Author Topic: Nyjah to Nike in three months  (Read 123192 times)

tobey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
Re: Nyjah to Nike in three months
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
If it's true, I wonder if he'll make the deadline for Chronicles 3. If anyone could film a part in such a short time period it would be Nyjah.

Luan did that

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
"dude, yngwe malmsteen is an incredible guitarist! how you could not like his stuff? you're just a hater."

"I admit the guy is skilled. I'm just not into his music."

"fucking hater."

[close]

This is a pretty perfect analogy.

Not really. Yngwe malmsteen was pretty obscure. Overly technical. He never really entered the mainstream or was very popular. He's probably closer to Joey Brezinski. I could see Nyjah being Kanye West or someone who is that big. His tricks are all pretty much mainstream hammers.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

GetNaked247

• Rep: -7
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2015, 06:46:35 AM »
Nyjah to diamond footwear this fall along with another street league guy and nick tucker

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
If it's true, I wonder if he'll make the deadline for Chronicles 3. If anyone could film a part in such a short time period it would be Nyjah.
[close]

Luan did that

yeah luan throws together notoriously fast video parts, that ill actually end up rewatching a bunch. I appreciate nyjahs skating, and remember being really stoked on him during rise and shine...but I just cant watch that shit over and over like I do with tons of other skate footy
try to remember, forget

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
Diamond I could see.

That thanksgiving YouTube video was fucking hard to watch.  David Loy needs a chainsaw punch.

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »
Diamond I could see.

That thanksgiving YouTube video was fucking hard to watch.  David Loy needs a chainsaw punch.

he does fit in way better with nick tucker than ishod and fucking GT for christ's sake

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2015, 12:54:01 AM »
Nyjah to diamond footwear this fall along with another street league guy and nick tucker
Gotta be the chaz

pinch a loaf

« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gotta be the chaz
That's a lot of personality for one team.

needlejuice

« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2015, 04:59:43 AM »
nike seems like a team where the most stylish dudes in the world get picked for. cory ishod luan prod gt nugget Justin brock kevin Bradley angel janoski etc. I was hesitant ab nikes at first but literally all of my favorite skaters wore them, not one kook on the team I can think of
try to remember, forget

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »
nike seems like a team where the most stylish dudes in the world get picked for. cory ishod luan prod gt nugget Justin brock kevin Bradley angel janoski etc. I was hesitant ab nikes at first but literally all of my favorite skaters wore them, not one kook on the team I can think of

Nike define story has a tons of style guys. Maybe the most stylish of all with Gino. BA isn't too shabby either. I will disagree with you on the no looks and say Trevor Colden is fully a kook in my book.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nike define story has a tons of style guys. Maybe the most stylish of all with Gino. BA isn't too shabby either. I will disagree with you on the no looks and say Trevor Colden is fully a kook in my book.

Since the start of this iteration of SB, Nike have been extremely calculated and clever with who they pick for their team.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »
Adidas is looking way good with all the fuckery going on at Nike.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »
I don't think he's wrong. He has a good point. Skaters have always had some fantasy about what's pure and who is pure. They can't get over their 1970's/80's punk rock dirt bag stereotype to realize that skateboarding attracts all types...even the types who you would not normally hang around. I know it sucks to realize that Nyjah had a certain amount of privilege that made skateboarding very accessible but in the end, he's just better than a lot of pros and puts more work into being a professional than a lot of your favorite pros and it bothers people.

He certainly doesn't put a lot of work into coming off as a professional. Having parties and behaving like Justin Bieber? When a skater appears in TMZ that's not a good sign.

I think some of the hate comes from going from rasta to swag.

Look at Cole who went from fresh to hesh and then monster nascar logo racecar.

Look at Mike V who went from outspoken vegan to meat eating meathead.

It's disingenuous and breeds distrust when you once backed a guy for being one thing, and then he embodies the thing you dislike/hate.

I liked rasta nyjah and I didn't get too suspicious when he shed the dreads because other rastafarian skateboarders have done it, but internalized the lifestyle and religion.

Now he's just like Andy Mac to me.  Skilled at trick riding a skateboard with a shit style, trying to win contests, and trying to make a buck wherever possible using skateboarding as a means.  At least Andy Mac is consistent since he was a kook from the get go. There's a difference between modeling and whoring yourself out, too.

Thank you for finally organizing the thoughts in my head into an cohesive sentence.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:53:10 AM by posguy »

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 260
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »

#marketresearch

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

#marketresearch

Nike Guide to Skateboarding Takeover.

Step 1. Sponsor some well-respected skaters and gently come off as a skateboard loving brand, quietly. Not making too much of a splash as to alarm people. Think Reese Shimizu Mulder Todd Jordan.

Step 2. Creep a little further in. Grab some up and coming dudes. Start making a video because people are starting to respect us. Daryl Angel Justin Brock Salazar etc.

Step 3. Let's get our hands in some of these events now and really begin our investment. Street League, etc.

Step 4. Total annihilation. Seek out most mainstream, profitable pros with reach aka Nyjah. Get hands in everything. Make as much money as possible. We are here to stay. Fuck all of you. Ride this wave as hard as possible.

Step 5. Profit.

Step 6. Basketball.

zippy z

« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
I hope Ninejah goes to Nike just to see my friend lose his mind when his über-team goes full Kooksville.

needlejuice

« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh shit forgot ab colden. totally agree with you on that. but his skating and style are fucking great. style seems to be a big factor for the nike team which is really why nyjah wouldn't fit in
try to remember, forget

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Nyjah is getting on HUF. Domo got him on.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

JACKSONVILLAIN

• Rep: 12
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2015, 01:32:19 AM »
today I heard: September 15th, 8 years; $20 million
Good to know photoshopped jizz is the line that SLAP doesn't cross. Pansies.

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2015, 02:49:26 AM »
Nyjah on Airspeed

zeepers

« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »

an 8 year contract in skateboarding sounds a little unrealistic due to the probability of injury or other possible career ending factors.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

an 8 year contract in skateboarding sounds a little unrealistic due to the probability of injury or other possible career ending factors.

Yes, those are silly numbers to throw around, but has Stefan Janoski done anything of note lately? He probably sells more shoes to the "Andy from Accounting" types than the rest of the skate shoe industry save for Vans.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Since the start of this iteration of SB, Nike have been extremely calculated and clever with who they pick for their team.

From what I was told, he would end up on Nike but not end up on the 'core' team, like with Omar, BA, Koston, Colden, Gino, etc...

Like Nike SB will milk the shit out of Nyjah but not really part of the SB team.

It's really confusing.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

From what I was told, he would end up on Nike but not end up on the 'core' team, like with Omar, BA, Koston, Colden, Gino, etc...

Like Nike SB will milk the shit out of Nyjah but not really part of the SB team.

It's really confusing.

nyjah on 6.0

wonder if he'll be on some Tiger Woods shit and start skating in Air Force ones because he loves Cyrus so much

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, those are silly numbers to throw around, but has Stefan Janoski done anything of note lately? He probably sells more shoes to the "Andy from Accounting" types than the rest of the skate shoe industry save for Vans.

jeeez.  how many people work in your accounting and HR departments?  every Nike thread it's a different staff person. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

jeeez.  how many people work in your accounting and HR departments?  every Nike thread it's a different staff person. 

Haha. Nice to see someone's noticed. I just see so many corporate types wearing casual shoes like Vans and Janoskis every day on the metro and at the office (500+ people). I start labeling people to take away from the boredom of the commute. 55 year old women named Blanche or Jan, 30 year old bro-types who have to be name Thad, otherwise-invisible drones who wear Janoskis named Andy. Yeah, I get bored easily.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

#marketresearch
[close]

Nike Guide to Skateboarding Takeover.

Step 1. Sponsor some well-respected skaters and gently come off as a skateboard loving brand, quietly. Not making too much of a splash as to alarm people. Think Reese Shimizu Mulder Todd Jordan.

Step 2. Creep a little further in. Grab some up and coming dudes. Start making a video because people are starting to respect us. Daryl Angel Justin Brock Salazar etc.

Step 3. Let's get our hands in some of these events now and really begin our investment. Street League, etc.

Step 4. Total annihilation. Seek out most mainstream, profitable pros with reach aka Nyjah. Get hands in everything. Make as much money as possible. We are here to stay. Fuck all of you. Ride this wave as hard as possible.

Step 5. Profit.

Step 6. Basketball.

Step 6 really rings true with me.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »
Nyjah cries when he doesn't win, he literally cries. And when Luan beat him this last Street League, Nyjah got all passive aggressive on Instagram. I don't care how many tricks he can do, Nyjah has never got me hyped on anything he's ever done. I'd rather watch Ishod skate flat ground in a parking lot, than any of Nyjah's video parts.  I could care less about any video part he put out. I just ignore him, he might as well not exist. I just wish he wouldn't be so public, because he's bringing all types of marc-ass busters into something that I love.

i´m a lil drunk but yeeeah!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Nyjah cries when he doesn't win, he literally cries. And when Luan beat him this last Street League, Nyjah got all passive aggressive on Instagram. I don't care how many tricks he can do, Nyjah has never got me hyped on anything he's ever done. I'd rather watch Ishod skate flat ground in a parking lot, than any of Nyjah's video parts.  I could care less about any video part he put out. I just ignore him, he might as well not exist. I just wish he wouldn't be so public, because he's bringing all types of marc-ass busters into something that I love.

[close]

i�m a lil drunk but yeeeah!

I was watching Tampa Pro and when Luan killed his 3rd run w/ the crowd hyped, they zoomed over to Nyjah whos run was next, and dude had the most sour look, un-appreciative of what Luan, and it looked to me like he just was trying to figure out a way to top it ???

pinch a loaf

« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
^Did you catch the last street league when he was taking the last pictures with the 2nd place trophy? Fake ass smile, and as he walks away, just says "fuuuuck."