Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47613 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -407
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 29, 2022, 01:06:07 PM »
@sluggers

Recently I was riding down the sidewalk really pushing on my cruiser board and my wheels hit the edge of the grass which was edged so it was like a dirt curb. I stopped dead and flew onto my ribs and hip. Nothing broke but it was scary.

Falling ain’t the same anymore.

Ha, did the same last year cruising around the Town Center in Jax. Edge of sidewalk, dirt, grass, immediate slam, no chance to roll out. Felt like I had just taken my arm and bashed it against a wall. Wrist in pain for a month, but my Casio watch was still perfect. I walked through Nordstrom’s and asked a chick if her uncle was a doctor and if a bone was sticking out by my elbow because that is what it felt like, luckily, no.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2022, 07:22:22 PM »
I have a history of problems with my left knee and had a pretty painful dislocation recently. Just got the OK to skate again, so long as I wear a brace. It's super restricting and I feel like I'm relearning every trick now, plus there's an element of fear of injury that I have never experienced before. Blah.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2022, 07:53:29 PM »
I have a history of problems with my left knee and had a pretty painful dislocation recently. Just got the OK to skate again, so long as I wear a brace. It's super restricting and I feel like I'm relearning every trick now, plus there's an element of fear of injury that I have never experienced before. Blah.

You’ll get into the groove. I had a knee injury in 2016. First day at the skate park. Hadn’t skated transition in like 20 years. Rock fakie toe drag sprained acl.

I re injured it like a year later at the wooden mini skating in the dark and the rain. Lol. It made a loud pop and I was fine. Doesn’t hurt unless I drive orbits going to rain now.

Just listen to your body eat mad broccoli and stuff. Like fish? That the secret weapon to getting better fast. Get strong and have fun
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #423 on: July 18, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »
I'm just about on the other side of it, but last week I had a really weird situation where I was skating, felt completely fine, then my neck/upper back just completely seized up from underrotating a trick and kinda turning weird. Didn't even slam, just turned weird. Completely pulled my neck and a week later it still hurts. Anybody else deal with this? I've slept on my neck wrong plenty of times but this went from 0-10 in almost an instant.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »
got shoveled at FDR and slammed on my hip so hard my legs went numb. the feeling came back and i was able to keep skating for a little while. the only
thing is i have this residual needley feeling in both of my arms at the bicep and wrists. i figure i bashed some nerves or pinched something

plan on staying off the board for a while as a precaution and i’ve been hitting the foam roller and went to a hot yoga practice yesterday- my body is functioning fine (a lil sore but whatever).

does anyone know how long it takes for this sensation in my arms to go away? it feels like i’m getting blood drawn 24/7 and it’s been waking me up at night

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2022, 04:50:33 PM »
got shoveled at FDR and slammed on my hip so hard my legs went numb. the feeling came back and i was able to keep skating for a little while. the only
thing is i have this residual needley feeling in both of my arms at the bicep and wrists. i figure i bashed some nerves or pinched something

plan on staying off the board for a while as a precaution and i’ve been hitting the foam roller and went to a hot yoga practice yesterday- my body is functioning fine (a lil sore but whatever).

does anyone know how long it takes for this sensation in my arms to go away? it feels like i’m getting blood drawn 24/7 and it’s been waking me up at night

if this persists more than a few days i would get it checked out, just in case it's not just a pinch. and even those can sometimes only be fixed with a doc. but i would make sure it has nothing to do with my spine or neck. no idea what it is tho. i guess if it doesn't get worse and you feel reasonably alright you'll eventually be fine.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #426 on: July 22, 2022, 03:35:08 AM »
My left foot, the toe clippers to my big toe got dislocated 15 years ago and it never got put back into place correctly and now it’s crooke and the tip of it points to the ground. It never bothered me at first, but years later, as I got older, it became a problem, it messes with my balance on my board and with the way I flick any type of switch flip variations. Then there’s my left hip joint, it’s completely worn out and  licks and clunks all the time. My health insurance won’t cover a hip replacement surgery because they’ve said I’m too young to need hip replacement surgery, gotta love cheap (basically free) OHP insurance.
//////////

cky enthusiast

« Reply #427 on: July 22, 2022, 06:17:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if this persists more than a few days i would get it checked out, just in case it's not just a pinch. and even those can sometimes only be fixed with a doc. but i would make sure it has nothing to do with my spine or neck. no idea what it is tho. i guess if it doesn't get worse and you feel reasonably alright you'll eventually be fine.

i def had whiplash on my right side of my neck but that’s healing okay-

i got tattooed on weds and that dulled it a little and my new theory is when i slammed whatever nerve controls the musculature in my arms and shoulders went BZZT and locked my shit up for a split second. so i’m just insanely sore in one specific spot from the inside out

my hip is fine and i’ve been riding my bike and walking places so i’m fairly sure i’m good. just weird when you have a new type of pain to figure out at 30

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #428 on: July 22, 2022, 08:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i def had whiplash on my right side of my neck but that’s healing okay-

i got tattooed on weds and that dulled it a little and my new theory is when i slammed whatever nerve controls the musculature in my arms and shoulders went BZZT and locked my shit up for a split second. so i’m just insanely sore in one specific spot from the inside out

my hip is fine and i’ve been riding my bike and walking places so i’m fairly sure i’m good. just weird when you have a new type of pain to figure out at 30

yeah sounds like a lot of things coming together. i have sometimes similar issues when i hurt myself or am sore, but it's more often like my muscles don't stop spazzing out or twitching until they sort of chill down, but sometimes numbness, too. i had good results trying to look for reflex zones that seem sore that are connected and just massaging them. usually when i get numb hands or twitchy forearms massaging a certain spot on my elbow(don't know the name) usually helps, it seems all that stuff connects there.

that shit sucks tho, i hope you get over it soon. last time i had numb hands for a couple days i had to play guitar and it felt horrible and was no fun. just sort of dreadful.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #429 on: July 31, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
My calf feels super tight going down into my Achilles and I can’t stay standing up for too long. I’ve had surgery on that leg for a torn meniscus but it’s been good since. Just recently I started to feel it tighten up and it hasn’t stopped since.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #430 on: July 31, 2022, 10:25:55 PM »
I'm just about on the other side of it, but last week I had a really weird situation where I was skating, felt completely fine, then my neck/upper back just completely seized up from underrotating a trick and kinda turning weird. Didn't even slam, just turned weird. Completely pulled my neck and a week later it still hurts. Anybody else deal with this? I've slept on my neck wrong plenty of times but this went from 0-10 in almost an instant.

Sounds like a flared up or pinched nerve in your back or neck.
//////////

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #431 on: July 31, 2022, 10:40:03 PM »
Haven’t been able to skate for over a month due to my knee. About to make an appointment with the doc.

I think it’s bursitis but it is becoming more noticeable below the knee cap rather than underneath. It’s slowly feeling better ever since I got a compression sleeve and new inserts for my shoes (dr scholls athletic).

Went on a hike today and it feels better than usual but still weak. Pretty bummed because skating on the weekend and before work was a huge boost for my mental health.
The chillest1

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #432 on: July 31, 2022, 11:08:09 PM »
Pretty bummed because skating on the weekend and before work was a huge boost for my mental health.
this is the biggest thing for me too, not being able to skate/ do physical activity really does my head in!
Will get second mri on my knee on the 10th of this month, have been doing lots of physio and went weeks without pain (was even contemplating cruising around the block) but suddenly yesterday it started to flare up again and make me feel like a crippple back at square one… hopefully it’s only a minor setback

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #433 on: July 31, 2022, 11:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty bummed because skating on the weekend and before work was a huge boost for my mental health.
[close]
this is the biggest thing for me too, not being able to skate/ do physical activity really does my head in!
Will get second mri on my knee on the 10th of this month, have been doing lots of physio and went weeks without pain (was even contemplating cruising around the block) but suddenly yesterday it started to flare up again and make me feel like a crippple back at square one… hopefully it’s only a minor setback

Right there with you.  Hope it’s just a minor set back
G.

Been neglecting the workout program my athletic training buddy gave me(it’s probably considered physio for all I know). Hoping that speeds things up, but gonna make that call to my doc tomorrow though I dread it (even with insurance in the US, doesn’t mean I’ll be able to afford something serious).

Keep us updated @Gray Imp Sausage Metal
The chillest1

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #434 on: August 01, 2022, 06:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote
@sluggers

Recently I was riding down the sidewalk really pushing on my cruiser board and my wheels hit the edge of the grass which was edged so it was like a dirt curb. I stopped dead and flew onto my ribs and hip. Nothing broke but it was scary.

Falling ain’t the same anymore.

[close]

Ha, did the same last year cruising around the Town Center in Jax. Edge of sidewalk, dirt, grass, immediate slam, no chance to roll out. Felt like I had just taken my arm and bashed it against a wall. Wrist in pain for a month, but my Casio watch was still perfect. I walked through Nordstrom’s and asked a chick if her uncle was a doctor and if a bone was sticking out by my elbow because that is what it felt like, luckily, no.

Shouts out to my Jax slappers

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
I have encountered the worst injury I’ve had in years - a slightly ingrown and infected big toe. Worse than an ankle rolling, it’s completely debilitating and there’s nothing to do but soak it and wait for an appointment with a podiatrist.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2022, 01:57:40 PM »
It’s now two years of battling with jumper’s knee. Most of the time I was able to skate once a week (pain was never over a tolerable level). Recently got a prescription for a new physical therapy. Changed things massively. Huge improvement. Today I got a PRP shot. Still feels weird, but so far I’m positive that I might be skating without a brace at some point. Wish me luck

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
I have encountered the worst injury I’ve had in years - a slightly ingrown and infected big toe. Worse than an ankle rolling, it’s completely debilitating and there’s nothing to do but soak it and wait for an appointment with a podiatrist.
Fuck. Big toe pain is no joke.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »

Do yourself a favor and give up on those regular little silver toenail clippers and buy yourself a big, medical grade toenail clippers (the ones that look like scissors), and when you use them, always make sure the end of the clippers always pokes out past the nail when you snip.

Been there many a times.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had this for a couple of years in middle school, my big toes get ingrown like crazy and create little spirals in there. I don’t see how I even skated, being a kid I guess. It was right when we started soccer in PE so kicking a ball with ingrown nails is like torture. I would be able to skate for about 5 mins and my socks would be filled with blood. I had to bring socks and bandaids to every sesh and spent most of the time not skating, no wonder I fuckin sucked.
Anyway long story short it lasted about 3 years, and in 10th grade I got a barbaric fucking surgery on both toes. It was fucking gnarly. Basically it involved a bunch of anesthetic, an exacto knife and a pair of pliers and I believe liquid nitrogen to cauterize the nail beds. So much pain and it was moooonths before I could skate again.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2022, 09:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do yourself a favor and give up on those regular little silver toenail clippers and buy yourself a big, medical grade toenail clippers (the ones that look like scissors), and when you use them, always make sure the end of the clippers always pokes out past the nail when you snip.

Been there many a times.
This is the best advice. Those are the only kind of clippers worth using, no matter the cost. This is the best post I've seen on here.

therealnod

• Brevity is
« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2022, 09:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I had this for a couple of years in middle school, my big toes get ingrown like crazy and create little spirals in there. I don’t see how I even skated, being a kid I guess. It was right when we started soccer in PE so kicking a ball with ingrown nails is like torture. I would be able to skate for about 5 mins and my socks would be filled with blood. I had to bring socks and bandaids to every sesh and spent most of the time not skating, no wonder I fuckin sucked.
Anyway long story short it lasted about 3 years, and in 10th grade I got a barbaric fucking surgery on both toes. It was fucking gnarly. Basically it involved a bunch of anesthetic, an exacto knife and a pair of pliers and I believe liquid nitrogen to cauterize the nail beds. So much pain and it was moooonths before I could skate again.
Ladies and gentlemen, the American healthcare system.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #442 on: August 17, 2022, 11:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Ladies and gentlemen, the American healthcare system.

Not to mention I got the sides of my toenails ripped off on both toes 2-3 times before saying fuck it, cauterize the shit. I was like, we really don’t have a better way of doing this?!

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2022, 07:21:15 PM »
I ate shit skating a mini ramp today and think I broke something in one of my wrists. They both really hurt near that tiny weak shit by your pinky side but I can't even angle my right wrist in certain directions. Fucking hell, just as I was starting to really get back into skating. This always happens. I might just wait to make a doctor's appointment early tomorrow to get an x-ray requisition rather than wait hours at the hospital. Somehow I was skating far better shitfaced last night. Guess my body was loose enough to take the slams less awkwardly I don't know. Stupid old man trying to have fun always backfires.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2022, 07:23:47 AM »
Damnit. My jumpers knee was getting better. Had a couple of weeks, where I could skate two or three days a week without much pain. Skated yesterday, nothing different than usual. Only quite low impact stuff. No real bails.
Woke up today. Patella tendon feels so much worse. Totally bummed. Luckily enough, I have PT later today.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »
I have this weird pain in my left ankle (back foot).

It hurts sometimes when I crouch and sometimes before I pop an ollie or something else. The part where the ankle meets the foot. Maybe a photo would help to explain where it hurts, since my english isn't the best. The pain is like right in front of my ankle but only on the outside, not on the inside. I know pain from the ankle joint only from the inside, this is some other part and I don't know the name for it. Sorry in advance to annoy ya all with my creepy foot.

Anyone might know what it could be and if I should see a doctor? I drew a red square around the part where it hurts.

IG: @flowterspace

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »
That’s the ATFL ligament area.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2022, 06:56:23 PM »
I had heel spurs from bad shoes. Took me years to remove all pain but I switched to running shoes when not skating and that made all the difference.

pattacakenanny

• Rep: 0
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2022, 07:10:20 PM »
Damnit. My jumpers knee was getting better. Had a couple of weeks, where I could skate two or three days a week without much pain. Skated yesterday, nothing different than usual. Only quite low impact stuff. No real bails.
Woke up today. Patella tendon feels so much worse. Totally bummed. Luckily enough, I have PT later today.

which exercises is helping u the most for jumpers knee? this shit sucks
rob campbell never dapped u up and it shows

LebowskisRug

« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2022, 07:40:15 PM »
If you have jumpers knee I'd recommend the kneesovertoesguy series on rehabbing the knee on YouTube. He is a jumper (plays basketball and coaches pro ballers) and discusses both specific movements like step ups and also adjacent movements that improve hamstring strength which helps for deaccelration when you plant a foot to jump.