Author Topic: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 60105 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
Re: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #780 on: July 31, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »

doostin did this interview with ariel today. worth a listen to. he seems like in good spirits, cracking jokes about getting hulk hogan booted in the head and then people's elbowed by herb dean. he was brutally honest about the situation, how he feels heartbroken, and what he wants to do next.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #781 on: August 03, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »
Tony really makes me sad. He needs to retire. He hasn't even been competitive outside of the first round of the Chandler fight. Not to mention the decades Justin shaved off his life

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #782 on: August 03, 2023, 08:18:02 PM »

doostin did this interview with ariel today. worth a listen to. he seems like in good spirits, cracking jokes about getting hulk hogan booted in the head and then people's elbowed by herb dean. he was brutally honest about the situation, how he feels heartbroken, and what he wants to do next.

He's a classy dude even in his defeat to Khabib, Him and Gaethje are 1 a piece and I'd like to see the rubber match.

Tony really makes me sad. He needs to retire. He hasn't even been competitive outside of the first round of the Chandler fight. Not to mention the decades Justin shaved off his life

I didn't watch the Bobby Green fight but Tony shouldn't be losing to someone whose last submission win was in 2013.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #783 on: August 03, 2023, 08:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He's a classy dude even in his defeat to Khabib, Him and Gaethje are 1 a piece and I'd like to see the rubber match.

Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't watch the Bobby Green fight but Tony shouldn't be losing to someone whose last submission win was in 2013.

This interview and his post fight press conference reminded me a lot of when Dom Cruz lost to Cody Garbrandt and how he handled it.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #784 on: August 03, 2023, 10:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This interview and his post fight press conference reminded me a lot of when Dom Cruz lost to Cody Garbrandt and how he handled it.
have you guys not seen how he acts when he wins a lot of the time though? i’m a big porier fan, one of my favorite fighters but he can really be a shit head after a win. one good example being the smack talk right after the dan hooker fight before the decision where he almost got finished himself. also the shit after the chandler fight where chandler tried to make peace & he shot him down. best chandler line ever was responding to porier saying “this is my house!” & chandler responding with “this modelo logo…?”  ;D

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #785 on: August 04, 2023, 03:11:25 AM »
^Everyone is saying the chander/mcgregor fight is dead now, but I think it still has legs. Chandler is an energetic beast when he needs to be. That clip of Mcgregor shuving him, then him getting all hyped still makes me want to see it. Its interesting: if Conor really did do steroids, though — can't blame him cause he was nursing a broken bone — it's just going to show up in the drug testing. I remember the Jon jones "pinch of salt in an olympic sized swimming pool" controversy, so it seems that the level of usada testing is soo sensitive that it could catch the slightest bit of something.

-Anyone going to tune into the Diaz/Paul boxing fight?

It feels like Diaz is trying to let everything slide of his shoulders when being trash talked. Weird how he focuses in on Paul's lackys more than paul himself.

I'm kind of leaning Paul. It's his wheelhouse. He has most, if not all, the advantages. And Nate is a bit of a weathered warrior. Part of the narratives of a "Diaz brother never actually loses a fight" and them being portrayed as "tough" or "real" fighters compared to everyone else who also competes is something I've never really liked. But I could see why people love them. If Nates starts relying on his toughness too much and eats a lot of shots, I could see the ref stepping in. But maybe his volume could get to Paul, or just leave himself open to a power right from him.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #786 on: August 04, 2023, 04:30:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That was so satisfying to me… Dom was relentless with his trash talk…. I was a fan of Cody after that fight. Not too sure these days.

But yeah Dustin is the man… handled that L with grace. Khabib did say Gaethje is the hardest hitter he’s ever faced IIRC.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #787 on: August 04, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That was so satisfying to me… Dom was relentless with his trash talk…. I was a fan of Cody after that fight. Not too sure these days.

But yeah Dustin is the man… handled that L with grace. Khabib did say Gaethje is the hardest hitter he’s ever faced IIRC.

I was at adult summer camp aka rehab with a guy who from Ohio who I became buddies with, who was really close with Cody and used to watch him wrestle as a kid. Said he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. My buddy was also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I like my Ohio the same way I like my women - high in the middle and round on both sides yaknomsayn.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #788 on: August 04, 2023, 08:20:48 AM »
^Everyone is saying the chander/mcgregor fight is dead now, but I think it still has legs. Chandler is an energetic beast when he needs to be. That clip of Mcgregor shuving him, then him getting all hyped still makes me want to see it. Its interesting: if Conor really did do steroids, though — can't blame him cause he was nursing a broken bone — it's just going to show up in the drug testing. I remember the Jon jones "pinch of salt in an olympic sized swimming pool" controversy, so it seems that the level of usada testing is soo sensitive that it could catch the slightest bit of something.

It feels like Diaz is trying to let everything slide of his shoulders when being trash talked. Weird how he focuses in on Paul's lackys more than paul himself.

I'm kind of leaning Paul. It's his wheelhouse. He has most, if not all, the advantages. And Nate is a bit of a weathered warrior. Part of the narratives of a "Diaz brother never actually loses a fight" and them being portrayed as "tough" or "real" fighters compared to everyone else who also competes is something I've never really liked. But I could see why people love them. If Nates starts relying on his toughness too much and eats a lot of shots, I could see the ref stepping in. But maybe his volume could get to Paul, or just leave himself open to a power right from him.

I think the McGregor fight is dead because Conor is on way too much gear and i don't trust him to get it together anymore.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #789 on: August 04, 2023, 09:28:39 AM »

Story of the McGregor rematch, Nate had him on the rope but decided to just put up the bull guard and march forward while relying on his toughness, allowing McGregor to work his body, move and recover.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: August 04, 2023, 12:30:08 PM »
what are everyone's thoughts on Sandhagen v Font tomorrow night? Sandhagen has been a favorite of mine since I first saw him fight a few years ago. I think he's going to dance around Rob and keep him guessing, mix up his wrestling, and just piece him up from the outside. Sandhagen has so many tools and ways to finish the fight, whereas Rob has score a KO/ TKO or be damn near perfect for 25 minutes to get it done. Definitely not counting Rob out. Dude has incredibly crisp boxing technique, but I feel that this is going to be a masterclass for Sandhagen. 

I can't wait to see Sean O'Malley vs Sandhagen, whenever that does happen.

Also, Diego Lopes (the guy who debuted against Evloev on short notice and gave him a really good fight) is having his 2nd fight in the UFC after his first full fight camp. Can't wait to see that fight.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: August 04, 2023, 01:11:47 PM »

I feel like this fight went super under the radar. They were trading hard from the jump and the crowd was DEAD!

side note: I'm so stoked there's fellow MMA nerds here <3 I'm on the sherdog forums too and that place is a cess pool (yes, even more than slap.)

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: August 04, 2023, 07:05:01 PM »
I seen a clip floating around of Conor at the ultimate fighter coaching on a heavy bag. Dude is winded after 3-4 punches lol… imagine Chandler tuning up a super geared Conor. Would be poetic.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: August 05, 2023, 12:04:50 AM »

I feel like this fight went super under the radar. They were trading hard from the jump and the crowd was DEAD!

side note: I'm so stoked there's fellow MMA nerds here <3 I'm on the sherdog forums too and that place is a cess pool (yes, even more than slap.)

Rob Font's boxing looking sharp, love some old school dirty boxing
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

aleksander

• Rep: 124
« Reply #794 on: August 05, 2023, 08:19:19 PM »

Oh man sherdog was my guilty pleasure back in the days of shadface and Chocolate L. Some super funny memes there and I always assumed half the posters were some variation of the let me bang bro TUF guy.

"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #795 on: August 05, 2023, 09:10:10 PM »

Ya, I'm tuning in for the final 2 events.  The Co-main was a woman's beatdown and I really enjoyed it.  Having Amanda Serrano and Heather Hardy on the card helped scratch my boxing itch before the meme fight.

I'm pretty torn on Paul Diaz.  Nate did not look good at all in his fight with Ferguson.  He's had a long time in this sport and put time to the grindstone in all his fights.  The thing about Nate though, is he's always been in boxing gyms and used to train with Andre Ward.  He's never competed in boxing, but he's been training with legit boxers for years.  I haven't watched any Paul fights, so I have no idea of his skill level.  He's a natural athlete, in his physical prime who can afford the best trainers you can buy.  Wouldn't shock me if he did well in Amateurs or low level pro fights.

I want to say Diaz, but wouldn't be shocked with a Paul decision.  Hopefully this is Nate's last fight, love the dude, but he's getting old and has a lot of city miles on him.  I really hope Nate took this seriously, I'd hate to see him turn into Tony Ferguson.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: August 05, 2023, 11:15:59 PM »
https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/08/06/jake-paul-vs-nate-diaz-live-results-pbp/

2nd half of the Diaz brothers career has been a disappointing shit show.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: August 06, 2023, 05:32:31 AM »

I agree, both of them are washed up.  Idk about shit show though, I think a couple L's in your mid to late 30's is expected.  Nate looked rough in there at some points, but the other side is that's kinda his style.  He's always looked kinda sloppy, weird angles and timing.  I went to bed right after the fight ended, I'm sure he's bitching about the decision lol.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree, both of them are washed up.  Idk about shit show though, I think a couple L's in your mid to late 30's is expected.  Nate looked rough in there at some points, but the other side is that's kinda his style.  He's always looked kinda sloppy, weird angles and timing.  I went to bed right after the fight ended, I'm sure he's bitching about the decision lol.

quite the opposite of how he's handling it, actually. he's been giving jake his respect, accepting the loss. kinda just playing it off like, "yeah, I expected this outcome, but it's not a real fight its a boxing match."

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2023, 11:51:48 AM »
-The Diaz/Paul outcome wasn't too surprising. Diaz really didn't look like much of a boxer. It was clear he went to fight, and not to box (if that makes sense). I did think that Paul was going to lay him out, though, but didn't. Seemed like everyone had fun. Both sides are talking about rematching in mma, but not sure how it'd work considering one side is with PFL and Diaz has been talking about returning to the ufc. Remarkably, I don't think it totally even damaged Nate's rep. Strange how he has an ability to do poorly but people still love him. I really enjoyed the combination of Dan Hardy and Sean Porter on commentary, too.

-Caught some of the Sandhagen/Font card. Sandhagen dominated on the ground, which didn't make for exciting stuff, but was still impressive. The crowd hated it. I hate how they demand a bloodbath. Dana white apparently walked out of the arena mid fight, as well. I wish Sandhagen wasn't so apologetic to them in the immediate post fight interview. This is where pro-wrestling dynamics could have come into play, where he could of heel turned and owned his performance.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
I'm not obsessed with them, but I've always liked the Diaz brothers and understand why they have the fanbase that they do.  Good to hear that he's not whining about the decision like I would have expected.  I was pretty nervous in the first round.  Just felt sick to my stomach that he was going to go out there and tarnish his rep.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: August 06, 2023, 12:13:04 PM »
I saw a little of the Under card matches… i wanted to sit and watch, but didn’t want to be rude to the person i was with lol

I know i know not mma or boxing, but Tim Anderson of the white Sox and Jose Ramirez of the guardians squared up last night… Jose’s right hook connected lol

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #802 on: August 06, 2023, 12:29:36 PM »
I saw a little of the Under card matches… i wanted to sit and watch, but didn’t want to be rude to the person i was with lol

I know i know not mma or boxing, but Tim Anderson of the white Sox and Jose Ramirez of the guardians squared up last night… Jose’s right hook connected lol

darn, Dana really has his hands in everything nowadays!

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #803 on: August 06, 2023, 10:08:44 PM »
-The Diaz/Paul outcome wasn't too surprising. Diaz really didn't look like much of a boxer. It was clear he went to fight, and not to box (if that makes sense). I did think that Paul was going to lay him out, though, but didn't. Seemed like everyone had fun. Both sides are talking about rematching in mma, but not sure how it'd work considering one side is with PFL and Diaz has been talking about returning to the ufc. Remarkably, I don't think it totally even damaged Nate's rep. Strange how he has an ability to do poorly but people still love him. I really enjoyed the combination of Dan Hardy and Sean Porter on commentary, too.

-Caught some of the Sandhagen/Font card. Sandhagen dominated on the ground, which didn't make for exciting stuff, but was still impressive. The crowd hated it. I hate how they demand a bloodbath. Dana white apparently walked out of the arena mid fight, as well. I wish Sandhagen wasn't so apologetic to them in the immediate post fight interview. This is where pro-wrestling dynamics could have come into play, where he could of heel turned and owned his performance.
he didn’t do poorly? he won 2 rounds and jake was obviously getting very drained. i wish it was 12 rounds or more, nate truly is a cardio freak being 12 years older, making his boxing debut, having taken so much damage for so many years, nate did great.

yeah sandhagen fought smart but it was boring as fuck. he was preparing for umar though and then gets rob on short notice, makes sense why he went to the ground. both nate & him both said they were hurt as well & aren’t the guys who ever make excuses like that so i don’t know but sandhagen definitely lost stock in a win while nate gains in a loser, remarkable.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #804 on: August 06, 2023, 10:15:57 PM »

GAHT DAMN!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: August 07, 2023, 12:35:59 AM »
If you'll like Muay Thai in 4oz gloves One Championship does (almost) weekly Friday night fight (PM for us in Asia) cards at Lumpinee Stadium, free to watch on their YT channel. Much faster paced that traditional MT with less clinching, only the main event has the wai kru, 3 x 3 minute rounds and 4oz gloves means KOs are more frequent.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: August 19, 2023, 01:21:09 PM »
aljo vs o'malley tonight - i'm pumped for this card! my brain says Aljo is going to wrestle fuck Sean, but my heart really wants to see him knock Aljo out. a lot of other good fights on the card too!

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #807 on: August 22, 2023, 01:54:26 PM »
aljo vs o'malley tonight - i'm pumped for this card! my brain says Aljo is going to wrestle fuck Sean, but my heart really wants to see him knock Aljo out. a lot of other good fights on the card too!
looks like we got what we wanted here. i was one of the guys who really did not like sean for a long time but, he’s really grown on me. he’s a showman and has his obvious cringe attached to him for sure but he really just comes off as a shy kid who found his calling & is having fun with it. chito rematch should be great. ian garry on the other hand needs to cool it, he’s losing a lot of fans with his antics. should’ve gotten a finish on saturday as well if he wants to be the star he says he is.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: September 01, 2023, 07:03:31 PM »
met Forest Griffin at the restaurant I work at tonight. I was in the kitchen when a buddy who works with me who's also a huge fan of the sport came up to me and did the classic, "DUDE, YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHO'S AT THE BAR... FORREST GRIFFIN!" I for sure thought he was mistaken, so I walk out, and sure enough, its him. As soon as I saw him I knew it was him.

dude, I was STOKED. not in a way that made me want to rush him or anything like that, but that guy is a legit legend. he played a part in shaping the sport. former UFC champion. I have been fortunate enough to meet a few people of note in my life, people I've genuinely looked up to... when I was younger I have fanned out, but the older I get, if I can shake that person's hand and say, "thanks," that's more than enough for me. shaking that dude's hand is up there.

after dropping food off to a person next to him at the bar, I used that as an opportunity to say hello, shake his hand, and say thanks for all that he's done for the sport. he graciously said thank you back, and that was it. didn't try and grab a photo with him, and neither did anyone else. my buddy however got an autograph. I don't blame him.

the crazy thing is; I don't live in a super popular city. yes, people come through from time to time, but it's not an Orlando or Miami. totally unexpected. I also wasn't supposed to work tonight, but picked up a shift on a whim. the money I made is secondary. from what I heard there's a bjj tournament in town, so who knows if he was coaching someone, or maybe talent scouting.

crazy.

aleksander

• Rep: 124
« Reply #809 on: September 04, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »
met Forest Griffin at the restaurant I work at tonight. I was in the kitchen when a buddy who works with me who's also a huge fan of the sport came up to me and did the classic, "DUDE, YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHO'S AT THE BAR... FORREST GRIFFIN!" I for sure thought he was mistaken, so I walk out, and sure enough, its him. As soon as I saw him I knew it was him.

dude, I was STOKED. not in a way that made me want to rush him or anything like that, but that guy is a legit legend. he played a part in shaping the sport. former UFC champion. I have been fortunate enough to meet a few people of note in my life, people I've genuinely looked up to... when I was younger I have fanned out, but the older I get, if I can shake that person's hand and say, "thanks," that's more than enough for me. shaking that dude's hand is up there.

after dropping food off to a person next to him at the bar, I used that as an opportunity to say hello, shake his hand, and say thanks for all that he's done for the sport. he graciously said thank you back, and that was it. didn't try and grab a photo with him, and neither did anyone else. my buddy however got an autograph. I don't blame him.

the crazy thing is; I don't live in a super popular city. yes, people come through from time to time, but it's not an Orlando or Miami. totally unexpected. I also wasn't supposed to work tonight, but picked up a shift on a whim. the money I made is secondary. from what I heard there's a bjj tournament in town, so who knows if he was coaching someone, or maybe talent scouting.

crazy.

That's so tight, he really is a legend. I read his book a while back and he was super funny and humble and down to earth. I think Rashad Evans said "If you don't like Forrest, you don't like people" and that came through in the book for sure. Props on keeping your cool too and letting him live. I probably would have done some kooky shit posing for a pic with my fist up or something
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."