Author Topic: New Austyn Gillette part  (Read 24505 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Re: New Austyn Gillette part
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought surfing would be lower impact than skating.

People talking shit on the heel have to remember all this part was filmed in them. It isn't like he has put out a glam rock shoe.

Skating in that was great. All perfect.
[close]

There's definitely a few clips where he's wearing Classics or The Dylan.�

Forget the heel for a minute, that whole leather upper just looks unbelievably uncomfortable.�

I've skated in my dress shoes fucking around before and all it did was give me blisters.�
[close]

OK, but he was skating them for 80% of it, wasn't he? They seem vaguely skatable, don't they?

I don't really care because I'll never skate in these or the Dylans.
[close]

Cory Kennedy skates better in Birkenstocks(making them vaguely skateable no?) than I or any of us could ever hope to so I don't think it's that unreasonable of a stretch to assume that Austyn Gillette can probably skate his dookie dress shoe with better results than your average skater.�

It's also not an unreasonable stretch to think he might want shoes that he finds easier to skate in rather than making a shoe that no one can skate.

You say tomatoes...

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
Hipster is definitely used all the time by people who don't know what it means, and it is annoying as fuck, but don't sit there and self righteously deny like there isn't a collectively held idea of what one is. There are hipster areas in every big city (in my city it's North Park). There are cities that are hipster havens (Austin, SF, Portland). There certainly are people who wear hipster uniforms (tight high waters, v necks, quaffed hair, strategically placed tattoos, et cetera), although I think this has passed critical mass and into mainstream. Austyn Gillette, with his camera collection, aspirations to own a coffee shop, love of American Spirits, and now coming out with what is ostensibly a dress shoe you can skate in, would qualify as one to a lot of reasonable people. I guess the point is words change and lose their specificity all the time. That's how language works.

I think his shoe looks good. A lot of people seem to have this idea that skate shoes have to fit in some box when the box is really just something that is self imposed. I remember people talking shit on the K3 for looking like basketball shoes. Now they're one of the most celebrated skate shoes ever. As far as all shoes are concerned, Austyn's shoe is pretty understated, and I like that. Of course this shoe gets comparisons to Dylan's because they both taking from dressier shoe styles, but when one looks at the shoes individually they are fairly different from one another. Personally, I hated the sole of Dylan's shoe. It made the whole thing look strange. I feel Austyn's shoe flows much better, the shape is more aesthetically pleasing to me, they're really simple, and they seem like they would be perfectly functional.

ill_Murray, it's one thing to be able to fuck around in birkenstocks and quite another to film a pro level part in them. You can do a lot of shit with things you're not meant to do them in, but that wouldn't make it not a hindrance, and using the correct equipment not an advantage. I'm sure you could do a lot of tricks while wearing shoes 3 sizes too big, but you can do more in ones that fit. Now to find that video with Flo Marfaing skating in flip flops.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
A lot of people seem to have this idea that skate shoes have to fit in some box

its 2015, no one really thinks that anymore.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
does anyone have any information about his injury? how do you break both knees surfing? (not saying you can't, I just don't know about surfing) When did it happen?

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »
does anyone have any information about his injury? how do you break both knees surfing? (not saying you can't, I just don't know about surfing) When did it happen?
It turns out he didn't break them. In the Sidewalk interview he says he tore the meniscus in both his knees. I don't surf a lot but I can definitely see how you could tweak your knees and mess them up. It sounds like it was just from continuous abuse to them from skating and maybe surfing was the straw that broke the camel's back?

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2015, 09:54:48 PM »
ill_Murray, it's one thing to be able to fuck around in birkenstocks and quite another to film a pro level part in them. You can do a lot of shit with things you're not meant to do them in, but that wouldn't make it not a hindrance, and using the correct equipment not an advantage. I'm sure you could do a lot of tricks while wearing shoes 3 sizes too big, but you can do more in ones that fit. Now to find that video with Flo Marfaing skating in flip flops.

I disagree with your implication that the tricks CK1 filmed in birkenstocks weren't pro caliber. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I disagree with your implication that the tricks CK1 filmed in birkenstocks weren't pro caliber. 
The implication is that he skates better in his skate shoes than in his birkenstocks. "Pro level part" is clearly a relative thing when you're talking about Corey Kennedy.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Multiple people in this thread seem to think that. A dude literally said, "Is anyone really going to buy that sunday school shoe?"

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2015, 10:56:44 PM »
im just going to ROSS this weekend and buy other skate shoes for 30 dollars, #supportyourlocalROSS

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:05 AM »
Huf shoud make a mid version with suede leather and a black
Sole- then i woud think about.
Since ever i dream about a skatable version of the clarks desert boots.

Sexytoes69

• Rep: -4
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2015, 03:03:56 AM »
clark desert boot=best shoe eva.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »

my roommate back in the day had these...
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Multiple people in this thread seem to think that. A dude literally said, "Is anyone really going to buy that sunday school shoe?"

Yeah, I said it.  Not to be too literal here but I'm pretty sure all shoes have to fit into a box...a shoe box.

In all seriousness though, I'm all for progression and the fact that a new shoe came out that doesn't look like a Half Cab or another vulc clone but absolutely not one millimeter of that shoe looks the least bit comfortable to me because they remind me of the dress shoe I wore my entire scholastic life. 

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 241
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »
that was greatt

loved the line on those wavey things, that switch front 1 floated around that thing, also i know its a back 1 lateshuv but it reminded me of the back bigspin immediately to fakie bigspin in busenitz's chicagof part (2:04)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my roommate back in the day had these...

i was just getting ready to post these. thought they were one of the more interesting skate shoes that don't seem corny years later and they really pushed the idea of what could work as a skate shoe.

and the first pair of stephan i had, had a cole hann upper that was hard like a dress shoe and it was awesome. they kept their form and lasted for ever. not saying i'm wanting these shoes, i wear dress shoes at work so i get my fill, but i don't see why people wouldn't go for these.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
Nike made these a few years back:

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I said it.  Not to be too literal here but I'm pretty sure all shoes have to fit into a box...a shoe box.

In all seriousness though, I'm all for progression and the fact that a new shoe came out that doesn't look like a Half Cab or another vulc clone but absolutely not one millimeter of that shoe looks the least bit comfortable to me because they remind me of the dress shoe I wore my entire scholastic life. 
I almost made that joke, but then I thought I could do with a little self respect every now and then, lol. But seriously, I understand you've been psychologically scarred by your boyhood school shoes. It happens to the best of us. I don't want to step foot back at my high school ever again.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
Can we call this week the "Austyn week" please.

I remember to skate his first shoe and actually I love it. Also I love this clip. Damn Velvet Undreground and NY are great !

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I almost made that joke, but then I thought I could do with a little self respect every now and then, lol. But seriously, I understand you've been psychologically scarred by your boyhood school shoes. It happens to the best of us. I don't want to step foot back at my high school ever again.

Oh please, it would've been irresponsible for that joke to have gone un-made and you know it. 

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
ipath cats were the shit, I had like 3 pairs

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »
Nike made these a few years back:

holy shit I forgot about these, they were awesome. Essentially a midtop Koston 1 with this weird inner booty thing, but they skated great. I got them at TJ Maxx for 22 bucks though, no way was I paying retail price fuk dat

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »
the late bigspin on the roller coaster was sick

So fucking good

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18:54 PM »
Can someone post a non thrasher version? If it hasn't already..

Thank you. Xo

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »
My lord that was the best fake tre I've ever seen.

Thanks for the link!