Author Topic: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 59790 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1435
Re: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2022, 04:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Are we sure that wasn't just Brock in a super convincing Ngannou cosplay?

I actually knocked my bong over when he channeled Davey Boy Smith and fucking powerslammed him. You could almost see that as the point where Gane realized he wasn't in there with a human. Patient, level changing, guard passing, hook sinking Francis is fucking terrifying. Ever since the first Stipe fight he looks like a different person and you can tell he has one of the best corners and teams in the UFC.

The scary thing is he may have just done that on one knee.
[close]

Gane’s still at the top of the pack at HW though, if he works on his grappling more, he’s going to be a major problem. I still think he can beat Francis. I’d like to see him vs Stipe or Apsinall eventually.

I’m just glad he never fought Curtis Blaydes though.

I have a soft spot for Gane though, I saw his second pro fight in TKO here in Quebec when he beat the ever-loving fuck out of Adam Dyczka. I stood 5 feet away from him, he’s gigantic, I can only imagine how big Francis is.

Props to Francis though, he fought a very smart fight and his BJJ has improved so much. I loved the panic in DC’s voice when he went “Oh my goodness he’s doing jiu-jitsu now”.

DC is thanking God almighty he never had to fight Francis

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #571 on: January 24, 2022, 05:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I actually knocked my bong over when he channeled Davey Boy Smith and fucking powerslammed him. You could almost see that as the point where Gane realized he wasn't in there with a human. Patient, level changing, guard passing, hook sinking Francis is fucking terrifying. Ever since the first Stipe fight he looks like a different person and you can tell he has one of the best corners and teams in the UFC.

[close]

Gane’s still at the top of the pack at HW though, if he works on his grappling more, he’s going to be a major problem. I still think he can beat Francis. I’d like to see him vs Stipe or Apsinall eventually.

I have a soft spot for Gane though, I saw his second pro fight in TKO here in Quebec when he beat the ever-loving fuck out of Adam Dyczka. I stood 5 feet away from him, he’s gigantic, I can only imagine how big Francis is.

Props to Francis though, he fought a very smart fight and his BJJ has improved so much. I loved the panic in DC’s voice when he went “Oh my goodness he’s doing jiu-jitsu now”.
[close]

DC is thanking God almighty he never had to fight Francis

I just watched the fight. It's super impressive how much Francis has improved and adjusted. He's not only a freakishly gifted athlete he also must be able to learn new skills super quickly. How long do you think it would take him to learn a kickflip?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh I think Gane is very good but he's definitely got room to improve. When his game plan didn't work he was either unwilling or unable to adapt and when it's the former its usually down to immaturity or ineffective cornering and I think you could definitely make a case for both of those being on display in that fight. If he keeps evolving then I definitely see him having a belt in the future... I just don't know if he'll ever take it off the predator.

At any rate I doubt he's getting a chance anytime soon because I can definitely see Francis getting stripped in the coming year. He apparently not only needs surgery on both knees but also wants to box and is apparently talking to Jake Paul? I know he wants more money and Dana doesn't like him, so we all know how that usually plays out.

alexbjorn

• Rep: -2
« Reply #573 on: February 05, 2022, 10:50:00 AM »
I've noticed that Francis has excellent potential. If only because he never stopped growing in technique and speed with each new fight. Also, to me, Francis is more agile than the other fighters. When he moves in the ring, he calculates everything very professionally, and it's hard for me to make UFC Predictions. I just bet on him when I have the money and am confident that this dude will conquer everyone. Watching him for a long time and love watching interviews. After videos like this, I started better to understand people's train of thought during a fight.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 01:51:09 PM by alexbjorn »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
My boy Marc-André Barriault is fighting tonight. He’s welcoming Chidi Njokuani to the UFC, should be interesting.

Trained with him a few times when I started BJJ, dude is strong as an ox.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: February 05, 2022, 02:52:14 PM »
Oh no my boy got starched in 15 seconds goddamn. First time getting finished.

https://streamja.com/Xqajo

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #576 on: February 05, 2022, 07:58:47 PM »
Oh no my boy got starched in 15 seconds goddamn. First time getting finished.

https://streamja.com/Xqajo

Damn that's brutal. Your boy got clobbered

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: February 12, 2022, 09:07:29 PM »
Second round of Tai Tuivasa vs Derrick Lewis was complete fucking insanity

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #578 on: February 12, 2022, 10:15:35 PM »
i can’t believe derrick lewis got slept like that. israel is the fucking champ. i think he should be ranked the best pound for pound fighter. cannonier fight was great, looking forward to seeing him against iggy this summer.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: February 12, 2022, 11:30:41 PM »
i can’t believe derrick lewis got slept like that. israel is the fucking champ. i think he should be ranked the best pound for pound fighter. cannonier fight was great, looking forward to seeing him against iggy this summer.

Black beast not up in this hoe.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #580 on: March 26, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
Goddamn! Special rules: 3 mins of striking, then 3 mins of grappling, etc.

watch before it gets taken down; the vid is not as long as it appears.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: March 26, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »
That shit was wild! Respect to Dj for getting paid after having to deal with the crooks in the ufc

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #582 on: March 26, 2022, 11:52:51 AM »
Also WAR SEXIYAMA

Lol that Shinya KO was hilarious

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: March 26, 2022, 06:26:46 PM »
Matt Brown vs Bryan Barbarena was one of the sloppiest fights I've ever seen and I loved every second of it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: March 26, 2022, 08:13:24 PM »
Goddamn! Special rules: 3 mins of striking, then 3 mins of grappling, etc.

watch before it gets taken down; the vid is not as long as it appears.

I think DJ might be my GOAT. I really wish he wasn't fun size because it's not just his insane record and division dominance, it's the way he does shit. Dude wins fights with flying armbar finishes straight out of pro wrestling and now he holds his own in a muay Thai round with one of the best pure strikers on the planet then masterfully submits him with textbook submission grappling when the balls in his court. And he's a bright, thoughtful, entertaining dude. He is, as the kids say, built different.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: April 10, 2022, 09:45:31 AM »
Fun card last night. Few snoozers but the good fights were awesome. Here’s some thoughts:

Chimaev vs Burns is fight of the year so far. So many people wrote Burns off but dude’s a bad motherfucker with tons of heart.

Chimaev said he recognized the submission threat in the first and decided to keep the fight standing even if his coach was going apeshit. Khamzat needs to be a little less reckless if he wants to beat either Colby or Usman because I think they can both beat him.

For a guy that’s only been striking for 4 years, he impressed the hell out of me. I loved to see a humble Khamzat at the end, he gave Burns all the props in the world. Dude’s also got some Gaethje craziness in him, his chin is nuts. Even after eating bombs he still just keeps marching forward with crazy pressure.

I thought Yan had it 2-1 personally, I was expecting a better performance from him though. Stoked for Aljo I gotta say, dude had SO MUCH pressure on him. Imagine that: an American getting boo’d in in the States while the Russian gets the cheers, that must be a shitty feeling for Aljo.

I can’t see Volk losing anytime soon. The Max that fought Yair isn’t beating him at all and Max is one of my favourite fighters. This was an absolute masterclass and made Jung look like a bum from the regional scene (and i love the Zombie). It was getting hard to watch towards the end, Jung was taking so much damage, even Volk was concerned.

I’m seriously starting to get GSP vibes from Volk. Everything is technically flawless and he keeps improving exponentially everytime. He will be champion for a long time.

And props to Old Man Oleinik on getting his 60th win at 44 years old… with a fucking Scarf Hold of all things. That technique SUCKS to get caught in and will make you feel like puking your lungs out. If you do end up getting out, your energy bar is completely drained. Vanderaa started dry heaving after and his coach had to bring him his bucket after the fight.

That is all for today, I’m baked and hungover and 4 coffee’s deep.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #586 on: April 22, 2022, 03:53:15 PM »
i thought aljo clearly won first 3 rounds.  im still bitter for what he did to cory but was very satisfying him getting the win after suffering such hate(?!) because peter yams fouled him in the first fight.
volkanovski put on a masterclass, was hard to watch by the end.  just a beatdown.  you could see he felt bad and kept wanting zombie to call it a day so he didnt have to hurt him more.  hes a good soul.
khamzat burns was epic.
cant wait for oliveira v gaethje, will be bittersweet whoever wins cos i love them both.  been a fan of oliveira since the calfslicer.  may root for olives or may just sit back and enjoy the carnage idk.
i pray tony beats chandler but age and injuries seems to have caught up with him.
be good to see rose back too.
hope jones v stipe isnt just a rumour, that would rock

LB

« Reply #587 on: April 24, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
damn.  ive seen fish hooking the mouth but fish hooking the eye is a new one.  glad he got dq.
hurt to see my boy lando lose again but that was a sweet japanese necktie or guili or whatever it was

LB

« Reply #588 on: April 24, 2022, 09:31:11 AM »
wow beautiful grappling in the puelles guida fight

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: April 24, 2022, 09:49:31 AM »
wow beautiful grappling in the puelles guida fight

https://streamja.com/bwapv

As a life-long fan of MMA (Vitor vs Tank Abbot was my first fight) and someone who's been training BJJ for 3 and a half years (also closely follows the scene)... that was the slickest and quickest kneebar entry I've ever seen. Whether in MMA or in BJJ matches... that's the one.

Also super stoked on my two Quebec boys, Charles Jourdain and Marc-André Barriault on their guillotines last night. Guillotine so good that Vannata lost his pants over it.

I've trained with both guys (Jourdain and I train under BTT and Marc's come in the gym a few times), and it makes me so happy to see them on the big stage. Barriault really needed this win, and Charles has a lot of potential star power.

Bellator card was pretty good as well, you guys should watch the Yancy Medeiros vs Emanuel Sanchez fight... fuckin' barnburner.

LB

« Reply #590 on: April 24, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
holy shit standing arm triangle.
i dont train but would like to one day.  the only gym in reasonable distance is all men(im a woman).  may go for a free lesson to check the lay of the land.  be happ to train with men. the werent rude on the phone but werent exactly encouraging. can imagine it being abit macho broey.  i know every gym is different.
i like ebi, polaris etc
whats your fave sub or sweep?
will check yancy sanchez, cheers

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: April 24, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
holy shit standing arm triangle.
i dont train but would like to one day.  the only gym in reasonable distance is all men(im a woman).  may go for a free lesson to check the lay of the land.  be happ to train with men. the werent rude on the phone but werent exactly encouraging. can imagine it being abit macho broey.  i know every gym is different.
i like ebi, polaris etc
whats your fave sub or sweep?
will check yancy sanchez, cheers

I think you should at least give it a try, look what's available in your area. If you don't like it, at least you can say you tried. Sometimes a gym that's a bit further out of the way is also worth it. I'm lucky, mine's a 7 minute drive away but I'd happily drive 45-60 mins for a good gym with a good vibe. We have a guy that lives about 80 km away and still shows up at least 3x a week.

The gym I train at has a big focus on hard-nosed, heavy pressure based BJJ.  We don't have too many girls, but our girls are daaaaamn good. When they drop in to other places, they usually run through the other girls with ease. Shit, I'm 6'1 205 and there's a few of our girls that can easily mop the floor with me. We are SUPER careful when training with women, safety is #1. I actually love rolling with women: I don't get to use my physical attributes (size+ strength + weight) and can focus solely on my technique. One of my go-to partners is a girl that's 5'6 125 lbs and she's real good, shit she almost put me to sleep more than once.

Do you know what affiliation the gym close to your place is under ?

Reason they might not have been super encouraging at first is simply because there's always a ton of eager white belts that show up, only to leave a few weeks later and never come back. It ain't easy and the drop-out rate is gigantic. Mine wasn't enthusiastic either, yet they're like family to me now.

Not all gyms are macho-broey, but there's always one or two meat heads. They're usually dumb but won't hurt you. Our meathead/roidhead is one of the safest guys to roll with. He's so fucking strong he literally makes sure you land safely on the mat after a takedown. No matter the fall, he will carry you and make sure you aren't hurt. Trying to hit a sweep on him is like trying to sweep a tree stump though.

As for subs, I'm an armlock guy, and I looooove a good gi choke (cross choke, loop choke, bow n arrow etc..). Leglocks are starting to come into play for me as well, yet I'm still quite green.

Fav guard pass is the over/under followed by the Matt Darcy "Death Pass". Pretty much anything from halfguard where I can cook you to the bone and tire you out with pressure.

Sweeps ? Depends if I'm in gi or nogi. I love a good John Wayne sweep (got 3-4 diff variations), scissor and flower sweep are paramount to your game and i've been toying a lot with the Jedi Mind Trick lately, although it's still it its early stages for now. I could talk about this all day, feel from to PM me if you have any other questions !

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: April 24, 2022, 12:49:37 PM »
That was an incredible kneebar Holy shit

LB

« Reply #593 on: April 24, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »

As for subs, I'm an armlock guy, and I looooove a good gi choke (cross choke, loop choke, bow n arrow etc..). Leglocks are starting to come into play for me as well, yet I'm still quite green.

Fav guard pass is the over/under followed by the Matt Darcy "Death Pass". Pretty much anything from halfguard where I can cook you to the bone and tire you out with pressure.

Sweeps ? Depends if I'm in gi or nogi. I love a good John Wayne sweep (got 3-4 diff variations), scissor and flower sweep are paramount to your game and i've been toying a lot with the Jedi Mind Trick lately, although it's still it its early stages for now. I could talk about this all day, feel from to PM me if you have any other questions !

lol had to look up the jedi mind trick, thats cool as fuck.
i just wanna be able to disinterestedly choke someone out with my legs while im reading a book and shit like that.  doesnt get any cooler than that.
coolest for me (granted i just watch on the internet and youtubejitsu) is imaniri to heelhook and this thing ryan hall demonstrated.  basically a hip bump sweep but dont control the arm so they post to counter, then use the space to wrap up a triangle in one fluid motion.
looking further afield theres oxfordbjj with a guy whos won ibjjf britains.  they do a womens lesson on a sunday then an open mat after which if im allowed on the guys can chuck me around like an empty tracksuit.  plus fundamentals in evenings i could prob make if the trains are on time.
once i get over my covid paranoia im gonna do it, been wanting to for several years.
bet it makes you a better skater too?  if you can manipulate a resisting opponent then a plank of wood prob seems easier?  similar body mechanics, exact micro movements at exact right time for specific results.
ill defo pm you when i start and rabbit on like a maniac, thank you

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: April 24, 2022, 02:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

lol had to look up the jedi mind trick, thats cool as fuck.
i just wanna be able to disinterestedly choke someone out with my legs while im reading a book and shit like that.  doesnt get any cooler than that.
coolest for me (granted i just watch on the internet and youtubejitsu) is imaniri to heelhook and this thing ryan hall demonstrated.  basically a hip bump sweep but dont control the arm so they post to counter, then use the space to wrap up a triangle in one fluid motion.
looking further afield theres oxfordbjj with a guy whos won ibjjf britains.  they do a womens lesson on a sunday then an open mat after which if im allowed on the guys can chuck me around like an empty tracksuit.  plus fundamentals in evenings i could prob make if the trains are on time.
once i get over my covid paranoia im gonna do it, been wanting to for several years.
bet it makes you a better skater too?  if you can manipulate a resisting opponent then a plank of wood prob seems easier?  similar body mechanics, exact micro movements at exact right time for specific results.
ill defo pm you when i start and rabbit on like a maniac, thank you

Start with woman’s class and fundamentals absolutely… there’s SO much technical details, it really reminds me of skating.

Big fan of Ryan Hall… only thing is if you don’t have Ryan Hall’s level of flexibilty and hip mobility, his game is not for everybody. A lot of what he teaches, I can’t do.

I can’t say it made me a better skater, I started with 20 years of skating under my belt, and I don’t skate much these days due to my back being fucked. I guess it could, my core has never been stronger.

If anything, skating made me a better BJJ player. Shoulder rolls, falling, footwork, ability to better understand technical moves, handling injuries, tenacity, etc… it translates real well. Just like skating, there’s a ton of trial and error, reps and patience involved.

Once you find the right crew, it feels like your skate homies, if not tighter since the level of trust is so high.

Look up Ffion Davies and Brianna Ste-Marie… the two baddest women in the game… absolute beasts in both gi and nogi and two cool-ass individuals. Grace Gundrum is another up and comer under 10th Planet, she’s sick too and she’s like 18.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: May 07, 2022, 08:59:10 PM »
Holy shit Tony Ferg got knocked the fuck OUT

https://streamja.com/5KPjN

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: May 07, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »
The ferg fall continues. Any of you got a good stream

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: May 07, 2022, 10:49:18 PM »

I know I'm late and I don't want to link to any questionable sites but if you google "mmastreams" it will give you a bunch of sites where the streamers will post their links. It's basically all the same shit you used to find on reddit, not the greatest but most of them are watchable. I usually open a couple different tabs so if the stream gets shut down I just switch to a different one.

Oh and if there's a chat make sure that you close it, lest ye bear witness to a bunch of people too dumb for 4chan desperately spouting hot takes and being racist edgelords.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #598 on: May 08, 2022, 02:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know I'm late and I don't want to link to any questionable sites but if you google "mmastreams" it will give you a bunch of sites where the streamers will post their links. It's basically all the same shit you used to find on reddit, not the greatest but most of them are watchable. I usually open a couple different tabs so if the stream gets shut down I just switch to a different one.

Oh and if there's a chat make sure that you close it, lest ye bear witness to a bunch of people too dumb for 4chan desperately spouting hot takes and being racist edgelords.

Same, some are inconsistent but just have a few tabs open and be ready to swap if 1 of them freezes.

Damn I hate seeing Tony Ferguson get KO'd like that, he looked unstoppable leading up the Khabib fight that never materialized. I just want to see him dodge rolling and cutting guys up with his elbows, not be asleep on the canvas for 2 minutes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LB

« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2022, 07:01:50 AM »
poor Tony, was concerned for him before this fight but that was worst possible outcome.  he should have got his title shot years ago.  hes my fave fighter but think he should retire.
main event was brilliant, glad charles won but feel bad for gaethje.  watch them give conor a title shot next and fuck over the entire division again.
rose gave her belt away.  gonna watch prelims now