Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47251 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2022, 11:38:06 PM »
Had my knee MRI results back yesterday... good news is that I don't have a torn meniscus, and the ligaments are all in great shape, no degeneration anywhere. Was actually told my knees are in fantastic shape considering i've been playing skateboard and snowboard for 20 years.

Bad news is that I have grade I chondromalacia, otherwise known as runners/jumpers knee...exacerbated by flat feet causing misalignment and my kneecap to grind against the cartilage behind it and my thigh bone.

My osteopath suggests a patella strap/brace, so i'll grab one...and said I need to be better disciplined about icing it when it flares up. Been told I can also tape my kneecap over to the opposite side, but that's a bit of a faff.

It actually had settled quite well over the past 4 weeks, then the day before my MRI i pivoted and twisted my body around with my foot still planted on the carpet at home and that has set it off again.

Anyone else suffer from runner's knee and have any tips? exercise and strengthening won't do a great deal apparently, as its more to do with mechanical alignment.

I have something similar: patella fasciitis. My patella tendon also had a slight tear nearly two years ago. But the underlying problems are similar to yours: flat feet – plus unstable ankle. Still battling with it. I found that strength exercises help little, but stretching is really good. Favorite stretch is lying on my back against a door frame. put your leg with your problematic leg straight up (ass against the frame) and the other leg straight through the door. hold your leg in that 90 degree position for more than two minutes. you can also use a tera-band (or just a belt) to bend down your uplifted foot.

speedy recovery!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 05:20:55 AM by yghartsyrt »

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2022, 02:36:53 AM »
Hello Pals, need some advice on a rolled ankle. I'll start by saying I'm 26 and haven't really had a bad rolled ankle in a good 4 or 5 years, and last time around it was just a case of icing it, staying off it for a week or two and it was fine. Rolled my left ankle on the 31st May, swelled up and bruised etc. Got home and iced it, couldn't really walk on it the next day. Gave it a couple days, walking became fine, swelling went down and after about a week or so the bruising was pretty much gone. Went for a skate on Saturday and couldn't do a fucking thing, I'm goofy so it's my popping foot and it just felt super weak/no strength etc. Side to side movements feel fine, it's more so leaning forward on it that causes pain, almost feels like something kinda needs to pop I guess. I did watch one video on rehab where the guy stated find a wall/flat surface etc and lean forward on the injured side until the knee touches the surface without lifting the heel up, even with my foot flat to the wall it was somewhat painful.

Any advice/recommended exercises for getting it back up to full strength? Having to rehab/physio an injury is kind of uncharted territory for me and there's a metric shit ton of advice out there so I figured I'd ask here and try and get a more consolidated amount of advice. Been doing sets of calf raises, the spell the alphabet shit and a bunch of cycling too, but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2022, 03:47:46 AM »
Hello Pals, need some advice on a rolled ankle. I'll start by saying I'm 26 and haven't really had a bad rolled ankle in a good 4 or 5 years, and last time around it was just a case of icing it, staying off it for a week or two and it was fine. Rolled my left ankle on the 31st May, swelled up and bruised etc. Got home and iced it, couldn't really walk on it the next day. Gave it a couple days, walking became fine, swelling went down and after about a week or so the bruising was pretty much gone. Went for a skate on Saturday and couldn't do a fucking thing, I'm goofy so it's my popping foot and it just felt super weak/no strength etc. Side to side movements feel fine, it's more so leaning forward on it that causes pain, almost feels like something kinda needs to pop I guess. I did watch one video on rehab where the guy stated find a wall/flat surface etc and lean forward on the injured side until the knee touches the surface without lifting the heel up, even with my foot flat to the wall it was somewhat painful.

Any advice/recommended exercises for getting it back up to full strength? Having to rehab/physio an injury is kind of uncharted territory for me and there's a metric shit ton of advice out there so I figured I'd ask here and try and get a more consolidated amount of advice. Been doing sets of calf raises, the spell the alphabet shit and a bunch of cycling too, but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.
If it was so bad that you couldn’t walk it off or walk the next day means ligaments were probably torn. You shouldn’t skate for 2/3 months I’m sorry. Keep doing the rehab exercises but if you can see a physical therapist or a acupuncturist. It takes time when you roll it that bad.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2022, 04:55:21 AM »
^^ same thing happened to me like 2 years ago.

No skating for 3 months and when I came back it was mainly nollie switch for another 2 months.
Shout out chewy cannon.

Haven’t tried a nosegrind since cos I’m scarred.
Nosemannys are virtually gone too.

Ultrasound therapy worked wonders to me I would have been even more lost without that.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2022, 05:22:59 AM »
Get hold of a Bosu balance ball, helped me rehab my last rolled ankle pretty good - it was a grade 1 but still took a good 3-4 months to get fully back to strength and pain free skating.

Daily rehab, walking and drink plenty of fluids. Youtube some ankle roll rehab exercises, there's a ton of good ones out there...set yourself up a routine and try to stick with it.

if you can hack it then a bit of rolling around or doing manuals will probably help recovery, but try to be disciplined enough not to take it too far too soon, your ankle will let you know when it's ready to play.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2022, 06:13:20 AM »
Hurt my knee at the gym last week (of all places), no popping/ clicking/ locking and I pretty much have full range of motion, ‘twas super tender though and isn’t nearly anywhere near feeling anywhere like I could skate. MRI day after tomorrow, hope it’s just inflamed/ old man shit. Cherish each season like it’s your last boys/ gals!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2022, 03:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If it was so bad that you couldn’t walk it off or walk the next day means ligaments were probably torn. You shouldn’t skate for 2/3 months I’m sorry. Keep doing the rehab exercises but if you can see a physical therapist or a acupuncturist. It takes time when you roll it that bad.

If you have insurance go to PT. There are certainly plenty of PT exercises you can look up on youtube and do at home but it really isn't the same as going to a professional. It's a game changer (of course if it isn't going to bankrupt you though). There's stuff they'll do that you just can't do on your own at home. Depending on your insurance though you may have to go to a doctor first and have them prescribe you PT. I snapped mine in half in February and had to get surgery and PT is a game changer. I got out and skated last week a bit but I still have a couple more months of PT to go. You won't regret it.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

If you have insurance go to PT. There are certainly plenty of PT exercises you can look up on youtube and do at home but it really isn't the same as going to a professional. It's a game changer (of course if it isn't going to bankrupt you though). There's stuff they'll do that you just can't do on your own at home. Depending on your insurance though you may have to go to a doctor first and have them prescribe you PT. I snapped mine in half in February and had to get surgery and PT is a game changer. I got out and skated last week a bit but I still have a couple more months of PT to go. You won't regret it.

I finally got decent health insurance just in time when I got hurt. Fucked my SI muscle group up real bad last year. I needed a wheelchair and walker for two months. PT actually diagnosed my problem area that x-rays and ct scans didn't pick up through a series of assisted stretches/movements. Once I got health insurance and started going to physical therapy, I was back on my feet after a few weeks of exercises and massages (the massages were not pleasant lol, they literally were beating my ass). PT saved my ass and I am so thankful to that clinic.

My personal problem was the actual diagnosis. If anyone on here knows EXACTLY what muscle or ligaments or tendons are injured. The internet can provide you with exercises to rehab that problem area, but you need to be sure on what the actual problem is.

I wish all of you with injuries a speedy, healthy recovery.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2022, 05:22:16 PM »
Ask your doctor for an mri. That’ll show what’s messed up.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2022, 02:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I recommend one of those resistance bands for when your ankle starts feeling better. I thought it was helpful the last time I rolled my ankle really badly. All the other advice is great, too.

And it’s not really an injury, more of a flesh wound, but I got the dreaded shark bite right over my Achilles’ tendon today. I think I have a memory of a clip where BA caught razor tail really badly and needed a bunch of stitches, so I’m just glad I got off easy.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2022, 05:03:53 PM »
Hurt my knee at the gym last week (of all places), no popping/ clicking/ locking and I pretty much have full range of motion, ‘twas super tender though and isn’t nearly anywhere near feeling anywhere like I could skate. MRI day after tomorrow, hope it’s just inflamed/ old man shit. Cherish each season like it’s your last boys/ gals!
update: no actual tear in MRI, just degenerative shit (expected for my age), do have a bone bruise though which is kinda worse than it sounds... gonna lay low for a minute!

Skatebeard

« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2022, 07:47:05 AM »
Rolled my ankle today, first time in just over a year... not a bad run after 200+ days of flatground.

Managed to do it on the most ironic of tricks as well- a hospital flip.

No horrendous noises so hopefully only a grade 1, but my ankles are a bit of a special case so could be dealing with this for a good few weeks.

Manuals only for a while if it's like my last one.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Well fuck me, now I rolled my ankle, too.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2022, 02:20:36 PM »
I’m gonna have to not look at this thread because my ankles are scared.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »
I’m gonna have to not look at this thread because my ankles are scared.

Yes! Run! Save yourself!

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2022, 03:25:01 PM »
Fuck this thread I rolled my ankle on a fakie flip today, the one where your back foot doesn't catch the board but your front foot does, and the deck just push the whole ankle out. That's for thinking hurting yourself on a hospital flip was dum.

Also fuck floppy shoes, gonna stick to cupsoles, high tops or high top cupsoles whenever I can.

Expand Quote
[close]
update: no actual tear in MRI, just degenerative shit (expected for my age), do have a bone bruise though which is kinda worse than it sounds... gonna lay low for a minute!
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah you don't want to mess with a bone bruise, had one on my talus that took years to heal properly.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2022, 09:27:11 PM »
↑ oh really? I got told two months, will need another MRI to confirm it's healing.
As first I was just like, "bruise? oh sweet, I'll be back next week", but yeah it looks pretty serious.
Just doing physio at the moment which should help with some alignment issues...

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
just dislocated my shoulder for the fourth time. happened first in 2017 then once a year since 2020. the last three times it dislocated, it was just from flailing it during a trick; not even from falling on it. anyone have similar experiences? anyone go through with the surgery? surgery seems so incredibly daunting but i'd looooove for this to never happen again..

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2022, 06:37:28 AM »
hairline fractured two bones in my wrist on a bullshit fall. they got me cast up past my elbow  :( for at least 3 weeks then cutting it down to a half cast for another two weeks. took 35 years to finally break something this bad. YAY.....

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
Messed my back up about a month ago.  Been going to the chiropractor 2x a week.  I’m older so it feels like I’ve gained 10 lbs in that time.  Hope to be back on the board next week.  Been stretching daily as well.  My hamstrings got super tight from the day job I think majorly contributing to the injury.     

Now having sciatica pain as well. Have to stay the course on the w stretching. I think it’s key to long term health and pain relief. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2022, 07:50:30 AM »
This thread bums me out. I did something to my hamstring in my left leg a week ago, not a bad but sore if I squat. Taking a week or so from skating and going to the gym. I think it's getting better if not will go to the doc in a week or so.

Skatebeard

« Reply #411 on: June 27, 2022, 06:11:27 AM »
just dislocated my shoulder for the fourth time. happened first in 2017 then once a year since 2020. the last three times it dislocated, it was just from flailing it during a trick; not even from falling on it. anyone have similar experiences? anyone go through with the surgery? surgery seems so incredibly daunting but i'd looooove for this to never happen again..

8 time (at least) shoulder dislocator here, mostly through snowboarding but a couple skating.

100% get the surgery... mine has been so much better since i had it done a few years back, it's not perfect but i've got way more confidence in it than i did before, it would sublax quite easily and i'd had so many dislocations.

It's keyhole so a fairly straightfoward procedure, if you take rehab seriously you can be back on a board in 10-12 weeks, out of a sling in 2-3 weeks.

Mine would almost always pop out with a flailing arm rather than falling on it, you deffo need to be conscious of keeping muscles activated and not swinging your arms about too freely, i skate like a t-rex.

happy to go into more detail on stuff if you have specific questions, but get surgery done pronto... i regret not doing it after the first 2 or 3 dislocations, but i didn't want time off the board.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:20:13 AM by Skatebeard »

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2022, 06:24:18 AM »
I had a bad case of heat exhaustion yesterday skating at this park with not a whole lot of shade, skated for about 4 hours but ran out of water the last hour I was there. Didn't feel that bad until i got into my vehicle and started to drive back home, i started feeling like i was about to black out and felt super lightheaded. I pulled into a gas station and felt like passing out, managed to go inside where it was cool and air conditioned and downed 2 bottles of cold water but still felt the nauseousness if not worse at this point. Sitting there i started feeling my heart race and then started shaking, so I dialed 911 and the paramedics came within 10 minutes. After an ekg they said I was in early stages of a heat stroke and needed to get fluids back in me so they gave me an iv. Ended up going to the hospital so they could monitor my heart for a little bit but ended up getting discharged an hour later. I felt like an idiot but def learned to not overdo it and keep plenty of water with me.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2022, 07:49:04 AM »
I either broke or sprained my thumb by accidentally smacking it into a kid while boardsliding yesterday. The wind blew a piece of trash by the flat bar and I took the opportunity to do a trick over it. The kid had just bailed something else and was walking back to his starting point and was kinda in my way, but I was far enough away that I indicated I was heading to the flat bar and he seemed to acknowledge me with his eyes. So with that acknowledgement I was cleared so I hopped on the flat bar and while I'm board sliding towards the trash, the kid is going towards the trash to pick it up, and then my arm runs into him thumb first somewhere in his upper torso or head region. Fucking hurt a lot. The kid acted like he was completely fine and apologetic, but then left pretty much right away. I feel bad about that kids bad experience, and I can't use my thumb.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2022, 01:26:17 AM »
This thread bums me out.
yeah, I generally don’t look at it unless I’m hurt, but sometimes it’s good to hear others stories in regards to recovery or whatever.
I’ve been in the wars this year, but it’s been a long long time since I’ve been sidelined from doing what I love so I have to keep that in mind too…
 I hope you are all able to roll again sooner rather than later!

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
One week post surgery after breaking my hip on a gnarly slam riding down a hill. I guess I turned in too tightly, pinched, and got pitched immediately. 45 years old, skating since 1985, fortunately have been able to stay out of these hospital things over the years so I guess I was due.

Quick surgery. Two small rods inserted, immense, intense pain, but now on the road to recovery hopping around on crutches. Funny, sad, I slammed same day Biden was in the news for falling and then I was released from the hospital on Go Skateboarding Day.!

Now I guess I get to commiserate with Tony Hawk (pelvis) and Cab (femur, but motocross incident not skating) with their recent injuries. “Awesome.”

Anyone else in or been in the same boat and completely broke off a part of their leg.?

Shalom.

Free. Be. Max.

Max. Be. Free.

J.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »
@sluggers

Sorry to hear about your broken hip. I haven’t broke anything since I was 27. Every time I fall now I panic thinking I just broke something.

Recently I was riding down the sidewalk really pushing on my cruiser board and my wheels hit the edge of the grass which was edged so it was like a dirt curb. I stopped dead and flew onto my ribs and hip. Nothing broke but it was scary.

Falling ain’t the same anymore.

As one old guy to another, I wish you the best.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2022, 06:29:10 PM »
I’m still experiencing weird pain/discomfort in my throat and chest 3 months out of tonsil surgery. The doctor says acid reflux but it’s never felt like this.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #418 on: June 29, 2022, 03:13:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

8 time (at least) shoulder dislocator here, mostly through snowboarding but a couple skating.

100% get the surgery... mine has been so much better since i had it done a few years back, it's not perfect but i've got way more confidence in it than i did before, it would sublax quite easily and i'd had so many dislocations.

It's keyhole so a fairly straightfoward procedure, if you take rehab seriously you can be back on a board in 10-12 weeks, out of a sling in 2-3 weeks.

Mine would almost always pop out with a flailing arm rather than falling on it, you deffo need to be conscious of keeping muscles activated and not swinging your arms about too freely, i skate like a t-rex.

happy to go into more detail on stuff if you have specific questions, but get surgery done pronto... i regret not doing it after the first 2 or 3 dislocations, but i didn't want time off the board.

same experience pretty much. The surgery totally fixed the problem. It's been over 20 years since and I never had problems with that shoulder again. in my experience, the more it pops out, the easier it starts to happen.

wishing all the best to you guys recovering!

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #419 on: June 29, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
Currently nursing a heel bruise I got by showboating by skating in flipflops