Author Topic: Outlawing the N-bomb  (Read 7144 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Outlawing the N-bomb
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »
Ken Corley, mayor of Brazoria, Texas, is proposing a citywide ordinance that would make uttering the racial slur punishable by up to a $500 fine.

gonna be tough for Texas rappers

source

sebastian toombs

Re: Outlawing the N-bomb
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »
how does the neutron bomb fit into this?

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »
freedom of speech.  worrrrd.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:46:35 PM »
funny how it would be outruled in texas of all places
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

the j

• Rep: -16
  • you know how i do
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »
ha oxymoron

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »
this is only gonna make them say it more

"i aint eatin no damn niggerburgers tonite honey"

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00:24 PM »
Is this guy a functional illiterate? How can people agree to just having rights taken away?
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
Hate speech is not free speech so I have no problem with the term being outlawed. But at the same time I don't trust people to not try and point fingers and blame people who didn't say it and make it seem like they did.
I think it is a step in the right direction but unless we educate the ignorant people who still use this word then nothing is going to change.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
Is this guy a functional illiterate? How can people agree to just having rights taken away?

Many people don't seem to mind all the rights taken away for the made up war on terror. Most Americans are ignorant.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Many people don't seem to mind all the rights taken away for the made up war on terror. Most Americans are ignorant.

I'd have a long, drawn out debate about the War on Terror with you, but your right. I've met fucking cops, just when talking to them, who didn't even have a basic understanding of things like the right to an attorney, or lawful search and seizure.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »
newton hates nigras

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 05:16:13 AM »
I'm curious if they are talking about n***er or n***a or both

and this is a really bad idea. once you set a precident like this, you are on your way to having PC speach enforced by law. Why is the n word so special? You would have to extend it. And then christian conservatives and suburban moms would have a feild day.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
There's no way in hell that anyone could be found guilty of anything if they were brought to court for dropping the n... all they'd have to do is point at the first Amendment, then walk out of court without breaking a sweat. Any law/ordinance that contradicts the Constitution is not a legitimate law or ordinance.

Also, in the US, "hate speech" is legal, but inciting a riot, disturbing the peace, or other results of some types of speech are not protected (like impeding an ongoing police investigation by lying to a cop, etc).

It's feel good legislation at it's best, at its worst it's facism. As much as I hate racism, the Constitution explicitly makes sure that we have the right to be complete and total dumbasses.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:43:04 AM by grimcity »

fuckingvegan

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Hate speech is not free speech so I have no problem with the term being outlawed. But at the same time I don't trust people to not try and point fingers and blame people who didn't say it and make it seem like they did.
I think it is a step in the right direction but unless we educate the ignorant people who still use this word then nothing is going to change.
[close]
You are always screaming about the oppressive government monster eroding the liberties of Americans, but yet you support this draconian measure. You are not consistent, and it places you in a laughable position.

I don't think this law will hold up in court, at the same time I have no problem with hate speech being outlawed, I am against oppression and  I can't think of a better starting point then this word.
But at the same time I understand why free speech matters, how about outlawing using that word towards someone. But what I do find laughable is how everyone wants this word to be legal.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 08:07:51 AM »
I don't think it's so much that people want the word to be legal, it's that people want to ensure that the reason why it's legal remains intact.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
I don't think it's so much that people want the word to be legal, it's that people want to ensure that the reason why it's legal remains intact.

What is the reason it should be legal?

golgo13

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »
i see your point , but no word should be made illegal.
ever.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Besides the 1st Amendment ensuring us that we have freedom of speech, making one word illegal would set a legal precident... if the outlawing of a particular word was ever upheld in a court of law, then every other word in any language spoken in the US would run the risk of one day being made illegal... the precident would open a door that would allow any person to petition the government to outlaw the use of any word because of it's offensiveness to them. What is and what is not offensive (as far as words go) is very subjective... if one Christian called another Christian an infidel (and meant it), that might be offensive to them. If someone called me an infidel, I'd be unmoved since it's an accurate descriptor as it applies to me.

Using the N word itself as an example:
If a racist fucktard were to call a black person a nigger, that would be offensive... no question.
If a historian wrote a book about the civil rights movement, and quoted some Klansmen using the word nigger, that wouldn't be offensive, that would be documenting a racist using offensive language. Hell, Roots, The Color Purple, and most of Spike Lee's movies would be illegal.

Like I said, the results of speech can be illegal, but making words illegal just doesn't work constitutionally.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
Grimcity-
Valid points, I guess I am not making myself clear the word itself should not be illegal using it against someone should be. It is just such a touchy subject, I think this guys (mayor) heart is in the right place but he is going about it all wrong.
Off topic but sort of on why is it that freedom of speech doesn't protect the use of certain words on television?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:48:28 AM by fuckingvegan »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
Off topic but sort of on why is it that freedom of speech doesn't protect the use of certain words on television?
Personally, I think it's because of hypocrisy on the part of the FCC. They deem certian words and situations offensive and profane, and somehow they have the authority to make sure programs on certain public airwaves are cleaned up to a standard that they set.

For TV and radio, I think the FCC should strictly be able to license out airwaves to those that want to use them, but I don't believe they shold have the right to censor anything that would be legal for you and I to do... as long as people have the ability to turn off their TVs and radios, I think any and everything should be fair game for broadcasters. As it stands, I think FCC regulations on the media are archaic and regular.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »
I DISAGREE. I THINK THE EXALTED GOD SHOULD BE CENSORED BECAUSE THE KIDS. EVEN THOUGH THEY HEAR THOSE WORDS ALL THE TIME, WHEN IT'S ON TV IT WON'T SEEM LIKE A BAD WORD BUT LIKE ACCEPTED TERMINOLOGY THAT SPREADS BEYOND THE TV.

CURSING IN ESSENCE IS JUST A LAME FILLER WORD. YOU CAN APPLY THE WORD FUCK AND SHIT NEARLY ANYWHERE IN A SENTENCE AND AS A RESULT IT CAN WEAKEN YOUR VOCABULARY. IF YOU TRY NOT TO CURSE YOU HAVE TO FIND THE REAL WORD TO DESCRIBE WHAT YA SAYING... SHIT'S FUCKING ME UP!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 09:43:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Besides the 1st Amendment ensuring us that we have freedom of speech, making one word illegal would set a legal precident... if the outlawing of a particular word was ever upheld in a court of law, then every other word in any language spoken in the US would run the risk of one day being made illegal... the precident would open a door that would allow any person to petition the government to outlaw the use of any word because of it's offensiveness to them. What is and what is not offensive (as far as words go) is very subjective... if one Christian called another Christian an infidel (and meant it), that might be offensive to them. If someone called me an infidel, I'd be unmoved since it's an accurate descriptor as it applies to me.

Using the N word itself as an example:
If a racist fucktard were to call a black person a nigger, that would be offensive... no question.
If a historian wrote a book about the civil rights movement, and quoted some Klansmen using the word nigger, that wouldn't be offensive, that would be documenting a racist using offensive language. Hell, Roots, The Color Purple, and most of Spike Lee's movies would be illegal.

Like I said, the results of speech can be illegal, but making words illegal just doesn't work constitutionally.

good stuff
hardly art, hardly starving

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »
Ahh yes, Reaganfan is the first to be outraged at people's "right" to call balck people ni**ers. I don't support making it illegal though. I think it just will cause the racists to get even crazier and more covert. Now it'll make it harder to figure out who the racist pricks are because they would all hide it, instead of telling awful jokes with the word in the punchline.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 10:06:20 AM »
WHY NOT JUST RETURN THE INSULT AND CALL THE GUY DROPPING THE "N" WORD
AN INBRED WHITE TRASH HICK?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »
WHY NOT JUST RETURN THE INSULT AND CALL THE GUY DROPPING THE "N" WORD
AN INBRED WHITE TRASH HICK?
It wouldn't be very effective since that's probably exactly what the dude is anyway...

biggums mcgee

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 12:19:24 PM »
well I like sugar and I like tea...

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
what about jalapenos?

biggums mcgee

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
what about jalapenos?

i ain't no holla back girl

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
this is stupid
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.