Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47592 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #510 on: March 13, 2023, 07:44:27 AM »
Expand Quote
how long should you take off skating for a pulled groin muscle?
[close]

Depends how badly it was pulled, but probably 2-3 weeks and you should probably do some (light) adductor/groin strengthening exercises in the interim so the muscle fibers grow back normally without a bunch of scar tissue.

Source: Me with a pretty bad groin strain that made it worse by just taking time off and not rehabbing correctly.

took about 2 weeks off and slowly got back into things, feeling good now! Thanks!

Was ignorning this really gnarly Corn / Bunion in my toe 2nd from the pinky for 10+ years now. it never really bothered me much but it feels like its starting to get a bit worse. going to a foot specialst to get it checked out on the 22nd. Have heard it could take 3 months to recover if they have to cut it off :(

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #511 on: March 13, 2023, 10:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone truly recovered from tendonitis? I have post tib tendonitis in my ankle and it has been a nightmare for the past year. I can sometimes go 1-2 months with no flare up then out of no where it will come back to haunt me and put me off my board for 1-2 weeks. Im already doing PT 3 times a week, foam rolling, NB1010 (one of the most supportive skate shoes) and experiment on and off with an ankle brace. Just doesnt seem like I make any progress with this. Has anyone successfully cured their tendonitis and most importantly what did you do?
[close]

Where, specifically, are having it? I had bad Achilles tendinitis in my pushing foot, and I recovered from it after a long haul. Can give you details if same place.

So inner ankle, right below the ankle bone, kinda like if you were to draw an L with the ankle bone being right in the middle of the L, what did you do to cure your Achilles Tendinities? I switched to barefoot walking and its improved my situation by a good bit

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2023, 05:46:45 AM »
Saturday will be 1 month of bruised/cracked rib from falling snowboarding. Wouldn't be skating anyway but I always say my "skateboarding" season starts on april 17th(my birthday) as thats roughly when the weather starts being regularly acceptable. Sucks not being able to work out though, every day has been leg day for past 3 weeks.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2023, 10:07:37 AM »
Saturday will be 1 month of bruised/cracked rib from falling snowboarding. Wouldn't be skating anyway but I always say my "skateboarding" season starts on april 17th(my birthday) as thats roughly when the weather starts being regularly acceptable. Sucks not being able to work out though, every day has been leg day for past 3 weeks.
Bro broken ribs fucking suck, I had one but my doctor told me I could skate after like a week or something.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #514 on: March 14, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone truly recovered from tendonitis? I have post tib tendonitis in my ankle and it has been a nightmare for the past year. I can sometimes go 1-2 months with no flare up then out of no where it will come back to haunt me and put me off my board for 1-2 weeks. Im already doing PT 3 times a week, foam rolling, NB1010 (one of the most supportive skate shoes) and experiment on and off with an ankle brace. Just doesnt seem like I make any progress with this. Has anyone successfully cured their tendonitis and most importantly what did you do?
[close]

Where, specifically, are having it? I had bad Achilles tendinitis in my pushing foot, and I recovered from it after a long haul. Can give you details if same place.
[close]

So inner ankle, right below the ankle bone, kinda like if you were to draw an L with the ankle bone being right in the middle of the L, what did you do to cure your Achilles Tendinities? I switched to barefoot walking and its improved my situation by a good bit

Ugh, that one I can't help with. I did a lot of PT, and some very specific stretches every spare moment I had, stayed off the board for awhile, started skating transition more (it was in my pushing foot...which sucked). Ice immdiately after skating. Etc.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2023, 03:57:54 PM »
Has anyone here had costochondritis (inflamed chest cartilage)? It’s super hard to book an appointment with a physical therapist with my health insurance (fuck you kaiser) and i’d like to get started on some physical therapy. Any good sources for stretches i can do that are hard to fuck up, or some reputable YouTube videos?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2023, 09:25:13 AM »
got the corn removed today. it wasnt bad at all. definintely recommend getting that treated right away if you ever notice a hard spot on your toes. it doesnt hurt but you can start developing bone growth which i have a tiny bit and now i need to get an xray to get it checked out to make sure its not still growing (would mean cancer  :-X but the foot doctor said way more likely that its from bashing my foot against the wall of my shoe over and over again for decades)

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #517 on: April 05, 2023, 07:12:12 AM »
dislocated my elbow yesterday. anyone else done this? how was recovery?

was the most pain, i think ive been in. luckily im visiting the |UK and got it xrayed and reset for free. also got to try fentanyl for the first time before they reset it.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
dislocated my elbow yesterday. anyone else done this? how was recovery?

was the most pain, i think ive been in. luckily im visiting the |UK and got it xrayed and reset for free. also got to try fentanyl for the first time before they reset it.

ex-gf of mine dislocated hers snowboarding, it chipped the end of the bone and she wound up needing surgery. She lost full extension of her elbow due to scar tissue.

If the X-rays came back OK and no one mentioned floaty bone fragments, you're probably going to dodge any further work, so it'll just be physio and rehab.

I've dislocated my shoulder a bunch of times, so I feel you, the pain is something else.

On my end, rolled my ankle for the first time in almost a year and about 230+ days of skating... fairly annoyed as it was on a heelflip, and i do those all the time. Rolled my front foot right over the nose, caught napping I guess. Probably only a grade 1 sprain, but think it'll take me out of anything other than cruising around for a couple weeks. Walking on it OK after 2 days which is a good sign, back to spelling out ABCs, ice packs, and my balance board i think.

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2023, 10:47:00 AM »
I took a freak-accident type slam on my left asscheek a couple of months ago on an unexpectedly slippery quarterpipe.

Basically, there was condensation on the ramp surface that caused me to slide out mid-kickturn into a powerslide straight onto the cheek. I usually have a fairly high pain tolerance, but that shit hurt!

My hips and back felt a little "off" for a couple of weeks after and there's still some swelling at the point of contact, but I can still skate without much issue. That being said, if I sit with too much weight on my left hip, there's a stabbing/pinching sensation right in the middle of the left glute that hurts like crazy. I took a slam on a front tail the other week and grazed the same spot, and the pain was nearly as intense as the initial slam.

My best guess is I maybe caused some soft tissue damage on the initial slam that hasn't been able to heal properly. Still not resigning myself to hip pads just yet.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »
Just broke a bone in my foot, been sitting in the emergency room for four hours now.
Kinda cranky right now only because a nurse came in and told me that I look fine and don't need help because I'm chilling and not breaking down crying on the floor, kinda annoyed.  >:(

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #521 on: April 07, 2023, 06:28:34 AM »
So far in 2023 I've skated twice and I'm 2 for 2 on getting hurt.

A couple weeks ago I got a real bad sharkbite on my achilles almost immediately as I was warming up. I tried shrugging it off but before long my entire sock was bloody and I realized that it had actually cut me pretty deep. Had to get stitches and it's still uncomfortable to wear a lot of my shoes.

Then this past Saturday I reluctantly went to an indoor park fresh off the stitches with new shoes and board having a pretty rough warm up. I start testing the waters with a no-comply tail on a bank and as I go to turn my board completely slips out and my front knee totally buckles resulting in another session ender no more than 10 minutes in. Certain movements still really hurt and there's a spot above my knee cap that just lightly tapping feels about equivalent to banging your funny bone. Pretty bummed.

Finally got the latter problem checked on. Doctor thinks I have a torn meniscus, but I'm waiting to get an MRI to confirm for sure. He seems to think it's a minor tear that probably won't require surgery, which is good, but it still has me in a state of limbo as to what I should actually do. Also apparently my knees in general are misaligned which makes me prone to problems? That was a weird one to hear.

Any of y'all got any experience with this? I'm taking some initiative in a few ways already. Just ordered some some nicer knee sleeves, been looking up knee strengthening exercises, working on weight loss and just trying to be more health conscious in general. Kinda hoping that's all there is to it, cuz the only other stories I hear are apparently much worse than mine is, which has me feeling both relieved and a bit aimless.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #522 on: April 07, 2023, 07:07:22 AM »
Dropped a jar on my big toe from about 2' up. Gonna be OOC on this embarrassing injury for a few.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #523 on: April 07, 2023, 07:16:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Im still dealing with that lingering pain in that same inner spot of my ankle too. I follow this guy and he posts some really good skate specific strength training exercises most of which you can do from home.

I strongly recommend getting resistance bands and doing the Anterior Band Flicks that he shows in this clip and it should help!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoK8jLZhyGB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #524 on: April 07, 2023, 09:11:54 AM »
Dropped a jar on my big toe from about 2' up. Gonna be OOC on this embarrassing injury for a few.

bro fucking let that shit heal, chronic big toe issues are the bain of my existence

cky enthusiast

« Reply #525 on: April 07, 2023, 09:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
So far in 2023 I've skated twice and I'm 2 for 2 on getting hurt.

A couple weeks ago I got a real bad sharkbite on my achilles almost immediately as I was warming up. I tried shrugging it off but before long my entire sock was bloody and I realized that it had actually cut me pretty deep. Had to get stitches and it's still uncomfortable to wear a lot of my shoes.

Then this past Saturday I reluctantly went to an indoor park fresh off the stitches with new shoes and board having a pretty rough warm up. I start testing the waters with a no-comply tail on a bank and as I go to turn my board completely slips out and my front knee totally buckles resulting in another session ender no more than 10 minutes in. Certain movements still really hurt and there's a spot above my knee cap that just lightly tapping feels about equivalent to banging your funny bone. Pretty bummed.
[close]

Finally got the latter problem checked on. Doctor thinks I have a torn meniscus, but I'm waiting to get an MRI to confirm for sure. He seems to think it's a minor tear that probably won't require surgery, which is good, but it still has me in a state of limbo as to what I should actually do. Also apparently my knees in general are misaligned which makes me prone to problems? That was a weird one to hear.

Any of y'all got any experience with this? I'm taking some initiative in a few ways already. Just ordered some some nicer knee sleeves, been looking up knee strengthening exercises, working on weight loss and just trying to be more health conscious in general. Kinda hoping that's all there is to it, cuz the only other stories I hear are apparently much worse than mine is, which has me feeling both relieved and a bit aimless.

take care of your knees. do yoga, stretching etc. they're a real motherfucker to rehab if you fuck them up.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #526 on: April 07, 2023, 12:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bro fucking let that shit heal, chronic big toe issues are the bain of my existence

Yeah, I'm taking it easy. I know people who have had these sorts of problems with their big toe where they essentially never heal. Thankfully, this one doesn't seem too bad, despite initially feeling as if someone hammered my toenail.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #527 on: April 07, 2023, 02:49:20 PM »
Doing sports PT right now to recoup from a tibial plateau fracture (hopefully back to skating mellow in about a month)... got a plate right under the knee and 8 pins. I was trying to get back into hopping down stairs after getting a cage installed in my back a little over a year ago... I'm legit becoming Wolverine with none of the upsides.

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2023, 11:04:10 AM »
Hey there, people!
Today I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee, coming from a ACL operation about two years ago. My knee feels like shit after skating, swells and I can hardly walk up stairs. Jogging or anything also is hardly possible when not being warmed up.

I was advised to dry PRP injections. As I can see a minority of people here have gotten PRP injections more or less successfully. May somebody here please give me some details. Was it worth it? Are you still having problems with your knee/athritis?

Its about 600 bucks, which I wouldn't like to spend on a possible scam. But I just want to have a reliable knee again..

Thanks a lot for any help in this matter!  :-*

OhioGuy

• Rep: 60
« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2023, 12:30:56 PM »
Hey there, people!
Today I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee, coming from a ACL operation about two years ago. My knee feels like shit after skating, swells and I can hardly walk up stairs. Jogging or anything also is hardly possible when not being warmed up.

I was advised to dry PRP injections. As I can see a minority of people here have gotten PRP injections more or less successfully. May somebody here please give me some details. Was it worth it? Are you still having problems with your knee/athritis?

Its about 600 bucks, which I wouldn't like to spend on a possible scam. But I just want to have a reliable knee again..

Thanks a lot for any help in this matter!  :-*
I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. Cortisone injection didn’t do much for me. The best thing for it is building the muscles around it and losing weight if you’re carrying any extra pounds. Also to accept that you need to change the way you skate/scale it back a little. A day of shredding isn’t worth not being able to walk right the following day!

Oh and make sure you’re using cupsole shoes. It also matters the surface you’re skating on. I noticed that street stuff like parking lots leave me in more pain than a tennis courts. So now I exclusively skate on them.

Mansymbols

• Rep: 1
« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:31 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knew about getting metal plates removed.

In January I managed to break my left ankle in both bones, it was insane.
Bed on the floor, crutches and sleepless nights for what felt like forever.

When I could start walking again the swelling was massive and I had lost loads of muscle, so been working on getting the flexibility and strength back and luckily feel alot closer to normal now.

Did a ton of resistance band stretching and abc's
Skating is a little tricky, but it's actually not as bad as I was expecting.
I've landed a few things out of sheer stubbornness.
But I can feel the two metal plates throbbing somewhat.
I was reading about plates and screws causing issues later in life, specifically with ankles.
Something about the bone becomes too dependent on them.

So perhaps would be better to have them removed sooner rather than later, but surely would be out of action again for ages.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2023, 07:52:22 AM »

When I could start walking again the swelling was massive and I had lost loads of muscle, so been working on getting the flexibility and strength back and luckily feel alot closer to normal now.

I was reading about plates and screws causing issues later in life, specifically with ankles.

So perhaps would be better to have them removed sooner rather than later, but surely would be out of action again for ages.

So I have a plate and 6 screws in my back pushing leg ankle from an ankle break back in 2021. I would say I have 80-90% range of motion of a normal ankle and sometimes I wonder if I would have 100% if I got the hardware taken out. Most docs have told me they dont recommend it because the trade off isnt there as far as going through surgery again to get it remove and exposing your body to infection in hopes that getting the hardware out will make a difference. I will say if you listen to John Dilo 9 club he got his taken out and he said it was a night and day difference. I think its really case by case. Bones heal back stronger when they break so I dont think the whole  dependent on them thing is true. Either way remember to take it easy with skating for the next couple of months....seriously. I was stupid and set my self back numerous times

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #532 on: May 04, 2023, 12:19:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So I have a plate and 6 screws in my back pushing leg ankle from an ankle break back in 2021. I would say I have 80-90% range of motion of a normal ankle and sometimes I wonder if I would have 100% if I got the hardware taken out. Most docs have told me they dont recommend it because the trade off isnt there as far as going through surgery again to get it remove and exposing your body to infection in hopes that getting the hardware out will make a difference. I will say if you listen to John Dilo 9 club he got his taken out and he said it was a night and day difference. I think its really case by case. Bones heal back stronger when they break so I dont think the whole  dependent on them thing is true. Either way remember to take it easy with skating for the next couple of months....seriously. I was stupid and set my self back numerous times

Surprising. I had a plate in my ankle too and the surgeon recommended taking it out after a year, he said it was better long-term. Taking it out was no big deal, no rehab or nothing. Just gotta wait 2 weeks for the stitches to heal. Good luck with your ankles everyone! Breaking mine with a compound fracture almost ended my skating completely. I'm still riding but nothing like before, my confidence took a real big hit.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #533 on: May 06, 2023, 09:20:59 PM »
My dumb ass fell down a flight of steps last night and now my ankle is the size of my fist.

Lovely start to the weekend

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #534 on: May 06, 2023, 10:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Surprising. I had a plate in my ankle too and the surgeon recommended taking it out after a year, he said it was better long-term. Taking it out was no big deal, no rehab or nothing. Just gotta wait 2 weeks for the stitches to heal. Good luck with your ankles everyone! Breaking mine with a compound fracture almost ended my skating completely. I'm still riding but nothing like before, my confidence took a real big hit.

I broke my front fibula at 17 and again at 27. I had my plate taken out the first time but not the second. Dr. Said that at 27 on the bone could potentially be too weak to be supported w/o the plate. I also have a pin somewhere holding it all together. I can’t say whether I regret not getting the plate out but the leg with the plate is definitely more sensitive when hit with the board.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #535 on: May 07, 2023, 05:46:21 AM »
I always take my back 5-0s to fakie. Yesterday tried to keep my body straight but my shoulder still turned. Landed it :) but now my shoulder is randomly give sharp pains lifting it. Think I pulled a muscle. The worst cause it’s beautiful out and my partner and I are street skating. I guess I’m on filmer duty today. I did the drop test so I don’t think it’s a rotator cuff tear and it doesn’t hurt every time but it almost feels worse to hurt not from a slam

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #536 on: May 07, 2023, 09:08:16 AM »
I hate this thread. Heal up and be healthy pals.

My elbow has increasing mobility by the day. I've taken off the brace andI am wearing a compression sleeve instead. Managed 25 miles on the bike yesterday and I felt it immediately after. Woke up feeling fine though. I see a sports PT Doc tomorrow to see how far I can push things with strengthening. Been cruising around the neighborhood, ollieing man holes and a few soft wheel slappies, but no actual risk-taking skateboarding yet...

Mansymbols

• Rep: 1
« Reply #537 on: May 09, 2023, 03:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I broke my front fibula at 17 and again at 27. I had my plate taken out the first time but not the second. Dr. Said that at 27 on the bone could potentially be too weak to be supported w/o the plate. I also have a pin somewhere holding it all together. I can’t say whether I regret not getting the plate out but the leg with the plate is definitely more sensitive when hit with the board.

Damn that's all pretty interesting, thanks

I wasn't even aware it was an option to remove them till recently. Could be to do with different countries health care systems.

A compound fracture sounds beyond gnarly, I still have flashbacks about how surreal the actual break was.

It's really tempting to go skating loads but I have tried to limit how much I'm skating so as not to set myself back again.

Alot of the wear and tear I'm feeling is from work to be honest. The first job I did after I was on my feet again would cause my ankle to throb each night like crazy. The plates specifically felt like weird hot batteries or something on my bone.

Cycling seems to be a good low impact way of building the leg back up

Stay safe y'all

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #538 on: June 08, 2023, 05:55:43 PM »

Freak slam on flat today earnt me this hole in my chin, just got back from a few hours in A&E/ER waiting to have it glued up and a tetanus shot.

Ever have those slams where you go to put a foot to the floor and it somehow inexplicably finds the board again? This was one of those.

Ooof. That's a tough one homie. I'd be worried about clinkin' my rows of teeth together and if your mouth is at all open during it, your jaw could break.

Good news is you can change your name to BloodySkatebeard now.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #539 on: June 08, 2023, 09:48:07 PM »
Yeah man my teeth were my first concern, all good though luckily.

It def could have been worse!