Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 16452 times)

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: Dogs
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2019, 01:28:12 AM »
That's pretty fucking aweful. Husky, of all dogs....

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2019, 05:21:02 AM »
Update on my Amstaff Cara: she was not recovering as planned after the second surgery and third one was performed. 3 hours of digging through her intestines did not reveal any leak after the second surgery, but there was a lot of fluid (this was last Friday), so the surgery was basically exploratory, no work done.

Next morning, they called us explaining that she is practically dead since the bacteria has become resistant to the antibiotics. The on-call vet acted like he can't be bothered, but if we could get the last possible antibiotic, it could save her life. After we took the initiative, he helped a bit and Cara was transformed in 24 hours. The lab confirmed there is no bacteria left inside her today and she is coming home. The new bill will be close to $2K, bringing in the total to $5K. She will have to go back for intravenal antibiotics every 6 hours for the weekend, but we are so relieved to have her alive.

Hug your dogs, folks! After not eating propely for 3 weeks, she now looks like one of the dogs from the "incredible transformation" videos.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »
Cara is a hero!

Saw a really big, derpy Golden boy on the train. Me and girl watched him derping around for twenty minutes!

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »
Resurrecting the dog thread because why not?

This is Arya Bark:

Hows your doggos doing in quarantine?

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
Resurrecting, again!

Who's good with training dogs? I got a Chihuahua/Whippet mix puppy. She's super sweet but I gotta learn how to train her on a couple of things:

-Leash training
-Needed to be next to someone at all times (general anxiety, even if I go to the bathroom)
-Darting through doors
-Going to the bathroom in designated spots

I know that bathroom stuff comes with time. All the other things, I need some guidance on. Luckily, I work from home full time so I can actually guide her in some directions.

Anyone with links/videos or advice, please, I'm all ears.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
Resurrecting, again!

Who's good with training dogs? I got a Chihuahua/Whippet mix puppy. She's super sweet but I gotta learn how to train her on a couple of things:

-Leash training
-Needed to be next to someone at all times (general anxiety, even if I go to the bathroom)
-Darting through doors

I know that bathroom stuff comes with time. All the other things, I need some guidance on. Luckily, I work from home full time so I can actually guide her in some directions.

Good Dog 101 is a really great resource, Just remember training is a life long thing. I had my dog pretty well trained then fell off his routine and now its so damn hard to retrain him!

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Resurrecting, again!

-Leash training
-Darting through doors

[close]

Good Dog 101 is a really great resource, Just remember training is a life long thing. I had my dog pretty well trained then fell off his routine and now its so damn hard to retrain him!

Noted, thanks!

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2020, 09:38:11 PM »
My brother has a dog named Kiba that he doesn't take out or hang with enough. My brother seems to think teaching Kiba a couple tricks and petting him for a few minutes while babytalking is enough interaction. He just stays outside the house super bored and I feel super guilty about it. Now the fool is on house arrest so he can't even take Kiba out the little amount that he would before. I want him to be taken away and given to someone else. I live in a no animal apartment so I couldn't take him even if my brother allowed it. Anyway, here's a picture of me and Kiba.

http://www.instagram.com/p/B4LuIYfl0fq/

Update on Kiba? He find a good home?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2020, 12:41:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Resurrecting, again!

-Leash training
-Darting through doors

[close]

[close]

Noted, thanks!

Working from home can actually work against you in this instance - it can lead to serious separation anxiety. You should buy a crate and start acclimating the dog to sleep in it when you do most of your work. If you don't work from home, 8 hours in the crate is normal, but if you are disturbing her sleep at home, 6 hours would be enough.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2020, 01:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Resurrecting, again!

-Leash training
-Darting through doors

[close]

[close]

Noted, thanks!
[close]

Working from home can actually work against you in this instance - it can lead to serious separation anxiety. You should buy a crate and start acclimating the dog to sleep in it when you do most of your work. If you don't work from home, 8 hours in the crate is normal, but if you are disturbing her sleep at home, 6 hours would be enough.

Absolutely this too, I acclimated my dog to his crate early by putting him in there one hour after breakfast and one hour after dinner. Hes gunna have terrible separation anxiety now that ive been home for 3 months though. I also have been training him to be in his outdoor kennel thats 10ft x 10ft so if he needs to take a shit while im gone he can.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
This marks the first full week we’ve had her and she’s improved a lot. Still need to focus on leash training and obedience but through habits and persistence, she’s doing better.

One shitty thing that’s happening now and am taking her to the vet in 15 minutes to address:
When we got her, she had a small cut on the tip of her ear from playing with other dogs too rough (what we were told, at least). This appears to be right at the tip of a blood vessel. So, every time she scratches the scab off, it’s drips blood like crazy. The worse part is she shakes her head and it sprays blood droplets all over the walls and it looks like a murder scene. Taking her to the vet to get it properly bandaged/coned so it has at least 24 hours to heal.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »
This marks the first full week we’ve had her and she’s improved a lot. Still need to focus on leash training and obedience but through habits and persistence, she’s doing better.

One shitty thing that’s happening now and am taking her to the vet in 15 minutes to address:
When we got her, she had a small cut on the tip of her ear from playing with other dogs too rough (what we were told, at least). This appears to be right at the tip of a blood vessel. So, every time she scratches the scab off, it’s drips blood like crazy. The worse part is she shakes her head and it sprays blood droplets all over the walls and it looks like a murder scene. Taking her to the vet to get it properly bandaged/coned so it has at least 24 hours to heal.

This appears to be more common than I thought. Something similar happened to my Mom's dog (Cual R.I.P). He had a cut that must have lasted months. It would dry up and start healing but he would scratch at it and open it up again. I forget what my Mom ended up applying but it healed after a while. Any progress with your pup?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
My dog had the happy tail syndrome, which is a similar recurring scab. You basically have to prevent scratching (cone) and apply medicinal honey that acts anti-bacterial. A scab heals 2 weeks or something like that, so patience is key.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2020, 09:22:46 AM »
My goofy doggos

Dueces Bitch's

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
My dog had the happy tail syndrome, which is a similar recurring scab. You basically have to prevent scratching (cone) and apply medicinal honey that acts anti-bacterial. A scab heals 2 weeks or something like that, so patience is key.

Apparently this is common too. Cleaning up happy tail trails is no fun. This happened over a year ago and I still find spots of blood here and there. Thanks for the tip. I would just bandage my dog's tail and hope he wouldn't bite the bandages. It lasted about two weeks but finally healed up and hasn't returned.

euro tm

« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »
just spent $800 at the vet on saturday for my dog. she was sick but she’s already getting better. it was well worth it

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2020, 12:08:17 AM »
having a dog in universal healtcare europe makes you appreciate the absurdity of the US medical system firsthand. The insurance system for pets is exactly the same with fuckin exceptions and copay ...

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2020, 01:27:22 AM »
Cleaning the bong couple days ago dropped a couple drops of cleaner on the floor and she licks it up immediately. Freaked, gave her water and she was ok then like 90 mins later she has a seizure. Had the pet ambulance on the phone and they’re all well if it was two drops she’ll be ok. And she appears to be. Fuck
listen to cosmic psychos

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This appears to be more common than I thought. Something similar happened to my Mom's dog (Cual R.I.P). He had a cut that must have lasted months. It would dry up and start healing but he would scratch at it and open it up again. I forget what my Mom ended up applying but it healed after a while. Any progress with your pup?

Sorry for the delay- thanks to everyone who’s giving tips oh dog training, by the way.

Progress! We took her to the vet hut they bandaged the ear too tight and instructed her breathing (gnarly sleep apnea at night). Removed bandage and realized this ear needed to heal, ASAP.

For anyone at home who needs to keep the ear pinned down: old stockings or dress socks are excellent. After we placed that on her head with the cone, within 4 days, she was 95% healed. Still have a pin-drop sized scab but should heal in the next day or two.

Regarding training, below is progress/ questions:
-Teaching her to sit took a surprisingly long time but she’s good now
-Potty training is 95% success rate, sort of. We’re in a second story 1bd apartment and I’m using potty pads as a designated bathroom spot, both on the balcony and in our living room. Mob is always ready to go and we change our constantly. We’re moving to a house in august so hopefully that gets her going in a yard.

Question: she’s super protective over us. Went to a backyard party and she would not leave our side, barked at anyone that came near us. Anyone know a good way to get dogs friendlier with people? Even after having them serve treats, she’s still growl. Luckily, all harmless (no biting or attacking), just growling and barking.

Thanks doods. We don’t have kids so this dog is like our child.

fakie n0llie

• Rep: -80
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
Update, I traded the dog in for a unicycle.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry for the delay- thanks to everyone who’s giving tips oh dog training, by the way.

Progress! We took her to the vet hut they bandaged the ear too tight and instructed her breathing (gnarly sleep apnea at night). Removed bandage and realized this ear needed to heal, ASAP.

For anyone at home who needs to keep the ear pinned down: old stockings or dress socks are excellent. After we placed that on her head with the cone, within 4 days, she was 95% healed. Still have a pin-drop sized scab but should heal in the next day or two.

Regarding training, below is progress/ questions:
-Teaching her to sit took a surprisingly long time but she’s good now
-Potty training is 95% success rate, sort of. We’re in a second story 1bd apartment and I’m using potty pads as a designated bathroom spot, both on the balcony and in our living room. Mob is always ready to go and we change our constantly. We’re moving to a house in august so hopefully that gets her going in a yard.

Question: she’s super protective over us. Went to a backyard party and she would not leave our side, barked at anyone that came near us. Anyone know a good way to get dogs friendlier with people? Even after having them serve treats, she’s still growl. Luckily, all harmless (no biting or attacking), just growling and barking.

Thanks doods. We don’t have kids so this dog is like our child.

Continue to socialize with other dogs and people. Our trainer recommended other people join walks or try to walk our dog as well. Our dog is gnarly though, over protective Staff Terrier (Pitbull type) with prey aggresion. Having others join on our walks has helped. One other major thing that the trainer introduced to us was having others greet us as soon as we encounter so the dog can see that we are accepting whoever is approaching, therefor, implying, not a threat. There's a lot of helpful videos on youtube, all depending on history, breed, and age of your dog. Good luck!

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2020, 05:52:47 PM »
Update: Been 2 years now and my dog is still dead. Will keep you posted.
Update: He's back!!!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2020, 06:50:36 AM »
Beagle X Pug, maybe some other stuff in there. 4 Years old. Adopted 3 years ago.

Black Lab X Pointer, with some others I'm sure. Shelter wasn't sure about the dad. 8 Weeks, mom came into the shelter pregnant, found roaming the street. Adopted this past Saturday.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2020, 03:29:18 AM »
kudos for adopting, these pooches look adorable

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2020, 05:14:45 AM »
kudos for adopting, these pooches look adorable

All of our pets are adopted. Always will be, too many animals already need homes to go to a breeder or fancy pet store to buy.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
both our dogs are adopted, and we'll probably continue to do it that way. You save a life and skip the house trainer.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
It’s surprisingly hard/expensive to get a dog these days (if you don’t want a Pitbull/chihuahua).

“Reputable” breeders charge $$$$. Breed rescues have huge wait lists and often have policies like not allowing their animals to be sent to cities. Where I am, pet stores no longer sell dogs. There are a lot of Amish breeders nearby but a lot of them seem like horror shows.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
It’s surprisingly hard/expensive to get a dog these days (if you don’t want a Pitbull/chihuahua).

“Reputable” breeders charge $$$$. Breed rescues have huge wait lists and often have policies like not allowing their animals to be sent to cities. Where I am, pet stores no longer sell dogs. There are a lot of Amish breeders nearby but a lot of them seem like horror shows.

Where are you located? The adoption organization we used get a lot of dogs and puppies. It's in Delaware, if you aren't too far and willing to travel it's a solid option.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2020, 06:55:56 PM »
Beagle X Pug, maybe some other stuff in there. 4 Years old. Adopted 3 years ago.

Black Lab X Pointer, with some others I'm sure. Shelter wasn't sure about the dad. 8 Weeks, mom came into the shelter pregnant, found roaming the street. Adopted this past Saturday.

Good looking pups. Always happy to hear about adoptions and rescues.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2020, 12:15:51 AM »
Resurrecting the dog thread because why not?

This is Arya Bark:

Hows your doggos doing in quarantine?

Beautiful Pug!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate