Author Topic: Which country has the best skating right now?  (Read 3252 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: Which country has the best skating right now?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2022, 12:19:45 AM »
USA USA USA
Y'all got sls, xgames, dew tour, the berries. Unbeatable!

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2022, 08:09:50 AM »
This is slap, so ya know... Fred Gallistan or the Republic of Fred Gallia or something like that.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2022, 08:46:14 AM »
The country that gave us Lee Ralph.

Solid response!

However, perhaps not so simple. I'd wager Lee Ralph is the product of Ireland, Scotland and several Polynesian Islands. His ancestors surely fought many battles, sailed many seas and tamed many jungles to end up in New Zealand.

Kurt Vonnegut should write a novel about Lee Ralph.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote
The country that gave us Lee Ralph.
[close]

Kurt Vonnegut should write a novel about Lee Ralph.

I hate to say it but Kurt Vonnegut died a few years ago. That would be good material for him for sure though.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2022, 09:01:02 AM »
That's what everyone thinks but Vonnegut is really pulling the strings at the Bokonist church on the island of San Lorenzo.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 50
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:59 AM »
Yeah let's not get it twisted. It's always the US. This coming from a Euro guy from Copenhagen, Denmark. The British scene has had a good run the last couple of years with the likes of the riders from Palace and Isle for example, but it's more of a niche scene. But all in all the US has cities that are more influential then whole countries when it comes to skateboarding. LA, SF, NYC, Philly etc. 

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »
Where do most skaters dream of going to turn pro? There's your answer.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2022, 05:44:19 AM »
Yeah let's not get it twisted. It's always the US. This coming from a Euro guy from Copenhagen, Denmark. The British scene has had a good run the last couple of years with the likes of the riders from Palace and Isle for example, but it's more of a niche scene. But all in all the US has cities that are more influential then whole countries when it comes to skateboarding. LA, SF, NYC, Philly etc.

Nah I used to think California was the holy grail but after visiting there a few times then living here in France with free health care loads of holidays and great scenes I won't change it for the world..

dipped

• Rep: 2
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2022, 06:15:09 AM »
Canada eh

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2022, 06:19:53 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2022, 01:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah I used to think California was the holy grail but after visiting there a few times then living here in France with free health care loads of holidays and great scenes I won't change it for the world..

ha. California was the holy grail for me too, but staying there for around 5 months in the 90's just made me realize all the good shit France has to offer. Even though I loved my time in San Diego, I appreciated parisian architecture so much more after that mall/condo lot/gas station landscape, for instance....
Still does not change the fact the US continue to set the standard in skating. I find Americans tend to be more gung-ho and all-in about shit...Like 100% into it. Plus the us is real big, no other country has that many skaters.

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 01:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

ha. California was the holy grail for me too, but staying there for around 5 months in the 90's just made me realize all the good shit France has to offer. Even though I loved my time in San Diego, I appreciated parisian architecture so much more after that mall/condo lot/gas station landscape, for instance....
Still does not change the fact the US continue to set the standard in skating. I find Americans tend to be more gung-ho and all-in about shit...Like 100% into it. Plus the us is real big, no other country has that many skaters.
Please come get Vincent Miliou and take him back to that shit hole that you appreciate it. He has overstayed his welcome here, and needs to get deported back to where he's from.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 01:33:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Please come get Vincent Miliou and take him back to that shit hole that you appreciate it. He has overstayed his welcome here, and needs to get deported back to where he's from.

well Vincent Milou is from Seignosse or somewhere around there, that's around 1000 km from Paris, so we come from kinda different shitholes sorry. anyways what's your problem with him, simple xenophobia? He rips and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 02:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

well Vincent Milou is from Seignosse or somewhere around there, that's around 1000 km from Paris, so we come from kinda different shitholes sorry. anyways what's your problem with him, simple xenophobia? He rips and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Honestly I have no idea which is worse between this thread and the Are Shove-Its/Big Spins Flip Tricks? thread (no offense to their respective OP's), but I'm inclined to say this one, because the flip trick one is innocent whereas looking at skateboarding through the prism of countries but out of genuine cultural interest is toxic, delusional and only means as much energy devoted to not looking at the right thing. It's toxic because it only perpetuates stereotypes that do not belong on a skateboard as universal tool or language (resulting in mostly harmless jokes but also the occasional bout of more or less low-key xenophobia), delusional because people have kept going back and forth in between countries and continents ever since that became practical and affordable (and rightfully so, by essence skateboarding encourages exploration and connection); and, also because money blurs the whole game anyway, what will dictate whether or not the common skateboarder/consumer has even heard of a scene in the first place out of another thousand isn't just its raw skate talent (which is undeniable most everywhere since it's inherent to people), but also profit, considering its historically established industry presence and general economical potential.

If one really is interested by skateboarding then the skateboarding will matter before the country, but also indirectly open that potential window of curiosity and interest about the rest of the world within people and usually at a crucial developmental stage, which is a true positive. When the country seems to matter before the skateboarding though, then that usually means the person you're hearing regrettably has never used skating to expand their own boundaries and/or has something for sale somewhere.

But there's so much to be said about how the masses consume skateboarding (as a consequence to how it's been being branded to them), still thinking in terms of exoticism in 2022 where every local video from wack to amazing but more relatable than ads is on the Internet regardless of the 'shithole' it was made in, or where fanzines and small-time publications are visible everywhere on Instagram and yet some insist on complaining about the state of the press whilst renewing their Thrasher subscriptions as that shirt isn't going to flip itself. The excesses of skate tourism and general cultural pillage could write their own book by themselves too. But it's actually easy to keep the most positive outlook on skating possible by focusing all the good stuff scenes worldwide produce, indiscriminatorily. Which seems natural to me and so a bit crazy that it would actually mean undergoing some mental restructuring of their approach to some.

(Least we forget to remark that out of the two parties represented thus far, none seems to want Vincent Milou)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 02:38:46 AM »
Vincent milou seems pretty cool. If you dummies don't want him we'll have him.

Goodcurbs

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2022, 03:09:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

He rides for a horrible skateboard company whose only other pro left a security guard dead on the sidewalk making skaterslook bad. The whole team he rides for are shitbags. Everyone gets cancelled for petty shit, and this kid Jesse Vieira is a hero for fucking a security guard up
the images are horrific and they wanted to turn the dudes skull into a graphic.Thatt company is going out of business so he'll have to find a new sponsor anyways. That companys only decent pro is imported cause nobody wants nothing to do with the brand. He's an ignorant stooge for a disgusting company. Chase webb was the beginning. Most of the guys if not all have lots of allegations and criminal charges. They just use Vincent for some kind of fake cred. Everyone good quits cause it's a shit company. I just assume he's a piece of shit cause of the company he keeps.

Goodcurbs

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2022, 03:10:43 AM »
Vincent milou seems pretty cool. If you dummies don't want him we'll have him.
I'm telling him to pack his bags now!

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2022, 05:25:11 AM »
As much as I like the Sour crew, those videos feature about 5% Swedish spots and the rest are from Spain - and there's a reason for that.

For that reason, I'd still stick with Sweden as being a rather uninteresting country to put on this list.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 07:29:27 AM »
The mere thought of mentioning Germany here… still baffling to me how utterly irrelevant we’ve managed to stay throughout the years (in spite of good skaters here and there of course)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
He rides for a horrible skateboard company whose only other pro left a security guard dead on the sidewalk making skaterslook bad. The whole team he rides for are shitbags. Everyone gets cancelled for petty shit, and this kid Jesse Vieira is a hero for fucking a security guard up
the images are horrific and they wanted to turn the dudes skull into a graphic.Thatt company is going out of business so he'll have to find a new sponsor anyways. That companys only decent pro is imported cause nobody wants nothing to do with the brand. He's an ignorant stooge for a disgusting company. Chase webb was the beginning. Most of the guys if not all have lots of allegations and criminal charges. They just use Vincent for some kind of fake cred. Everyone good quits cause it's a shit company. I just assume he's a piece of shit cause of the company he keeps.

so you're mad at the foreign dude coming from a "shithole" because an American skater riding for the same American company did fucked-up shit? sounds like you have your priorities in order. you go on assuming and I'll "assume" you're a moron.

Goodcurbs

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2022, 11:56:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

so you're mad at the foreign dude coming from a "shithole" because an American skater riding for the same American company did fucked-up shit? sounds like you have your priorities in order. you go on assuming and I'll "assume" you're a moron.
Have you ever heard of guilt by association? I don't care what you assume. Assume all you want. You're wrong.

Viktor Tsoi

• Rep: -32
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 08:36:00 AM »
Obviously America bro wtf u smoking

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 08:54:06 AM »
Theres probably 5000 brazilians destroying shit right now but 3 of them will make it

Skatetron580

• Rep: -12
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 09:20:47 AM »
Russian Federation

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 10:46:21 AM »
Your mom, guess why lol

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
I can't say which country has the best scene, but I was recently in Paris and I was blown away by the amount of shit to skate in that city. Literally, something to hit on every block! There was a skatepark across from my hotel... go down the street a little further and there was a DIY under a bridge. Ledges, rails, and wedges at every turn! The concrete/surfaces are pretty chunky, but I think that just adds to the creativeness in putting a line together.  I was near the Eiffel tower one morning trying to take a picture of my wife with the tower in the background. Some dude with a camera asked me to move because they're trying to film a video. I took the picture and stepped aside... some dude comes barrelling from out of somewhere and wallies off some cement pawn-looking thing (that is about waist high) and launches off the top into a frontside wall ride. So GNARLY!