Author Topic: JENKEM: College? A perspective from pro skateboarders.  (Read 23457 times)

Pretty Serious

Re: JENKEM: College? A perspective from pro skateboarders.
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »

Not too complicated.  If you have interest and motivation, college can help you out.  If you're aimless at 30 and hoping college will magically pair you with a career you think you deserve, have fun at the Occupy Protests praying someone nulls the debt you signed up for.

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
  If you have interest and motivation, college can help you out.  If you're aimless at 30 and hoping college will magically pair you with a career you think you deserve, have fun at the Occupy Protests praying someone nulls the debt you signed up for.

Do people go to college on a lark in their 30s? That's what you do straight out of high school - or rather, you are going because someone expects you to or you have nothing better to do. Most people I know who went to college later in life did so with a focus on learning a specific, marketable skill and have done well for themselves.

The exception to this would be people who get snookered into some shitty online or for-profit school. Those are pretty much garbage.

I was one of those kids who went to college because it seemed expected of me after high school. I will say that it broadened my mind, made me a more critical thinker, and by the end (too late to help my GPA) I did learn to do work well and grow up a bit. I enjoyed the time and I will reiterate what others have said about there never being another place easier to meet girls. That said, I would probably do shit differently if given a do-over.

I went to a middling school and had a bullshit major. My degree has not helped me acquire work in any way besides allowing me to check the box that says B.A. on the application.

My sister went to an Ivy League school, got a bullshit degree and now works in Manhattan for hedge funds making bank. So there's your best option if you haven't fucked up high school yet (and let's face it, if you are on here you probably already did).

My wife went to a state school in her late 20s and got a degree in a specialized field for which her university had a strong job placement program.

Were I to do it over, I would try to take one of the latter routes. Hopefully try to work in some travel (study abroad, etc.) because once you get responsibilities that shit just ain't happening. I guess one last tip would be to get a serious internship and do it well because in a lot of fields that can be the easiest entrance to future real work.

I'm not saying college is unequivocally better than some other stuff like learning a trade but I do concur that one should avoid the I'm gonna totally fuck off throughout my twenties because it puts you in a shitty spot by your late thirties and beyond.

Jares

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »

Not too complicated.  If you have interest and motivation, college can help you out.  If you're aimless at 30 and hoping college will magically pair you with a career you think you deserve, have fun at the Occupy Protests praying someone nulls the debt you signed up for.

^Pretty much.

I dropped out of art school, but I just kept doing all the shit I would have been doing if I had stayed. Its working out, but the amount of work I have to do is just as gnarly. Also, when it comes to art, I can't be as delusional about what I am doing out here in the real world as I was while in School. I think this may also apply to skateboarding as a career.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »
how is a way i can go to college for free

1. Be really smart and go to a not so great school on academic full ride
2. Be pretty smart but also a poor minority and go to school with an academic scholarship and diversity related scholarships
3. Be really good at sports and go to state school on sports full ride
4. Have rich parents

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
The perspective in which college is viewed within skateboarding is really misguided. From all the things I've read about it via skate mags and interviews, its been made out to be scary, incredibly difficult, and almost unattainable. Pros with degrees seem lauded for their "amazing" achievement as if they did the impossible. Yet, the contrary is true. College, for the most part, is not difficult to get into, and while being much more demanding than high school, is actually fairly easy. Even grad school is pretty easy.

Ain't that the truth. I'd make an exception for STEM, law, and medical degrees cause those can be real time consuming, especially at good schools, but most (if not all) pro skaters don't get those degrees. They get sociology and psychology and general business degrees at lower tier schools, which are a fucking cake walk.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:16:36 PM by MYXGAMES2015 »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »
You're delusional. If I posted any further replies, I'd only be validating your delusions. Carry on.

Don't worry he folded once we found out he was a previous poster who came back to troll ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
I agree that college is not for everyone. It's not even for me, even though I'm a grad student at the moment.

The biggest reason I have been going to college is to avoid a "real job." I understand that that sounds lazy and spoiled or whatever to a lot of people, but what I mean is that I'm going to try my darndest to avoid doing things I don't want to do. I don't understand why people pride themselves by having shitty jobs and paying dues. Fuck that. If I have to get a "real job," I want it to at least be something I support, i.e., a local shop.

I probably differ from most people, but I feel like having a stable career and house w/family is awful. I don't understand the appeal of that sort of lifestyle, especially when one has a house loan that will stay with them for 20 years. I know several married dudes that are bummed that they can't be independent. I also know some dudes that really enjoy that - good for them.

I'm lucky enough to be gay and opposed to having a family anytime soon, if ever. I strongly believe in living up to my ideals as closely as possible, regardless of how much opposition comes my way.

I'm doing my MFA in Art. Though it's practically useless for anything other than teaching art, it's the best possible thing for myself. Instead of making art that nobody will buy or even care about, I'm going to try to use my final year here to help me survive after I graduate. Thank fucking Dog that I got a full ride.

P.S. The best way to avoid massive debt is to research which universities offer funding. Those with lower tuition are less likely to provide support.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Get a trade you fucking lot off cement heads

Ipromise2neversmokeweed

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:21 PM »
going to college is dumb...

but so is riding a skateboard lol

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Yeah, spill the beans.
[close]

I'm guessing Tom Krauser of Media Skateboards

Lenny rivas
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Kicked2thecurb

• Rep: -1
  • Happy birthday Mulks!
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
Anybody recall that 917 article that talked a bit upon a few of the main guys at the time being college educated ?

I think it was around the time of that 917 X Nike sb drop.
Open the gates of manifestation and grant me the powers of darkness

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
Really Jenkem, you could only find one dude with a Bachelors of Science degree...
C’mon now. Do some legwork.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 41
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
Anybody recall that 917 article that talked a bit upon a few of the main guys at the time being college educated ?

I think it was around the time of that 917 X Nike sb drop.
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/05/31/a-skateboarders-guide-to-colleges/
Nik Stain went to Temple for math/mathematical economics or something I think. Max Palmer and Cyrus went to Pratt for industrial design related things.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
This article was cool and all, but if Reese Salken says “Fuck School” you can bet your ass I’m going with his advice on the matter.

Hellride

• Rep: -20
  • https://youtu.be/UBMUk3FnEQs
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2020, 04:47:55 PM »
I once went to the University of Michigan worst is choice in my life

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2020, 08:28:46 AM »
People talk about college line it’s an either/or situation— either you go (4 year degree right after high school) or you don’t. But there are a lot of other options. You can chip away at some kind of useful qualification thru community or state college for pretty cheap, and you can probably do it online these days if you want to. Do it when you’re young or old, doesn’t matter. I know people who make big bucks doing computer programming and never even finished their associates degrees. They just took enough of the right cheap classes to get the skills and build a portfolio. And if you’re not technically inclined there are still plenty of things to learn like healthcare work or real estate or some shit.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2020, 08:44:59 AM »
College? NEVER!!

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
Really Jenkem, you could only find one dude with a Bachelors of Science degree...
C’mon now. Do some legwork.

Nothing sensible is coming up when I Google, but there was a story of a pro skater who is currently a PI in neurobiology.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
I miss HATE!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
It took me 9 years to get a bachelors degree, starting at a 4 year school for a semester, failing out, then a 4 year stint in community college while working/partying, then a fat break followed by 2 years at a state school earning a BS in English. Because I waited it out like that and stayed steady poor, it never really cost me much and I had a good time for most of it. Still, I've done nothing related to the major but it, combined with passing the state test to get a preliminary educators license, enabled me to get jobs in public schools. I'm working on a masters in social work right now, which again, because the state says I'm broke, is costing me very, very little in the way of funds. And still, I don't know that I'm going to do anything with it. I'm probably going to go back to CC and learn how to install solar panels and keep working for myself.

I will say that taking a fuck ton of liberal arts type courses helped me learn to thing and not be a chud who loves America and all that malarky. Was it necessary or worth the $40k or more debt most kids take on? Not at all. Many, however, don't see any other options for getting out of the suburb- college is sold as the only means to leave and grow up, which is pretty wack. I don't know. It's complicated lol
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »

Lol I got this one one the wall and college is free for me cuz I’m a vet. The homies have been trying to pressure me into going back to school but my little sister calls me like 4 times a week to vent about how shit her studies are going. She’s going for an architecture engineering degree or some shit at some college in philly, so it’s definitely harder than anything I would want to study.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2020, 06:27:52 AM »
School just wasnt my cup o tea. Some of my profs were nice tho

cky enthusiast

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2020, 07:00:36 AM »
i have no formal education higher than 10th grade and up until la pandemic was working for a unicorn startup. in my experience getting a “real job” is more in who you know and i was able to transition from being out on the street working into an office. it’s wack though, 9-5’s are soul sucking.

i would like to go to school but none of the things i’m interested in would pay well enough to justify the cost- esp since i’m paying out of pocket.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2020, 07:01:40 AM »
I once went to the University of Michigan worst is choice in my life

I had fun and now I have a career, worst part was freezing my ass off walking to classes in the winter.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

wil540

• Rep: -13
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2020, 07:19:01 AM »
P.S. The best way to avoid massive debt is to research which universities offer funding. Those with lower tuition are less likely to provide support.

This. There are scholarships and supportive programs out there, you just gotta find them.

sketchyrider

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2020, 07:33:27 AM »
i have no formal education higher than 10th grade and up until la pandemic was working for a unicorn startup. in my experience getting a “real job” is more in who you know and i was able to transition from being out on the street working into an office. it’s wack though, 9-5’s are soul sucking.

i would like to go to school but none of the things i’m interested in would pay well enough to justify the cost- esp since i’m paying out of pocket.

i didn't realize this til i started looking for a real job. i think i only have one friend who got hired without the help of friends/family members.

mushroom slice

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
Wax on wax off
Paint fence
Sand the floor
I think that’s pretty much all
You need to know in life.
School is overrated.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
I dropped out of high school, got me a GED immediately and thought I wouldn’t ever go to college because it wasn’t for me. Then reality hit me at 24 and figured out that hella people dumber than myself get to survive in Silicon Valley because they have degrees and there’s no room here anymore for dead end jobs. Did CC for 3 years and got 100% of my tuition paid for and even got to pocket around $1800 per quarter. Transferred to a state university and still get 100% of my tuition paid for through grants because I’m a broke ass over the age of 24. Now I’m graduating next December with a degree in business/accounting and a 3.7 GPA with no student loans taken out. Feels pretty good for a high school dropout. It’s never too late for college even if you did horribly in K-12

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Nice one. And yeah, there's several paths to higher education. No should be bummed they didn't go right after high school.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
how is a way i can go to college for free

its called go to europe