Author Topic: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 60111 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #750 on: June 11, 2023, 12:28:20 AM »
https://dubz.co/c/67c225

Charles Oliveira KOs Beneil Dariush  :-[

Beneil is a journey man but dammit he gave us some great comeback KOs in his time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shouldn't

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #751 on: June 11, 2023, 03:22:44 PM »
beneil is great but charles is the real champion, i don’t think he was there for the islam fight, that was evident last night. i think he wins the rematch and stays on top. amanda is the greatest female fighter of all time. huge night for canada but brazil takes the win.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #752 on: June 24, 2023, 04:10:22 PM »
holy shit Toupria is for real. I hope Josh Emmett retires after tonight. He's taken so much punishment in his career and he's already 38. Dude is too tough for his own good.

Maycee Barber also looked the best she ever has. Great card today.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #753 on: June 24, 2023, 11:12:22 PM »
holy shit Toupria is for real. I hope Josh Emmett retires after tonight. He's taken so much punishment in his career and he's already 38. Dude is too tough for his own good.

Maycee Barber also looked the best she ever has. Great card today.
if anything i think a rematch with kattar would make sense for emmett coming off 2 losses & kattar off of an injury, they’re both getting up there in age obviously. going back to back with yair & topuria was a death sentence for emmett, crazy to see him & vettori both show unbelievable chins/heart back to back within a week. featherweight is getting really interesting again.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #754 on: July 08, 2023, 09:05:46 AM »
https://www.fightprimer.com/robbie-lawler-rebirth-and-retirement

Fun read / listen if you're a huge Robbie Lawler fan, really enjoyed his 2nd run in the UFC, his savage power refined with sharp technique was something to behold.

Hope we can see Ruthless appear 1 last time tonight.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #755 on: July 08, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »

Fun read / listen if you're a huge Robbie Lawler fan, really enjoyed his 2nd run in the UFC, his savage power refined with sharp technique was something to behold.

Niko Price is from my hometown and I've had a few interactions with him. He's always been the most respectful and down to earth dude. It's hard to root against Robbie but I'll always pull for Niko.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #756 on: July 08, 2023, 06:45:03 PM »

God damnit I was taking a piss during his fight.  I'm glad they let him go out like that, we all know how the UFC usually shows gratitude to the pioneer's of the sport.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #757 on: July 08, 2023, 07:56:04 PM »
With an Uppercut to the chin… i don’t think he even took any damage? Amazing way to finish a career…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: July 09, 2023, 10:43:42 PM »
With an Uppercut to the chin… i don’t think he even took any damage? Amazing way to finish a career…
yeah that was great, i picked him to win despite most legends not going out like that (aldo, cowboy, frankie, jorje… e.c.t.) but i really didn’t expect him to make it look that easy. didn’t expect bo to ko woodruff in the first minute as well either, i think if they don’t rush him he will be a big star one day. did not expect dricus to pull that off, did rob look off or am i still just trying to cope? bummed moreno lost too, rematch will definitely be next. after how fucking good that fight was, maybe it becomes the new figuerdo fight & just keeps going and going. & last but not least volk is one of the goats, no questions asked & no way to debate. undefeated in the ufc other than a single loss to the champion at a higher weight class, which some people (myself included) think he won. dude just does not get enough credit.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: July 10, 2023, 01:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah that was great, i picked him to win despite most legends not going out like that (aldo, cowboy, frankie, jorje… e.c.t.) but i really didn’t expect him to make it look that easy. didn’t expect bo to ko woodruff in the first minute as well either, i think if they don’t rush him he will be a big star one day. did not expect dricus to pull that off, did rob look off or am i still just trying to cope? bummed moreno lost too, rematch will definitely be next. after how fucking good that fight was, maybe it becomes the new figuerdo fight & just keeps going and going. & last but not least volk is one of the goats, no questions asked & no way to debate. undefeated in the ufc other than a single loss to the champion at a higher weight class, which some people (myself included) think he won. dude just does not get enough credit.

We didn't get a vintage slugfest from Ruthless but at this stage in his career that is a blessing for us and him. His movement was looking sharp, reminiscent of the 2nd McDonald fight, and his power still remained to close out the fight with zero damage taken.

Fairy tales endings don't happen often in MMA, so I'm going to savor this one.

Rockhold's last fight was a great showing too, he gassed after the first but showed his tenacity and bloodlust in the 3rd. Should have stay retired instead of going to BKFC.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

We didn't get a vintage slugfest from Ruthless but at this stage in his career that is a blessing for us and him. His movement was looking sharp, reminiscent of the 2nd McDonald fight, and his power still remained to close out the fight with zero damage taken.

Fairy tales endings don't happen often in MMA, so I'm going to savor this one.

Rockhold's last fight was a great showing too, he gassed after the first but showed his tenacity and bloodlust in the 3rd. Should have stay retired instead of going to BKFC.
well paulo broke luke’s nose in the first & they were at elevation otherwise it could have been a different fight. with bkfc, he just should have gotten a better mouth guard. he was having success against perry in round 1 as well.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: July 10, 2023, 12:38:31 PM »
How does everyone else feel about Izzy's racist comments after DDP's win? I've been a fan of Israel since his debut, but that behavior really turned me off. DDP never once said he's, "more African," or, "the real African fighter." Thats been completely concocted by the media. Izzy acted extremely immature and I hope DDP wins the belt.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: July 10, 2023, 01:37:33 PM »
How does everyone else feel about Izzy's racist comments after DDP's win? I've been a fan of Israel since his debut, but that behavior really turned me off. DDP never once said he's, "more African," or, "the real African fighter." Thats been completely concocted by the media. Izzy acted extremely immature and I hope DDP wins the belt.
yeah it wasn’t a good look at all but ddp did say that, just not in those words. he said “i’m the african fighting in the ufc, i live in africa and breathe the air, that’s a real african champion & that’s what i’ll be”. while it isn’t directly saying “izzy, usman & ngannou aren’t african” it’s certainly suggesting it and it wasn’t the best thing to say to sell himself. not defending izzy’s bullshit but i can understand why he was offended.

aleksander

• Rep: 124
« Reply #763 on: July 10, 2023, 08:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah it wasn’t a good look at all but ddp did say that, just not in those words. he said “i’m the african fighting in the ufc, i live in africa and breathe the air, that’s a real african champion & that’s what i’ll be”. while it isn’t directly saying “izzy, usman & ngannou aren’t african” it’s certainly suggesting it and it wasn’t the best thing to say to sell himself. not defending izzy’s bullshit but i can understand why he was offended.

Yeah, I can see how Adesanya would take offense to the perceived slight about his African-ness, but then how he went about trying to defend it was just so goddamn stupid. He's saying "Oh if you're an African, then you're an n-word." Guess what? A shitload of Africans and African Americans don't want to be called that at all. I guess he thought he could bait DDP into saying some ignorant shit himself.

Honestly so sick of all the guys who obvuiously script what they're going to say or have their team do it, like send that shit back to the trash can.  I know it made Conor millions and even Chael was funny, but things like Colby Covington and Henry Cejudo and Izzy's "elsa" and 911 lines are just so corny.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #764 on: July 10, 2023, 09:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cringe on both side, but bigger dick move by the UFC to put DPP on the spot there to respond to Izzy instead of letting him have his time in the spotlight.

The UFC keeps putting fighters on the spot like this, just like how Joe Rogan complains on his podcast that he shouldn't be interviewing the losing fighter after a KO, and still does it anyway.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2023, 11:21:36 PM »
okay so, after seeing the dominance of the wrestling thread over this one, can we get more discussions going on in here or maybe recruit some users towards ufc (sarcastic laughing that maybe isn’t so sarcastic, call it a “mr.burns chuckle” if you will)?? i think the dilemma in mma is it being seen as “jocky” whilst the top thread in whatever is about wwe? doesn’t make sense to me, i understand being a fan of the visuals or the drama without the attachment of real violence might be key but, it’s apart of the sport, not a faked visual presentation of the same with more drama/story & less/no violence. all while the biggest sport there is (in america at least) being football, which is arguably just as violent. i just think that the ufc (mma in general) gets duped as being a slugfest between two randoms due to the general synopsis created by non-watchers & is silently over written to the public from people doing their homework & realizing the tactics/strategies and the true art behind mma.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #766 on: July 13, 2023, 03:17:41 AM »
okay so, after seeing the dominance of the wrestling thread over this one, can we get more discussions going on in here or maybe recruit some users towards ufc (sarcastic laughing that maybe isn’t so sarcastic, call it a “mr.burns chuckle” if you will)?? i think the dilemma in mma is it being seen as “jocky” whilst the top thread in whatever is about wwe? doesn’t make sense to me, i understand being a fan of the visuals or the drama without the attachment of real violence might be key but, it’s apart of the sport, not a faked visual presentation of the same with more drama/story & less/no violence. all while the biggest sport there is (in america at least) being football, which is arguably just as violent. i just think that the ufc (mma in general) gets duped as being a slugfest between two randoms due to the general synopsis created by non-watchers & is silently over written to the public from people doing their homework & realizing the tactics/strategies and the true art behind mma.

I started watching MMA in the late 00's when it was pretty much labeled as trashy redneck shit.  It's a lot more polished and socially accepted now, but MMA fighters tend to be insufferable and dumb as shit.  I have a hard time really being a fan of anyone.  Add in all the ties to Trump and conservative politcs don't help it's image either.

aleksander

• Rep: 124
« Reply #767 on: July 14, 2023, 07:36:55 PM »

A great question. It's tough to compete against the WWE because it is entertainment by design. It plays into the same tropes and fight scenes that action movies and westerns have been using for a century. I don't want to talk shit on WWE fans because as a kid I loved it, but it takes zero effort to follow the basic plot.

The sport of MMA itself is in a weird spot where it can simultaneously be labelled "aggro jock shit" for the swangin' and bangin' side, and "gay" for full guard, north-south, etc. It's also "as real as it gets" for fighting, but also can be hella boring when it's lay and pray style. A lot of paradoxes.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: July 17, 2023, 10:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I started watching MMA in the late 00's when it was pretty much labeled as trashy redneck shit.  It's a lot more polished and socially accepted now, but MMA fighters tend to be insufferable and dumb as shit.  I have a hard time really being a fan of anyone.  Add in all the ties to Trump and conservative politcs don't help it's image either.
right but i related it to how much more popular wwe is & always has been and just look at it… if anything i think that reasoning is why more people are fans of wwe. i haven’t watched it since the stone cold/rock days, which were pretty gritty, so maybe it’s changed but… if any sport is overly right & cringe especially as far as fan base i would lean towards them. colby/masvidal aren’t the faces of mma. but i do get your point.
Expand Quote
[close]

A great question. It's tough to compete against the WWE because it is entertainment by design. It plays into the same tropes and fight scenes that action movies and westerns have been using for a century. I don't want to talk shit on WWE fans because as a kid I loved it, but it takes zero effort to follow the basic plot.

The sport of MMA itself is in a weird spot where it can simultaneously be labelled "aggro jock shit" for the swangin' and bangin' side, and "gay" for full guard, north-south, etc. It's also "as real as it gets" for fighting, but also can be hella boring when it's lay and pray style. A lot of paradoxes.
yeah you have a point here. wwe is like “hey i’ve never seen a fight before i wanna see spray tanned guys with mullets yell at each other about how they don’t get laid & then have some dramatic clash where nobody gets hurt”. seems kinda more for the simple folk than “hey i want to see how this guys grappling can help him against such a good striker” (not to hate). i think covid really helped ufc become a lot bigger than it was before due to being the only sport to continue do events during lockdown. despite it being a tacky choice to a lot of people, when you’re locked in your house for months & your a sports fan with no live action the entire time… you’re bound to eventually find a new source of entertainment when there’s nothing else available.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #769 on: July 28, 2023, 05:55:01 AM »
Got a text at 6 AM this morning from my brother saying he just ran into and Niko Price at the gym. Niko is the hometown hero and my brother said he was as nice as could be. Super down to earth and gave him his full attention. My brother said Niko gave him knucks and it literally hurt. That text alone was enough to get me up and out of bed. super stoked he got to meet him. Niko and I graduated the same year but went to different high schools.

I used to run a float spa/ isolation tank spa, and I always tried to get Niko to come in and float for free. He was super cool and interested in coming through, but we were never able to make it work. The dude is a hardworking and respectful family man. I'll always root for him.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2023, 07:06:52 PM »
This is Gareth Stehr reporting to you live! Watch party goin' on as I speak. If you don't got the stream, these guys are your buds. Luv them!

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2023, 08:00:49 PM »
Damn…. think that’s it for Ferguson..

DERRICK LEWIS H TOWN GOAT
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:20:10 PM by BallDontLie »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: July 29, 2023, 10:06:56 PM »
His balls was hot

Poirier vs Gaethje  :'( - love'em both just hate seeing a KO like that
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #773 on: July 29, 2023, 10:21:20 PM »
His balls was hot

Poirier vs Gaethje  :'( - love'em both just hate seeing a KO like that

So bummed… Always rooting for diamond…

Damn good card tho

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #774 on: July 30, 2023, 07:16:03 AM »
Tony made Bobby Green look like a dominant wrestler. Time to hang it up, bud.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #775 on: July 30, 2023, 12:58:33 PM »
I did not anticipate that from derrick.

What a kick, Justin has really improved.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #776 on: July 30, 2023, 01:37:43 PM »
Was trying my best last night to watch both events on two different laptops.  Didn't get home till around 9:30 central time and was a bit more focused on boxing.  I was a bit bummed on Isaac Cruz's performance, I've really enjoyed watching him every time I've seen him.  He put some heat on a lot of those punches, but still felt like he should've been able to finish that dude.  Split decision is insane though.  Crawford really won me over with his performance.  That was a hell of a beatdown.

Caught the final 3 UFC events, tuned in right as they announced the winnter of Green/Ferguson.  Didn't catch the Ferg fight, but it's truly sad to see these legends washed up like that.  I'll give it to Tony, All of his fights have been against killers(except for maybe Diaz lol), But good lord, pay these guys enough so that they aren't getting paid for brain damage.

I was halfway watching the Jan/Alex fight and it didn't look like Jan was doing a whole lot of damage while he was in control?  I really like both guys, but wasn't paying enough attention to have an opinion on whether Jan got robbed.  Looked like close enough of a fight to me.

Lewis fight was fun, a lot of these heavyweight fights feel like a spectacle more than a sport sometimes lol.

Main event was a banger.  I liked seeing the respect between the two guys.  Trash talk can be fun, but it gets old after a while.  Admittedly, I loved the Diaz brothers, but I"m just burnt out seeing all the headlines for trashy comments about fighters families.  What a shot by Gaethje, and good restraint by not pummeling his unconscious face in.

All in all, best night of combat sports I've watched in forever.  I was legit glued to both screens and holding my piss in so I wouldn't miss anything.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:01:19 PM by igrindtwinkies »

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: July 30, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »
what an amazing ufc card last night. I'm most impressed with Gabriel Bonfim. that guy is going places.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #778 on: July 30, 2023, 06:48:00 PM »
I don't recall Gaethje ever going high with his kicks, always going low and chopping. First high one he throws he gets a KO.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: July 30, 2023, 09:20:58 PM »
gaethje got revenge for his teammate a year later with the same move, amazing. pirera won, it was very close but he won. tony… ah tony  :-\ looked great in the first round, drops bobby & then immediately gets eye poked… same dude who just finished his last fight by head butting someone. not saying tony was going to win if that didn’t happen but, it surely changed the trajectory of the fight. great to see black beast get another ko finally. kevin holland should stay at welter weight. great card through and through.