Author Topic: Concave talk  (Read 10882 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Concave talk
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
I'm looking for the deepest concave available to man in size 8 - 8.25, who makes a good shape? It seems impossible to find a deep board with a decent sized tail.

Any help is really appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:06:35 PM by Deekay »

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
Re: Concave talk
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:05:26 PM »
By deep you mean steep ? If so, this is what a Scumco deep dish shapes looks like :

... now the tricky part is to find a shop that sells one, unless you're willing to gamble your satisfaction with an online store.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
+1 for Scumco's Deep Dish.  Another one is the Hammer Concave from Hammers.  Pics of both are below

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:43:07 PM by BMCsteve »

foureyedjim

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Hopps lion concave

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
Some PS pressed Habitats as well

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
By deep you mean steep ? If so, this is what a Scumco deep dish shapes looks like :

... now the tricky part is to find a shop that sells one, unless you're willing to gamble your satisfaction with an online store.

Damn man.  I love deep/steep concave, but that's pretty crazy.  I'll have to try it for my next board if I can.

EDIT: How can you tell which concave a Scumco board is using?  I know they have three different types.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
I say it all the time but Scumco needs to make boards with longer wheelbases, especially with concave like that; every deck in their lineup is built for short people :) 14" WB on an 8.5"?  ::)

Everything is mellow to flat these days.

Powell/Mini logo K15 (if you can find them).

Bamboo Sk8 (don't be discount them because of the bamboo, it skates as good as any other companies boards, if not better due to the pop these things have).

Some Black labels use steep molds (usually shaped decks).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:31:36 PM by Xen »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
Everyone knows Element featherlight has the most concave cause that's what Reese Forbes skates.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
best ive found in a while for steep is: scumco deepdish, and anything southcentral steep. also hopps regular is my choice instead of lion. lion feels flat until the edges then super steep. regular hopps is steep all around.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »

Those photos look ridiculous, like scumco is making fun of deep concaves. A top deck photo would be appreciated, because I'm in the same boat with OP, decks are so flat now with no concave choice

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 12:08:23 AM »
I can vouch for the scumco deep dish being a great board, it was so steep it took a session or two to get used to,  but I fell in love with it. Their website lists what boards come in what concave and I think some are labeled at skate shops.  I had the Kevin Taylor guest board.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 12:55:47 AM »
what about Real ? they have nice shapes too, loved the 8.25 Ramondetta i had

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 03:18:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips! I can get hopps boards here but Scumco is alot harder. I'll try to get ahold of a deep dish scumco, otherwise I'll try the lion concave I guess.

BMCsteve

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips! I can get hopps boards here but Scumco is alot harder. I'll try to get ahold of a deep dish scumco, otherwise I'll try the lion concave I guess.

The lion is their flatter, more mellow concave.  You want the regular Hopps/Chapman concave

I actually spoke to Jahmal and here is how he described the Lion concave -
The Lion Cave is based of what I was looking for personally in a concave which was something with a quick pop and on the mellow side.  The concave has a spoon kicked nose and tail that offers a good feel for board control.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 04:58:35 AM »
I've never owned the scumco deep dish but my friend had one and I cruised on it for a minute and generally steep concave isnt really my thing because they almost seem cheap (that may not make sense they just feel funny to me) but those felt quality.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 05:45:02 AM »
and anything southcentral steep.

+1 for this. Definitely steep concave. I love South Central boards, they are probably the most rigid boards you can buy. Really rigid that hold their shape forever. If I've been riding a BBS/Generator board for awhile and get back on a South Central I have a small adjustment period bc they're so steep.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
I've never owned the scumco deep dish but my friend had one and I cruised on it for a minute and generally steep concave isnt really my thing because they almost seem cheap (that may not make sense they just feel funny to me) but those felt quality.

That's odd you say that because I've found that the flatter a board is, the cheaper it feels (and even sounds) to me.

I had an early run Traffic years ago and I remember thinking it felt like a Walmart board when I first started skating it and the pop sounded waterlogged almost because it was so flat.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The lion is their flatter, more mellow concave.  You want the regular Hopps/Chapman concave

I actually spoke to Jahmal and here is how he described the Lion concave -
The Lion Cave is based of what I was looking for personally in a concave which was something with a quick pop and on the mellow side.  The concave has a spoon kicked nose and tail that offers a good feel for board control.

Thanks man, good looking out

Expand Quote
and anything southcentral steep.
[close]

+1 for this. Definitely steep concave. I love South Central boards, they are probably the most rigid boards you can buy. Really rigid that hold their shape forever. If I've been riding a BBS/Generator board for awhile and get back on a South Central I have a small adjustment period bc they're so steep.

Who uses south central now? I thought 5boro switched to them and Coda but the websites I've seen says they're Chapman...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
Could be outdated info:

Hammers
Pocket Pistols (sometimes)
Politic
Bacon
Dieta
Northern Co
Merde
5boro (?)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's odd you say that because I've found that the flatter a board is, the cheaper it feels (and even sounds) to me.

I had an early run Traffic years ago and I remember thinking it felt like a Walmart board when I first started skating it and the pop sounded waterlogged almost because it was so flat.

Never seen a price point board w. hell concave.....

I skated a few regular Hopps boards...steep and heavy....I liked them for sure. 

Any direction on which companies do a generator/bb or PS Stix deeper concave?  I like the wood...they definitely run a good medium but I need something a hair steeper.  I think they've all mellowed in the last bit.....

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
that Deep Dish scumco looks nuts... might be up my alley.  their Silver Spoon concave was one of the best shapes I've ever ridden.  thank god they label that stuff on the website so you know what you're ordering.

this Mike Anderson board I got off a buddy has some serious fucking concave, and is 8.25, track one down:

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
flat boards are fucking weak.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »
Looking at and measuring boards in the shop for 14 years I've learned that generalizing about concave and kick is kinda tough, because I have ordered 6 of the same board and 2 of them were identical, the rest ranged from way too deep to slightly flat.
Some woodshops press 20-30 boards at a time and where they fall in the pile determines the depth and degree of kick on the nose/tail/concave.
I couldn't imagine ordering 1 board online and hoping it worked for a nutcase like me. I've become accustomed to laying boards down side by side and measuring from flat the concave and kick of the nose and tail. I think I have what I prefer dialed but can make something a little steeper work too.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
When I started skating I loved steep boards. Then as I kept skating I slowly transitioned to flatter boards. Nowadays I prefer a board that has a medium concave but definitely one that is steeper than it is flat. I just can't make certain flip tricks work anymore with flat boards. Not sure how I did it before. I stood on some old shapes I used to ride a few years back and I'm not sure how I did it, they were so flat.

MonistatOne

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
Stupid question: so "concave" refers to how deep it is across the top of the board (widthwise), right? or is it how much of a dip there is before the nose and tail? or both?

On a side note, it's surprising to me that the Hopps lion concave is the MELLOWER shape they have. Skating my first one now and it seems steep as shit.  It got me thinking that I've never skated a flatter board, so I bought a toy machine that looks pretty flat; it's a little longer (32.75) with a pretty round nose/tail. Hoping I'll like it.

What companies make flatter boards? Girl/Chocolate? Flip? Toy?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
To me I refer to it as the steepness of the entire board, since it is a mold that determines the concave (side to side) and kick(length).
But yes to most people concave and kick are separate but to me they are for sure related and the same thing.
Some brands do offer a steep nose, flatter tail and moderate concave. So because a board has deep concave doesn;t always mean they nose and tail are also steep, that can be engineered I suppose.
I would love to pick the brain of a woodshop guy.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Stupid question: so "concave" refers to how deep it is across the top of the board (widthwise), right? or is it how much of a dip there is before the nose and tail? or both?

On a side note, it's surprising to me that the Hopps lion concave is the MELLOWER shape they have. Skating my first one now and it seems steep as shit.  It got me thinking that I've never skated a flatter board, so I bought a toy machine that looks pretty flat; it's a little longer (32.75) with a pretty round nose/tail. Hoping I'll like it.

What companies make flatter boards? Girl/Chocolate? Flip? Toy?
Foundation boards are the flattest i have ever seen

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »
I haven't ridden one of the new Quasi presses but Mother had some good concave that I hope found it's way over.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »
May be just their image but the last Anti-Hero I had was really steep. This is going back about seven years or so though...

Are rockers now obsolete? Never really understood their purpose...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
The 4 BLVD's I've had, have all had a lot of concave.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.