Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Re: Dogs
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 08:04:55 PM »
My 100lb English Bull.

He's in charge of board stash security

How are you liking your bull dog? I'm looking into getting one in the next couple years, but finding a decent breeder with healthy happy dogs is difficult
For Your Health

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »
This is my little dude. He's my mom's dog's son, if that makes sense. Bichon, Spaniel, and Golden Retriever mix. His name is Finn

For Your Health

PeanutGallery

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
My Corgi and Shepherd/Terrier

Interior decorating on point. I like your style son. Dogs are cool too.  8)

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
Expand Quote
My 100lb English Bull.

He's in charge of board stash security
[close]

How are you liking your bull dog? I'm looking into getting one in the next couple years, but finding a decent breeder with healthy happy dogs is difficult

Oh dude, bulldogs are a nightmare to own. He's a genetic trainwreck.  I've had him since he was a puppy, he's about 8 years old now. He's had a nose job to help him breath better and we had to remove his tail, because the damn thing was so tightly wound that it would get infected, so he's a bit haggard these days.
Personality wise, they're very sweet and gentle dogs. They were bred as companion dogs after bullbaiting went out of style and it really shows. However, they are extremely tenacious should they get something into their little heads. Difficult to train is an understatement.
He generally just likes to chill and nap next to me.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
So my 14 yr old blue heeler/border collie tore her ACL last year and messed her knee up earlier this year. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I hate seeing her limp everywhere and I have to pick her up to get her into the car/up stairs. I wish there was a quick solution that wasn't putting her down...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
So my 14 yr old blue heeler/border collie tore her ACL last year and messed her knee up earlier this year. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I hate seeing her limp everywhere and I have to pick her up to get her into the car/up stairs. I wish there was a quick solution that wasn't putting her down...

one of my dogs went through this... we got him from a rescue where he had torn both of his ACL's and they were looking for somebody to foster him after surgery.  We "fostered" him for about a day and half then he suckered us into keeping him.

Well... obviously take her to a vet and see what she says.  If it's torn I'd imagine surgery is what would be the best bet.  I know it's expensive as fuck, but that's what credit cards are for.  A lot of vets have different types of payment options so look into that as well.  She definitely doesn't need to be put down if it's just an ACL tear, that's for sure.

I know my dog was on crate rest for awhile to see if that would help prevent the need for surgery, maybe your dogs isn't completely torn and just needs to heal?  Not sure if you give her supplements but try fish oil in her food and there's an additive called Dasquin that you can give to older dogs that helps with the achy joints/knees.  It actually works very well for arthritis.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

Wanted to use this opportunity to pour one out for Tillman, the highly entertaining pro-skateboarding Bulldog with a rabid Busenitz-esque push and whose signature treats are a staple at my house has passed away.  Always wanted a bulldog however the above mentioned health problems sound like a nightmare to deal with.

Regardless, always loved this little dude:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tillman-skateboarding-dog-dead_5632d541e4b063179911e0ce

Skateboarding Dog

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
Yeah man! Tillman was rad.
I saw him at the Rose Parade one year and that dog genuinely loved to skateboard. The handler would try to get him to stop and take the board away and he'd run up and yank it back, then push like a madman. Awesome dog!

Darty

• Rep: -1
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »

My border collie tore his ACL at age 14 and due to his age he couldn't have surgery. The vet put him on some medication and give him a monthly injection and I fenced him into a small space so he couldn't run on it for about two months before he began to improve. He's 17 years old now and has no limp at all unless he's been running excessively.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
You can get a leg brace for her. They're only slightly cumbersome, and definitely feel better than walking around on a bum leg. My mom's dog is fucking 17 years old and is a mix of every breed prone to dysplasia. He was having trouble getting up and laying down to the point that my mom figured it was time, but she put that brace on him and he's as fine as an ancient dog can be.

I myself have a beagle/golden mix. Yesterday I spent $500 getting her teeth cleaned because my wife is easily upsold.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 06:32:36 AM »
You can get a leg brace for her. They're only slightly cumbersome, and definitely feel better than walking around on a bum leg. My mom's dog is fucking 17 years old and is a mix of every breed prone to dysplasia. He was having trouble getting up and laying down to the point that my mom figured it was time, but she put that brace on him and he's as fine as an ancient dog can be.

I myself have a beagle/golden mix. Yesterday I spent $500 getting her teeth cleaned because my wife is easily upsold.

The vets always try to sell that to me too. Fortunately one of the vets was really honest with me, and said to just: brush them with a toothbrush and give them that fancy dental food a couple times a week. I've been doing it for a while now, and the teeth are looking better.
For Your Health

shit_for_brains

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The vets always try to sell that to me too. Fortunately one of the vets was really honest with me, and said to just: brush them with a toothbrush and give them that fancy dental food a couple times a week. I've been doing it for a while now, and the teeth are looking better.

She eats raw primal patties because again, my wife is easily upsold and we aren't having kids so fuck it, the dog can have $200 food. Whenever I give her those treats that are supposed to help with their teeth, she just carries it around for a month and never eats it. She had a pretty bad plaque build up (that I feel like a monster for not noticing) on two of her rear upper teeth that needed a vet to take care of. That shit isn't happening again. I'll brush her teeth sixty times a day if I don't have to spend $500 again. They're like brand new now though. Pretty worth it, but only worth it once.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 05:29:46 AM »
I use coconut oil to brush my dog's teeth with, she loves it.

BMCsteve

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:08 PM »
my dudes

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My border collie tore his ACL at age 14 and due to his age he couldn't have surgery. The vet put him on some medication and give him a monthly injection and I fenced him into a small space so he couldn't run on it for about two months before he began to improve. He's 17 years old now and has no limp at all unless he's been running excessively.

Gonna try both of these! Thanks guys!

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
This guy showed up on my porch yesterday afternoon. He was timid at first, but not for very long. He ended up hopping up on a table to sleep on overnight. I brought him some food and water and towels. Now he is glued to me, following right behind me. He was waiting in excitement when I came home from work today. He acts as if he has lived here all along. I took him to see if he is chipped, but he is not. I bought him a little crate to sleep in, and put the towels inside, with another over the top for warmth. I can't bring him inside yet because of my other pets. I named him Homer Wells, after the orphan who was never adopted in Cider House Rules. I don't think he's gonna leave.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
This guy showed up on my porch yesterday afternoon. He was timid at first, but not for very long. He ended up hopping up on a table to sleep on overnight. I brought him some food and water and towels. Now he is glued to me, following right behind me. He was waiting in excitement when I came home from work today. He acts as if he has lived here all along. I took him to see if he is chipped, but he is not. I bought him a little crate to sleep in, and put the towels inside, with another over the top for warmth. I can't bring him inside yet because of my other pets. I named him Homer Wells, after the orphan who was never adopted in Cider House Rules. I don't think he's gonna leave.

That's a rad thing of you to do man. Have you plastered any Found Dog stuff on craigslist or facebook yet? I'd do that, cause last year someone took my mom's fucking cat. We finally got it back 3 weeks later, but she's never been the same since
For Your Health

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »
That's fucked. Who the hell steals someone's cat? Anyway, I posted a flyer on the neighborhood Facebook group, and I have some printed out ones to tape up in the morning. The culture of my neighborhood in downtown Phoenix embraces free range dogs. Usually they have homes, but they live in the front yard and are free to roam and return as they please, so I doubt anyone is going to respond to the flyer. I'm okay with that though. Dude is one of the chillest and has treated my like we've been best friends for years.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »
My Bonnie when she was a lil bit younger and smaller: Bonnie

We think shes some kind of rat terrier/beagle mix. shes the best, permanently smallish but acts like she is much bigger
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 01:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a rad thing of you to do man. Have you plastered any Found Dog stuff on craigslist or facebook yet? I'd do that, cause last year someone took my mom's fucking cat. We finally got it back 3 weeks later, but she's never been the same since

good on ya, for taking him in. I would name him scruffy

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I am also considering Master Splinter.

straight

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
Update:

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 01:10:24 AM »
haha, looks like quite a character

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
I've had my dog for about a year and a half. She's a blue heeler and australian cattle dog mix, or that's at least what the rescue told us. She's honestly been the best dog I've ever had. Super smart and sweet, and she loves to come skating with me. With that being said, does anyone have some pointers on how to train her to know not to get in front of me/ other people. I've been trying "over" or "Right" but as soon as we slow down she still tries to get in front of me.

7 year old

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
just keep trying different words, that should do it.

Jordick

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
here's my little guy Iggy. Had him 9 and a half years so far.

Big Sweatpants

• Rep: -66
  • KOOKIN' IT SO FUCKING HARD
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
We don't talk about dogs here. Only dog drugs.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
Another tip re: food, and it's not for everyone, but if you can afford it put him on a raw diet. I have two dogs, one who always had an upset stomach. I would buy him the top rated, grain free kibble I could find but he would have diarrhea about 20% of the time. About 4 years ago I started feeding him a raw diet (I used Steve Real Food - http://stevesrealfood.com/) and I'm not exaggerating his stomach issues disappeared overnight. Again, it's not cheap. My dog who eats it is a corgi (who are prone to upset stomachs) and only about 36lbs but it cost about $80/month for him.

Also, pet insurance. Someone mentioned hip dysplasia in this thread and my dog had that as well. Cost about $6,000 when he was a one year old to correct. Much better to pay $20/month or so.

And as someone else said, bring him everywhere. The earlier you get them socialized the better (after they've had all their shots). Plus, who wouldn't want their best friend with them at all times.

Seriously. Do this. Some people think it's stupid, but don't listen to them. My dog was 3 and a half at the time and had an accident which required spinal surgery. It was a little over $7,000 and I just had to pay it. Get insurance. It's worth it.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »