Author Topic: Kalis facebook post  (Read 55277 times)

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Kalis facebook post
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
you had a board with the Natas panther graphic, it's the same shit, tribute shit, respect shit, dude
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:13:52 AM by the snake »

ratherwatch

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
Thing is, all that kind of phony mid- period nostalgia is marketing gold, unfortunately.
The skateboarding mainstream has dried up culturally so the goldfish memory of an activity with an average generational cycle of 6 or 7 years means a lot of that stuff which should be lore is up for grabs for claiming as an homage or some other buffoonery.
Like the EMB stuff in that Supreme thing, to me its a bit corny in the only board_thing which needs modernity to push it forward. Surfing and snowboarding renews its terrain with the weather, skating can't so it should press on and not repeat the same stuff claiming roots or respect.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
how did you roofie the barrier.?....were you all sly about like.....'no..no...drinks on me!' 

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
Skateboarding would be so boring if you could never do tricks at the same spot other people have done tricks. Were they suppose to put a disclaimer that Josh Kalis has done a trick here before? Even after Kalis's explanation I still don't see why anyone should hate it. If anything he should be hyped that someone remembered his idea after 15 years. It's not like Adidas or Susci are making it seem like they were the first to skate it like that.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »
tribute? I dunno.   even if it is a tribute then that means tributes dont really mean shit.       what Idratherwatch said.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Skateboarding would be so boring if you could never do tricks at the same spot other people have done tricks. Were they suppose to put a disclaimer that Josh Kalis has done a trick here before? Even after Kalis's explanation I still don't see why anyone should hate it. If anything he should be hyped that someone remembered his idea after 15 years. It's not like Adidas or Susci are making it seem like they were the first to skate it like that.

Your only looking at it at face value.
I'm not going to argue about it.... I'm not offended.... It's flattering, but at the same time it's not. Dudes  fuck your chick... Flattering??

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your only looking at it at face value.
I'm not going to argue about it.... I'm not offended.... It's flattering, but at the same time it's not. Dudes  fuck your chick... Flattering??

Idk, ask Carroll.

rideflannel

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »
This shit is so fucking hilarious. The dumbest shit to be butt hurt over.

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
This shit is so fucking hilarious. The dumbest shit to be butt hurt over.

true. mark is an obvious enthusiast of love park skating, and kalis is the don behind all that. if anything this should be looked at with gratitude, not comparing it to a dude fucking your chick.

jomeara1

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
you had a board with the Natas panther graphic, it's the same shit, tribute shit, respect shit, dude

Gotta agree with the snake here.

We all respect you 100% Kalis, but please don't kook yourself over this :/.   

DGKALIS

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
All gravy. That's the beauty of opinions.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
He turned the noseblunt f/s to backside

15 years of progression

LOVE 4EVER

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »

Are you seriously talking about the same shit? Its a photo with triick and not a shoe ad. Not a tribute to Kalis.

Adidas wants to resume an essence that   never been part, never will.

rideflannel

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:13 AM »
Guess Kalis is the only person allowed to shoot photos at landmarks.. What about when you propped up a tile to skate over a can? Did you get permission from Ricky? I'm dumbfounded on how anyone could be bummed on this.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »
Backing Kalis on this one.  If it was an homage in a video part or maybe an ad for a struggling core skate brand, maybe one thing.  But for a multi-million dollar corporation that is vying for the direct marketshare that DC/Kalis represents, it's a morally bankrupted, total lack of creativity on Adidas' marketing advertising dept.  About the same as when Nike used the classic Minor Threat cover for their "Major Threat" ad.

DGKALIS

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »
Guess Kalis is the only person allowed to shoot photos at landmarks.. What about when you propped up a tile to skate over a can? Did you get permission from Ricky? I'm dumbfounded on how anyone could be bummed on this.

You see.... Some people just don't get it. No disrespect to you.... But again.... Your looking at it at face value. I'm done. If you get you get it... If not hopefully you will someday.

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You see.... Some people just don't get it. No disrespect to you.... But again.... Your looking at it at face value. I'm done. If you get you get it... If not hopefully you will someday.

I'm with DGKalis on this, I hated when other brands would bite Blind ads.

rideflannel

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
Backing Kalis on this one.  If it was an homage in a video part or maybe an ad for a struggling core skate brand, maybe one thing.  But for a multi-million dollar corporation that is vying for the direct marketshare that DC/Kalis represents, it's a morally bankrupted, total lack of creativity on Adidas' marketing advertising dept.  About the same as when Nike used the classic Minor Threat cover for their "Major Threat" ad.

Yah and DC is owned by a publicly traded surf company? What about Chris Cole's nbd ad campaign? A lot of those tricks have been done but you don't see  older pros hating on it publicly.

It's just skateboarding and there isn't a rule book.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah and DC is owned by a publicly traded surf company? What about Chris Cole's nbd ad campaign? A lot of those tricks have been done but you don't see  older pros hating on it publicly.

I'm looking at it from the marketing point of view I guess.  Sure, take two famous photos, combine the imagery, bite the trick, should at least be a tribute shoe on Adidas at that point.  The Nike thing I was referring to...it's just punk rock, no rules who cares who sits on a step who hasn't sat on a step before...

Jordick

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
I'll take Kalis' word on anything.

Al408

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
Suciu shits all over kalis the fuck

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »
Haha why are people trying to make it sound like Adidas set this whole thing up? Some of you are acting like some marketing dude told Suciu to do this. Pretty sure he just skates there a lot and decided to do this as an ad. I doubt it was some scheme to target the skaters who'd remember the original ad. Some people are reading way too much into this shit, unless there's something Kalis knows that we don't then I still find all of this hate on Suciu/Adidas pretty stupid.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:08:17 PM by poopnutsupreme »
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
Should see it more as a tribute , sure Suici is a fan

this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pinch a loaf

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »
This. Seems to me like suciu just likes all that love imagery that Kalis and them created. I see it as tribute.

Nbd, Abd, i've never really cared.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »
good for kalis sticking to his guns and not tucking his tail and deleting the comment like most pro's would do. but, cmon business is a huge part of skateboarding and im sure wayyy more crooked shit is going on behind the scenes than this
try to remember, forget

pinch a loaf

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
good for kalis sticking to his guns and not tucking his tail and deleting the comment like most pro's would do. but, cmon business is a huge part of skateboarding and im sure wayyy more crooked shit is going on behind the scenes than this
I guess you didn't see when some kid called him gay, and kalis went fucking off on instagram on this kid, only to delete it shortly after. I saw danny renaud in the comments saying it was lame to do.

Pros need to stop calling shit out on social media, even if they have a point, because it only makes them look bad. Never good.

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »
I was driving to work the other day, all of a sudden at a red light kalis threw me out of the car grand-theft-auto style and told me to "stop biting ma daughter's shit yo"

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Haha why are people trying to make it sound like Adidas set this whole thing up? Some of you are acting like some marketing dude told Suciu to do this. Pretty sure he just skates there a lot and decided to do this as an ad. I doubt it was some scheme to target the skaters who'd remember the original ad. Some people are reading way too much into this shit, unless there's something Kalis knows that we don't then I still find all of this hate on Suciu/Adidas pretty stupid.

this. he was probably just skating at love and there happened to be a barrier. Maybe thought, "oh damn remember when people used to skate it like this back in the day?" then just shot a photo on it with the photographer. He has a mean bs noseblunt. Can't think of a better trick for that thing, and obviously the photo was gonna turn out amazing. It did, and they turned it in for an ad. That's probably pretty close to what actually happened, give or take a few details. Wasn't a diss to Kalis, probably wasn't a tribute. I bet it was just more of a nostalgia thing.

God. Who fucking cares. I just typed way too much.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
The DC version is much better anyways... that's something I haven't said very often lately.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
Anybody gonna talk about how perfect that back noseblunt is?