Author Topic: trying to size down  (Read 4552 times)

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
trying to size down
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
anyone else been able to get used to a smaller board? I've been riding like 8.8-9 inch decks the last 2-3 years and recently I've been wanting to size down to like an 8.5 as that seems to be a more popular size that shops stock. I haven't skated a deck that size in quite a while. I bought a set of 159's too so I've got some trucks that will fit an 8.5 better than my 169's. I am also a size 13 in shoes so idk if it'll feel super weird. I guess I am just wondering what you're guys experiences are with downsizing

MYXGAMES2015

Re: trying to size down
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
I downsized from 8.62 to 8.38 recently. Didn't feel as comfortable on transition for a little while, but flip tricks were instantly so much easier.

hsggreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
I'm a sz 13 also, you'll be fine on an 8.5"

Jordick

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
basically sized down from 8.5 to 8.25-8.38ish. been skating 8.5s for over a year now, and I want to go even smaller than 8.25. I feel like maybe a smaller board with nearly flat concave would be ok to skate? idk its hard to experiment cause I don't really have a disposable income.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
Really it's mostly mental.
At first you'll feel terrible but if you just accept it usually you can adapt.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
If I ever have any extra cash lying around, I wanna get a 7.75 setup; with 129s and everything, just to fuck around on and to see how well or how bad I'd do on one again. It's been years since I've ridden that size (been on 8 and above for six years now, maybe even more. Currently on an 8.5). Who knows, maybe I'll get a few tricks back that I lost and haven't had for years. There's certain tricks that just come easier on skinny boards, but there's also a lot of tricks that come easier on a wider board too. Wider just feels better to me, but it'd be cool to get a 7.75 and pretend I'm in the early 2000s again.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Sized down to 8.125 from 8.5 for my current board and it was weird at first but now it feels completely the same

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
If I ever have any extra cash lying around, I wanna get a 7.75 setup; with 129s and everything, just to fuck around on and to see how well or how bad I'd do on one again. It's been years since I've ridden that size (been on 8 and above for six years now, maybe even more. Currently on an 8.5). Who knows, maybe I'll get a few tricks back that I lost and haven't had for years. There's certain tricks that just come easier on skinny boards, but there's also a lot of tricks that come easier on a wider board too. Wider just feels better to me, but it'd be cool to get a 7.75 and pretend I'm in the early 2000s again.
8 is fine i can do all my tricks on an 8 and probably an 8.26 even but things like shuvit underflip sexchanges and old school kickflips are pretty easy on 7.75 and below since you don't really pop them.

i mean you'll obviously never do those into a grind or anything so an 8 and above is probably fine by me.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

I feel the same way, I have this old ass 7.75 sk8mafia board at my parents house and last christmas while I was carpet riding it, I was able to do tricks I've never been able to do, like bigspin flips and 540 flips, it was mind blowing (i'm 5'10 - 170). It was all fun until I rolled my ankle on kickflip tough... never felt so stupid in my life hahah

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
thanks for all the info guys

definitely gonna get an 8.5 and see how it is

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
yee jackson, you should be fine with really anything 8 and above. If you're shop stocks more 8.5s, it'll just be more convenient for you to get used to them
Shit could be worse

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 08:49:55 PM »
Downsizing helped my tech game so much, rode an 8.5 for a long time. Staring down a 12 set is much tougher now, it was so much more stable and easy to spot. With an 8 you aim for your bolts, 8.5 you aim for your board

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
Sizing down has never worked in my favor. Sizing up has always been good to me.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
7.75 and I haven't changed it in years. I often wonder if I should size up to an 8 but then I'd have to buy new trucks...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 02:46:09 AM »
7.75 and I haven't changed it in years. I often wonder if I should size up to an 8 but then I'd have to buy new trucks...
8" trucks on da 8" board for da primo flips.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »

Same here - my issue is wheelbase, not board width; sadly there are not many narrow boards with longer wheelbases.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
I was 7.75 for many many years. Then I sized up to 8-8.25 cause they were easier to find, peer pressure, or whatever. I Skated the bigger boards for 3 years till finally I was like, "fuck it" and I got a 7.75 a couple of weeks ago. Never been happier. The board is light, everything pops, flips, all that. I'm never leaving small boards again.
ableSkateMag.com

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 12:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here - my issue is wheelbase, not board width; sadly there are not many narrow boards with longer wheelbases.

Expand Quote
[close]
I was 7.75 for many many years. Then I sized up to 8-8.25 cause they were easier to find, peer pressure, or whatever. I Skated the bigger boards for 3 years till finally I was like, "fuck it" and I got a 7.75 a couple of weeks ago. Never been happier. The board is light, everything pops, flips, all that. I'm never leaving small boards again.

I've been on 7.75-7.8 for years and years, never felt need to change. Nowadays it is little bit trickier to find that size with proper wheelbase (a bit bigger then 14) but it is possible. When I found deck that I like I try to stock up.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:19 AM »
I've been on 7.75-7.8 for years and years, never felt need to change. Nowadays it is little bit trickier to find that size with proper wheelbase (a bit bigger then 14) but it is possible. When I found deck that I like I try to stock up.

What are Magentas like in that respect? I'm not that fussy about wheelbase at all but the magenta 7.75s are a dream shape for me, might even try the 7.875 next time?

@able did you size down for trucks when you went smaller?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:39:06 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -212
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »
Chocolate started making Chris Roberts and Justin Eldridge's shapes in 7.75 and 7.875. I'm considering working my way down from 8.38. I have a really hard time with flip tricks on anything bigger than 8.25.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Jordick

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »
I would try a toy machine 7.75 or 7.625 since I would guess the low concave would be more comfortable, but I don't have the type of wallet to be spending on something I probably won't like

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
I've been having this dilemma as well.  I'm currently riding 8.62, and have been for awhile, but I wonder sometimes if a smaller set up might be a little more stable? I'm sure lighter weight wouldn't hurt either, the thing can feel like a tank sometimes.

once you get used to longer wheelbases it's really, really hard to go back down.

plus it would just be nice to try some different companies instead of anti hero over and over.

dog boy

• Rep: 2
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »

I feel like this rings true to most things in my life

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:25 AM »
I tried to size down about a year ago thinking I would become this tech / flat ground wizard and all it did was throw all my other tricks out.
If you have flips tricks already on your wider set up then stick with it.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
I have been on 8 1/8 since the big move from 7.75 almost ten years ago. I also skate the smallest board in my city.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but is it easier to land with your feet on a bigger board or a smaller one?

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
To me, it's more about foot positioning above anything else when it comes to smaller vs bigger boards. I can do anything I can on whatever board man, but at the end it comes to the feel. How should I describe it? I can't have the board cover the entire foot when I'm riding straight. That's why 8.125 is as big as I go atm(Riding 149 trucks, would be riding 8s but need to cover those axles as much as I can so 8.125 it is)

If you pop, catch and land correctly it's pretty much whatever size you have. It's all about the feel. Probably why most strictly tranny dudes ride wider board... Board covering entire foot when standing straight.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Quote from: TehPwnzorer  link=topic=86424.msg2352523#msg2352523 date=1436391059
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
To me, it's more about foot positioning above anything else when it comes to smaller vs bigger boards. I can do anything I can on whatever board man, but at the end it comes to the feel. How should I describe it? I can't have the board cover the entire foot when I'm riding straight. That's why 8.125 is as big as I go atm(Riding 149 trucks, would be riding 8s but need to cover those axles as much as I can so 8.125 it is)

If you pop, catch and land correctly it's pretty much whatever size you have. It's all about the feel. Probably why most strictly tranny dudes ride wider board... Board covering entire foot when standing straight.
Oh wow. Do all the ramp guys skate wide boards or just the pool/bowl guys?

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:57 PM »
Of course not. It's all about your own style and how you feel about it. But a lot of tranny guys riding bowl/vert tend to ride wider boards. 8.38 and up. Like a lot of tech guys riding 7.75 - 8.125. Never really seen tranny dudes ride 8" except the girls(smaller feet?) Bigger guys like Chris Cole and Andrew Reynolds ride 8.5 tho.