Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47371 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »
I top rope body slammed due to my front truck hanger falling off (fuck those low profile ti nuts) at some point during a high speed manual, landed on my left hand (holding a metal water  bottle, blew the cap right off that fucking like a pressure and I believe I tore my left rotator cuff (i've done it before working out but not this bad); no bruising or popping so I assume it's not broken (you never know)...it's been a couple weeks and it's gotten better but not 100% yet...tempted to go get radiation blast.

Working out, I threw out my back with poor form deadlifts, that took a week to get over, not too bad...but fuck me, yesterday, using floor exercises and items made specifically for back PT...I fuckign threw it out at again =(

As for ankle-peeps, I rolled my right one 3 years ago and it's never been right since...one improper heel flip landing and it tweaks...every time (so those are out).

Damn man, that’s terrible. Also glad to know about those low-profile kingpins, I will skip that purchase.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
Sorry to read about everyone's skate-related injuries here. I've had my share and know how it goes. A doctor once told me I have a high threshold for pain, and I imagine skateboarding has made us all a bit like that (for better and worse).

I have been doing pretty well but just yesterday, I slipped out and slammed my thigh on an edge of concrete. I did get very close to pulling the trick so it is frustrating. Today, still no bruising but a little swollen and painful to flex the leg beyond 90 degrees. Probably a quadracept hematoma. Got momentarily tripped out on the possibility of a blood clot, but went down a google rabbit hole and realized I'm probably fine and will be good after a couple weeks.

I wish everyone here much continued good health. Be as careful as you can be. It's a hectic, dangerous lifestyle that found us, but god damn if it isn't fun as all hell.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »
Fucked my ankle up on my birthday. Tried to do front half cab to front board on the flat bar at the park, bailed but my ankle did a straight 90 degree roll. Had such a good birthday that nothing could keep me down, but it's gonna be a bummer not being able to skate for a couple months probably. Gonna try and work on filming skills a little so i can still keep up with the crew

gogiants69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
First time poster, long time lurker:
2021 ACL tear and Surgery Due Diligence
FS grind in 9' "pool" deep end, should have been a standard shoulder slam, but stiff legged it straight to hell.  Carried out by the homies, sat on the side and eventually got home.  Couldn't sleep, drank a shit ton of beers, passed out, woke up and knew it was on.
I have insurance, so here's the vibe for anyone thinking about this procedure:
Hit the insurance company website to find orthopedic surgeons that specialize in sports medicine and "participate" in my plan.  Found one, went for an appointment.  Threw down the credit card for $340 dollars.  She said it was clear my knee is fucked, had to get an X ray.  X ray was covered by insurance, went back to the ortho, and determined bones are fine but something is definitely up.  I held out that it was some sort of "sprain."
Paid $40 dollars on the credit card for an MRI.  Brought MRI to the doc, and the 'nosis was "ACL is torn, Meniscus needs cleaning" Surgery is recommended.
First question was "do you want to just live a sedentary lifestyle" and i would rather not.
This ortho recommended me to Dr. Mandelbaum in Santa Monica, CA.  I'm from NJ, but just moved out here to LA for a job.  Dudes office has signed soccer jerseys, signed MMA posters, etc.  He's also the "medical director of US Soccer."  I don't know what any of that means, but figure an actual recommendation might be worth something to CA people. 
Got the surgery.  He took part of my quad muscle and made it into an ACL and cleaned up my Meniscus.  Everyone's different, but there's also the achilles "transplant."  I trusted the dude with the quad and here we go.
First day, whole leg doesn't feel.  And they asked me to get a little "pedlar" bike and i was doing motion stuff same day home.  Second day, leg feels like dogshit, like you just had surgery.  Agony.
Week out, crutches are no big deal, pain and depression, but it is what it is.
Two weeks out, walking, on the exercise bike, chilling, but sore.
Three weeks out was today, i can ride a bicycle to work, walk, and i go to PT 2 times a week for 3 hours. (also.. insurance)
My leg is at (-2) degrees (hyper extension) and (+120) degrees of flex.  Working towards -4 and +145.
Will update this thread on skating, but if you're here and you're like me, you're looking for some details to stay motivated. 
Doc says i'll be "skating" after 6 mos.  But i'm going to take it real easy, bought a new guitar, got the bicycle going, etc. 
My deductible is $1250 and my out of pocket max is $2500.  This type of thing, i will be paying at least $2500 and i have fire insurance.
Make sure you find a sports medicine surgeon.  Soccer, football, basketball, MMA, these people are taking care of their shit, so those doctors treat you pretty cool.  First appt, I was asked "so do you have a competition coming up." that felt pretty cool.
Keep your heads up buddhays.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2021, 08:38:56 PM »
I had my ACL reconstruction done by a doctor at Kaiser. He did a good job. Make sure you do your PT. I walked everywhere for about a year after my surgery, it felt good to strengthen it. Keep your head up, man.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2021, 08:48:41 PM »
Broke my right foot April 21st. Got my cast off about 5 days ago. I’m goofy. Pretty bummed. Did manage to do a switch flip on the carpet in my walking boot though. Progress!

Edit: read some posts earlier about insurance. I’m on tricare so my insurance covered all but 80 bucks of my Er bill. I’ve paid 40 bucks every visit to the ortho. I have a follow up on the 25th when I’m hoping to get cleared to skate, but that’s being ambitious.

gogiants69

« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2021, 10:35:21 PM »
I believe this is of note: every doc “takes” insurance but not everyone “participates” in the plan your presenting them.
Hoping the foot gets better, blood flow down there isn’t great. Insurance shouldn’t suck but here we are

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
I’ve been compounding mild injuries for a few weeks, trying to stretch and skate through them. Yesterday I tweaked my back just doing a slappy, and today I was so stiff that I couldn’t get up the curb.

I’m in probably above-average shape for a 40 year old tech worker, but it’s all starting to catch up. So I came home, put my skateboard away in the closet, packed up my skate shoes, and have decided that there will be no skateboarding for at least a week, maybe longer until I’m feeling somewhat limber again.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
   Broke my ankle trying to clean up a kickflip down some stairs when I was 17. I was pretty busy and didn’t really have time to be skating back then anyway. Right when I was about fully healed, I was going on a family trip and my plan was for my first session back to be the first day I got home. Over the trip I dropped a hot tub cover on my foot and broke my big toe. I was so bummed I couldn’t skate when I got back like I planned.
 My parents always thought a still from the sketchy make on the kickflip was really cool and they still have it framed in their basement next to other pictures of my siblings playing sports. Every time I’m over there it’s a funny/bad reminder of that entire time period. Props to my parents for being supportive though.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »
Finally was feeling semi okay again and got my old ass out to a park, then some flatground and tinkering with 2 setups to get dialed back in...then this morning somehow stepped on the hard plastic chair pad in my home office with one foot - which popped up the edge - and sliced my other foot along it. It was like those samurai manga movies...looked down and saw a red line on my foot which once I moved split open sending torrents of blood everywhere. Amazing.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2021, 01:05:19 AM »
FS grind in 9' "pool" deep end, should have been a standard shoulder slam, but stiff legged it straight to hell.  Carried out by the homies, sat on the side and eventually got home.  Couldn't sleep, drank a shit ton of beers, passed out, woke up and knew it was on.
Hit the insurance company website to find orthopedic surgeons that specialize in sports medicine and "participate" in my plan.  Found one, went for an appointment.  Threw down the credit card for $340 dollars.  She said it was clear my knee is fucked, had to get an X ray.  X ray was covered by insurance, went back to the ortho, and determined bones are fine but something is definitely up.  I held out that it was some sort of "sprain."
Paid $40 dollars on the credit card for an MRI.  Brought MRI to the doc, and the 'nosis was "ACL is torn, Meniscus needs cleaning" Surgery is recommended.
First question was "do you want to just live a sedentary lifestyle" and i would rather not.
This ortho recommended me to Dr. Mandelbaum in Santa Monica, CA.  I'm from NJ, but just moved out here to LA for a job.  Dudes office has signed soccer jerseys, signed MMA posters, etc.  He's also the "medical director of US Soccer."  I don't know what any of that means, but figure an actual recommendation might be worth something to CA people. 
Got the surgery.  He took part of my quad muscle and made it into an ACL and cleaned up my Meniscus.  Everyone's different, but there's also the achilles "transplant."  I trusted the dude with the quad and here we go.
First day, whole leg doesn't feel.  And they asked me to get a little "pedlar" bike and i was doing motion stuff same day home.  Second day, leg feels like dogshit, like you just had surgery.  Agony.
Three weeks out was today, i can ride a bicycle to work, walk, and i go to PT 2 times a week for 3 hours. (also.. insurance)
My leg is at (-2) degrees (hyper extension) and (+120) degrees of flex.  Working towards -4 and +145.
Will update this thread on skating, but if you're here and you're like me, you're looking for some details to stay motivated. 
Doc says i'll be "skating" after 6 mos.  But i'm going to take it real easy, bought a new guitar, got the bicycle going, etc. 
My deductible is $1250 and my out of pocket max is $2500.  This type of thing, i will be paying at least $2500 and i have fire insurance.
Make sure you find a sports medicine surgeon.  Soccer, football, basketball, MMA, these people are taking care of their shit, so those doctors treat you pretty cool.  First appt, I was asked "so do you have a competition coming up." that felt pretty cool.
Kerlan Jobe clinic is legendarily good. I still live in LA because I want to have them fix my elbow. They are pretty much PPO only so I don't think you can get in through an HMO. If I get it fixed or they tell me it's as good as it's gonna get I'll probably leave for good. But seriously that clinic has a crazy good reputation.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »
Posted this in "Things You Are Not Stoked On," but probably makes more sense here.

Was skating home in Brooklyn Saturday night a little stoned/drunk from hanging in the sun/pool all day. Had just picked up takeout burritos and a bottle of wine. Was on the home stretch and got tossed Garrett Hill-style by a pebble in the middle of traffic. No hands to catch myself so totally ate it with my body after trying to run it out a few steps.

Road rash everywhere, gnarliest hip bruise I've ever had, plus a sprained/overextended right foot. There's a salsa stain on the street, but somehow the food and wine made it.

Flew right in front of a cyclist who exclaimed in real time "Oh noooo...."

Massivecunt

• [url=https://ibb.co/2cnQFMC][img]https://i.ibb.co/
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Tore my meniscus two weeks ago.

Kicked away a 360 flip on a steep bank and jogged down it. Two steps later something in my knee popped and it didn't hurt but my knee felt like it was folding inwards. I chilled for a minute or two and then knew something was a bit fucked up.
I'm surprised in the last 21 years this was the first time I had knee problems. After a scan and realising it was my meniscus I had an appointment for an operation less than a week later.
We talked about options and I told the doctors I'd rather have the damaged piece snipped away. It was keyhole surgery and a day and a half after the op I was back at home.
5 days later and I can walk normally but still trying to stay off it and use crutches for another few days. I was so glad it wasn't my mcl or other ligaments.

I was super stoked on the fact everything happened quickly after the injury. I can't imagine how it would be if I lived somewhere else.
Im an Irish guy but have lived in Vienna for the last 9 years. The worst of the bills was a €30 bill for two and a half days in hospital with the surgery and medication.

Has anyone had a similar injury that can give me some advice? I guess I'll need a bit of physio. Until now I've taken hardly any painkillers but have drank shit loads of beer because being at home is a bit dull

Massivecunt

• [url=https://ibb.co/2cnQFMC][img]https://i.ibb.co/
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2021, 06:49:56 PM »
Yeah I'm drunk!
Vienna is in Austria. I've hit a balance board and resistance bands at home already because I'm an old fuck (33)
Any tips would be appreciated

Drunkb3er

• Rep: -23
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »
Just broke my forearm is there anybody who went through this lemme know how much time spent without skating and what kind of guards or pads did u used after if any ?? thanks im actually skating with my cast over the elbow kinda sucks but hopefully ill b back in some weeks i like to think

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2021, 09:01:37 AM »
Just broke my forearm is there anybody who went through this lemme know how much time spent without skating and what kind of guards or pads did u used after if any ?? thanks im actually skating with my cast over the elbow kinda sucks but hopefully ill b back in some weeks i like to think

Years ago I broke both my radius and ulna (both bones in my forearm) and ended up getting surgery. I snapped both bones and didn’t get surgery the first time, got it casted for 6 weeks and started skating again with a wrist guard right after. Slammed on my arm about a week or two into skating again and snapped through the new bone that formed.
Got surgery and had 2 plates and 6 screws put in to hold them together. All the hardware is still in my arm 10 years later but I don’t feel it too much. After my surgery it was probably 4-6 months that I didn’t skate but when I got back on it I felt good as new. I’ve had a ton of broken wrists and arms, definitely no fun but I’d say it’s better than an ankle or knee injury. You’ll be back in no time.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2021, 09:32:38 AM »
Rolled my ankle while battling nollie flips two weeks ago.  My weight was too far forward and landed on the tip of the nose with the arch of my front foot.  It wasn't too bad luckily but there's still a little bit of swelling.  I reckon I'll be able to go for a low-key session next weekend.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »

Kicked away a 360 flip on a steep bank and jogged down it. Two steps later something in my knee popped and it didn't hurt but my knee felt like it was folding inwards. I chilled for a minute or two and then knew something was a bit fucked up.
I'm surprised in the last 21 years this was the first time I had knee problems. After a scan and realising it was my meniscus I had an appointment for an operation less than a week later.
We talked about options and I told the doctors I'd rather have the damaged piece snipped away. It was keyhole surgery and a day and a half after the op I was back at home.
5 days later and I can walk normally but still trying to stay off it and use crutches for another few days. I was so glad it wasn't my mcl or other ligaments.

I was super stoked on the fact everything happened quickly after the injury. I can't imagine how it would be if I lived somewhere else.
Im an Irish guy but have lived in Vienna for the last 9 years. The worst of the bills was a €30 bill for two and a half days in hospital with the surgery and medication.

Has anyone had a similar injury that can give me some advice? I guess I'll need a bit of physio. Until now I've taken hardly any painkillers but have drank shit loads of beer because being at home is a bit dull

PT/Rehab and stay off the booze (it will only delay recovery). You'll be back on the board in a month or two. Luckily it doesn't sound like a serious injury but knees are finicky so take it slow.

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
Has anyone dealt with a high ankle injury? I got off the booze about 4 weeks into the injury since I couldn’t control myself so I know that will affect recovery. I just don’t know what to do for recovery and rehab.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »
^ use your google - do slow circles/alphabets

Bumping to see if anyone's dealt with turf toe: hyperextention of the big toe upwards which tears the joint apart. 5 weeks in and I can barley stand on my board

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »
I had knee surgery on both meniscus on my right knee at the end of 2019. For the most part my legs been good, definitely not like my left but I can skate and stand up for long periods without my calf cramping up and the whole back of my leg hurting. This past week that pain has come back but only on my lateral meniscus the outside one. Anyone who’s had meniscus surgery experience this? I didn’t fall or have a traumatic injury like how I originally tore it but last night taking a shower I was basically hopping on my left leg because the pain was too much on my right. I’m hoping it’s just a lot of tightness. Going to the doc on Monday.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2021, 01:41:11 AM »

I had something like 4 meniscus surgeries, usually it's pretty easy to get over. A bit of physio and you'll be fine. Now I'm 47 and I can still skate/snowboard somewhat (nothing too risky of course, not to many jumps...), but any sport where you have to pivot/turn around quick is a no-no. Soccer, basketball, tennis, things like that tend to fuck up my knees really quick and make me limp for a good few weeks. Even just playing soccer with my kids is risky. Docs also told me I should avoid running/jogging.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »
long time lurker here. finaly made an account today cause ive been stuck at home for the past 2 weeks and boredom is killing me.
dislocated my collarbone (AC Luxation) 2 weeks ago on a really dumb slam. not even worthy of getting hurt on but you know how it goes. no doctors where able to tell me how long it will exactly take to cure. anywhere between 6 weeks to 3 months i was told. just rest and no heavy labour or sports till its good.
so i havn't been able to work now. i'm slowly getting movement in my arm back but still not able to use any force. the progression i've made so far gives me hope it's going to be allright in a couple more weeks. just wonder whats the right moment to start working again. starting too early will only prolong the recovery time. but i don't get paid sick leave.

dofrenzy

« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2021, 07:34:26 AM »
@disclosed 

Welcome! 

I have a separated shoulder (Type III, right side) so my clavicle (collarbone) is noticeably raised.  It moves up and down like a piano key when I press down on it.

Overhand motions like throwing a ball are out but that is really my only limitation.  I went through the whole ride in an ambulance, hospital waiting room, etc. only to be told there was nothing to be done unless I *really* wanted an operation, which I do NOT want.

I don't recall taking anything in particular but maybe an anti-inflammatory will help with swelling.

What kind of work do you do?  If it doesn't involve putting your arm over your head with any kind of force you might be able to compensate for work in other ways.

Anyway, I am not a doctor, just want to share some hope.  My job was at a computer at the time so not a big deal for me.

What my doctor did for me at my follow-up was check my range of motion and strength.  like holding my arm out straight and pressing down while I pressed up and vice versa.  maybe there are some Google results for AC range of motion exercises you could search and compare your results to the type of work you do.

Good luck and sorry about your injury!

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2021, 08:30:48 AM »
@disclosed 

Welcome! 

I have a separated shoulder (Type III, right side) so my clavicle (collarbone) is noticeably raised.  It moves up and down like a piano key when I press down on it.

Overhand motions like throwing a ball are out but that is really my only limitation.  I went through the whole ride in an ambulance, hospital waiting room, etc. only to be told there was nothing to be done unless I *really* wanted an operation, which I do NOT want.

I don't recall taking anything in particular but maybe an anti-inflammatory will help with swelling.

What kind of work do you do?  If it doesn't involve putting your arm over your head with any kind of force you might be able to compensate for work in other ways.

Anyway, I am not a doctor, just want to share some hope.  My job was at a computer at the time so not a big deal for me.

What my doctor did for me at my follow-up was check my range of motion and strength.  like holding my arm out straight and pressing down while I pressed up and vice versa.  maybe there are some Google results for AC range of motion exercises you could search and compare your results to the type of work you do.

Good luck and sorry about your injury!

i have a class 2 luckily. but the first week i couln't move my shoulder at all. this week i was finally able to shave my beard since i coulnt reach my face that well with my right hand earlier. now the last 2 days movement is like you said. anything overhead is still painfull. lower quick motions too.

i work in a tomato greenhouse. work usually involves moving 300/400kg cars wich is out of the question now. cutting leaves is the safest bet for now, doesnt really take strenght but its allways over head. hope i can try to start next week if movement improves some more this week. if not maybe i can arrange something else. also might have to try a half day first. dont think 10 hours of nonstop movement out of nowhere is going to feel nice.

dofrenzy

« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »
i have a class 2 luckily. but the first week i couln't move my shoulder at all. this week i was finally able to shave my beard since i coulnt reach my face that well with my right hand earlier. now the last 2 days movement is like you said. anything overhead is still painfull. lower quick motions too.

i work in a tomato greenhouse. work usually involves moving 300/400kg cars wich is out of the question now. cutting leaves is the safest bet for now, doesnt really take strenght but its allways over head. hope i can try to start next week if movement improves some more this week. if not maybe i can arrange something else. also might have to try a half day first. dont think 10 hours of nonstop movement out of nowhere is going to feel nice.

Ouch dude, that is a harsh situation for this type of injury.  Wishing you the best!

busted-knee

• Rep: -12
« Reply #266 on: August 24, 2021, 09:59:39 AM »
First up, get well soon all!

I'm currently recuperating after my second wrist surgery in 12 months. First non-skate related injury in a long time (teenage girl walked out in front of my on the bike and I took a nasty fall over the bars avoiding hitting her).

The net result was that I tore the ECU tendon in my wrist and a bunch of ligaments. The first surgery basically put pins and an anchor into bone to reconnect the ECU tendon. This surgery went pretty well but when I started rehabbing the wrist I had 9 months of hell - nasty pain and swelling in my hand/wrist. After several cortisone injections and a bunch of MRIs, my surgeon decided that the only option was more surgery as the ligaments weren't healing. Now waiting to see if the second surgery was a success.

Has anyone else had this kind of surgery? Was it successful? Is your hand/wrist now normal?

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #267 on: August 24, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »
I dislocated my toe the other day skating some steps, so stupid I think I just landed on the last step and popped it out. Wasn't too fun climbing the fence out after but pretty glad it's not broken. We just got a mini heatwave here though after weeks of rain so it sucks I can't skate for it! Just coming back from breaking my wrist in 3 places at the start of Summer too, starting to get on a first name basis with the receptionists in the fracture clinic, not the best look.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #268 on: August 24, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
I had the exact same surgery in 2013.  I had to be in an immobilized brace thing for about a month or so, then pt.  My knee felt great after about 8 months from surgery.  It has been the best surgery I’ve had.  I have several metal plates and screws from other breaks

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »
Ended my session this morning with a broken left wrist. Sitting in the ER now. I’m left handed too so this is taking forever to type.

Get hungry on it!