Author Topic: I can get married  (Read 4979 times)

The Woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
Re: I can get married
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
Could Gay people not have civil partnerships in the US before this? Always thought it was pretty much the same thing in all but name and ceremony.

You also run into alot of other issues with insurance and things because your not legally married so they dont view you as family, and family has way more rights in certain events than "friends" which is what they can consider you if your not fully married.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3388
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: I can get married
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Could Gay people not have civil partnerships in the US before this? Always thought it was pretty much the same thing in all but name and ceremony.

[close]

You also run into alot of other issues with insurance and things because your not legally married so they dont view you as family, and family has way more rights in certain events than "friends" which is what they can consider you if your not fully married.

This is why it was so important. I've had a few friends whose partners died and they were basically locked out of the process. They weren't allowed to visit him while he lay dying in the hospital. They had everything taken from them when the dude died. It was rough to see. There are scores of stories like this.