Author Topic: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala  (Read 42040 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Antwuan needs to watch this

that shit was heavy as fuck

id love to see one of Shane Cross and people talking about him with friends and family, hopefully one day.

well done Patrick and Ali

Ali riding a Baker board at the end, do you think they gave him that to ride because of the story and how Baker came from him?
[close]
I'd agree, but there's no way Antwuan still possesses the critical thinking skills to apply this to his life. He'd probably just say "I don't like mopeds, doo doo doo" and go about his day.

if antwuan cant stop for a minute and think about his current situation (no home of his own, no reliable source of income, no bank account, not even a working phone, pending cases, ect.) and realize that he needs to make some lifestyle changes, hes not going to get anything out of watching this. andrew almost died in a car wreck before he decided to get sober and ali even said that he thought andrew was a fool for making that decision.

How was Ali able to afford his addiction and party life style for so very long?

if theres a will, theres a way. especially when it comes to drugs. nobody ever stops doing drugs because they cant afford them anymore. just look at twuan. dude has no sponsors and no job as far as im concerned, but still drinks, smokes and snorts coke regularly.

great episode, pat and everyone who made it happen. its pretty much a miracle that ali was able to wise up and get clean after being in the shape he was. very few people have the kind of strength it takes to beat addiction. my brother has watched people die from overdoses. hes been robbed at gunpoint while buying drugs. had a drug dealer shoot his gun off next to his head after he nodded out in a dope house. been brought back to life a handful of times after ODing and probably lived through a ton of other shit that would make anyone else never touch drugs again and he still chooses to go back to dope over and over again. addiction is no joke. im really thankful for ali for sharing his story.

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
The part where he made the comparison to going to a Led Zeppelin concert then Jimmy Page and Robert Plant telling you after you were in the band and to come get some free gear was super cool.

Amazing episode. It did have me wondering about how much of his partying was known about by older people in the industry and possibly ignored because he was popular and got good footage like Allen said. Surely Reynolds, Ellington, Greco (and Brian Sumner? hahah), knew about it but didn't give a fuck because they were equally as fucked up. But somewhere higher up at Flip or Birdhouse or Zero or wherever the fuck someone must have known that this group of kids were beyond just "pissdrunx" and were smoking crack, shooting heroin, whatever. Kinda leaves me with a gross feeling and always has how the industry can let teenage children self destruct like that as long as they're jumping down stuff or acting outrageous for the cameras.

I wonder how many people went down the wrong path because of the popularity of the whole Warner/Baker/Pissdrunx thing?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
Oh wow. I watched that today. A sobering series, really sad and frustrating. I'm happy to see that Ali isn't delusional about what he did, the condition he allowed himself to go to, and, most of all, I'm happy that he seems so positive and clean after everything. A lesser man would have put a bullet through his own head. I don't really understand his physical condition, though.

Also, Dollin looks old and wretched beyond his years.

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »
i became a skate rat during flips early 2000's reign so i was i remember seeing all the ads and prints when it all happened but i was still too young to get it, so when odell said the ali ep was the latest one initially i wasn't that excited but that delivered for sure. i don't know how close dustin and o'dell are but i cant see him being cool with o'dell after that clip that was so obviously left in.
seriously, early 2000's baker was poison to kids. but i think most of them put their hands up and admit to that these days.

for those who didn't see it pat did an interview with what youth earlier this week on the ali ep:
http://whatyouth.com/magazines/what-youth-issue-12/interview-with-epicly-laterds-patrick-odell-a-good-warm-up-before-he-releases-the-ali-boulala-episode-this-week/

this series is just as important to skateboarding as whoever's new online part or whatever companies full length, please don't stop pat.

jomeara1

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

id love to see one of Shane Cross and people talking about him with friends and family, hopefully one day.

Ali riding a Baker board at the end, do you think they gave him that to ride because of the story and how Baker came from him?
[close]
I'd agree, but there's no way Antwuan still possesses the critical thinking skills to apply this to his life. He'd probably just say "I don't like mopeds, doo doo doo" and go about his day.
[close]

if antwuan cant stop for a minute and think about his current situation (no home of his own, no reliable source of income, no bank account, not even a working phone, pending cases, ect.) and realize that he needs to make some lifestyle changes, hes not going to get anything out of watching this. andrew almost died in a car wreck before he decided to get sober and ali even said that he thought andrew was a fool for making that decision.

Expand Quote
[close]

if theres a will, theres a way. especially when it comes to drugs. nobody ever stops doing drugs because they cant afford them anymore. just look at twuan. dude has no sponsors and no job as far as im concerned, but still drinks, smokes and snorts coke regularly.

great episode, pat and everyone who made it happen. its pretty much a miracle that ali was able to wise up and get clean after being in the shape he was. very few people have the kind of strength it takes to beat addiction. my brother has watched people die from overdoses. hes been robbed at gunpoint while buying drugs. had a drug dealer shoot his gun off next to his head after he nodded out in a dope house. been brought back to life a handful of times after ODing and probably lived through a ton of other shit that would make anyone else never touch drugs again and he still chooses to go back to dope over and over again. addiction is no joke. im really thankful for ali for sharing his story.

Damn dude I am sorry to hear about your brother.  I hope he gets the help he needs.  I can relate to that myself, having family members battling drug and alcohol problems.  It really is no joke.  They lie, steal, and will pretty much do anything to fullfill their addiction.  Unless they do something about it and get help, they will always put that first and everything/ everybody else that they care about second (at least from the people that I have dealt with).   

sms_b

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
had no idea Ali was about that crack. Far too many pros of that era were about it and that shit's no joke. Much respect to anybody who has been there and come back. It's a day to day thing and if you've never been there you'll never know what the fuck I'm talking about.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
Thought about this overnight and have been wondering about 2 things:

1) Dollin looks like an old lady.

2) I wonder if he can't skate (I'm speaking mentally) because skateboarding and drugs are possibly so tied together for him? I used to be big into music; writing it, listening to it, spinning it. It was all I did when I was meth'd out. When I got clean I couldn't listen to music for over a year...all I listened to was talk radio. I wonder if there's a tie between skating and piling out for Ali to the point where he can't skate without being completely triggered? I'm sure he's got physical stuff going on too that keeps him from it, but I wonder how much of it is mental as well?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn dude I am sorry to hear about your brother.� I hope he gets the help he needs.� I can relate to that myself, having family members battling drug and alcohol problems.� It really is no joke.� They lie, steal, and will pretty much do anything to fullfill their addiction.� Unless they do something about it and get help, they will always put that first and everything/ everybody else that they care about second (at least from the people that I have dealt with).� �

thanks man. i feel like i vent about him way too much on here, but he's my window into addiction and i know it affects a lot more people than just the ones who care to talk about it. i never want to seem like im seeking sympathy or anything like that, but i hope that anyone dealing with their own shit or knows someone who is, might be able to take something away from what i post.

hes doing ok now as far as i know. hes been sort of on a clean streak for the past year and a half now with only two separate relapses. one was some pills he got from someone while out promoting drug awareness with his rehab group (go figure) and the last time was about a month of so ago where he did some dope that was laced with fentanyl and he almost died from that. i love him and everything, but ive seen him hooked up to machines at the hospital enough times to the point where it almost doesnt even bother me any more when shit happens to him. i know if he ever died id be a mess, but after dealing with this stuff for the past 5 or so year, a lot of my compassion has been lost. ive told him that im always there for him if he needs me, but i cant be there to hold his hand every day and make sure he doesnt do anything stupid.

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
This was an eye opener. I would like to know who around him thought smoking crack on the regular was an ok thing to do?

I know we cannot control our friends and what they do, but there is the pack mentality influence. How does crack become ok?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
This was an eye opener. I would like to know who around him thought smoking crack on the regular was an ok thing to do?

I know we cannot control our friends and what they do, but there is the pack mentality influence. How does crack become ok?

When everyone around you is smoking crack, nobody is going to say you should cut it out.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »
It's not wrong to thank O'dell, but the credits show a whole team of people that made this happen and deserve a nod.

Drugs are the worst.

Yeah.....he credits them in his IG post. It made a huge difference in my opinion.

I still liked Cardiel's episode better just cause I think he was more universally liked by most of the skate community and for him not to skate just sucks. Ali even at the height of Flip was never the guy people gravitated to but it'd be really hard anyways when you are teammates with Penny, Arto, Appleyard, Rowley, etc. Plus with his drinking habits and the death of Shane, I almost assumed everyone hated him more than liked him. But I just think this answers a lot of things that a lot of us assumed was going on with him which made this a great episode.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When everyone around you is smoking crack, nobody is going to say you should cut it out.

I totally get the join in the crowd thing. What I would like to understand is... Skateboarders have lots of run ins with crackheads and others who have serious mental illness and addictions as we are out cruising the streets at all hours. Most make fun of the "crazy ones" or the crackheads. How do you become one when you have seen what the shit does? Who was the the one guy that started this crew on the downward spiral?

I want to know who said... Hey guys, this weed just ain't cutting it, lets gets some crack!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:15:47 AM by Brett »

Ingenting Polisen

• Rep: 0
    • https://imgur.com/a/ErQuTFP avatar image
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Expand Quote
One thing leaves me puzzled though. How was Ali able to afford his addiction and party life style for so very long?
[close]

It's one thing when, say, Spanky gets his checks cut because he isn't skating on a level deemed worthy of someone getting paid to, realistically, not have a job and most real life responsibilities. However, Ali's shtick was that he was a pile that could sometimes skate exceedingly well. Watch any of his parts and there is a good amount of none-skate footy to pad it out. It wa as if Flip or whomever was saying "Look at this guy! He's a fucking nut! He doesn't need to actually film a full part's worth of shit, the kids will eat this shit up any way! Look at him spreading his ass cheeks, that could have been a trick, but nah, he doesn't need to!".

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that his downward spiral may have either been ignored/overlooked because he was still producing enough to get by, or that it was ignored/overlooked because it was part of what made him so marketable to kids at that time. Jackass/Bam was popular, and once kids grew out of that and saw Ali doing the same sort of sus shit, they latched onto him. Him being nuts and a pile is what made him popular, so why would they decide to cut the pay on a cash cow? Same reason they didn't take Penny's board away while he was on his sabbatical... he was making them money, and it was his shtick.

Also, look at, say, homeless drug addicts... that's another situation where you have to wonder 'How did you even get the money to get Substance X?' It doesn't matter, they got the money to procure it somehow, even if it means doing something super suspect for it.

What the fuck are you talking about?  ???

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I totally get the join in the crowd thing. What I would like to understand is... Skateboarders have lots of run ins with crackheads and others who have serious mental illness and addictions as we are out cruising the streets at all hours. Most make fun of the "crazy ones" or the crackheads. How do you become one when you have seen what the shit does? Who was the the one guy that started this crew on the downward spiral?

I want to know who said... Hey guys, this weed just ain't cutting it, lets gets some crack!

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
i'm sure it was more cocaine than alcohol involved in the tragic accident...easy to get some in australia from what i heard
it was a very sad epicly, hope the best for Ali, the best jimi hendrix personnification in skateboarding, was so stoked to see his sorry part at the time !

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
Like many of you guys I have a very sad time after watching this. I wish Ali all the best. It does not seem like he is in a good shape right now, mentally and physically, more in a 2 year sunday/hangover blues. It seems like his guilt makes it impossible to skate, has taken him his abilities and the motivation to be good at it again. Nevermind my thought.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
This is a huge leap forward in terms of quality when it comes to Epicly Later'd, and I feel like Patrick has fully realized the potential of this show. For the longest time I was bummed that he didn't delve deeper, the production quality was totally lacking, and a lot of the episodes weren't as focused or structured as they could have been.

This series changes all of that. Great cinematography, great sound, fantastic editing, and a ton of subjects who are so comfortable with their interviewer that they open up in the most amazing ways. Watching Ali talk so bluntly and honestly about what he was going through is an incredible sight to behold. The amount of survivor guilt that he is experiencing is overwhelming, and his ability to just go about his day is heroic in and of itself. My hat is off to Ali for sharing his story and to Patrick and the rest of Patrick's team for doing justice to this man's story.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:38:13 PM by geneparmesan »

the last tycoon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
The part where he made the comparison to going to a Led Zeppelin concert then Jimmy Page and Robert Plant telling you after you were in the band and to come get some free gear was super cool.

Amazing episode. It did have me wondering about how much of his partying was known about by older people in the industry and possibly ignored because he was popular and got good footage like Allen said. Surely Reynolds, Ellington, Greco (and Brian Sumner? hahah), knew about it but didn't give a fuck because they were equally as fucked up. But somewhere higher up at Flip or Birdhouse or Zero or wherever the fuck someone must have known that this group of kids were beyond just "pissdrunx" and were smoking crack, shooting heroin, whatever. Kinda leaves me with a gross feeling and always has how the industry can let teenage children self destruct like that as long as they're jumping down stuff or acting outrageous for the cameras.

I wonder how many people went down the wrong path because of the popularity of the whole Warner/Baker/Pissdrunx thing?

I think the point you raise warrants a lot more discussion than it ever receives. I don't want to go pointing anymore fingers than have already been pointed, or inject anymore negativity into this thread, but the accountability - or lack there of - that skate companies have for their endorsed riders is something I would like to see more criticism of. I'm not waving the "please think of the children" flag, there's a pantheon of bad shit out there that can poison a kid's mind, and as far as I can tell watching movies by Flip, Baker etc. countless times as an impressionable teen fucked me up a hell of a lot less than any television program.

My concern rests solely with the kids who are talented/marketable/'lucky' enough to be flown around the world by lucrative corporations in order to boost profits. I can understand why producers like O'Dell, who have a vested interest in maintaining positive relationships with industry heads so as to ensure a prosperous journalistic career, may be reluctant to touch on this issue. And let's face it, recklessness in whatever form has always played a large role in skateboarding, furthermore a lot of young pros or would-be pros seem largely surrounded by other skaters, so as you said we gotta wander where these higher ups are and how much they know.

But somewhere along the way there needs to be a push for whoever is making all the money off these kids to find a balance between getting a few lifestyle clips of the crew getting fucked up, and the general well being and even future of said crew. It's different when the weekdntage dudes shotgun beers, that's core shit right there and they weren't making a dime off it for yonks. I'm sure crews like the Baker Boys and Piss Drunks weren't either but at some point in these underground collectives someone starts getting rich and whether or not the money people are getting just as fucked, the fact that remains that if they've got the clairvoyance to recruit new riders who they deem profitable, they ought to be able to have a little care for these rookies.

I realize the company's of which I'm speaking are few and far between, and I commend skaters like Andrew Reynolds, Jim Greco and most definitely Ali Boulala for offering retrospective analysis on this sort of thing, also a hat tip to Tyshawn Jones for keeping it squeaky clean for all the kids to see. But for every untimely, drug induced death in professional skateboarding (and one is one too many, though we all know the others), I've not seen a single company come forward and say "yeah hey sorry like he was a human being and free to make his own decisions, but maybe we could've looked out for him just a little more instead of funding his addictions and makin bank," though it may not be the most economically wise undertaking. Hopefully the industry can learn from stories such as these, as I'm sure we call can, to the extent that real change may occur to help prevent such tragedies in the future.

I have not meant to upset anyone, nor have I meant to use this tragedy as a mere platform to voice my own sentiments. Rather it is because of how this film affected me that I felt compelled to speak. Rest in peace Shane Cross, deepest sympathies for friend's, family and of course Ali.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »
Still clearly remember the first Ali interview I read in Big Brother. It was short and silly, mostly taking the mickey out of his name. Seem to remember it referencing him switch 5-0ing hubbas wasted and the first mention I'd heard of the PIss Drunx. Strange how that all ended up.

I wonder how much Penny's lifestyle rubbed off on him? Seems like he emulated him a lot early on and obviously not just his gear.

Does anyone know what Ali does now?

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

remember when he talked about doing it for the first time and he said he told himself "this is going to be the only time"? it was right at the part where he had that gnarly slam and broke his arm. id assume thats how everyone who gets hooked on drugs starts. nobody starts using drugs with the intention of becoming an addict. it really doesnt matter who was the one who first brought it in. these guys were serious partiers who probably attracted a slew of sketchy people over to warner back in those days. it wasnt just skateboarders. when you have people who get fucked up the way the piss drunx got fucked up, youre going to run into someone who has hard drugs at some point. and its not like these guys were into making smart, responsible choices. they were idolizing guys like sid vicious. would sid vicious say no to crack or heroin? fuck no.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »
when did Ali's wife leave him? during the prison stint? or after?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
when did Ali's wife leave him? during the prison stint? or after?

I was wondering about this too and I am glad they didn't go into the details beyond stating "ex-wife". I'm guessing that he was pretty tough to deal with after the accident until he got sober. Actually, he probably sucked to deal with once he got sober, too, since that's basically ripping a festering bandage off an open, weeping sore.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »
Still clearly remember the first Ali interview I read in Big Brother. It was short and silly, mostly taking the mickey out of his name. Seem to remember it referencing him switch 5-0ing hubbas wasted and the first mention I'd heard of the PIss Drunx. Strange how that all ended up.

I wonder how much Penny's lifestyle rubbed off on him? Seems like he emulated him a lot early on and obviously not just his gear.

Does anyone know what Ali does now?

Homeboy's got a new shoe coming out
http://www.eytys.com

He really is a different person compared to that happy go lucky kid with magnetic smile and fire in his eyes in the Flip Sorry era.

Also that skatepark ditch at the end looks sooooo fun.

deadhead

• Rep: -2
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
When Yoon started tearing up that was so tough to watch, I don't know how people can just keep pointing the camera in that situation.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
Amazing episodes!

I remember my dopefiend era. I watched EL episodes of Greco, Reynolds and Fabian and actually thought for myself "Ah, some day I will get there as well and stop all this madness". Those days never fucking came, instead I did multiple detoxes, rehabs and ER rounds. Finally, during my fourth stay at a rehab, I somehow got sick of being a fucking slave to a bag of dope, watching people disintegrate (because of my actions) and being homeless and got to work. It was not easy and took forever to build some kind of life, still I kept going. With a lot of help from good people and TONS of work, Im more than 2,5 years sober.

The "getting clean"part sucked, I swear to God, I understand why so few make it. My long-term methadone addiction blessed me with a physical withdrawal of at least 90 days, and it was NOTHING compared to what would come. The post acute withdrawal for the first 18 months was hell on Earth. During that time I�ve had to encounter anxiety so bad that I�d wake up in the middle of the night with nailmarks in my hands from squeezing. These awful periods could go on for months at the time and sometimes I�d question why the fuck I was doing the whole thing to begin with. What I learned from this whole thing is that many things are within our control and life is pretty good if you are not afraid of work. I wasted so much time thinking that there was no other way to live, 14 to 25 to be exact. Now I�m willing to do anything to stay away from that shit.

I wish Ali and every other addict the best of luck, the reality is that not many will make it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:15:10 PM by iKobrakai »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2015, 02:56:03 PM »

remember when he talked about doing it for the first time and he said he told himself "this is going to be the only time"? it was right at the part where he had that gnarly slam

I heard "This is not going to be the only time," and that makes more sense because of his personality. Like, he knew there was no way he was only going to 'try' it...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:53 PM »
What a moving story. Definitely O'Dell's best work.

I think it's easily lost how unique and incredible Ali's style was, especially those who are unfamiliar with his skating pre- Pissdrunx. Even if you aren't a fan of the direction his skating took, it's obvious he had the ability to morph his style into many other directions than the one he ultimately chose. I'm glad they had guys like Reynolds and Greco offer some perspective on just how creative and different his trick selection was during those days. I've always loved Ragdoll's part in Slaughterhouse, and Lizard King's part in The Deathwish video. Ali definitely created that whole style. I started skating in 7th grade around the time the Pissdrunx came around, and like Ali, discovered early punk bands at that time that I began to worship. Lord knows what would have happened if I was a little older or had the time or money to explore those curiosities the way the Baker crew did. I can't imagine living in another country at (16?) with zero parental supervision.

I had taken a sabbatical from skating around the time Shane Cross came around, so his death never registered emotionally on the same level as others on here- until I watched this. Thank you Patrick for telling the story so gracefully about a horrible chapter of skateboarding I never really observed. RIP Shane.

I still look back on the Pissdrunx era fondly- for better or worse. Their style captured my teen angst perfectly, and presented skateboarding in the raw and fun loving manner I believed to be most perfect. However, I can now see the damage the glorification of drugs and alcohol has caused, and I'm very glad that most of those guys now express regret and have tackled sobriety to become pretty great role models for young skaters. I do hope Baker videos continue to be funny, though.

As for the future of Epicly Laterd, this will be a tough act to follow. I agree with whoever said that episodes like this and Cardiel make more recent ones about Huf, Rowley, Chima, or Spanky seem kind of dull. I will watch every episode he ever puts out, and enjoy them all, but I think he needs to be a little more selective about the stories he chooses to tell. I'm not saying he should continue to do recovering addict stories- I actually think that would be a bad idea. Instead, focus on lesser known legends or guys who weren't already interviewed 1,000 times throughout their career with an abundance of media coverage and parts to go alongside it. Chops recent interview with Gabriel Rodriguez is the perfect example of a guy skaters would like to know more about. The Dressen episode was great as well. It also seems like he is reluctant to stray too far away from his friend-connected universe of LA- lots of the same guys seem to pop up in his interviews these days. That being said, Heath would fit the bill perfectly for the next episode  ;D He definitely doesn't seem as camera shy these days as he did in the peak of his career.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:40:56 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
I love the fact that he got really into RC and would demand to go to the "Hobby." RC cars are dope. I always wanted a Grasshopper. I want to play with this...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:40:57 PM by mini pebble »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote

remember when he talked about doing it for the first time and he said he told himself "this is going to be the only time"? it was right at the part where he had that gnarly slam
[close]

I heard "This is not going to be the only time," and that makes more sense because of his personality. Like, he knew there was no way he was only going to 'try' it...

That's what I heard too. He was diving into the rabbit hole that wasn't filled with rabbits but instead filled with drugs.

abudabi

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
i heard that too^

that was fucking heavy man. i dont know if some of that needed to be shared but i guess o'dell knows what he is doing, and boulala must have wanted to explain things. i felt a little like i was prying into someone else's shit watching that (more than watching a standard EL).

i feel fucking bad for Ali man. that thing he said, something along the lines of 'well today's another day i wont kill myself or use drugs', that is not a good place to be.
id be dead a 100 times over, respect to Ali.