Author Topic: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala  (Read 42010 times)

georgethecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
Re: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
I don't think Dustin is being disrespectful, that's nonsense. Dustin taking a swig of beer at the end of that clip worked really well as some sort of artistic device. I can't blame O'Dell for including it, it's too good to leave out, although it would have been reasonable to cut it. If anything, it gives the impression that Dustin himself is headed for destruction, as though he's somehow unaware he's headed for the same negative outcome he's just finished describing.  Which I think is demonstrably untrue, Dustin's legitimately maintained his his status as a pro skater for 15 years, no matter his reputation as a drinker. It was a dramatic effect made at Dustin's expense.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:33:31 PM by georgethecat »

too much

« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
I don't think Dustin is being disrespectful, that's nonsense. Dustin taking a swig of beer at the end of that clip worked really well as some sort of artistic device. I can't blame O'Dell for including it, it's too good to leave out, although it would have been reasonable to cut it. If anything, it gives the impression that Dustin himself is headed for destruction, as though he's somehow unaware he's headed for the same negative outcome he's just finished describing.  Which I think is demonstrably untrue, Dustin's legitimately maintained his his status as a pro skater for 15 years, no matter his reputation as a drinker. It was a dramatic effect made at Dustin's expense.

I agree more of a thing with editing because it's getting taken out of context a little. Dustin was in Australia x amount of years ago when it happened, fast forward to now when they filmed the interview. I really thought the opening of this Epicly Later'd was next level. The whole thing was really good.

Ali's looking just like Tom Penny era was really sick, I'm glad that was included. His early grom footage was amazing too. I thought it was awesome he still wore the same kit to this day. Barely having any Cali footy and not being able to come back kinda tripped me out, never knew about that.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
Actually shed a tear watching him ride away at the end. One of the saddest things I've seen in a long time.
Good luck and thanks for the memories.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
I don't think Dustin is being disrespectful, that's nonsense. Dustin taking a swig of beer at the end of that clip worked really well as some sort of artistic device. I can't blame O'Dell for including it, it's too good to leave out, although it would have been reasonable to cut it. If anything, it gives the impression that Dustin himself is headed for destruction, as though he's somehow unaware he's headed for the same negative outcome he's just finished describing.  Which I think is demonstrably untrue, Dustin's legitimately maintained his his status as a pro skater for 15 years, no matter his reputation as a drinker. It was a dramatic effect made at Dustin's expense.

He's just having a beer.

The whole part of Ali's story seemed to be that he became an addict to the things he liked. If he liked it, he'd do it every chance he got. I don't think Ali was out to really demonise alcohol and drugs, just explaining how he was with it.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

jomeara1

« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »
That was beautiful. Such a roller coaster life hes lived. I'm stoked hes moving on and living his life. I loved the edit and really like that O dell didn't do the whole " hi welcome to epicly laterd, this episode is about blah blah, i know I've said this before but this skater really is the best skater ever".

Dollin is a person.

This haha and it's not just him either.  I couldn't tell you how many times I would see a skater or whoever say "he's the most naturally talented skater I've ever seen" and then later say the same exact thing about some other skater.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2015, 04:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's just having a beer.

The whole part of Ali's story seemed to be that he became an addict to the things he liked. If he liked it, he'd do it every chance he got. I don't think Ali was out to really demonise alcohol and drugs, just explaining how he was with it.

This.

I feel like y'all are overinterpreting that shot of Dollin having a beer way too much. I think it's a really good shot, but I don't think there's anything disrespectful about it. Why would it be? Dollin is an adult. Two of his friends were involved in that accident. One died, the other one has been left traumatized and spent some time in jail. Dollin had to find his own ways of coping with this. It might sound like a stupid cliche, but it's true that everyone mourns in a different way (to a certain extent). And Dollin having a beer while talking about the incident is in no way disrespectful. It's just normal.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
Complaining about Dollin drinking a beer while talking about this is such an idiotic bullshit pc double standard thing to say. Drinking a beer and driving a vehicle while being fucked up have pretty much nothing to do with each other. There's a lot of people that fucked up their life with drinking and doing drugs too much, but I doubt that many of you stopped drinking so that their feelings wouldn't get hurt

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2015, 05:28:35 AM »
i'm having a beer right now, should i go to rehab ? haha

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2015, 06:19:04 AM »
Drinking a beer and driving a vehicle while being fucked up have pretty much nothing to do with each other.
Hm.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
just curious, but who out of the OG PD crew still drink? is dustin the only one? reynolds, greco, erik, shane heyl, ali, all sober now. spanly is sober too, but him and herm and even braydon seemed like they were just kids when all those other guys were going their hardest.

PsychOut

« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »
just curious, but who out of the OG PD crew still drink? is dustin the only one? reynolds, greco, erik, shane heyl, ali, all sober now. spanly is sober too, but him and herm and even braydon seemed like they were just kids when all those other guys were going their hardest.

Ellington still drinks, but on rare occasion

I wouldn't call Braydon, Herman, Spanky in the OG PD crew, they kinda came abit later

I guess it's Dollin and Ellington that still drink, but Ellington rarely
Dollins added Rowan into Piss Drunx occording to Dollins Instagram a few months ago

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
Complaining about Dollin drinking a beer while talking about this is such an idiotic bullshit pc double standard thing to say. Drinking a beer and driving a vehicle while being fucked up have pretty much nothing to do with each other. There's a lot of people that fucked up their life with drinking and doing drugs too much, but I doubt that many of you stopped drinking so that their feelings wouldn't get hurt

Word.  Also it looked pretty hot when his interview was filmed.

Dude deserved a nice cold brewsky.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't call Braydon, Herman, Spanky in the OG PD crew, they kinda came abit later

Dollins added Rowan into Piss Drunx occording to Dollins Instagram a few months ago

I think Ellington is sober though. I swear he had a cake celebrating his sobriety.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »

If it's at 6am, before work and full of cigarette butts and you still drink it. Yes.

Don't wanna be Debbie downer but the shit is no joke.

Viva la SLAP!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think Ellington is sober though. I swear he had a cake celebrating his sobriety.
Nah I've seen Ellington drinking on recent supra tours.

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
of course dollins gonna be drinking a beer its not like he claims to not be an alcoholic

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
dollin having a beer and saying driving and drinking dont mix? ok, its not like he is going to step into a vehicle right now after the interview. drinking to a certain amount is ok and to what amount it is ok anybody has to distinguish it for himself but as dustin said, drinking and driving isnt smart, because you are involuntarily involving others who are bystanders or not involved. i think he is smart enough. i would guess.

but, that was really a tough and intense episode. very sad. i wish ali the best.
and those guys who say (and keep saying, but thats not making any difference) he's a murderer and shit, fuck you. it was an accident no one wanted to happen. i cant really believe there were and really are people out there who keep saying an intoxicated guy is a murderer for driving with his intoxicated friend and having an accident on a moped.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
i don't have too much to add other than to say i feel terrible for ali

he was punished for his mistakes in every concievable way, and for him to come out the other end sober, well spoken and actively trying to help others through public speaking and whatnot is truely impressive and takes alot of guts

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
really?? I was under the impression that he was completely sober now.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2015, 03:06:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
He may well be now but I know I heard he was sober before and then saw him having a beer after that. He wasn't drunk or anything and it was more than 2 years ago.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
He may well be now but I know I heard he was sober before and then saw him having a beer after that. He wasn't drunk or anything and it was more than 2 years ago.
wow ! amazing beer paparazzi shit

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it's at 6am, before work and full of cigarette butts and you still drink it. Yes.

Don't wanna be Debbie downer but the shit is no joke.

Viva la SLAP!
it's ok then, it was 6pm and i don't work at all
cheers !

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
I'm posting drunk and it's 20:43. In vino veritas. That's Latin, real handy if you ever want to come visit Latin America. I can't bear to watch Ali failing the kickflips anymore. It makes me impossibly sad.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
I'm posting drunk and it's 20:43. In vino veritas. That's Latin, real handy if you ever want to come visit Latin America. I can't bear to watch Ali failing the kickflips anymore. It makes me impossibly sad.
He wasn't even trying, Odell gave him a Baker board to bail some tricks and finish off his bullshit "masterpiece"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2015, 05:54:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He wasn't even trying, Odell gave him a Baker board to bail some tricks and finish off his bullshit "masterpiece"
Please drink some bleach with your bullshit

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

far as i know this is not the case!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »

What I would like to understand is... Skateboarders have lots of run ins with crackheads and others who have serious mental illness and addictions as we are out cruising the streets at all hours. Most make fun of the "crazy ones" or the crackheads. How do you become one when you have seen what the shit does? Who was the the one guy that started this crew on the downward spiral?

Well check out Antwuan's intro in Baker has a deathwish ... I'm pretty sure it will be prophetic

haven't watched this yet, but I will add a few points:

- Ali's wife was still with him after the accident. At least she was for a while (I recall her doing some fundraising in Aus at the time)
- Dollin is the only one left now really. It's definitely taking it's toll on him but it's all he has in terms of "marketing". Great skater make no mistake, but he could have been a lot greater...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:35:43 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote

What I would like to understand is... Skateboarders have lots of run ins with crackheads and others who have serious mental illness and addictions as we are out cruising the streets at all hours. Most make fun of the "crazy ones" or the crackheads. How do you become one when you have seen what the shit does? Who was the the one guy that started this crew on the downward spiral?
[close]

Well check out Antwuan's intro in Baker has a deathwish ... I'm pretty sure it will be prophetic

haven't watched this yet, but I will add a few points:

- Ali's wife was still with him after the accident. At least she was for a while (I recall her doing some fundraising in Aus at the time)
- Dollin is the only one left now really. It's definitely taking it's toll on him but it's all he has in terms of "marketing". Great skater make no mistake, but he could have been a lot greater...

Ellington did an interview with Thrasher this year (or late '14) for a supra tour article and he clearly stated that he had stopped drinking for over a year (even showed a 1 year anniversary badge from the AA on instagram) and in that same interview he said that Dollin and a few other Piss Drunx unsung heros are still going at it. But, as far as the pros we know, Dollin is clearly the last contender.

No1knows

• Rep: -43
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »
piss drunk for live mannnnnn
hi.

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »
Watching him not be able to skate is tugging the old heart strings, were they saying it's a result of the accident? Poor dude obviously had no intention of doing what he did and skating could've been a great meditation to keep his mind off of things. Fucking sad
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.