Author Topic: The shitty truck thread  (Read 27729 times)

SpankerChief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
Re: The shitty truck thread
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
It seems as if all other trucks after Thunder Venture and Independent are just knock offs. They might have a decent turning radius or be a tad hair short of being a top truck but as evidence has shown. Those top three are the best.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Diocletian

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »
Once I rode my first set of Ace’s many years ago, they’ve successfully made every set of any other brand of trucks feel like shit. Once I got used to the snappy, deep, hair trigger turning and smooth grinds, no truck has been able to match it. They feel how a truck should feel, anything else is unnatural and weird. Quality control is undoubtedly still a problem but not like it used to be. Latest run of Indy standards at my local say made in China on the axle tags, so no real reason to have blind loyalty to an inferior geometry, since the USA made appeal is forever gone.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
Once I rode my first set of Ace’s many years ago, they’ve successfully made every set of any other brand of trucks feel like shit. Once I got used to the snappy, deep, hair trigger turning and smooth grinds, no truck has been able to match it. They feel how a truck should feel, anything else is unnatural and weird. Quality control is undoubtedly still a problem but not like it used to be. Latest run of Indy standards at my local say made in China on the axle tags, so no real reason to have blind loyalty to an inferior geometry, since the USA made appeal is forever gone.

I have to admit that I came to the same conclusion. I oscillated between Indys and Thunders for a long time, and after reading the 41 pages Ace topic on Slap, I gave a try to Aces 44s and 55s. And I'm pretty sure that I've reached a point of no return. Whereas I find that Thunders have their own identity that makes them unique from everything else and I can still enjoy them for what they are, in another hand I find that Indys are pretty cheap and clumsy compared to Aces, and I will never ride Indys again.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2019, 07:06:28 PM »
I am tempted to try Aces I had tried a friends board and they were the first ones and had issues.  The bushings are bones I think and the hangers seem really thin.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2019, 03:45:13 PM »
fucking gullwings were the worst trucks i ever had. i also had monster trucks but they were actually alright.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
Did anyone ever skate San Deigo trucks? They were the worst I've ever had...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have to admit that I came to the same conclusion. I oscillated between Indys and Thunders for a long time, and after reading the 41 pages Ace topic on Slap, I gave a try to Aces 44s and 55s. And I'm pretty sure that I've reached a point of no return. Whereas I find that Thunders have their own identity that makes them unique from everything else and I can still enjoy them for what they are, in another hand I find that Indys are pretty cheap and clumsy compared to Aces, and I will never ride Indys again.

My problem with Thunders is the turn is misleading. You feel like you’re getting an Ace-like turn at first and then a split second later it just tips over and bottoms out. And even though they’re supposedly the same aluminum as venture and Indy, I’ve found them to be really sticky on grinds. Whether it’s coping or curbs, they just freeze up and throw me off my board. No other truck has done that.

I am tempted to try Aces I had tried a friends board and they were the first ones and had issues.  The bushings are bones I think and the hangers seem really thin.

Try them out man, hangers are pretty beefy now.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
Ace are sick. I liked my first gen 33s. Current stage 44s are also good, but I can’t skate the bigger size for shit.
I’m back on 147s, this week, and they feel good for the pop/flip. Next week will be something different.
I’ve had great times on royals, so wtf do I know.

Black Frycook

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2019, 10:08:59 AM »
Anyone ever ride Monster trucks? My mom bought me a complete at some Element store when I was on vacation like 10 years ago and it came with a pair, they were fucking awful

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »

had a set of these with the built in rubber riser pads for about 20 minutes in early 2000s. they didnt turn AT ALL so I returned them wherever i bought them on e-bay. I think this was before my first pro complete, which had tensors  ;D

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2019, 03:40:18 PM »
Anyone ever ride Monster trucks? My mom bought me a complete at some Element store when I was on vacation like 10 years ago and it came with a pair, they were fucking awful

fucking gullwings were the worst trucks i ever had. i also had monster trucks but they were actually alright.

...compared to shit gullwings.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2019, 06:52:50 PM »

had a set of these with the built in rubber riser pads for about 20 minutes in early 2000s. they didnt turn AT ALL so I returned them wherever i bought them on e-bay. I think this was before my first pro complete, which had tensors  ;D
Ah, beat me to it. I had these for a few days. Borrowed a board from a friend when I was starting. These sucked. He liked them for some reason and had a few different pairs. He switched to Monster trucks when the base kept breaking.

aciddrop

• Rep: -2
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2019, 05:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hahaha I remember that and thinking to myself (for maybe a total of 3 seconds) that seems like a cool idea but yeah ...

Tracker had some shockers didn't they? Remember Tracker aggros? *shudders*
Or what about those all plastic looking ones they did back in the 80's vert days?

My worst pair was probably a brand called "San Diego Trucks"
Remember when super indie brands like Milk and Acme etc. seemed cool in 92? Yeah well I splurged on a pair of these trucks and they were terrible...
What about the whole floating axle gimmick? LOL

what didnt you like about Aggros?

i had a pair (still do) and never had an issue. and on an acme deck ;)

robby13

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
I bought Shalom’s first pro truck with venture (pink, black, and baby blue) in 2007. I was hyped because it was a south beach colorway and I was living in Miami at the time. I set them up, went skating, and a kingpin nut and one wheel nut came off multiple times within the sesh and the threads got so fucked up I couldn’t put the nuts back on. I didn’t skate ridiculously loose or even that good in general. It might’ve been a defective truck but I refuse to skate Ventures ever again.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
I bought Shalom’s first pro truck with venture (pink, black, and baby blue) in 2007. I was hyped because it was a south beach colorway and I was living in Miami at the time. I set them up, went skating, and a kingpin nut and one wheel nut came off multiple times within the sesh and the threads got so fucked up I couldn’t put the nuts back on. I didn’t skate ridiculously loose or even that good in general. It might’ve been a defective truck but I refuse to skate Ventures ever again.

In all fairness to Venture, they would have been with Street Corner distribution at that time, and were pretty known for having issues. They've been at DLX/Ermico since....2011? Quality/reliability isn't an issue anymore.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:28:15 PM by palelight »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
Did anyone ever have these?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:27:07 PM by Jud Nestorkins »

feedmeseymour

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
That's the kind of truck that someone who wants to skate but loves his longboard would use.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »

boy do they like trying to polish a turd, those things look like they suck dick......... not just any kind of dick like sweaty wrongboarders dong. yuck those look like shit I'd rather skate with those Core trucks compared to these....

feedmeseymour

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
boy do they like trying to polish a turd, those things look like they suck dick......... not just any kind of dick like sweaty wrongboarders dong. yuck those look like shit I'd rather skate with those Core trucks compared to these....

this kid at my local was running them for a while and i would always tease him about them and offer my old trucks, but he was convinced they were sick. i tried skating them, it was awful.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

this kid at my local was running them for a while and i would always tease him about them and offer my old trucks, but he was convinced they were sick. i tried skating them, it was awful.
so do they slide? can they actually preform apart from having the novelty of shitty longboard truck? 

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
so do they slide? can they actually preform apart from having the novelty of shitty longboard truck?

A German bloke skates these at the local mini. That’s the only place I’ve seen him skate, but he goes alright on them. I asked him about them, and he’d been off the board for years before getting an eBay setup with these trucks, so I don’t think he knows any better. He seems happy, so whatever.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I did a smith on a qp cause that’s my go to, it felt sketchy but then again I skate dumb loose Indy’s. So Yeah these things grind, but as for slides I’m not sure, that little plate that would slide on nose or tail has a weird angle or maybe it’s just all in my head cause it’s a weird design.

The kid that had them enjoyed them and isn’t bad at skating at all so shalom to him I guess

Dustwardprez

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
It seems as if all other trucks after Thunder Venture and Independent are just knock offs. They might have a decent turning radius or be a tad hair short of being a top truck but as evidence has shown. Those top three are the best.

But venture and thunder started out as an indy clones. Indy was a tracker/Bennett knock off to begin with and Indy knocked tracker again when stage 5? Came out.

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »
I traded some gear with a local heshdad tm and ended up with some tracker six tracks. I thought they were totally bunk at first but after breaking them in i was pleasantly surprised by them, they're pretty low but they turn deep and grind well they aren't half bad for a cruiser setup, plus Danforth swears by them so that's good enough for me. As for shitty trucks i still have some 7.5 grindkings gathering dust in a shoebox, they just feel icky.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
I find ventures are great in terms of stability and staying centered but the 5.0 low's that I have don't turn very well at all so they're best suited for flat ground or ledges where you can just sorta line up next to it. Even when I tried riding them loose with soft doh-dohs there were still times I'd almost miss the left turn onto my street if I was riding along at a decent clip in the left lane like I usually do on my way home. One thing I do really like about them is if you tighten them up they're pretty forgiving on drops and stair sets when you don't land bolts and I've had barely any wheel bite issues even with 54s which is surprising for a low truck.

I love to shit on Tensor as much as the next guy but the truth is their new geometry is actually pretty good once you swap the flaming turd bushings out for some bones. I tried some of the old ones with the stupid base slider gimmick back in the day and they were a steamy, bloody c-diff infested pile of shit but I've been riding the new mag lights ever since I got them basically for free with a deck and I've actually grown kinda fond of them. Obviously they're light as fuck which is nice when you have old man legs but they grind really well even on crusty curbs and they turn pretty good. Not indy good, but better than my ventures. The only real downfall to them besides the stock bushings is they seem to be kinda soft and they're wearing down pretty fast so I've dialed back on my pre/post work commute slappy detours.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
^ Totally agree with you about the Tensors, maybe not better turn than Indy, but way sharper. They turn just like Thunders, but somehow a hair faster/sharper. They are basically high Thunders with a pushed out baseplate, which is lovely. They would probably be SUPER well received if they were made by Thunder. I put the Thunder 90a bushings with no bottom washer and it felt great. I just wish the mags were slightly heavier, or the aluminum ones were slightly lighter, and I wish they were like 2-3mm lower.

SpankerChief

• Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
Years ago I was in Brazil and I had a set up with some ventures on it and I broke the hangers. Well I went to a skate shop somewhere around the area, I found a Brazilian? brand of trucks called Diarrhea they had a guy in a sombrero taking a shit. I wish I had kept them as they were decent but the axles bent shortly before I gave them away. Anyone ever heard of those trucks? They were a Thunder knockoffs.

https://sektaskate.blogspot.com/2008/12/trucks-diarrhea.html?m=1
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:52:57 AM by SpankerChief »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
mArLeY

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
I traded some gear with a local heshdad tm and ended up with some tracker six tracks. I thought they were totally bunk at first but after breaking them in i was pleasantly surprised by them, they're pretty low but they turn deep and grind well they aren't half bad for a cruiser setup, plus Danforth swears by them so that's good enough for me. As for shitty trucks i still have some 7.5 grindkings gathering dust in a shoebox, they just feel icky.

I’m old. How old is Danforth?!? He skated old, when he was young. Maybe a sick guy that’s just one dude I didn’t get. I was real young but damn.