Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 16445 times)

The Woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
Dogs
« on: October 22, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
I just got a puppy today, it's my first one since I was like 10. It's a 2 month old transylvanian hound, any tips or advice?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

OldmanEpic

Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
No idea about hounds???

I never was a dog person till i met my wife and she had a boxer. Awesome dog!

Since she past we have 3 huskies and they are absolutely the best dogs!

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 05:41:30 PM »
I just got a puppy today, it's my first one since I was like 10. It's a 2 month old transylvanian hound, any tips or advice?

I can't recommend crate training enough. Your pup will be sad and cry at first but that will only last for a few days.

And congrats! Dogs are the best. Post up a photo!
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
Keep it on a leash, these hound dogs pick up a smell and never come back. Get it spayed/neutered, buy costco dog food, take it for atleast 2 long walks a day, and reward it when he/she dooks in the backyard or outside.

Get used to keeping a bag in your pocket, and dont be afraid to take it in public, chicks love puppies.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:15:29 AM »
i feed my dog beef jerky and beer and he loves it
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't recommend crate training enough. Your pup will be sad and cry at first but that will only last for a few days.

Do this! Get a kong from your local pet store. Whenever you go out and have to put him in the crate, throw some peanut butter in it and your dog will be the happiest. He will learn pretty quickly that you leaving = him getting peanut butter and will take off for the crate cause he's gonna get one.

i feed my dog beef jerky and beer and he loves it

Don't do this. Many dogs have tender stomachs but some don't. I think it comes down to whether you got them as a puppy or if you got them as a rescue/off the street. I got my last dog outside a bar in Montana. She was getting dropped off several times a week so my family adopted her. She can eat almost anything and keep going. Chocolate is no problem for her but I think it's cause she was eating leftovers from the bar for a good long while.

Yushin Okami

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Another tip re: food, and it's not for everyone, but if you can afford it put him on a raw diet. I have two dogs, one who always had an upset stomach. I would buy him the top rated, grain free kibble I could find but he would have diarrhea about 20% of the time. About 4 years ago I started feeding him a raw diet (I used Steve Real Food - http://stevesrealfood.com/) and I'm not exaggerating his stomach issues disappeared overnight. Again, it's not cheap. My dog who eats it is a corgi (who are prone to upset stomachs) and only about 36lbs but it cost about $80/month for him.

Also, pet insurance. Someone mentioned hip dysplasia in this thread and my dog had that as well. Cost about $6,000 when he was a one year old to correct. Much better to pay $20/month or so.

And as someone else said, bring him everywhere. The earlier you get them socialized the better (after they've had all their shots). Plus, who wouldn't want their best friend with them at all times.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

^ This right here--the pup will eventually get over it.

Just some things that worked for our dogs:

-If you have a daily routine with your dog, type that up and save it on your computer (if you need anyone to come over and watch the dog you can just always have that one hand; edit it as necessary and keep it on the kitchen counter).
-Check out any breed-specific health issues (hip dysplasia for a lot of dogs--be careful with this when they're older and if you have slippery hardwood floors). 
-Always have some chicken (which you can freeze) and rice on hand in case your dog gets an upset stomach.
-If you can, try to get in the habit of brushing the pup's teeth--having to deal with gum/tartar issues with dogs can get expensive
-Socialize it early with other dogs at parks.

For disciplinary issues:

-Get a plant water spray bottle (like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NIZYHI?keywords=plant%20spray%20bottle&qid=1445613314&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11)
fill it with water, and set it to "mist". Whenever the pup does something it shouldn't, immediately spray it near the pup.
-You can also get an old soda can, fill it with coins, and duct tape it shut; whenever the pup does something it shouldn't, shake the can or drop it on the floor.

Things like "Bitter Apple" for chewing can be kind of hit-or-miss, but something worth trying if they are chewing a lot of stuff.
Congrats and enjoy your new friend! Hello from my family's "dogs":

Good looking pups!

OldmanEpic

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
Another tip re: food, and it's not for everyone, but if you can afford it put him on a raw diet. I have two dogs, one who always had an upset stomach. I would buy him the top rated, grain free kibble I could find but he would have diarrhea about 20% of the time. About 4 years ago I started feeding him a raw diet (I used Steve Real Food - http://stevesrealfood.com/) and I'm not exaggerating his stomach issues disappeared overnight. Again, it's not cheap. My dog who eats it is a corgi (who are prone to upset stomachs) and only about 36lbs but it cost about $80/month for him.

Also, pet insurance. Someone mentioned hip dysplasia in this thread and my dog had that as well. Cost about $6,000 when he was a one year old to correct. Much better to pay $20/month or so.

And as someone else said, bring him everywhere. The earlier you get them socialized the better (after they've had all their shots). Plus, who wouldn't want their best friend with them at all times.

My huskies eat all meat diets. I feed them but they also hunt, and eat the kill

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
Dogs are Awesome! I have a 7 year old Pit/Huskie mix that's been a great house dog. There's a certain attitude that dogs have when they only know the indoor life and tend to be very spoiled. My dog still hates tap water and knows the difference because we would only give her bottled water when she was a puppy. As far as food I use Taste of the Wild. Its pretty expensive but it has some of the best ingredients out there and use flax seed oil sometimes with the food to brighten up her coat. The only downfall to any dog that's even remotely mixed with husky is the insane amount of shedding they do. You'll have to swiffer your house daily and get her groomed to avoid constant piles of hairs all over the house. Dogs are more than pets, they become family and should be treated with great care and not just left out alone in a backyard.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 04:23:15 AM »
Can't post up a photo right now cause I'm at work and they only one I have is from last night and it's super dark, I'll put up a better one when j get a chance.

But just an update for so far. We are crate training, and one of the first things we bought was a Kong. He was a rescuer from the animal shelter and they said they didn't know exactly what happened but they knew he hadn't had the best life so far, he had 5 siblings with him and they were all super scared, even now that he's home with is he is very timid and kind of keeps to himself, im pretty sure he was abused.
He is coming around slowly though, he'll let anyone touch/pet him (me, the wife, our kids) and he's very sweet. So far he seems like he's going to be very easy to train. We have taken him outside very regularly and there have been no inside accidents yet, he hardly even whined when he was in his crate. The only thing I think we may have a hard time with is the leash, it scares him to death, so far we've just picked him up and walked him to the field near our house to let him go to the bathroom, he just follows you around and does what he needs to then when he's done stares at you and I'll pick him up and carry him back in.
-Gandhi

OldmanEpic

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
Our huskies stay chained up because they prefer it. They get too hot inside.

Not everydog needs to be left indoors

But they do come in about 2am till about 6am then they want right back out

But we are in the country so its different i spose

They sure love to run!

There off about 2 hours a day to run, swim and hunt.

Awesome awesome dogs but no good as guard dogs, when it comes to humans they are super friendly

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
Here's a photo of the little guy.

-Gandhi

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
that dog has huge paws, he will be huge

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
that dog has huge paws, he will be huge

He currently weights 15 pounds, I was looking online and it said their bread usually grows to between 65-75 pounds generally.
-Gandhi

brent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
someone sincerely responded to a horrible joke i made  ???

brent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
this is milarepa

OldmanEpic

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »
Nice looking dogs guys!!!

Here is our siberian, Ivy

Tracer

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
Epic I hope you live on a cold climate farm/ranch. Huskies are winter dogs an some folks think keeping them in apartments is OK. They need/love exercise and half the people around here end up giving them away

OldmanEpic

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Epic I hope you live on a cold climate farm/ranch. Huskies are winter dogs an some folks think keeping them in apartments is OK. They need/love exercise and half the people around here end up giving them away

Read my posts in this thread tracer

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
Can't post up a photo right now cause I'm at work and they only one I have is from last night and it's super dark, I'll put up a better one when j get a chance.

But just an update for so far. We are crate training, and one of the first things we bought was a Kong. He was a rescuer from the animal shelter and they said they didn't know exactly what happened but they knew he hadn't had the best life so far, he had 5 siblings with him and they were all super scared, even now that he's home with is he is very timid and kind of keeps to himself, im pretty sure he was abused.
He is coming around slowly though, he'll let anyone touch/pet him (me, the wife, our kids) and he's very sweet. So far he seems like he's going to be very easy to train. We have taken him outside very regularly and there have been no inside accidents yet, he hardly even whined when he was in his crate. The only thing I think we may have a hard time with is the leash, it scares him to death, so far we've just picked him up and walked him to the field near our house to let him go to the bathroom, he just follows you around and does what he needs to then when he's done stares at you and I'll pick him up and carry him back in.

With the leash you can maybe do a few things like try to make it a positive experience experience ie feed the dog only when leash is on.... Another is like you can buy just the clip that goes on the collar....seeing if that trips the dog out....if not....leave it on....then inevitably tie a string on....just try to build up to the leash and keeping it normal....

its still super early in the game so you pretty much do what you have to do...but inevitably....carrying a dog is a bad idea....leash will be key... Cause then you can take him out and get him used to shit like cars....loud noises.....whatever......timid dogs...lead to fearful dogs....then aggressive dog.....

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »
Practice gentling, socialize the dog and sing him up for dog school. Mine has been to three different stages of dog school and is now 10 months old. Too bad she has food allergies and anything she eats from the ground on a walk can give her a skin rash.

Here she is (bluenose amstaff):

OldmanEpic

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
Very nice looking dog!!!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
beauty! for active dogs i think walking is key and we kennel train. we put stella (pictured below) into some hardcore training and the big tips from them were to be consistent with your commands and akwardly enough, don't repeat the commands. basically say sit stella and if she doesn't then you get your body into their personal space and dominate their space. it trips them out and works pretty well. place is the best command. pick a place in your home that is her spot and get her to go their when you say place. this will be great to help deal with a lot of other problems like if they are bugging a guest are barking, you can just place them.

we also have a boston

and a toy maltese

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »

Sounds like a likely scenario is he was beat by his former owners with a leash. Soy has some good suggestions, positive reinforcement is key. so if you manage to get the leash on him without to much trouble give him a reward, and so on and so on. Hopefully soon he won't be scared of it.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
Ok so the leash fear gone, and actually I don't even really think it is leash fear; I think it was a combo of two things, he associated leaving the house with just leaving (like leaving forever) and I live in apartments ao when you walk out you walk into a parking lot and he doesn't like cars, I think for the same reason. However I went for a jog with him today because he seemed super ancy and like he needed to release some energy so leashed him up and started as a walk that turned into a light run and he was hyped.
I think it'll just take a while for him to realize that this is his home now and we aren't going to get rid of him because all of his little issue seem to stem from a sort of separation anxiety.
-Gandhi

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 05:26:48 AM »
Always been a Pug man myself.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »
My 100lb English Bull.

He's in charge of board stash security

Yushin Okami

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »
My Corgi and Shepherd/Terrier

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 09:20:46 AM »