Author Topic: Help with mini ramp - Quarter pipe specs.  (Read 18421 times)

Tufty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
Help with mini ramp - Quarter pipe specs.
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »
 So some dude from a town near mine heard that I helped renovating the old skatepark of my town and he asked me to consult on his designs. The designs are semi-bad and I will try to make as many arrangements as I can to make the skatepark skateworthy. I can handle the street course but the design has also some quarterpipes and a miniramp something I dont have a clue about as all the skateparks in my area have very shitty transitions. The skatepark I renovated had the bowl ready so I didnt redesign it.

Can anyone help? I want to make the quarterpipes and the mini ramp newbie to intermediate level as there arent many skating transitions here. The height of the ramp (5ft) is the only thing given but it can change.   

N.L.

Re: Help with mini ramp - Quarter pipe specs.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »
tight trannies are more rewarding in the long run but people might not dig that in the design process.... maybe 5.5' radius. i'm presuming its wood park?

width. a mini ramp can never be too wide.

Check this little calculator out to give you an idea of what the number equate to...

http://www.xtremeskater.com/ramp-plans/ramp-tool/

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
 No its a cement one. Yeah of course I would love a wide mini but the plan says 12ft and I would love to make it wider. I am talking about minimum width here to have a decent ramp.

It would be useful if someone could tell me what transition radius is fun-good for beginners. The rest I can figure out from the calculator I suppose. Also how much the flat bottom should be so that there is a good momentum?

Calculator is nice I will study it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:36:22 PM by Tufty »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:15:14 PM »
Holy shit 12ft wide. I'm makin a 40" wide thing out of some blocks and a couple bags of quikrete doubt I'll end up calling it a "quarterpipe" though.

N.L.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
if its only going to be 12' wide make it lower than 5'. i wouldn't go much over 3' with something so narrow. 5'5" should be mellow enough radius.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:09:26 PM by N.L. »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:44:56 AM »
 I agree with the above.

On a 5' tall ramp you are going to be eating up 4' or so of horizontal distance when you carve in or out of a grind. Assuming you only grind less than 4', you are still going to be close to falling off the edges. Either build lower or wider.

Also, 8' radius is pretty much your standard very mellow transition. 5.5' on a 5' ramp is not mellow at all. I would dig it but a beginner would not. You can do a tighter transition on a smaller ramp without it being as difficult or intimidating to ride but keep in mind that nearly everything looks steeper than your template once you build it and are standing on top. 5.5' radius on a 3' might be fun but the best idea might be to build a few quarter pipes out of wood and figure out what you like before its set in concrete forever.

N.L.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
you're probably right about the radius. 8' does seem super mellow though. i just tend to prefer tight.

here's a 3' bowl with 4'6" trannies. excuse my stinkbug

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:51:40 AM by N.L. »

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »
 So i made the ramp 15.5 feet wide. And I think I am gonna go with this design. The only thing that concerns me is if the quarterpipes are away from each other so that u will lose momentum. I made it this way so that it fits to the current length if it is too long I will redo it. Thanks for the help. So yeah the question is what would be an appropriate flat bottom length for these specs??

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:06:29 AM by Tufty »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »
Yeah, that is waaayyy too much flat for a ramp that height.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 8' range which makes it 21.83 feet coping to coping using you specs, although when I walk it out in my living room something feels off. It could just be I'm not visualizing how long and gradual those big trannies are (they extend almost 7' from the plane of the coping). Now I'm second guessing the 8' tranny.

If I can I will check out a mini or two out this way an take some measurements.

Hopefully a few more builders can chime in.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 07:54:36 AM »
Yeah, that is waaayyy too much flat for a ramp that height.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 8' range which makes it 21.83 feet coping to coping using you specs, although when I walk it out in my living room something feels off. It could just be I'm not visualizing how long and gradual those big trannies are (they extend almost 7' from the plane of the coping). Now I'm second guessing the 8' tranny.

If I can I will check out a mini or two out this way an take some measurements.

Hopefully a few more builders can chime in.

That would be 90 inches give or take flat bottom length. I figured too that this was too far

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
I have built a bunch of mini ramps both for fun and professionally. 

The radius is always a something people argue over but here is my opinions.

For a 5' high ramp you want a radius of between 7-8'. 
The ramp I skate all the time is 5' high with an 8' radius. 
Perfect for learning tricks not to mellow but not to steep.
If I was to build it again I would probably tighten it up a bit around a 7'8".
So it was a bit better for airs and smith and feeble grinds. 

For a 4' ramp I would go between 6-7'. 
I personally like 6'6".     I have built 4'  ramps with as tight as 5'6" radius.
It was tight and skate able once you got used to it but lots of people complained
And some wouldn't skate it.   

The ideal flat for 4 or 5' ramps is around 8'. 
Let me know if you have more questions.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:26 AM »
We are pouring the concrete tomorrow thanx for help I will post some photos if they will have a camera.