Author Topic: jamie thomas, mean side?  (Read 100317 times)

fuckingvegan

Re: jamie thomas, mean side?
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
lets see:

1. globe photoshopped shoes onto jake duncombes feet cause he was wearing slippers.

2. PJ Ladd skated way differently from Wonderful Horrible Life to Really Sorry? Bastien Salabanzi talked about how he never skated big rails until Rowley and Arto started making him do like taunting and stuff.

3. Julien Stranger may not have forced Andrew Allen or the other guys to change by buying them clothes and making them wear it, but he does send Andrew packages and I bet theres some flannel in there, fuckingvegan.

4. what about creation and stuff? nobody talks about how all those guys are all hippies or how baker dudes take all the kids out to parties and drinking when they're 12 YEARS OLD!

5. You have to market yourself. Why do you think that Robbie McKinley ain't pro, everybody knows hes got the skills (even Carroll and Howard) but no market man. If he started wearing flannels and half-cabs hed be pro.

Jamies just more outspoken and therefore easier to target. You think Chris Cole would even be pro if it weren't for Jamie? Circa and World Industries (thats right he rode for them and Enjoi) weren't taking him anywhere.

Don't you have floors to mop at Blackbox? Ask Jamie if he still has the visor from the Spitfire video, that shit was funny.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »
I have nothing but respect that Jamie made a big skateboard company, but that doesn't mean I have to think his shit don't stink. Just like Rocco before him (whose products for the most part I boycotted after the first two years) I don't like people who are controlling. I use to like Zero, had some of their first boards and was stoked on Jamie, he was a breath of fresh air in the early/mid 90's. Look at Zero when it started it was a bunch of raw dudes but  you could tell the difference between them.
I just don't like what it has morphed into and yes for the record I do take it personally that he treated veganism as nothing more then a trend to sell a couple of boards, in fact that alone is enough for me to dislike him. Zero has some amazing riders but hell can't we get past this 80's hair metal throwback? That stuff sucked in the 80's and is even worse now. Fuck if you are going to dress metal take some pointers from the Creature team, that is metal not dressing up like a demented transvestite.
And to everyone riding Anti Hero's nuts get the fuck off, those guys are the real deal, no gimmicks just being who the fuck they are and people can't accept that, Anti Hero is the same as it was 10 years ago, and to me that says a lot.

wghpChris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »
I forgot about his whole vegan deal. Probably the same thing with those West Memphis Three boards too.

Self-Educated

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »
me and my friends were skating a spot and the zero crew rolled up jamie started trying to tell me and my friends how to skate the stairs we were like fuck you jesus then jamie got tommmy gunns to beat our asses

Maybe he was trying to give you some tips? Usually when someone of that stature gives me advice, I shut the fuck up, open my ears, and listen really hard. He knows what he's talking about, personal bullshit or not.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
Expand Quote
me and my friends were skating a spot and the zero crew rolled up jamie started trying to tell me and my friends how to skate the stairs we were like fuck you jesus then jamie got tommmy gunns to beat our asses

[close]

Maybe he was trying to give you some tips? Usually when someone of that stature gives me advice, I shut the fuck up, open my ears, and listen really hard. He knows what he's talking about, personal bullshit or not.

The fact that this person said Tommy Gunns lead me to think it was a fake account.

jrock

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He sure didn't hate Rocco for being a good businessman/asshole/shitty skater!

It's quite ironic that you bring up Rocco, a guy who used to BRIBE his team to do stunts. This is referenced in several interviews (I'll find out the exact ones, if you need me to). It's no different.

What's the difference between Rocco paying off team riders with cash to do stunts and JT bribing them with iPods and product? There is no difference. It's just that kids today haven't seen this scenario play itself out several times yet. They probably think JT invented it. Hahaha! Right.
[close]

are you regular?

there is no difference between rocco paying his professional riders to do tricks which is essentially what all companies with pros do and jamie thomas telling his pros what to wear, how they should have their hair and what music to like and basically turning them into mini-me's of himself?

and pointing out similarities between your idol and someone you describe as an asshole is not really going to do your argument any favours.

[close]

Nope, for one thing when did he tell those dudes what to wear? Let's start with that. Hair and music? Where did you hear this? On the "internette"? Please. I've been skating for 12 years, but I've never owned a Zero deck or any other JT stuff. But I do respect him and what he does. I don't buy into rumors. There's a lot of them in skateboarding. Stick around and you hear some doozies.

I did point out similarities between JT, who some of you think is an asshole (and you hate) and someone who many other people think is an asshole (but you pointed out his company, Blind, as the smart option for The Gonz). They do the same thing - sell skateboards.

Rocco's antics are a part of skateboard history. The JT bandana stuff is internet rumors. I'm still waiting for someone to post that picture. Any time now...

the bandana thing was said by Dave Carine in an interview; he used to be the editor of Big Brother and still writes for the Skateboard Mag.  That is not hearsay, the guy said it outright...

Just because we are talking about this on the "innernet" does not mean that some of us don't work in or have industry connections, work in shops that have dealings with Jamie Thomas and his representatives, or have dealt with the man on a personal level.  Every "unsubstantiated rumor" I've heard on this board is something that I've heard many times before.  These stories didn't just materialize out of thin air.

alexx

• Rep: 10
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
lets see:

2. PJ Ladd skated way differently from Wonderful Horrible Life to Really Sorry? Bastien Salabanzi talked about how he never skated big rails until Rowley and Arto started making him do like taunting and stuff.

4. what about creation and stuff? nobody talks about how all those guys are all hippies or how baker dudes take all the kids out to parties and drinking when they're 12 YEARS OLD!

2. pj ladd doesn't skate any differently from 'wonderful horrible life'. i have no idea where you got that from.

4. even if baker took their AMs out to parties or encouraged drinking, how is that seen as manipulative?

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2007, 02:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It's quite ironic that you bring up Rocco, a guy who used to BRIBE his team to do stunts. This is referenced in several interviews (I'll find out the exact ones, if you need me to). It's no different.

What's the difference between Rocco paying off team riders with cash to do stunts and JT bribing them with iPods and product? There is no difference. It's just that kids today haven't seen this scenario play itself out several times yet. They probably think JT invented it. Hahaha! Right.
[close]

are you regular?

there is no difference between rocco paying his professional riders to do tricks which is essentially what all companies with pros do and jamie thomas telling his pros what to wear, how they should have their hair and what music to like and basically turning them into mini-me's of himself?

and pointing out similarities between your idol and someone you describe as an asshole is not really going to do your argument any favours.

[close]

Nope, for one thing when did he tell those dudes what to wear? Let's start with that. Hair and music? Where did you hear this? On the "internette"? Please. I've been skating for 12 years, but I've never owned a Zero deck or any other JT stuff. But I do respect him and what he does. I don't buy into rumors. There's a lot of them in skateboarding. Stick around and you hear some doozies.

I did point out similarities between JT, who some of you think is an asshole (and you hate) and someone who many other people think is an asshole (but you pointed out his company, Blind, as the smart option for The Gonz). They do the same thing - sell skateboards.

Rocco's antics are a part of skateboard history. The JT bandana stuff is internet rumors. I'm still waiting for someone to post that picture. Any time now...

Have you read the Chris Cole interview when he admits that Jamie sent him a bunch of tight, black clothes to wear?  What more proof do you need?

punch drunk love

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2007, 02:30:04 AM »
I agree with Vegan, I think the main differences between the Zero of Now and the Zero of Misled Youth is that although the talent of the team is undeniable, realistically they are stylistically copying their predecessors from the Misled Youth days (with the exception of Rattray).  When that vid came out, everything was raw and original.  Dudes like Ellington and Greco brought that style back into the mainstream, they may not have pioneered that look and style of skating and flair, but they did resurrect it and make it popular.
Fuck, Jamie probably was more influenced by the Misled Youth team than them being influenced by him.
So at the end of the day Zero can never be the company it was because dudes on now look and skate the way they do because of that whole video.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2007, 04:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

are you regular?

[close]

[close]

Have you read the Chris Cole interview when he admits that Jamie sent him a bunch of tight, black clothes to wear?  What more proof do you need?

You see, this is how rumors get started. His sponsor sent him a box of the clothes they make. You think that's unusual? It would've been unusual if he had sent him big, baggy pants or something. But he sent him Fallen product. And the rumor mill takes that and goes crazy? Worse than girls, I tell ya. Unbelievable.

Let's see the Carnie interview or a pic of the bandana already. Oh wait, no one can seem to find it. Hmmm....

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2007, 05:16:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

are you regular?

[close]

[close]

Have you read the Chris Cole interview when he admits that Jamie sent him a bunch of tight, black clothes to wear? What more proof do you need?
[close]

You see, this is how rumors get started. His sponsor sent him a box of the clothes they make. You think that's unusual? It would've been unusual if he had sent him big, baggy pants or something. But he sent him Fallen product. And the rumor mill takes that and goes crazy? Worse than girls, I tell ya. Unbelievable.

Let's see the Carnie interview or a pic of the bandana already. Oh wait, no one can seem to find it. Hmmm....

why do you even ask if you wont accept the possibilty that the things people tell you might be true?
cole said in his interview that jamie definitely pushed into a certain direction as far as appearance goes. how is that a rumor?
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2007, 05:20:01 AM »
I agree with Vegan, I think the main differences between the Zero of Now and the Zero of Misled Youth is that although the talent of the team is undeniable, realistically they are stylistically copying their predecessors from the Misled Youth days (with the exception of Rattray). 

Rattray still stands out like a sore thumb on Zero.  Him going there was the last move I would have expected at the time.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »
you forgot keegan....

heshy.

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »
zero are boring as, they need different types of skaters. not just people who just skate rails and stairs.
~Shane Cross 1986-2007~

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
rattray and kegan sauder?
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

CFDL

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »

http://smalltimeskates.com/sts/20-qs-dave-carnie-interview/
i also know a certain company owner who’s company name is the answer to the equation 666-666 who likes all kinds of weird photoshop in his photos. i only know of one incident, but i assume he does it all the time. like he has his little hankies and shit photoshopped into his hands and back pockets and shit. there’s nothing unethical about that kind of peacock behavior, but it’s a little gay.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »
"i only know of one incident, but i assume he does it all the time..."

While I do appreciate you finding the article... I dunno, man. It still sounds like something was blown out of perportion. And as much as I loved Big Brother, it's not like I ever looked at what those guys said as bible truth. I wouldn't recommend that. But at least I know where you guys got that shit from.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »
surely carnie just made it up
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »
Don't you see how after it goes through the Slap Rumor Mill, it turns into music, hair, and clothes all of a sudden? That's how exaggeration and rumors work. Teenage girls are brilliant at it. Skateboarders are catching up to them though.

Maple Syrup

• Rep: -16
  • rhymenoceros
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
zero are boring as, they need different types of skaters. not just people who just skate rails and stairs.

thats the zero image, otherwise itd just be another element with a ton of random pros

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
Don't you see how after it goes through the Slap Rumor Mill, it turns into music, hair, and clothes all of a sudden? That's how exaggeration and rumors work. Teenage girls are brilliant at it. Skateboarders are catching up to them though.
I did the Carnie interview, and one thing that needs to be pointed out is that Dave didn't really expect that interview to be seen by as many people as it was. Also, the interview was done via email, it wasn't an off-the-cuff remark that he just wrote in haste... the interview itself took several months to complete. Dave makes it pretty clear when he's bullshitting and when he's not... he's not bullshitting about Thomas and his Photoshop practices. I'm not adding to the debate here, I'm just saying that I believe Dave at his word.

doitswitch

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »
http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/magazine/article/0,23271,464849,00.html Full Ryan Smith birthday story. If he didn't land it JT would appear to be a tyrant, but since he did it puts him in some sort of hero status, like one of those incredibly moving tales of fathers who push their kids and al sorts f oth r crap an stf lke m do asdo kd..

alexx

• Rep: 10
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2007, 02:55:01 AM »
reading that article made me so pissed off, jt's such a manipulative boss.

zero is a joke of a skateboarding company now.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2007, 04:00:54 AM »
I didn't think there was anything special with that article. That's just Jamie motivating his riders to do stuff he knows they're capable of. None of the guys interviewed seemed to mind that.

Those are his companies, that's his approach. The guys who haven't liked that have left. Besides Greco, where are all the ex-Zero riders?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2007, 04:43:40 AM »
Those are his companies, that's his approach. The guys who haven't liked that have left. Besides Greco, where are all the ex-Zero riders?
Buried in a crawlspace under Jamie's house.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2007, 06:42:24 AM »
I didn't think there was anything special with that article. That's just Jamie motivating his riders to do stuff he knows they're capable of. None of the guys interviewed seemed to mind that.

Aaron Harrison is pro for ATM
Matt Mumford is pro for Black Label

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aaron Harrison is pro for ATM
Matt Mumford is pro for Black Label

ellington pro for baker
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

golgo13

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »
greco too.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Buried in a crawlspace under Jamie's house.

Wouldn't doubt it. Wade Burkitt and Scott Copalman completely disappeared.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

betterlucknexttimefewel

« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
Jamie Thomas is a fucking twat. He snubbed me face-to-face. Luckily, I've never bought any of his products. As much as anyone may want to defend him, the fact is that I don't owe him anything. His celebrity is worth what people make of it and it apparently is meaningless if he entitles himself to everything. His celebrity is worthless. The "HankerChief" is a more appropriate name for how he works in his Fascism.
Baker seems a lot more like a Communist company. Communism is waaay more productive than Fascism. Look up WW2. Russia was on the winning side then and Cuba is still Communist. Not a single country is Fascist anymore. There is a relationship w/ government and companies because it makes people boss around people.