Every successful businessman is history works people over, you have to be a shark or get run over. Credit to Tony's agent, does dirt and comes out clean on the other side

mgeorge402

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
I don't know, he claims Tony stole the trick from him. But it took him how many years later and a mega ramp to finally do it? Give it a rest already.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »
Just because Tas is a good skater doesn't mean he wasn't (isn't?) a lying cokefiend asshole.

Rich Lopes did the 900 before anyone.

Tony has fucked around on a couple wives and it's not exactly a state secret, but hey we all have out shortcomings.

Tracer stop talking vert histories and puttin on airs like you used to run the grill at BBQs in Joe Lopes backyard or some shit.  You are a little kid and you don't know anything.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
The Joe Lopez BBQ reference was amazing :D

too much

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2015, 09:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That happens at all contests Tracer.....does ten more seconds ever mean ten more seconds?� Best trick is last trick landed.....

First and foremost, I'm not taking any sides between Tas and Tony.....

My memory tells me the best trick contest went on for an extra 30-60 mins at least on TV. I remember my Grandpa watching it with me, making some comment wanting to watch another show, haha. Reading this thread reminded me of that for some reason.

The 900 (skateboarding) wiki page says Hawk had 10 extra tries after time expired, who knows if that is accurate, X Games page says 11 failed attempts. So 10-11 times of getting mentally prepared before dropping in, slamming, grabbing his board, walking back up the ramp, that is a lot of time alone, it def went on for 30-60 more minutes. I kind of do remember it appearing somewhat staged. I remember my Grandpa thinking it was a joke and not fair (he used to hate refs controlling/throwing the "game"). But this was watching it in 1999 having no clue about a Tas controversy...

I agree with the other poster who said Hawk is talking around it. No one is reacting with some literal story of, "Tas you were wasted and security pulled you out." Or "Tas you forgot to register for the event, or Tas you didn't show up at 8am for the meeting with the X games dudes." No one has a specific story just an opinionated negative reaction, which kind of gives some truth to what Tas is claiming.

"Why didn't you just go and film it then Tas?"

Well same thing for Hawk, "why don't you just film it?"

Who got silver? I've been googling it, can't find it, Bob Burnquist got bronze...Colin Mckay was killing it in the comp too, he might have got 2nd. Colin and Bob were both doing super tech stylish shit from their video parts. Tony did half cab varial 720, then later went for the 9. Colin did sw shuv nose slide big spin out, crazy vert nbd. Tas would have been doing all kinds of shit. So if there is a conspiracy about Tas not getting allowed in, there's also whoever was second place getting fucked too. But looking at the footage everyone who competed in the comp was in support of Tony going for it after time expired, hugging him and hyping him up on his attempts. So you have the corporate world all of a sudden going with the punk rock cool vibe of no rules...ok thats weird...wonder why? $$$? Why no Tas if the rules are so flexible?

I think Tas bringing it up is interesting, from a non-biased perspective. 1999? So many sick videos came out in 98-99 who could give a fuck about the x games at all. I bet Tas is telling the truth. The whole documentary is him being brutally honest about everything.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The comments at the bottom of that story are amazing.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
it's really only a matter of time before tas jedi finds this thread guys

*ducks for cover*

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year