Author Topic: Jamie vs. Ed  (Read 17683 times)

tura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
Re: Jamie vs. Ed
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
I used to think religious people were basically fine besides extreme cases such as bombings, funeral picketing, cultish indoctrination techniques, praying on the vulnerable etc. Even street preachers as long as they don't get too snarley about it.

But then it occurred to me that they vote.

Thank god all the different sects don't agree on anything.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »
religion is dumb because its just an excuse for people to act how they were going to act anyway. There are good and shitty people in every religion, so it clearly doesn't make somebody a good person- it just gives them a new way to delude themselves into thinking they are good.
As far as prayer starting or ending wars? I've never heard of a war ending or being avoided because of religion. There are probably 100 violent conflicts going on around the world as we speak though. Still, religion is just a salient feature of culture, and war often is the result of cultural clashes- a lot of conflicting values result in hatred between two or more groups, religion is just the easiest thing to point out.

Everything said here gets said to death by hordes of sane people every time religion comes up. The non-religious rephrase these basic truths through various logic-tunnels while the religious TL;DR the fuck out of it and post bible quotes and accuse you of having no faith.

First sentence was on point. Well put.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 11:40:36 PM »

Also there is substantial evidence that the mind and how and what we perceive, actually determines how matter behaves. Many quantum scientist have been tripping out that light waves and particles will behave differently depending on how they are observed and that electrons only appear when researchers are looking at them.

They're totally tripping out on ideas that have been around for centuries.

quantum mechanics is a bunch of mathematical junk that explains the likelihood that something will happen.
and that's where its story ends, unless equations for professionals.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2015, 12:11:15 AM »
Relevant to the chief's griptape in the forrest thread:

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Malcolm Sex

• Rep: -90
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2015, 06:04:12 AM »
There are way more Muslims in the world than there are Christians so surely they must be right?

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:11 AM »

I noticed that.
So, this guy is all about Jesus and has the DK logo on his griptape...
Unless it was not his board

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »
There are way more Muslims in the world than there are Christians so surely they must be right?
Incorrect
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions

Jares

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Also there is substantial evidence that the mind and how and what we perceive, actually determines how matter behaves. Many quantum scientist have been tripping out that light waves and particles will behave differently depending on how they are observed and that electrons only appear when researchers are looking at them.
[close]

They're totally tripping out on ideas that have been around for centuries.

quantum mechanics is a bunch of mathematical junk that explains the likelihood that something will happen.
and that's where its story ends, unless equations for professionals.

Yes, in fact a lot of those ideas were formed long before the advent of modern science and we're raised by people who took no issue with the existence of a supreme order- the supernatural, which mind you, I do not believe is the same as superstition. I believe that superstition is powered by the supreme primordeal disorder AKA chaos, which manifests through antireason. I know that's a bit yingy and yangy, but hopefully you catch my drift.

Regarding your statement that Quantum mechanics is mathematical junk, I'm a bit confused. Its principles have been used to develop lasers, microchips, MRIs and to properly explain the nature of chemical bonds and molecular interactions. It may even have brought about what may be the world's first quantum computer the D-Wave. You could be actually referencing quantum theory, which would make a bit more sense.

Anyway, I'll let you be and quit bumping the thread with our conversation. Your original statement moved something within me and caused me to ask myself some pretty gnarly questions about what I believe and why.

I personally don't like the Pray for Paris meme or Jamie Thomas, but not because I don't pray or because I'm against the belief system he claims to represent. I just see them both as disingenuous.

I just see the meme as an empty call to action appealing more to sentiment than to the act of appealing to the supreme order that prayer is. It may as well be the meme with Ralphy from the Simpsons double exposed with the French flag exclaiming, "I'm helping!"

And then there is Jamie who went from using from a rehashed image of his messiah king to an image of a decapitated woman eating her own snatch to sell Zero boards. Its depressing...

Anyway, thanks for being patient 4LOM.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »

By "mathematical junk" I meant what their system of equations looks like to us, non-physicists.

QM is a system of equations predicting the likelihood that X will be in position Y when observed.

It doesn't involve personal control of the external world, since the equations are mathematically precise.
We have as much influence on the quantum world as putting 2 apples in a bag that has 2 apples and having 4 apples in the bag.
When you observe what's in the bag, you can't will it to become 8 apples.

It's true the probability wave collapses when observed, but "observed" can mean interactions with other particles, which is happening all the time.

It's just for their equations to predict, they don't have to define "observe." Since observing doesn't influence the mathematical probabilities, its just what is done to confirm the predictions.

It's weird down there and it raises a lot of questions, but if someone says more than this (especially the kind of stuff you're saying) and their book or speculation is not given in the equations of QM, then they're not saying anything about QM or the world.

Here's a test for Sedona scientists (New Age garbage authors), if our minds control reality, have them leave by the wall than the door at the end of their lecture.
If they don't do that, don't bother buying their book, and if you're already bought it, throw it in the trash on your way out.

And if they do leave by the wall, then I'm wrong, and please buy me a copy of their book and get it signed.

ohhgreenworld

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Can someone please just shut this thread down

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
I think his holiness the Dalai Lama said it best...

"Going to church doesn't make you a good person anymore than going to Taco Bell makes you a taco"
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

abudabi

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
I'm sorry, there is not enough room on the Internet to explain why religion is bullshit to the likes of you . But it starts with clearing your mind of all the garbage you learned from your religion, and seeing the truth , that almost all wars , shit even most violence in the world is about religion and forcing your beliefs onto others. Start there...
did you notice my first post makes it clear i am either atheist or agnostic?
anyways im not looking to continue the argument. i think youd be surprised at how much we agree on but since you started this conversation by telling me to fuck off, im not really gonna harp on the matter.

Shredface

• Rep: -44
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
Fair enough, I perhaps misunderstood your point, and apologize .... I use the Internet for telling people to fuck off mostly , so I throw that around a lot

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

By "mathematical junk" I meant what their system of equations looks like to us, non-physicists.

QM is a system of equations predicting the likelihood that X will be in position Y when observed.

It doesn't involve personal control of the external world, since the equations are mathematically precise.
We have as much influence on the quantum world as putting 2 apples in a bag that has 2 apples and having 4 apples in the bag.
When you observe what's in the bag, you can't will it to become 8 apples.

It's true the probability wave collapses when observed, but "observed" can mean interactions with other particles, which is happening all the time.

It's just for their equations to predict, they don't have to define "observe." Since observing doesn't influence the mathematical probabilities, its just what is done to confirm the predictions.

It's weird down there and it raises a lot of questions, but if someone says more than this (especially the kind of stuff you're saying) and their book or speculation is not given in the equations of QM, then they're not saying anything about QM or the world.

Here's a test for Sedona scientists (New Age garbage authors), if our minds control reality, have them leave by the wall than the door at the end of their lecture.
If they don't do that, don't bother buying their book, and if you're already bought it, throw it in the trash on your way out.

And if they do leave by the wall, then I'm wrong, and please buy me a copy of their book and get it signed.

THANK YOU. Way too many people just don't understand how quantum theory is applied, they just pretend to understand it by reciting a few aspects of it. Its really just kind of an issue of mathematical uncertainty on an atomic level.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
you're all the worst

abudabi

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
^the truth.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
  • tae-tae
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »

there are over 10000 religions in the world, it's morel likely they're all wrong than there is one that's 'right'..
ohyeahohyeah

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
This thread keeps getting bumped (and now by me, sorry) and I think there's gonna be some great screenshot of a Jamie freakout or something to help the lack of goods in the Things That Made You Laugh thread but nope, just more religious jabber   >:(

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
pray into a mountain dew embroidered hat for paris

i laughed so hard i couldnt breath after reading this. +1
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I noticed that.

Pretty sure it is. Just the same old zero shtick - trying to be punk/ hesh/ anti-authority but xian at the same time ???

shark tits

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2015, 07:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I noticed that.
[close]

Pretty sure it is. Just the same old zero shtick - trying to be punk/ hesh/ anti-authority but xian at the same time ???
icp and members of slayer are christian. they're in that category of selling ya something completely different. when i lived on maui this frenchman i worked for was wealthy. he was also buddhist and there's this subset of buddhist speakers who assuage the rich of guilt. like a guru they call a 'llama' and the llama balances riches and lazy nihilism or whatever buddhists are into but not too into cause it could be taken away from you..

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »
George Carlin said it best
Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and fuck up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
That's my friends Instagram ha ha prayer is a waste of time, but it makes people feel good, like they are doing something worthwhile.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2015, 11:15:32 AM »
I don't talk to invisible people.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
Prayer's lit.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
arguing about religion on a skateboarding message board. what a life!!!! you guys are dumb as fuck.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Degobrah

• Rep: -58
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »
arguing about religion on a skateboarding message board. what a life!!!! you guys are dumb as fuck.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
That's my friends Instagram ha ha prayer is a waste of time, but it makes people feel good, like they are doing something worthwhile.

kinda like you posting in the ace trucks thread

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
posting in the thread where people arguing about religion on a skateboarding message board and yet you contribute nothing to it. what a life!!!! you guy, are dumb as fuck.

8)

jetset

• Rep: 15
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »