Author Topic: We Are Blood.  (Read 31672 times)

Casey Jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
We Are Blood.
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
attended the premiere tonight. the tricks were much higher caliber than i anticipated. not going to spoil it, but watching jordan maxham going for a few frontside flip attempts at el toro with epic 4k and ty evans filming was pretty amazing...

overall i thought it was a good film. the dubai footage was incredible. p-rod's narrations weren't that bad. the filming was top notch. ty had an arsenal of gear and it's obvious he used all of it.

this is the smallest thing, but the only thing i didn't like were the extreme wide angle shots. he used a lot of wide angle with the Red for filming lines, and instead of barrel distortion, it was like this really hideous stretching effect. maybe i'm just too used to fisheye barrel distortion but it made me kind of nauseous.

would watch again

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
Re: We Are Blood.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:48:13 AM »
So what is the slow motion high five to trick ratio in this, can you ballpark it?

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »

I am not.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:42:41 AM by Cosme »

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:25:38 AM »
If inanimate objects could speak I imagine you would hear the title of this movie being chanted from Chase Gabor's toolbox all the time

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:13 AM »
This douche needs to go back to directing music videos  

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »
I like how one of the silhouettes in the banner ads they've been running is a 400 lb dude who def doesn't skate. Do you suppose Ty saw the irony of financing his film about brotherhood with cash from the same people who are treating the migrant workers like hamburger in modernizing Dubai? Or is that where the blood part comes from?

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:49:06 AM »
Reminds me of Road Less Traveled, which I prefer greatly over WaB, I feel like it captured more authentically the lifestyles of skateboarding with out crossing the line into corniness.
Speaking of corniness it seems to me after watching WaB if skateboarding is made too clean cut, that it actually starts crossing that thin line into corny territory, like with scooter kids, and longboarders.
I think skateboarding has to stay some what raw, and crusty to uphold its authentic appeal - because that's what set it apart in the first place. It's not like basketball, or golf, or any other sport, once it's all super HD and filmed by helicopters, it becomes just like anything else, and we become athlete jocks again.
I'm not saying that the feeling of brotherhood isn't there, but we don't need to exploit that quality of skateboarding, then it becomes phony.
I say just let the kids who need that escape from mainstream bullshit find skating, and let them discover the experience on their own without having this preconceived idea about it, that's why skating was rad for me, everyone else in life tells us how to behave, and think, and what to believe in, and skateboarding was this crack in the system where you could get away from it all, and just be yourself, and be the craziest fucking version of yourself, and feel fucking cool being you, and not feel pressure to fucking be just like john doe, just cause john doe is a well adjusted, and comfortably living member of the society.
Fuck the society, And fuck john doe! But to each their own :)

Ps. Perfect gift for babies first skate video!

Ps.ps. I am so grateful that Vans hired Greg Hunt to do the Vans video, good job Vans.

ps.ps.ps. Sorry for being so corny.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
This seems like a good place to put this.
Tiago gets his first cover.
And no one cares. He's probably bummed. Bet he would have preferred to have a real trick.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »
dont ever apologize for being corny, reallygudsk8rkid

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »
i feel like this video is more to showcase ty filming with expensive gear in exotic and lavish countries than it is to show skating.

rideflannel

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

whoami

• Rep: -43
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
So after watching this it's become 100% clear Ty is why the last couple of Crail videos were so blah. I would imagine this is already a sentiment, but now it's just painfully obvious. We can argue its the newer guys, the lack of the older guys, we can even say most of his vids were ok/good, but they would have been better if Meza would have handled them.

...and I'm not sure why, but exploring is way better to watch when the budget is smaller.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:03:12 AM by whoami »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
I haven't seen it, but after reading a mini interview on Chris Coulbourn, the interviewer said he heard that Chris has 2 parts worth of footage not used that's going to be put into parts on the bonus of the DVD. That sounds way more appealing than the actual movie, so I hope that's true of him and some of the other dudes in it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

pinch a loaf

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Can't figure out why david loy got so much shine in this, don't think he did one trick. Funny to see the expressions on some guys faces when holding boards in the air, they just look super over it. I had to stop at 45 minutes last night and finish the rest today. But I'd say it was pretty good, I'll watch it again in a few weeks.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
^^^^Is it over an hour long?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
dear god the commentary is terrible. Skating is really good. Pops footy, forrest footy is pretty crazy

pinch a loaf

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
1 hr 30 mins

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »
I haven't seen it, but after reading a mini interview on Chris Coulbourn, the interviewer said he heard that Chris has 2 parts worth of footage not used that's going to be put into parts on the bonus of the DVD. That sounds way more appealing than the actual movie, so I hope that's true of him and some of the other dudes in it.
the itunes download is "dvd-style" with extras and shit, which are photo gallery, the rv road trip, behind the scenes china, behind the scenes dubai, and the trailer. i really hope there's some kind of bones released of just the skating, because it's pretty incredible.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
1 hr 30 mins

Wow......Ty made a fucking movie.

I guess I'll download it when I get home. As much as Ty isn't liked, I still kind of dig his over the top stuff. I would imagine the places they went compliment his style.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
It's gonna be popular to hate, but it's not that bad...rad skating anyway.  It's exactly TITA and Art of Flight, but skateboarding, which makes me wonder how much input Curt Morgan had, because it's exactly his style. 

They start off with Battery by Metallica, then the soundtrack goes to shit.  Brain Farm always does that...first song, some good metal...then an hour of shit.  I usually don't mind music.  I appreciate music, and it REALLY can make a part extra good when it's on point, but it rarely ever bothers me.  This one though...there were several times the music was distractingly bad.  When are editors going to learn that just because a song might be good to edit to, doesn't make it good?

Also in Brain Farm fashion, there's an ender during the credits...don't miss that.

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
There was a Pappalardo cameo where he talks about still having the desire to skate even if hes not sponsored. Then he ollies off a ledge into a mellow bank or something.

abudabi

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
so jordan maxham didnt land that frontside flip?

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

Inspector Muska approves

pinch a loaf

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
Why is Ty always mean muggin and fist pumpin in cheif keef stance?

zippy z

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 03:57:11 PM »
I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who saw it and is a P Rod fan that the narrative gets old and because it sounds like a motivational speech for non-skaters to understand and get jazzed on how awesome skating and skaters are.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
Just saw it. Without really getting into it, I found it entertaining enough. Definitely would be that video that skater's parents would love to see that would enlighten them on how this culture is. But if I was to really break it down, there was so much wrong as there was so much right. Skating was good and I loved how there was a blend of skaters that you'd never really see hanging out all in a van together. At times, it was like some epic Transworld video where a someone like P-Rod would skate with a guy like Clint Walker in a crazy place like Dubai. Then there were the things that were bad. Music was pretty lame, there were scenes that were only done for the epicness of capturing it (bench skating on the top of a building in Dubai) and things like the montage skaters falling just didn't add to anything and made the video way longer than it should. Wide angle lens thing was annoying but I found the drone captures cool when they weren't so high up in the air. I felt like this is how Ty wanted to film Pretty Sweet if he had the budget. Like have it even more major if he could of. Overall, it was worth a watch......not sure if it is worth the download price. Some good skating though even from people I don't care for. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

abudabi

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
anybody wanna make a rough guess at how much of this is quality skating?

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »

yungtaco

• Rep: 10
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »