Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47485 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #330 on: January 08, 2022, 10:02:35 PM »
What the fuck is sesamoiditis and have any of you ever dealt with it?
I didn’t even do it skating, but I went for a quick roll the other day and it aggravated the shit out of it …

basically fatigued/inflamed balls of feet from pressure. should go away with rest and maybe there's something you can apply to it. i guess anything that treats any swelling would work. also try to keep your weight on your heels more while standing until it's gone.

i would take a few days of skating if you want to get rid of it quick. it's kind of like foot ball bruise, just not acute like after a bail or landing. more from fatigue or overuse.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #331 on: January 08, 2022, 11:05:04 PM »
Got ran over by a full size truck and trailer, spent 8 months in the hospital and a total of over two years in bed/wheelchair. Still cant feel most of my left leg.

All of which obviously prevents me from standing on a skateboard let alone pushing or cracking an ollie. Ive got a pretty bitchin cane though.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2022, 12:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote
I didn’t even do it skating, but I went for a quick roll the other day and it aggravated the shit out of it …
[close]

basically fatigued/inflamed balls of feet from pressure. should go away with rest and maybe there's something you can apply to it. i guess anything that treats any swelling would work. also try to keep your weight on your heels more while standing until it's gone.

i would take a few days of skating if you want to get rid of it quick. it's kind of like foot ball bruise, just not acute like after a bail or landing. more from fatigue or overuse.

I only read that first part initially and was slightly  worried.  ::)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ModernDance

• Rep: -1
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2022, 01:26:03 AM »
Torn meniscus

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2022, 08:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, i actually had to pause when i wrote this XD

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, i actually had to pause when i wrote this XD
hahaha!
 yeah, inflamed tiny bone under the joint of your big toe. as you said, not caused by a specific fall or whatever, just overworked and thus flaring up. As I mentioned, I didn't even do it skating. Will take a break for a few weeks, hope it doesn't drag on...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:09:13 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2022, 09:17:35 PM »
annoying/reoccurring (not so much this recently) tearing of my patellar tendons in both legs. the worst most depressing feeling ever.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2022, 08:58:44 AM »
Flat tre flip is popped pretty high and the super heavy deck  landed on my pinky toe 9 days ago. I kept skating for two hours. When I was home it was completely purple and swollen.

Still swollen a bit to this day and hurts when walking. Not too bad, but still.

I wonder when I should skate again.

Anybody had something similar and how long did it take ?
To get back ?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2022, 09:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Yall anyone doing the Knees over toes program? Looks legit. I will be experimenting.

[close]

Thanks for this video. I'm trying to come back from a badly folded ankle (nothing broken / just ligament damage).
It's been about 2 months and I have about 90% of my range of motion back but it still hurts like hell to flick. How much longer will I have to deal with this? I feel like it should be better by now.
Anyone doubting knees over toes guy my old man started doing this stuff and just ran a half marathon. He is in his 70s (altho he is a freak/unit). He also walks like 100kms a week and a couple years ago was kinda fucked. Anyway there's gotta be something to that guys routines.

robocop

• Rep: 6
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »
annoying/reoccurring (not so much this recently) tearing of my patellar tendons in both legs. the worst most depressing feeling ever.

You're not alone, I have the same exact shit going on.  Started almost 2 years ago.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »
Flat tre flip is popped pretty high and the super heavy deck  landed on my pinky toe 9 days ago. I kept skating for two hours. When I was home it was completely purple and swollen.

To get back ?
Sounds like you broke your pinky toe. Not much you can do about it but just let it heal. Mine was like 14 days exactly before it stopped hurting.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #341 on: February 20, 2022, 06:09:28 PM »
Expand Quote

To get back ?
[close]
Sounds like you broke your pinky toe. Not much you can do about it but just let it heal. Mine was like 14 days exactly before it stopped hurting.

Yeah, might be broken unfortunately. Nothing looks crooked, just swollen and painful. Maybe just contusion , I absolutely don’t know how to distinguish...

Did you skate again after the 14 days when the pain was gone?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2022, 07:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

To get back ?
[close]
[close]

Yeah, might be broken unfortunately. Nothing looks crooked, just swollen and painful. Maybe just contusion , I absolutely don’t know how to distinguish...

Yeah it was fine afterwards. It was really bad even up to like day 11. I noticed it when was exactly two weeks it didn't hurt anymore and I could wiggle it like normal. That made me feel like I had the go ahead. When I first did it, you could tell it wasn't attached and I couldn't really move it for at least the first couple of days
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2022, 01:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

To get back ?
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah it was fine afterwards. It was really bad even up to like day 11. I noticed it when was exactly two weeks it didn't hurt anymore and I could wiggle it like normal. That made me feel like I had the go ahead. When I first did it, you could tell it wasn't attached and I couldn't really move it for at least the first couple of days

Thanks! I hope it will that fast

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2022, 01:57:45 AM »
anyone else get something that feels like a fucked up stretch in the tendon at the front of your ankle? it's the spot at the opposite of your achilles tendon.
sometimes i'll land kind of wrong on a nollie or something, and it'll completely fuck up my back foot for a minute or two.
is there anything I should look out for, or do about it?
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2022, 07:33:53 AM »
anyone else get something that feels like a fucked up stretch in the tendon at the front of your ankle? it's the spot at the opposite of your achilles tendon.
sometimes i'll land kind of wrong on a nollie or something, and it'll completely fuck up my back foot for a minute or two.
is there anything I should look out for, or do about it?

I had this once everytime I was skating !!

Didn’t have it for pretty long time now. Maybe you should stretch your ankles and what I did too was rolling out that peroneus brevis part of the leg with a (fascia?) Ball.

Maybe that’s why it’s gone, let me know if this helps you

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #346 on: February 23, 2022, 04:52:19 AM »
Been having knee problems with my popping knee on and off the last couple months. Osteopath saw me this morning and suspects a small cartilage tear - apparently it might grind itself away but because of where it is it could take a year or more. The alternative is an MRI and minor surgery.

It could also be a piece of crap floating around in the joint and occasionally causing my knee to catch mid-step. Jury is out without a scan.

I strongly suspect it's been the heavy sessioning of a particular trick that's aggravating it - which is quite annoying as it's one I enjoy doing, but apparantly my knee probably isn't liking the squat and twist motion of half cab flips.

Been advised to avoid that trick and similar fakie BS twisty tricks for a month or so and see if my knee improves.

rhetoric

• Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2022, 02:43:53 PM »
After nearly a month and a half, I feel confident/comfortable enough with my left side ribs to get back out there. I took a slam in December, landed with my elbow directly in the center of my ribs and was in a lot of pain with limited mobility until about the middle of January. Went out and within 10 minutes, same exact slam happened. Pain and mobility was obviously much worse, and I still feel bruising there to the day when I turn a certain way or when I take a really deep breath. I'm terrified of it now though, I feel like if it happens again I'm gonna puncture a fucking lung.

Currently dealing with a bruised ankle and this really uncomfortable, but not painful, nerve thing going on right where the bottom of your ass meets the top of your thigh. There's a localized area of pain/soreness, like a bruise, but it feels much more like a pinched nerve the way it affects my whole leg. Both of these are on my right leg.
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2022, 11:03:37 PM »
After nearly a month and a half, I feel confident/comfortable enough with my left side ribs to get back out there. I took a slam in December, landed with my elbow directly in the center of my ribs and was in a lot of pain with limited mobility until about the middle of January. Went out and within 10 minutes, same exact slam happened. Pain and mobility was obviously much worse, and I still feel bruising there to the day when I turn a certain way or when I take a really deep breath. I'm terrified of it now though, I feel like if it happens again I'm gonna puncture a fucking lung.

Currently dealing with a bruised ankle and this really uncomfortable, but not painful, nerve thing going on right where the bottom of your ass meets the top of your thigh. There's a localized area of pain/soreness, like a bruise, but it feels much more like a pinched nerve the way it affects my whole leg. Both of these are on my right leg.

Dude I feel you, I had a punctured lung in December (but not from slamming). On my first session after recovery I took a slam elbow on ribcage and thought, here we go again. But the lung held up. I understand it takes quite a lot of an impact to puncture a lung from blunt trauma. You probably would have to break the rib and have it pierce the lung for that to happen. I also still feel the bruise on the ribcage, but it does not prevent me from skating.

Hear me out. What I am trying to say is,

1) you slammed twice on your elbow/ribcage which is quite an unfortunate coincidence but how often has this happen to you before? I assume not often, if ever, so the likelihood it will happen again anytime soon is remote;

2) even if you slam on the ribcage again it is unlikely you puncture a lung;

3) even if you puncture a lung, this is not a huge deal, you‘ll spend two or three days in hospital but you will fully recover.

I hope that helps taking away some of the fear. Get well soon.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2022, 05:19:48 AM »
Over 1 month since my pinky toe injury. Still don’t know if broken or contusion.

It was much better. I skated again. It swell up again. Pain is back. I’m so fucked.

Such a little injury is holding me back for such a long time.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2022, 05:29:23 AM »
I'm really with you on the toe injury man, I blew out my big toe around 8 months ago and haven't felt close to 100% since. Every time I skate I feel like it sets me back a couple weeks. Really wish I'd babied it more in the early stages. Trying some really lowkey PT and wearing a boot when I can. Wish you the best on that g

Goggzy60

« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2022, 05:36:25 AM »
Fractured my Cuboid and sprained my ankle big time. Another 2-3 months out. Getting old sucks seems like the second I hit 27 (2 years ago) injuries started popping like crazy.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2022, 05:42:19 AM »
I'm really with you on the toe injury man, I blew out my big toe around 8 months ago and haven't felt close to 100% since. Every time I skate I feel like it sets me back a couple weeks. Really wish I'd babied it more in the early stages. Trying some really lowkey PT and wearing a boot when I can. Wish you the best on that g

Wow, this is crazy. How did it happen? A flatground tre for me ending with the board landing on my pinky.

I saw a dude on Reddit and he broke his big toe. Three weeks later he was back like nothing happened.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2022, 07:10:32 AM »

Wow, this is crazy. How did it happen? A flatground tre for me ending with the board landing on my pinky.

I saw a dude on Reddit and he broke his big toe. Three weeks later he was back like nothing happened.

I slid out turning on flat lol and sat all my weight on my big toe joint. I didn't break it but definitely wrenched whatever tendons and ligaments. Would heal a lot faster if I didn't walk around at work all day, I've torn mcls/meniscus and broken ankles but the toe injuries are honestly the worst by far, much love to anyone dealing with that bs. Taping it helps and you can get a steel toe insole for like $20 that helps too. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery 🤙 seems like all the homies are getting parked

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2022, 07:52:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't know there was a name for this. I tried a bunch of insoles and those gel bunion guards to elevate the painful pressure. The Gel guards actually worked pretty well, until they started moving out of position 15 mins into a session. I tried cutting a gel pad up and epoxying it into my insole, but it kept coming undone. Not to mention it felt weird already having a fat ball of the foot and then stacking a thick gel pad under it. If someone would produce an insole with just that super soft gel in the ball of the foot, that'd be ideal. Haven't found such a product though, just gel insoles that are too hard and provide little relief.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

robocop

« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »
I got a cortisone shot for my knees, the doctor went over some side effects, but not the potential weakening of tendons side effect that I'm reading online.  Anybody here experience an injured tendon after the shot while skating?  I plan to take it easy for about 5 days then have a session, but feeling a little paranoid about the effects on tendons because my bum knee started from a partial patella tear.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2022, 02:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I slid out turning on flat lol and sat all my weight on my big toe joint. I didn't break it but definitely wrenched whatever tendons and ligaments. Would heal a lot faster if I didn't walk around at work all day, I've torn mcls/meniscus and broken ankles but the toe injuries are honestly the worst by far, much love to anyone dealing with that bs. Taping it helps and you can get a steel toe insole for like $20 that helps too. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery 🤙 seems like all the homies are getting parked

Crazy how such a „little“ injury can be such a struggle. But yeah. Walking on that little MF all the time really doesn’t help.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2022, 09:23:33 PM »
I broke my big toe back when I was in high school. Took a few weeks for the nail to turn black, then fall off. Then another month or more after that to feel healed. To skate I used to tape it up, or tape a popsicle stick on the top and the bottom to stabilize. It wasn’t my pushing foot, so I could still roll but any kind of impact hurt like a bitch. I think I ended up getting a toe immobilizer, probably can get one at any drug store. To this day after a long day I have to pop and crack it so intensely to feel relaxed. Probably didn’t help that I kept skating at the time. Just chill as long as you can.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2022, 07:50:04 AM »
Got ran over by a full size truck and trailer, spent 8 months in the hospital and a total of over two years in bed/wheelchair. Still cant feel most of my left leg.

All of which obviously prevents me from standing on a skateboard let alone pushing or cracking an ollie. Ive got a pretty bitchin cane though.

shit man. that's heavy. how long ago did this happen? what happened? if you don't mind me asking.

stay strong my man.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2022, 08:01:44 AM »
my achilles have been getting super irritated any time I walk more than a mile or do any type of physical activity. it all started when I got this new job and hasnt gone away for almost a month. its getting better slowly but im starting to get kinda worried and dont really know what to do. anybody have any advice? I've tried gently stretching it and icing but that only seems to do so much.
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick