Author Topic: Portland, Maine  (Read 2483 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Portland, Maine
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
I'm going to see Mac DeMarco tomorrow night in Portland and I wanted to get there pretty early and skate around, or skate after the show since I've never been before. Are there any fun street spots I should check out? I know there's a skatepark but that doesn't seem as interesting as doing some exploring in a new place. I know this is pretty last minute but I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks for any help!

Rusty_Berrings

Re: Portland, Maine
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
I'd get drunk and go skate the industrial areas down by the ocean. I found a nice manny pad with these two dudes some ten years ago when I wnet to art school there for a month. The ground was a little shit mostly all over the place but I bet you'll have fun.

pistachio

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this place. What is the skate scene like here, if any? street spots? any local shop similar to labor, seasons, andrew, humidity? all the ones i can find sell snowboards n shit. any local vids to give me more of an idea would be appreciated too.

The town has spot throughout and is a good place to cruise and explore with the intention of finding things as you go. There’s a skatepark near town and a few within twenty miles of Portland. When are you gonna be here? There’s definitely some snow on the ground now, and I can give you locations of a few spots if you wanna PM me.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this place. What is the skate scene like here, if any? street spots? any local shop similar to labor, seasons, andrew, humidity? all the ones i can find sell snowboards n shit. any local vids to give me more of an idea would be appreciated too.

Portlands scene is kinda iffy. I guess similar to most "cities" ive been to. Pretty cliquey but at the same time if you know someone it can be very welcoming. At this point there is only one shop, mocean. Longs was around for a while but recently announced they are closing. theres a lot of spots downtown and a park (probably snowy) on st james st. theres a couple local videos ill link here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qN1x5abWKg&t=1149s
this one has mostly portland spots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7FxbmANoB0&t=627s
this one has a lot of spots around maine, NH and RI, but mostly portland area spots.

if youre looking for any spots in particualr pm me id be happy to help you out. also if you want the real crust and better spots in my opinion check out lewiston. only about a 40 minute drive up I-95 and a lot more really cool places to skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wjz19JkFoo

This video was exclusively filmed in lewiston and freaking BANGS

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
if youre looking for any spots in particualr pm me id be happy to help you out. also if you want the real crust and better spots in my opinion check out lewiston. only about a 40 minute drive up I-95 and a lot more really cool places to skate.

I skated Lewiston a ton around 1990-1991 and had a lot of fun.  That was long before the skatepark existed and we spent a bunch of time near the various parking garages, on Lisbon St, and would skate the stairs at Bates college until security would kick us out - usually after about 10 minutes.

That said, we would hit up Portland once every 6-8 weeks.  I recall the stairs between the high school and the parking garage being big (for the time).  I think 9?

There were nice stairs and a planter at 4 City Center - and we would get kicked out within 5 minutes.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6572941,-70.2568804,3a,60y,312.32h,78.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swNE1M3arArL9mWRzCXPzvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated Lewiston a ton around 1990-1991 and had a lot of fun.  That was long before the skatepark existed and we spent a bunch of time near the various parking garages, on Lisbon St, and would skate the stairs at Bates college until security would kick us out - usually after about 10 minutes.

That said, we would hit up Portland once every 6-8 weeks.  I recall the stairs between the high school and the parking garage being big (for the time).  I think 9?

There were nice stairs and a planter at 4 City Center - and we would get kicked out within 5 minutes.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6572941,-70.2568804,3a,60y,312.32h,78.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swNE1M3arArL9mWRzCXPzvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Most of those spots are actually on or around Lisbon st. Bates has become less of a bust in the recent years, I’ve definitely been chased out of there by security a good amount of times growing up though. They’ve actually built a lot of good new spots within the last 10 years as well.

Yeah the PHS set is a 9. That sets pretty much off the beaten path at this point. Some people still try some things down it, but its kinda a bust so people generally try to skate something else. 4 city center actually kinda had the same fate. Mostly cause bikers chunked the ledge out so bad it doesn’t lock for really anything. They just redid a few spots around there though that are super fun.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »
Most of those spots are actually on or around Lisbon st. Bates has become less of a bust in the recent years, I’ve definitely been chased out of there by security a good amount of times growing up though. They’ve actually built a lot of good new spots within the last 10 years as well.

Yeah the PHS set is a 9. That sets pretty much off the beaten path at this point. Some people still try some things down it, but its kinda a bust so people generally try to skate something else. 4 city center actually kinda had the same fate. Mostly cause bikers chunked the ledge out so bad it doesn’t lock for really anything. They just redid a few spots around there though that are super fun.

One night around 11pm we were skating to Bates and bitching about security.  Then we heard some other skaters sitting on a curb say "you wanna piss off the security guards?"    Of course we said yes.  There were some construction saw-horses around and we blocked 3 of the four roads surrounding campus with them.  Cars were driving onto lawns to get around them.

After 10 or so minutes the dude walked up to one of the security phones and said "Hey, there are some kids that blocked off the roads.  And if you want to catch us you better run!"   

The chase was on.  Security called it into the Lewiston police. We had security, cops in cars, cops on bikes and cops on foot after us.  We'd come hauling ass around one corner only to see someone coming towards us.   At one point I was in the front of the line of us skaters heading down a hill.  One of the other skaters yelled "turn right" and immediately after I did he yelled "No - left!!!", but I was already on my way right.  Cops were coming on us fast so I had to commit and go solo.

I ended up hiding between a shrub and a building, laying as still as possible.  I could see cop feet directly on the other side of the shrub walking up and down looking for me.  I don't know how long I was there - maybe 10 minutes?

I then headed back to our car.  This was pre cell phones and we had no way to communicate.  I had no idea if the other guys had been arrested or not and all I could do was wait.  They showed up after another half hour.  One of the other skaters lived right beside the college and they had all gone to his house to lay low.

Good times.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »
im in maine for a few, gotta say i was hoping for more than 10+ year old tales of a 9 set. Cmon mainers, whats the spots to eat, see some shows, see some ish? any skateparks or spots to session besides big hammer spots? please and thanks.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 07:41:13 PM »
not a mainer but have spent time in portland. the little park in town is worth an hour or two. the bowl isn’t bad for an old municipal jawn. bombing the hills downtown is super fun. there’s a lot of ledges i saw walkin around but never skated. go to peak island, the ferry is cheap and it’s really cool.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
thanks @wane brady ! gonna check that ferry. waves are flat and ita humid.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 03:06:22 AM »
is mocean still the only shop out here?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 08:48:35 AM »

naw sals skateshop in south portland just opened last month. Backwoods in auburn is alright. honestly i think thats pretty much it though.

mindfuzz

• Rep: 33
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 02:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

naw sals skateshop in south portland just opened last month. Backwoods in auburn is alright. honestly i think thats pretty much it though.

Not Portland but down in Portsmouth Voyageur is pretty awesome.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 01:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not Portland but down in Portsmouth Voyageur is pretty awesome.

voyageur rules def #1 in the area

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »
just moved up here recently, any good street spots or DIYs around here that ya'll locals would recommend?

appreciate all the new skateparks and expansions they've been doing around the area, but looking for something more plaza-y, or some good ledges at least. It's like all bowls/transition here lol

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 08:37:58 AM »
just moved up here recently, any good street spots or DIYs around here that ya'll locals would recommend?

appreciate all the new skateparks and expansions they've been doing around the area, but looking for something more plaza-y, or some good ledges at least. It's like all bowls/transition here lol

Lewiston is my favorite area for street spots. There was a small DIY under the 295 bridge across the bay from the baked bean factory with a ledge but that got ripped out cause of some bullshit recently. Still a little quarter under there tho. Biddeford has two city sanctioned DIY parks that are pretty fun (rotary and clifford). As for like local portland spots the only ones i really skate often are the deering st ledges and the deering oaks fountain when its empty.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever wanna link up and skate too i can definitely get you to more cutty spots like that.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 10:17:27 AM »
5G

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 10:19:51 AM »

Pastasash

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 06:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lewiston is my favorite area for street spots. There was a small DIY under the 295 bridge across the bay from the baked bean factory with a ledge but that got ripped out cause of some bullshit recently. Still a little quarter under there tho. Biddeford has two city sanctioned DIY parks that are pretty fun (rotary and clifford). As for like local portland spots the only ones i really skate often are the deering st ledges and the deering oaks fountain when its empty.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever wanna link up and skate too i can definitely get you to more cutty spots like that.

Nice, thanks for the info man! Yeah I found that QP under the bridge while on a walk lol, shame they took out the ledge, but noticed another old wooden one around the corner too.

Definitely need to check out those DIYs in Biddeford, and those ledges on deering st look fun too, is there a high bust factor there or do people leave you alone?

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »
pretty much no bust at either of those, I have had some super weird kickouts at deering st before but its always kinda like isolated incedents and a good 95% of the time i skate there theres no issue. theres also a really cool cat on the first floor of that house that will watch the whole session hahaha

Pastasash

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 07:53:01 AM »
pretty much no bust at either of those, I have had some super weird kickouts at deering st before but its always kinda like isolated incedents and a good 95% of the time i skate there theres no issue. theres also a really cool cat on the first floor of that house that will watch the whole session hahaha

haha sweet, love a good audience.

noticed clips on Sal's IG of people skating a warehouse spot, is that in Portland too and open to the public?

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2023, 06:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry to resurrect this on you but I'm in Lewiston! And looking for people to skate with, I'm old and suck but I'm currently teaching myself slappies.  The Target in Auburn is my curb spot right now. 

I've met up with folks from the MSA and did some volunteering at contests last year, but I've only been up here for a couple years and looking for some homies to skate with more often.