Author Topic: Concave talk  (Read 10949 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Re: Concave talk
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
May be just their image but the last Anti-Hero I had was really steep. This is going back about seven years or so though...

Are rockers now obsolete? Never really understood their purpose...
what exactly is "rocker concave"?

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Stupid question: so "concave" refers to how deep it is across the top of the board (widthwise), right? or is it how much of a dip there is before the nose and tail? or both?

On a side note, it's surprising to me that the Hopps lion concave is the MELLOWER shape they have. Skating my first one now and it seems steep as shit.  It got me thinking that I've never skated a flatter board, so I bought a toy machine that looks pretty flat; it's a little longer (32.75) with a pretty round nose/tail. Hoping I'll like it.

What companies make flatter boards? Girl/Chocolate? Flip? Toy?
[close]
Foundation boards are the flattest i have ever seen

Watson stuff was always really flat.....

Rocker I don't see much....it's where if concave is east/west....rocker is North/south....it's like the space between the trucks there's a slight upward bend.....it felt good on big tank set ups....

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 01:15:21 AM »
Probably wasn't making myself clear. Like J...Soy said it was an arch going from the back to the front truck vertically but typically centered towards the back truck I think. It wasn't a concave as such and it was known as 'a' rocker. Was this a throwback from vert? I'm sure I rode 90's Popsicles with rockers though...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:15 AM »
So like an arch going up TORWARDS your feet? like wht the fuck is that good for? who thought that was good for nothing? and you're telling me there was regular popsicle stick boards with it too

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 06:22:02 AM »
Probably wasn't making myself clear. Like J...Soy said it was an arch going from the back to the front truck vertically but typically centered towards the back truck I think. It wasn't a concave as such and it was known as 'a' rocker. Was this a throwback from vert? I'm sure I rode 90's Popsicles with rockers though...

I might be completely off base, but don't the low pro boards from Real have a slight rocker?
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I might be completely off base, but don't the low pro boards from Real have a slight rocker?

I had one and thought it might have a mellow rocker.

I definitely had late 90's boards with them, I think... A lot of bud though so...

Can any hardcore deck heads clear this up?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had one and thought it might have a mellow rocker.

I definitely had late 90's boards with them, I think... A lot of bud though so...

Can any hardcore deck heads clear this up?
I'm no deck head but the Real low pros do have a rocker. I can't be of any help past that.
http://www.realskateboards.com/contstruction/

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »

Some woodshops press 20-30 boards at a time and where they fall in the pile determines the depth and degree of kick on the nose/tail

I think that's an exaggeration. All woodshops I've seen video or pictures of will press 5-6 boards at a time. 1 board at a time is pretty rare. 

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
Expand Quote

Some woodshops press 20-30 boards at a time and where they fall in the pile determines the depth and degree of kick on the nose/tail

[close]

I think that's an exaggeration. All woodshops I've seen video or pictures of will press 5-6 boards at a time. 1 board at a time is pretty rare. 
theres no press that would be able to get even pressure at 20-30 decks in a single mold. 5-6 is standard but you will see variations. single deck is pretty much only dwindle no?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
That number was what I was told years ago from a local woodshop.
10 probably seems like a realistic number to keep the volume up.

BMCsteve

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 01:30:51 PM »
Standard presses do 5 decks, Dwindle does 1 deck per press and South Central does 3

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
remember that "new wave" concave where the deck was like a ruffles chip. Had a baker with it and it was the worst stuff ever.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »
Standard presses do 5 decks, Dwindle does 1 deck per press and South Central does 3
Cool good to know.
Thanks!

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
I like something sort of like this. Flat-ish in the middle and steep on the edges. But the edges aren't too small like a Crailtap board.

The one Inspectrum deck I've had was kind of like this.

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
I had this polar Hjalte Halberg board once, it was white and it had a burger with pigs inside it. Best board I ever had. Such steep concave, square nose and tail, just all together a perfect board.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 04:49:53 AM »
I had this polar Hjalte Halberg board once, it was white and it had a burger with pigs inside it. Best board I ever had. Such steep concave, square nose and tail, just all together a perfect board.

I had that board too. It was sick but I wouldn't say it had a steep concave at all. Nice board though. I'd recommend trying their P shapes if you like it though. I had a P3 and loved it. Got a couple more Ps to ride too...

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
I had a mini logo that was steep as fuck, way too long though

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »
lately the Krooked 8.18s have a nice medium / steep concave.  I was riding the AH 8.18s, but these Krookeds feel a little steeper.  I'd have thought they were the same mould, but maybe not.  Sticking with these as long as I can find them.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Alright my interest is finally piqued. Anyone do rocker in a wider shape? I don't care if it's an old school single kick I just gotta get down and see if it'll ollie higher for me. I checked out some Real Lo Pro 2's but they only go up to 8.5 where I could find em.

Hannity

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 07:11:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Stupid question: so "concave" refers to how deep it is across the top of the board (widthwise), right? or is it how much of a dip there is before the nose and tail? or both?

On a side note, it's surprising to me that the Hopps lion concave is the MELLOWER shape they have. Skating my first one now and it seems steep as shit.  It got me thinking that I've never skated a flatter board, so I bought a toy machine that looks pretty flat; it's a little longer (32.75) with a pretty round nose/tail. Hoping I'll like it.

What companies make flatter boards? Girl/Chocolate? Flip? Toy?
[close]
Foundation boards are the flattest i have ever seen
i'm riding a Foundation now and it is definitely the flattest i've ridden. i like it though. i've seen other flat boards from Birdhouse, Toy, Zero, Baker. and every Consolidated I've ever seen was pretty steep on the other hand.

that Renaud Politic deck was one of the best I've ridden, perfect medium concave to it and felt roomy.

but now you guys are making me want to try a Hopps or Polar.

Clang

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had that board too. It was sick but I wouldn't say it had a steep concave at all. Nice board though. I'd recommend trying their P shapes if you like it though. I had a P3 and loved it. Got a couple more Ps to ride too...
As cool as shaped boards are, not really into actually skating one

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 02:49:19 AM »
Alright my interest is finally piqued. Anyone do rocker in a wider shape? I don't care if it's an old school single kick I just gotta get down and see if it'll ollie higher for me. I checked out some Real Lo Pro 2's but they only go up to 8.5 where I could find em.

I always thought a rocker was meant to help tricks on a ramp... I could see some Black Label's having them for some reason...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I know, I know. I originally bought a P3 as a cruiser, then ended up skating it as my board. Then got a couple more because it was so good. If you liked that Halberg deck I think you would like them. May depend on how much switch you do though. I've got none!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:53:10 AM by 360 frip »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »
I wouldn't mind if G & S put out an old school shape with motherfucking ROCKER! (to be fair I checked their website to see if this exists)

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 07:05:49 AM »
I think it needs 'a', can't be used as an adjective like concave... Really need to get out more!

Clang

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always thought a rocker was meant to help tricks on a ramp... I could see some Black Label's having them for some reason...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I know, I know. I originally bought a P3 as a cruiser, then ended up skating it as my board. Then got a couple more because it was so good. If you liked that Halberg deck I think you would like them. May depend on how much switch you do though. I've got none!
Terrible at skating switch but I still try

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
I think it needs 'a', can't be used as an adjective like concave... Really need to get out more!
oih haha alright. well i still wanna try it at some point. i imagine it being like "muscles" on the board and only on hosoi hammerhead type shapes.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
Boards did all sorts of weird shit in the 80's....like Alva had a tri tail which was the tips of the tail pointed up higher.....it created like a pocket in the middle of your tail......an old blockhead I had the last inch of the tail went up even steeper.....

Pretty weird gimmicks but I wouldn't be surprised if they come back....

Hannity

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »
Looking to try a new board company that's not South Central since life is short... out of Polar, Quasi and 917, who tends to have the steepest vs. mellowest concave? I had just bought an 8.5 Politic at the shop after really liking the shape of an earlier Renaud board, but this new one had more concave, so the 8.5 felt more like 8.38, not a huge difference but enough to throw me off. So I've found I like a flatter, roomier 8.5 or even an 8.62 with mellow to medium concave (the AH 8.62 Hewitt shape I had last year was one of the best I've ever had... cheers Lenny, that made my year).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:02:12 PM by Hannity »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »
Looking to try a new board company that's not South Central since life is short... out of Polar, Quasi and 917, who tends to have the steepest vs. mellowest concave?

The Polar is definitely going to be the mellowest. Both the Quasi and 917 boards are PS pressed, which are similar feeling concave to South Central, IMO. I consider PS boards to be deep concave. Polar are BBS/GEN and are perfect medium concave. I love South Central boards but I do agree they feel steep. Their boards are really well made and hold their rigidity for so long they rarely flatten or mellow out.