Author Topic: Nike x Jessup Grip  (Read 1241 times)

foureyedjim

Nike x Jessup Grip
« on: October 10, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »
http://ultranbd.jessupmfg.com/

What’s the deal with these? Anyone get to try it? 

theoriginalgoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
Re: Nike x Jessup Grip
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 05:55:17 PM »

they lost me at Jessup
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

they lost me at Jessup

Ur tripping my guy, jessup is the shit. Mob fucks up my shoes in like 2 days.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
a few people have tried it with what seems like not very high opinions -

Sorry giant pic

Nike NBD grip on top
Black Magic Ablack5 on bottom

The Nike grip feels pretty grippy to my hands, it's chunky and it feels like there is more space between the grit compared to say, the blackmagic which is small grit and tightly packed. The Nike grip is also light as fuck even on the paper compare to any grip I've felt before, it's also pretty floopy/easily rolled (but not ripped). Yes, it really looks that salt and peppery. Going to set it up tonight.

&

Been awhile since I've had a cruiser I feel excited about. I had a little mini cruiser set up but I realized I still like to be able to ollie and do some tricks when out 'cruising.'

Anyway, wheel wells were key for this one. Shin Surf shape (Jnr I believe), Ace Classic 44s, Boserio OJ mini juice and Big Ballz 6ball bearings. Stoked to go no risers for once. Scraps of Jessup and some recycled Nike rubber/ Jessup crap (not recommended for gripping a full board with)

foureyedjim

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
Yeah I was thinking a rubbery material would feel weird after years of using standard grip. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:08:39 AM »
Great concept. Actually works OK. However its really hard to cut. Make sure you have a very sharp blade. Finally, it does wear away on the edges a little prematurely.  I still wouldn't grip my whole deck with it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
I’d never use it again, it feels soft and ultimately not as grippy as I’d like.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 04:08:13 PM »
Just regripped my old board with this stuff and had a brief & chill 1 hour session. Old griptape was worn down as fuck bad quality shit grip.

This stuff looks funky. Very light and with white and colored spots. It is also by far the hardest grip to cut. I felt like a n00b gripping his first board when cutting it. End result wasn't too pretty but w/e. It is very grippy. Seemed even grippier than the normal Jessup Ultragrip. I really liked it. Time will tell how it fares in the long run but right now I'm impressed.

I usually do all sorts of shit with my grip, so the grip looking funky doesn't bother me. It would be nice if it were easier to cut but it's not a deal breaker. It would also be nice if it were some other company than of Nike but I'm ok with this as I think it's a step in the right direction regarding sustainability and circular economy, even if it isn't the final solution.

Disclaimer: I hate pretty much all other grips than Jessup Ultragrip. They all wear down way too fast and/or aren't any good to begin with.

Anderson

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 02:11:46 AM »
a few people have tried it with what seems like not very high opinions -

Expand Quote

Sorry giant pic

Nike NBD grip on top
Black Magic Ablack5 on bottom

The Nike grip feels pretty grippy to my hands, it's chunky and it feels like there is more space between the grit compared to say, the blackmagic which is small grit and My Balance Now tightly packed. The Nike grip is also light as fuck even on the paper compare to any grip I've felt before, it's also pretty floopy/easily rolled (but not ripped). Yes, it really looks that salt and peppery. Going to set it up tonight.

[close]

&

Expand Quote
Been awhile since I've had a cruiser I feel excited about. I had a little mini cruiser set up but I realized I still like to be able to ollie and do some tricks when out 'cruising.'

Anyway, wheel wells were key for this one. Shin Surf shape (Jnr I believe), Ace Classic 44s, Boserio OJ mini juice and Big Ballz 6ball bearings. Stoked to go no risers for once. Scraps of Jessup and some recycled Nike rubber/ Jessup crap (not recommended for gripping a full board with)

[close]

Thank you for the explanation. It is clear for me ..

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 11:24:57 AM »
Update:

Got the grip a bit wet today. Almost completely lost its grip. Terrible feeling. After drying out it was grippy as fuck again. Also tore(smudged) a small piece off from the tail somehow. It looks like it can’t take any abuse. It also looks like you’ll probably never get it off the deck if you’d like to change the grip. I’ll stick to the basic Jessup Ultragrip from now on. That grip is fantastic.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
Update:

Got the grip a bit wet today. Almost completely lost its grip. Terrible feeling. After drying out it was grippy as fuck again. Also tore(smudged) a small piece off from the tail somehow. It looks like it can’t take any abuse. It also looks like you’ll probably never get it off the deck if you’d like to change the grip. I’ll stick to the basic Jessup Ultragrip from now on. That grip is fantastic.

How rough is it on suede and shoe rubber?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 12:38:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Update:

[close]

How rough is it on suede and shoe rubber?

The shoes I’m skating right now are very worn down already and I’ve patched them up with hot melt glue so it’s quite hard to estimate. I would estimate that it wears down shoes less but I can’t confirm.

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »
Proof if ever it were needed that shoe and griptape companies are in collusion.

#Gripgate
-Summer of George-