Author Topic: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala  (Read 42050 times)

PsychOut

Re: Epicly Later'd Ali Boulala
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
Antwuan needs to watch this

that shit was heavy as fuck

id love to see one of Shane Cross and people talking about him with friends and family, hopefully one day.

well done Patrick and Ali

Ali riding a Baker board at the end, do you think they gave him that to ride because of the story and how Baker came from him?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »
Ali riding a Baker board at the end, do you think they gave him that to ride because of the story and how Baker came from him?

Could be. Could be that seeing a Flip graphic makes him think of his old teammate. It could honestly be anything.

I'm proud of the guy. It sucks that such awfulness had to happen for him to grow and better himself as a person, but at least he did.

I don't think any statement made about this epicly later'd can accurately sum up how beautifully put together it was.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »
Man... watched this like 8 hours ago and can't stop thinking about it.
Hard lessons.  Heavy shit.
It's also cool to see someone own up to his shit and take a path toward redemption without religion.

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wow, amazing episode.  Thank you Pat!

I am kinda surprised that they didn't blur out the youtube names of those comments. 
[close]

Yeah same, i'm pretty stoked about that though.
Fucking great documentary. A+.....
[close]

Yeah I like that he exposed all of them like that..but I wonder if he is legally allowed to do that?
[close]

It's not the first time that I see someone doing something similar, I wouldn't surprised if youtube specifically mentions that anyone can quote a post made by a youtuber.

You guys realize that YouTube is a public website, right?  Like literally anyone can go and find those quotes probably really easily.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think any statement made about this epicly later'd can accurately sum up how beautifully put together it was.

So true, this really was Patrick's crown jewel.  I watched it hours ago and yet, I've found myself dwelling on stuff from it most of the day.  

Stu

• Rep: 5
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
It's beautiful to see that he's so honest with himself and he's found a way to beat the drug addiction. I hope it only gets better from here on out for him.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »
So fucking heavy.

alcohol is the fucking worst. Leads to so much shit. A world of shit. And although Dustin is the 1 out of 10,000 making it work I'm sure he's fighting his own demons.

This is the best thing I've seen in a long, long time.  10/10 Pat.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »
Aint gonna front, I had to put the beer down after episode 1, and after episode 4  :'(
Well done Patrick

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »
I don't see how any future Epicly Later'd episodes can even approach the quality of this one. This and Cardiel's are miles above the rest, probably due to the fact that the subject matter transcends skateboarding. It's so much more than the usual "yeah and then, like, the homie hooked it up, but I really didn't want to like, move to California..." superficial self-important garbage that seems to permeate skateboarding.

O'Dell needs to focus more on the Alis and Cardiels and Lennie Kirks in skateboarding. Not so much the Chimas and Spankys. There are so many genuinely interesting people with interesting stories in skating.

asakusa75

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
Amazing stuff.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
best one in a long time

those photos of him looking skeletal and dead behind the eyes are so jarring to look at.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »
It's not wrong to thank O'dell, but the credits show a whole team of people that made this happen and deserve a nod.

Drugs are the worst.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »
Noone else in history stuck a 25 stair Ollie. The Lyon spot is sacred, if anyone lands it they are an asshole
birdhouse flew jaws out to do it. Security wouldn't let him. Even for $500. Said he "wasn't a fucking prostitute"

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
No episode will ever top this one.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »
Very moving stuff. Incredible guilt that he's carrying. Hope he is able to continue moving on and find solace in sobriety.
The motorbike crash could have happened a million times over in my life. Definitely provokes some self reflection.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »
So fucking heavy.

alcohol is the fucking worst. Leads to so much shit. A world of shit. And although Dustin is the 1 out of 10,000 making it work I'm sure he's fighting his own demons.

This is the best thing I've seen in a long, long time.  10/10 Pat.
Dustin is not making it work. He's a wreck man.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:36 AM »
heavy

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 02:16:17 AM »
That was well told and edited together.

Having such an addictive side to your character must suck but at the same time it is part of what made him a great.

Strangely positive twist to it all, even the part about skateboarding not really mattering.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

nowell

• Rep: -153
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:10 AM »
Dustin Dollin is notorious for only ever drinking like half a beer then cracking a new one to make it seem he's drank more than he really has

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »
How eerie was that session with Shane, Ali, Lewis Marnell, and Jake Duncombe?

That part left a huge impression. Shane is gone, Lewis is gone, Ali's life is ruined, and duncombe is... Still piling out, I think?

I watched this after accidentally waking up at 4am. Not sure if this was a good or a bad time to watch it. Amazing doc. I hope Ali's days get better.

Mike

• Rep: -44
  • Upcoming
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:19 AM »
Heavy episode, that's for sure.

One thing leaves me puzzled though. How was Ali able to afford his addiction and party life style for so very long?
Kflip down 10 like it's nothing.

PsychOut

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote
How eerie was that session with Shane, Ali, Lewis Marnell, and Jake Duncombe?
[close]

That part left a huge impression. Shane is gone, Lewis is gone, Ali's life is ruined, and duncombe is... Still piling out, I think?

I watched this after accidentally waking up at 4am. Not sure if this was a good or a bad time to watch it. Amazing doc. I hope Ali's days get better.

I remember watching that and feeling the same way when it came out on globe united by fate, but at that stage Lewis was still alive, now it's kinda freaky, same with the credits in let's live and lewis and Shane are there and Lewis is covering Shane's I love older women singlet, now both are gone, dustin dollin will most likely out live everyone else, the only dude that reps the shit out of Piss Drunx, Jake lost most of his sponsors and only rides for Oz sponsors besides LE due to piling out too hard.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2015, 05:08:18 AM »
Wow, amazing series! Big thanx to Ali, for sharing his life story & revelations. Shows there is always hope for healing.

Makes me think of people in my own life who have addiction problems. 

alecjahr

• Rep: -109
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
Heavy episode, that's for sure.

One thing leaves me puzzled though. How was Ali able to afford his addiction and party life style for so very long?
his board sales alone wouldve done that im sure...i had so so so many ali boulala decks growing up even that ugly ass shoe he had

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2015, 06:26:26 AM »
That was truly amazing! I'm so glad you did this Mr Odell, it's nice to see the real side of what happens when the party is over.  I'm feeling for Ali, and am so stoked that he is sober and able to tell this story. Simply moving!

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »
Antwuan needs to watch this

that shit was heavy as fuck

id love to see one of Shane Cross and people talking about him with friends and family, hopefully one day.

well done Patrick and Ali

I'd agree, but there's no way Antwuan still possesses the critical thinking skills to apply this to his life. He'd probably just say "I don't like mopeds, doo doo doo" and go about his day.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
Sheffey or Penny next plz, need someone enigmatic to follow this one IMO

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

It's one thing when, say, Spanky gets his checks cut because he isn't skating on a level deemed worthy of someone getting paid to, realistically, not have a job and most real life responsibilities. However, Ali's shtick was that he was a pile that could sometimes skate exceedingly well. Watch any of his parts and there is a good amount of none-skate footy to pad it out. It wa as if Flip or whomever was saying "Look at this guy! He's a fucking nut! He doesn't need to actually film a full part's worth of shit, the kids will eat this shit up any way! Look at him spreading his ass cheeks, that could have been a trick, but nah, he doesn't need to!".

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that his downward spiral may have either been ignored/overlooked because he was still producing enough to get by, or that it was ignored/overlooked because it was part of what made him so marketable to kids at that time. Jackass/Bam was popular, and once kids grew out of that and saw Ali doing the same sort of sus shit, they latched onto him. Him being nuts and a pile is what made him popular, so why would they decide to cut the pay on a cash cow? Same reason they didn't take Penny's board away while he was on his sabbatical... he was making them money, and it was his shtick.

Also, look at, say, homeless drug addicts... that's another situation where you have to wonder 'How did you even get the money to get Substance X?' It doesn't matter, they got the money to procure it somehow, even if it means doing something super suspect for it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »
damn. powerful stuff. stay positive ali!

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »
Sheffey or Penny next plz, need someone enigmatic to follow this one IMO

^you sir have my vote!