Author Topic: ireland  (Read 3735 times)

pile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
ireland
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »
anybody on here know anything about the scene in ireland? i'll be going there for a month next spring, might end up living there for a little while if i can find a job. i follow high rollers in dublin and see a bit of stuff from them once in a while, but it's mainly just photos of product. if anyone has any suggestions as to what parks or spots to skate i'd appreciate hearing about em.

k7vin

• Rep: -31
Re: ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »
I heard about a skatepark at St Anne's Park; post your pics here then ;) & enjoy!

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:07:14 AM »
This should probably be of some help to you.

http://www.skateeire.ie/

ratherwatch

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
anybody on here know anything about the scene in ireland? i'll be going there for a month next spring, might end up living there for a little while if i can find a job. i follow high rollers in dublin and see a bit of stuff from them once in a while, but it's mainly just photos of product. if anyone has any suggestions as to what parks or spots to skate i'd appreciate hearing about em.

Dublin, where I'm from but no longer live, is a great city to skate around, though it's not Paris or Barcelona.  Expect frequent disputes with police, who are largely harmless, but visible everywhere.  They won't fine you, take your board or arrest you, just give you a bollicking about flailing about with a child's toy, ask you why you have nothing else better to do and all that kind of shite.  As far as spots go, there's been a fuckload of new construction over the past 15 years, which has seen a load of new spots pop up.  I get back there probably twice a year, so my info is nowhere as specific as it could be.

High Rollers is close enough to a decent plaza spot in the inner city, definitely a good place to start and as already said, www.skateeire.ie/  Most skaters tend to gravitate toward the parks which are all quite suburban.  Bushy Park is probably the closest decent one to the city centre, with a bunch of other good ones way out in the 'burbs.  Public transport is pretty good and fairly cheap

Ireland is pretty small, so driving across isn't so tedious as I remember it growing up, and getting to visit parks dotted around the country is way easier.   If you surf, there's always quality waves an hour or two away. Bizarrely, up to when I was living there 10 years ago, there were no outdoor parks whatsoever, all of them have been built in the past decade.

The country on the whole is eye-wateringly expensive by EU standards, probably more so than London or Stockholm.  And it rains a lot.

This Dublin scene video came out recently, worth checking out to see what's going on.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dublin, where I'm from but no longer live, is a great city to skate around, though it's not Paris or Barcelona.  Expect frequent disputes with police, who are largely harmless, but visible everywhere.  They won't fine you, take your board or arrest you, just give you a bollicking about flailing about with a child's toy, ask you why you have nothing else better to do and all that kind of shite.  As far as spots go, there's been a fuckload of new construction over the past 15 years, which has seen a load of new spots pop up.  I get back there probably twice a year, so my info is nowhere as specific as it could be.

High Rollers is close enough to a decent plaza spot in the inner city, definitely a good place to start and as already said, www.skateeire.ie/  Most skaters tend to gravitate toward the parks which are all quite suburban.  Bushy Park is probably the closest decent one to the city centre, with a bunch of other good ones way out in the 'burbs.  Public transport is pretty good and fairly cheap

Ireland is pretty small, so driving across isn't so tedious as I remember it growing up, and getting to visit parks dotted around the country is way easier.   If you surf, there's always quality waves an hour or two away. Bizarrely, up to when I was living there 10 years ago, there were no outdoor parks whatsoever, all of them have been built in the past decade.

The country on the whole is eye-wateringly expensive by EU standards, probably more so than London or Stockholm.  And it rains a lot.

This Dublin scene video came out recently, worth checking out to see what's going on.

thanks a lot for the info ciaran, i appreciate it. i've got loads of relatives there, so thankfully i won't have to pay anything to stay anywhere, and i'm sure i'll save a bit on food expenses having a place to actually store some food at as well as make my own meals. as far as i know i'll be in dublin, tramore and cork. i can't wait to go explore an entirely new place to skate and meet some different folks. the last time i was there i was 12, and was bummed about missing hockey back home haha.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
I just went for a brief holiday to see some friends. Didn't do any skating there and it mostly looked rough.
One place I would definitely recommend checking (not for skating) is the Aran Islands. Incredible spot. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
My wife is Irish so we go back every couple years to visit family.  
Usually stay in Dublin, then travel around.  
High rollers is a good place to start.  
Dublin has spots and a couple parks from what I remember. I skated Bushy.
It was pretty fun.   The spots are pretty rough for the most part and there are not very many skaters around.
There are granite ledges to be found if you look hard enough.
If you do run into other skaters they, were always friendly and accommodating.  One crew took me around and showed me a few spots.
The general public seems to care less about skating.  

I found a few spots in Galway, and a few skaters. Its a pretty fun town to hang out in and hit the pubs.  
It's kind of a college town so lots of younger people.  

Down south in  Kilarney, where my wife is from.  I also found a few spots, some nice granite ledges that were pretty Virgin.  
But I didn't meet any skaters.  This is also a fun town to drink and party in. Cork is pretty close to there and I think it's the biggest city/town in the south, I remember a plaza in the middle of town, but I didn't skate.  

If your down for a road trip, way up north in Portrush.  This town had some newer architecture and I found a plaza with a bunch of skaters.
Only spent one night there but it was pretty fun.  There is surf around here if your interested, and some shops to get product.

If you surf, go to Lahinch, this is my favorite place in Ireland,   It's a small surf town on the west coast.  No real skate spots that I found, but Awesome people and you can surf the right in town, if your not comfortable surfing on your own or are still learning.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:53:56 AM by Get fired up »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »
Cork is a great spot for skating, loads of spots and a couple of parks. There's loads of parks in Dublin, I think most of them are modular.
Eyre Square in Galway is the centre of the city, and probably the best spot in the city, in my opinion.

http://galwaybuzzers.blogspot.ie/
http://www.skateeire.ie/

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

anyone know where the spot is that they are skating at 4:00. Im going to Ireland this summer and wanna skate that. also what is good to skate in the Dublin area, parks, plazas, diy? Thanks

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
anyone know where the spot is that they are skating at 4:00. Im going to Ireland this summer and wanna skate that. also what is good to skate in the Dublin area, parks, plazas, diy? Thanks
That wasn't there when I lived in Dublin, I'll find out for you on Monday and get back to you.
Bushy Park is great, most spots are mentioned above, I haven't lived there in 5 years so don't know if any New spots are going.
Also it's "summer" in Ireland dude, um it's not liké summer any where else, the weather is poxy alot of the time. I emigrated to France because of it.
You'll have fun thou

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »
Bushy Park is fun, my Grandma used to live like 15 minutes away, and we would visit every now and then and I would always skate that park a bunch. Overall, it’s super crusty from all the rain but there are definitely spots and a good scene, especially in the bigger cities. It’s kind of depressing with the weather, but in the summer it stays bright until like 10 or 11 pm
Skating and Baitin

13Bastards

• Rep: 2
  • b2b sinner 5 hour dubstep-only
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
2019 update. weathers still gack 70% of the time but about a thousand concrete parks...
so yanno? cool?
Give me your instagram you fucking pussy.
give it to me then. I guarantee I can fuck you

mick1shrdn

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 02:36:32 AM »
You should give the plaza in Portobello a visit, usually has the most skaters there.

13Bastards

• b2b sinner 5 hour dubstep-only
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
You should give the plaza in Portobello a visit, usually has the most skaters there.

totally agree!
Is UCD a complete no-go?

for anyone wishing to go up north (possibly because your gf has dragged you on a GoT tour) I can provide some guidance
Give me your instagram you fucking pussy.
give it to me then. I guarantee I can fuck you

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 06:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

totally agree!
Is UCD a complete no-go?

for anyone wishing to go up north (possibly because your gf has dragged you on a GoT tour) I can provide some guidance

He'll also mug you.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:12:25 AM by poor alice »
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

MarshGarvey

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 06:06:41 PM »
Didn't feel right to make a new topic for this...
What's the best skate shop, if any, in Galway? (to buy a deck)

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 02:19:09 AM »

There isn't any to my knowledge. It rains so much down there dunno how anyone could skate.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

MarshGarvey

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 12:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There isn't any to my knowledge. It rains so much down there dunno how anyone could skate.

You are correct, the skaters I talked to said they mostly got their gear online.
If you're in Dublin swing by High Rollers though, good shop near Temple Bar