Author Topic: What do companies look for in a skate sponsor?  (Read 4531 times)

Thrashin4Passion

What do companies look for in a skate sponsor?
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:36:17 PM »
I was just curious what is a better way to get noticed out of the sea of children constantly sending in tapes to wheel, shoe or anything companies. The obvious answer is being a better skater but there has to be more to it. With enough ridiculous skaters who are un-sponsored out there, it would make sense that there's something else that is important to sponsors.

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: What do companies look for in a skate sponsor?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »
trick list.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »
I was just curious what is a better way to get noticed out of the sea of children constantly sending in tapes to wheel, shoe or anything companies. The obvious answer is being a better skater but there has to be more to it. With enough ridiculous skaters who are un-sponsored out there, it would make sense that there's something else that is important to sponsors.
Style is the #1 thing sponsors look for. If you ride tight trucks and tic tac all day your tricks better make up for it (nyjah)

Unless you're gnarly on transitions stay out of skateparks. Unfortunately if you live in buttfuck USA you're out of luck unless you have Rodney type talent. Also learn to skate switch, also very important

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »
As with many many things it's not what you can do but who you know.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »
its insane how many kids wanna get sponsored by leaving comments on companies instagrams.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Jordick

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
I could be wrong but I honestly think a marketable skater with personality is something sponsors look for. Like there's so many kids in all different types of scenes and a lot of them blend in together, so they probably don't get as much coverage because they aren't very interesting off the board. People back in the day like Ethan Fowler, Paulo Diaz, Ed Templeton, etc. were way different than anyone else around, and had their own weird/uniqueness, along with being great skateboarders. So obviously the first thing is being good at skating, and the other is standing out, or at least I would guess so.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »
You have to love skating so much that you would get down on your knees and beg a deity to take your soul in exchange for flow.  Seriously though, if you have a legit skate shop and you can get sponsored by those guys first, it would show that you're not completely hopeless.  You have to make it in little league before you can hope to play in the majors.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:13 PM »
The thing they look for most are little boys that can keep secrets.

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 04:24:53 AM »
from what i heard, style, how good the tricks are and at what spots, sometimes how hard your trying, connections to the right people, skating contests to get noticed, and how well you work off the board, which means are you getting footage, are you just fucking around, are you repping the brand, and how well you get along with the team and attitude, that's all the shit i heard. if your likable, they know you and you rip you have a better chance than timmy with a bad attitude down the street. and how marketable you are. from what i know it's a very fickle thing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
Everyone is good these days. Kids are throwing bangers all over.

How good you are
Style/Personality
Who you know

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Someone who's marketable, that falls on who you send your clip to as well but don't look like someone who rides for DGK and send you clips to Creature.

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
Instagram followers.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
A street only tape goes a long way as well, 9 times out of 10 in the streets you won't find that perfect bank you have at the park to do your 900 dolphin flip on

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 01:33:17 AM »
From what I hear, honestly, it's coke AND weed connects.

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
Really you're asking two different questions:  1.)How to get noticed out of a sea of other rippers? 2.) How to actually make it once you've gained attention?

From what I've seen, being able to do tough or gnarly tricks, with a sort of ease and comfort (what most commonly referred to as style) will gather you some attention. In other words, make sure your nollie flips appear more second nature for you than walking.

Now here is the real question. Once you got that flow or am sponsorship, how do you transform that into a skate career? You guys all mentioned being able to mesh well, connections, personality, drive etc, but there is one intangible quality that seems to trump all of that: Charisma.
You might have the most abrasive personality imaginable, you might be a straight up kook, but if you can somehow draw people to that, you are gold. Take for example TK and Nick Merlino.  TK isn't even in the top 1,000 list of greatest skaters and you would prob want to strangle Merlino if you were in a van with him, but both those dudes have made it thus far being naturally charismatic.

PARANOID

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Talent (or skill, sometimes enough skill looks like talent) and a marketable niche. It also doesn't hurt to know people and not step on any toes.

I'm just speculating though.