Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47122 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2022, 11:46:40 PM »
besides knees over toes guy excersises, i found that one-legged squats on a slanted board help too. everything that helps with strengthening your gluts and hamstrings work. And stretching.

but i might also be talking out of my ass, since it's two years since my first diagnosis

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2022, 03:30:53 AM »
I broke the big toe on my right foot in Lyon the weekend of the slappy contest and fucked up my hamstring on the same leg (I'm regular). So gutted as I really wanna skate today but even walking still sucks.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2022, 04:44:24 AM »
Torn meniscus in my left knee and it was "OK". I was slowly getting back in track.

I walked upstairs the other day and it hurt immensely. Maybe inflammation maybe it tore even further ...

40 years old... and even though skating is hard these days (hurts, not much time) it would break my heart to never ride again.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2022, 07:52:17 AM »
Rolled my ankle today just trying to do a flat ground tre and my toes just stayed pointing down and all my weight came down on my.  Felt a pop. Icing it now. I can move everything so I don’t think it’s broke. Hurts in front of ankle bone toward the top of foot in that groove. This is the 3rd time. This same thing happened with tres and my flip tricks suffer after. I’m so mad. The weather just started getting nice.

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2022, 07:59:01 AM »
I’ve had pain in the ball of my pushing foot for a couple of months now. Pretty sure it’s capsulitis. I can skate as it doesn't hurt that much at the time, but feels like I’m just prolonging the injury as it’s the next day I notice the pain more. Gonna have to take some time off.

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2022, 06:04:35 AM »
i got a bruise under one of my toenails in like april or march of this year and tonight a chunk of the toenail had come off

Diklap

• Rep: 0
« Reply #456 on: October 04, 2022, 07:05:52 AM »
Rolled my ankle today just trying to do a flat ground tre and my toes just stayed pointing down and all my weight came down on my.  Felt a pop. Icing it now. I can move everything so I don’t think it’s broke. Hurts in front of ankle bone toward the top of foot in that groove. This is the 3rd time. This same thing happened with tres and my flip tricks suffer after. I’m so mad. The weather just started getting nice.
it's why I retired tres, not worth the risk. For me it's an ankle destroyer

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »
Went to skate the other day after watching the new Polar vid. Felt really good on my board despite not consistently skating.. nothing gnarly, but I had all my basics down fine. I was trying a line and went to front side slappy a curb to end it. Hit a pebble going and ended up hitting my knee on the corner of the curb. It hurt so bad I was seeing stars. Hobbled home and it swelled up crazy, but now better with constant icing. Don't be lazy, sweep your spots y'all.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #458 on: October 05, 2022, 08:21:38 AM »
Looks like I'm out of the game now for a good while.  I either credit carded my left ass cheek trying nollie heels or just simply fell on it wrong 3 weeks ago.  Either way, it didn't hurt at the time but it started to ache about half an hour after the session.  By the next day my cheek had ballooned to twice its regular size.  The swelling had almost completely died down a week later but then it spontaneously ballooned up again while I was walking the dog.  Went to the doctor immediately after and she thinks it's an intramuscular hematoma that could take up to 3 months to heal.  3 weeks in now and there's still swelling, and putting on socks and shoes is a complete nightmare.  Has anyone else gone through anything similar?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #459 on: October 05, 2022, 08:51:07 AM »
Jarred/twisted my lower back running backwards after I overshot a fs noselide on a  ledge at the park. Did something similar like 4 days ago sticking on a 5050 on some diy ledge but that one fixed itself relatively quickly somehow. This feels a lot worse and I have trouble doing a lot of movements to function in daily life. Lower right back feels fucked and thinking I might have some kind of muscle imbalance going on around there in my hip/glutes/thigh.. I dunno but it sucks.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #460 on: October 05, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's why I retired tres, not worth the risk. For me it's an ankle destroyer

Yeah I think I’m done with it now. It’s not worth it.

djoekr

• Rep: 293
« Reply #461 on: October 06, 2022, 02:16:27 AM »
About a year ago I slipped out of a ledge and caught myself with stretched arms, the absolute worst way to fall. Popped my elbow out of it's socket and I haven't been able to totally stretch my arm since then. It was getting better from day-to-day but yesterday I got smoked on a curb and landed on my bad arm. Elbow feels so fucked now, like I'm back at square one when the first incident happened.

Got it scanned at the hospital a few months back, they said there was some cartillage that shouldn't be there in my elbow and they could operate it, although it wasn't necessary. I opted out of it back then as it was getting better and better, but after yesterday I'm definitely gonna have to cut it open. Currently walking around looking like I'm doing my best Napoleon-impression and I'm getting really tired of not being able to fully use my left arm.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
Anyone have any stretches that'll help with sciatica?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
Bikram yoga!!!!!! And acupuncture or dry needling

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #464 on: October 25, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
Just got a cortisone shot in my right knee. Haven’t been skating for too long, but I love it. Starting to wonder if it was a bad idea to pick this up at 36 lol

Anyway, my knee can hurt just from pushing. Luckily I learned how to skate switch early on and I’m thinking about just changing my stance. I figure it’s possible since I’m so new. My right knee is low on cartilage (which ain’t coming back).

deathturd

• Rep: 88
« Reply #465 on: October 25, 2022, 09:48:51 PM »
Anyone ever dealt with a Lisfranc fracture?

I folded my foot and did the Lisfranc as well as breaking my third metatarsal and tearing ligaments above my pinky toe.

Currently, I have a big ass screw in there and a plate. The screw will come out soon but the plate will stay.

I'm just concerned about the process of getting back to skating and curious if anyone has gone through this..

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #466 on: December 10, 2022, 04:19:01 AM »
Looks like I'm out of the game now for a good while.  I either credit carded my left ass cheek trying nollie heels or just simply fell on it wrong 3 weeks ago.  Either way, it didn't hurt at the time but it started to ache about half an hour after the session.  By the next day my cheek had ballooned to twice its regular size.  The swelling had almost completely died down a week later but then it spontaneously ballooned up again while I was walking the dog.  Went to the doctor immediately after and she thinks it's an intramuscular hematoma that could take up to 3 months to heal.  3 weeks in now and there's still swelling, and putting on socks and shoes is a complete nightmare.  Has anyone else gone through anything similar?

So, nearly three months later I just had surgery for this on wednesday.  Turns out I damaged a blood vessel under the muscles in my arse cheek that would not heal.  6 inch incision, scoop out a big hematoma, cauterise the blood vessel and stitch it all up again.   Once I've healed that'll be about 5 months off, all from either credit carding my arse cheek or falling on it in a weird way.  I guess that's one way to skip the winter.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2022, 06:58:27 AM »
I have a sharp pain on my right ankle. I feel sometimes walking down and up steps but especially on tricks like backside tail slides. How hard is it to get your ankle scoped?

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2022, 07:09:36 AM »
Anyone ever dealt with a Lisfranc fracture?

I folded my foot and did the Lisfranc as well as breaking my third metatarsal and tearing ligaments above my pinky toe.

Currently, I have a big ass screw in there and a plate. The screw will come out soon but the plate will stay.

I'm just concerned about the process of getting back to skating and curious if anyone has gone through this..

Yes, I had surgery on it about 4 years ago on my popping foot. It’s gonna be a long process, do your physical therapy to build your leg muscles back up and I would wait at least 6 months before you start doing any tricks because you will feel the pain with how much pressure you put on your feet. I felt good after 10 months to skate on a normal basis. Also if they give you bands to stretch your ankle, use them and gradually work your way to the higher resistance bands.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #469 on: December 13, 2022, 12:23:27 AM »
Torn meniscus in my left knee and it was "OK". I was slowly getting back in track.

I walked upstairs the other day and it hurt immensely. Maybe inflammation maybe it tore even further ...

40 years old... and even though skating is hard these days (hurts, not much time) it would break my heart to never ride again.

that's pretty much my exact situation rn. Well except I'm 8 years older. And for me it's walking down stairs that sucks.
I was riding twice a week these last months and slowly getting my tricks back....But the last 3 or 4 sessions, the pattern was: skate 2 hours, have knee pain afterwards for 3 days, sometimes to the point of limping.
I've been resting for 3 weeks now, as the doc said "well you've had 4 surgeries already, and at your age trying surgery again  does not garantee results". so I think I'm gonna give up street skating completely, as transition seems to be mellower on the knees. But I'm with you man, giving up skating completely is hard to imagine.  :-\ :-\

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2022, 08:41:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also get a front pocket wallet.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #471 on: December 13, 2022, 08:49:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Also get a front pocket wallet.

I've been rocking this wallet for a few years and its been working out. It's great if you mostly carry cards.

https://ekster.com/products/aluminum-cardholder

People gotta move on from the fat dad wallets full of unnecessary stuff. With all seriousness though, the big wallet in the back pocket will cause lower back issues over time.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2022, 09:21:38 AM »
bout to get this 4th surgery once my multiple infections clear up  8)

my current progression plan is

walk -> bike -> jump rope -> skate but obv it’ll take a sec to get walking once they install my new cadaver parts.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #473 on: January 04, 2023, 07:56:43 AM »
I have a bruised rib, or something like that. I’ve been ignoring it and pretty much dealing with minor pain up until today when i woke up and couldn’t even put my arms over my head without a sharp pain. I’m pretty dependent on physical exercise every morning for my mental well being, so while I don’t think i can jump rope for a minute i want to continue doing some kind of cardio. I feel like an exercise bike would be a good alternative, but I’m wondering if other people have experience with a bruised rib have exercises that won’t aggravate it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #474 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:46 AM »
I have a bruised rib, or something like that. I’ve been ignoring it and pretty much dealing with minor pain up until today when i woke up and couldn’t even put my arms over my head without a sharp pain. I’m pretty dependent on physical exercise every morning for my mental well being, so while I don’t think i can jump rope for a minute i want to continue doing some kind of cardio. I feel like an exercise bike would be a good alternative, but I’m wondering if other people have experience with a bruised rib have exercises that won’t aggravate it.

Since when do you have it, what caused it? I had a bruised rib and could continue skating but on the next day was in great pain.

If it's a bruised rib, you can do anything that doesn't involve your upper body. Pedalling, walking, maybe light jogging, also rolling around on a skateboard doing flatground mannies, as long as it doesn't hurt you're good. Takes a few weeks to go away completely but after two weeks you should be good for skating and perhaps three to four weeks for pushups, sit-ups and stuff like that. If it does not go away but becomes worse, see a doctor.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #475 on: January 04, 2023, 09:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Since when do you have it, what caused it? I had a bruised rib and could continue skating but on the next day was in great pain.

If it's a bruised rib, you can do anything that doesn't involve your upper body. Pedalling, walking, maybe light jogging, also rolling around on a skateboard doing flatground mannies, as long as it doesn't hurt you're good. Takes a few weeks to go away completely but after two weeks you should be good for skating and perhaps three to four weeks for pushups, sit-ups and stuff like that. If it does not go away but becomes worse, see a doctor.

I started feeling pain one morning, seemingly randomly. I think i rolled over my alarm clock while i was sleeping. It didn’t hurt that bad, so i just kept up my normal routine. I went snowboarding one day and it felt miraculously better afterwards. Maybe it was just a pulled muscle, idk.  Then 2 days later, took a pretty jarring slam snowboarding and the pain started up again. I stupidly went again on Monday and that made it worst. It’s pretty weird, so I’m just gonna chill this week. It’s already better than earlier today, so hopefully I’ll be good in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the advice, I’m gonna start with an exercise bike soon and see how I’m feeling afterwards

steezenking

• Rep: 13
« Reply #476 on: January 04, 2023, 09:51:25 AM »
Did a lazy, bad formed squat 2 weeks ago, felt the slightest of discomfort/pain. Knee has been a bit sore since.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2023, 05:55:45 AM »
So far in 2023 I've skated twice and I'm 2 for 2 on getting hurt.

A couple weeks ago I got a real bad sharkbite on my achilles almost immediately as I was warming up. I tried shrugging it off but before long my entire sock was bloody and I realized that it had actually cut me pretty deep. Had to get stitches and it's still uncomfortable to wear a lot of my shoes.

Then this past Saturday I reluctantly went to an indoor park fresh off the stitches with new shoes and board having a pretty rough warm up. I start testing the waters with a no-comply tail on a bank and as I go to turn my board completely slips out and my front knee totally buckles resulting in another session ender no more than 10 minutes in. Certain movements still really hurt and there's a spot above my knee cap that just lightly tapping feels about equivalent to banging your funny bone. Pretty bummed.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2023, 07:37:03 AM »
Hoping your knee is OK dude and nothing long term

Do you guys think it is possible to enjoy skating without seriously injuring yourself?

I know the risk is always there. I feel like the more you push yourself, the more likely you are to get hurt. I have mostly just ruined my ankles, but I feel like the rest of my body is in pretty good shape. The only other thing I am kind of concerned about is I have a major callous on one of my toes that I feel like could develop into something brutal when I am older. (36 right now) its mostly because I skated with fucked up shoes so to all you young guys out there make sure you always wear good shoes. dont skate them unitl your sock is showing.

I think flip tricks are actually quite hard on your knees and on your body in general. I think you have to be in pretty good shape to do them well. So I have tried to actually do less of them without giving them up completely. I do make sure I do a few different ones each session once I am really warmed up / towards the end and my go-to's I can still usually get quickly. Its kind of a bummer and it feels really hard to learn new ones / work on the more difficult ones at this point, but I think it has positives.

I focus on other aspects of skating like doing grinds and there is so much that I never learned. Also spending a lot of time doing mini ramp / small transitions because I am pretty bad at that too but know a few good spots to improve my confidence and learn new grinds on. Having a lot more fun just riding it places and not being so concerend with doing tricks but moreso just being able to put trucks onto the spot still.  maybe just grind farther / go faster on a more simple grind instead of pulling my hair out trying to get something more difficult.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #479 on: February 03, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »
Getting my inner meniscus smoothed on monday – i had a undiagnosed bucket handle tear for more than 20 years. Doctor says it'll only be six to ten weeks of recovery time. I hope he's right and i hope this fixes my knee pain (jumper's knee) i have for 2,5 years now. The bucket tear might be the main reason, why my jumper won't properly heal.
Wish me luck