Author Topic: Why Ishod is the 2015 Skater of the Year  (Read 4159 times)

MileHighSkateboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Why Ishod is the 2015 Skater of the Year
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »
I'm confused, because the more people I talk to who I thought were in the know, clearly have been sleeping this year and I am actually concerned that the SOTY trophy is in fact becoming less of a prestigious award and more along the lines of the antiquated fake trophy that every child who participates receives now.

So with that being said, the follow reasons are why Ishod should win Skate of the Year for 2015.
And i welcome anyone that could refute these points.

1. January 2015 cover, with this HAMMER! and yes it does say best tricks of 2014, but he did this trick in 2015.

2. Real Skateboard Through and Through (Note: don't forget to watch the raw footage as well, more bts Ishod destruction)
Ishod goes on a tear from Denver to Kansas City
http://www.realskateboards.com/through-and-through/

3. "The Most Push-Up Dudes" Video
Another Real trip with Ishod bangers!

4. Dew Tour Push Ishod Wair Full Part
The only dude who filmed a legit part for this project.

5. Fourstar's "Obtuse Moments" Video  
(Should have been called Ishod destroys Europe and friends)

6. Oh and if Beibel is nominated for his instagram then Thrasher putting this out the other day must mean something!
Ishod's iPhone clips from this year.
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/ishod-wair-s-iphone-video/

7. Sabotage 4 - Ishod Part
I didn't even know this existed, but go figure!

I think he's like the bus from speed, if he goes below 55 he will explode! He can't stop ripping. And the dude always gets you hyped to hop on your board. You can't tell me one other person who has embodied a SOTY this year more than Ishod Wair.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:17:16 PM by MileHighSkateboarding »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Why Ishod is the 2015 Skater of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
7. His Sabotage 4 part.

I genuinely believe he is one of the best skateboarders to ever grace our stupid little culture...

That being said, giving him SOTY is kind of a moot point though, no? He's what, 24 or 25? Barring some horrible unforeseen circumstance, he's going to be a heavy/top contender every single year for at least the next three to five years. Plus he already won it once (yes, I know Way and Cole have been repeat winners).  What I mean is that a repeat seems inevitable in his tenure on a board, but it seems too soon for one now, despite all evidence pointing to him being deserving again. That then begs the question as to if anyone wants to see a threepeat?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »
Also, I really doubt any Berrics shit he, or anyone else has done, would count towards SOTY as The Berrics are a competitor of Thrasher, financially speaking. It would be like if someone's TWS part counted or some such thing.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

miff

• Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I'm confused, because the more people I talk to who I thought were in the know, clearly have been sleeping this year and I am actually concerned that the SOTY trophy is in fact becoming less of a prestigious award and more along the lines of the antiquated fake trophy that every child who participates receives now.

How do you see it as every participant wins?

MileHighSkateboarding

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »
@mattchew, you're spitting nonsense. You basically said because he deserves it, he shouldn't get it because it's too easy to just give it to him because he destroyed too hard this year. And none of that was berrics related. All because the berrics showed the push stuff for mountain dew doesn't mean crap. They also aired the push stuff on NBC one weekend.

The only questions to beg are why is beibel even nominated, also guy? you can't give it to him because you feel bad you didn't previously and he is a legend, same goes for AVE, he had a sick part in propeller, but that's all. Luan did the same tricks in another country again. Besides him being globally loved and a ripper, dudes video parts are becoming stagnant, you could only really argue Shane, dude is progressive and continues to innovate while making video parts(plural) this year and having a ill Thrasher cover of his switch flip back nose blunt, however that is the January 2016 cover, so I'm sorry Shane, maybe next year. I still love you nugget.

I compare it to a participation trophy because of the nominees and the lack of purpose for those if it's not for something that embodies what that trophy should represent.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
ISHOD IS SOTY

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
Skater of the year is being confused with 'I like to skate' 'I need to skate' it's not exactly a skater of the year lool it just isn't
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

No1knows

• Rep: -43
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
skater of the year... bob lob law  ::)
hi.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
Ishod's sisters are fine as hell

Triple Double

• Rep: -6
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
Ishod is one of the all-time greats and it seems like he really hit his stride this year, even more so than in 2013 so maybe he won the trophy too early in his career. The last few months it has seemed like there's a new video full of ripping Ishod footage every couple of days. I saw him at a demo on the Blunder Down Under tour earlier this year (the tour video of which still hasn't been released so we'll probably see more Ishod footy when that comes out) and he was seriously incredible to watch. Dude was born to ride a skateboard. Even skating with other gnarly pros like Chima & Sebo Walker, he just outshined everyone.

That said, I preferred it when you were only allowed to win SOTY once. It was cool when they changed the rules and gave it to Danny Way a second time because what he was doing was so far beyond everyone else at that point. But then Cole won it twice as well and kind of cheapened the whole deal.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:57:17 PM by Triple Double »

No1knows

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
crazy.
hi.

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »
Also, I really doubt any Berrics shit he, or anyone else has done, would count towards SOTY as The Berrics are a competitor of Thrasher, financially speaking. It would be like if someone's TWS part counted or some such thing.

After reading Thrasher's finalists article it became clear to me why Colden didnt get nominated. In Ishod's section they made no mention of his PUSH part. I thought Colden deserved a nod since he had 2 parts in the last year but seems as if Thrasher only counted one. 

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 12:00:02 AM »
I am actually concerned that the SOTY trophy is in fact becoming less of a prestigious award and more along the lines of the antiquated fake trophy that every child who participates receives now.
It's alright bro, you shouldn't put so much importance on something that is ultimately the decision of Jake Phelps.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 03:40:33 AM »
When I typed in 'ishod' I was auto-corrected with 'is God'

But PJ still beat him in a game of skate so idk

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 04:39:05 AM »
That Ishod vs PJ has got to be one of the best games of SKATE

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 05:17:17 AM »
I am actually concerned that the SOTY trophy is in fact becoming less of a prestigious award and more along the lines of the antiquated fake trophy.

Haha, I really appreciate your irony. Save your concern for something of value...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:28:53 AM »
@mattchew, you're spitting nonsense. You basically said because he deserves it, he shouldn't get it because it's too easy to just give it to him because he destroyed too hard this year. And none of that was berrics related. All because the berrics showed the push stuff for mountain dew doesn't mean crap. They also aired the push stuff on NBC one weekend.

The only questions to beg are why is beibel even nominated, also guy? you can't give it to him because you feel bad you didn't previously and he is a legend, same goes for AVE, he had a sick part in propeller, but that's all. Luan did the same tricks in another country again. Besides him being globally loved and a ripper, dudes video parts are becoming stagnant, you could only really argue Shane, dude is progressive and continues to innovate while making video parts(plural) this year and having a ill Thrasher cover of his switch flip back nose blunt, however that is the January 2016 cover, so I'm sorry Shane, maybe next year. I still love you nugget.

I compare it to a participation trophy because of the nominees and the lack of purpose for those if it's not for something that embodies what that trophy should represent.

I assure you this does not clear up why you've referred to SOTY as a participation trophy.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 05:32:23 AM »

1. January 2015 cover, with this HAMMER! and yes it does say best tricks of 2014, but he did this trick in 2015.

Then he should get SOTY for discovering time travel.

BMCsteve

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »
We're now over halfway through this decade and he's easily been the best skater for the last 5 years.  It doesn't matter if they give him some silly award.  Everyone knows that he's completely crushing the skate universe right now

Ave will likely get it this year as a nod to his entire career.  That doesn't take anything away from what Ishod has done in 2015

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
^Spot on. Spread the love, it's not like Ishod is the only guy killing it right now.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »
agreed. and as others pointed out, hopefully ishod isnt slowing down.

No1knows

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
wondering when they will start skater of the decade.
anyways to me everyone who haven't quit skateboarding after 25 is skater of the year. 
hi.

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
I would really love to see thrasher put out another version of that skater of the year "13" video from the year that TNT won it. Like a look back at the guys who have won it over the past decade with edited parts of footage from the year they won mixed with newer stuff and little interviews etc. that was one of my favorite videos when it came out and I'm pretty sure we are almost at the 13 year mark again no?

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

;D

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
I would really love to see thrasher put out another version of that skater of the year "13" video from the year that TNT won it. Like a look back at the guys who have won it over the past decade with edited parts of footage from the year they won mixed with newer stuff and little interviews etc. that was one of my favorite videos when it came out and I'm pretty sure we are almost at the 13 year mark again no?

Agree. Same with TWS and "Anthology" that came out in 2000 from the first five years of videos, and no sort of retrospect since. But things have changed a lot since then and it wouldn't come out as a dvd or vhs you buy, but something that streams that you watch with breakfast on a tuesday.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 02:43:09 AM »

press the quote button....not hard

skate_spbr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
;D
or a Science Nobel prize, skater NBD for sure