Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1222900 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11280 on: June 02, 2022, 07:59:23 AM »
I have a weird rattle/creaking coming from the front truck of my Indy Hollows. I took the truck apart and it's not the kingpin and the pivot cup seems fine. I waxed the bottom of the bottom washer but it still sounds kind of like a metallic rattle when I land anything or a creak when I turn. I don't ride my trucks very loose. Any ideas?

Damn it. I got all logged in to write for you to do what it sounds like you’ve done: kingpin/washers binding on kingpin. I still think it might be the kingpin.
As an aside: have Indy’s been extra creaky lately? I just got blessed by the great homie with some USA 149s, and they are quiet as kept, but my more recent hollow 139s are squeakers

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11281 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:33 AM »
These are actually decently old. My neighbor bought them before the move and then we traded. I tried another washer but it still happens.

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #11282 on: June 02, 2022, 09:35:30 AM »
i posted my last painted trucks here so ill throw these recent ones in

this is the second time i made custom truck graphics or whatever. first time was for myself and this time for my homie. he wanted trucks to match his winkowski deck. i did the best i could to match the colors with what i had. it was fun. 2 different paint methods. 3 colors. i had fun with this!!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #11283 on: June 02, 2022, 09:46:48 AM »
These are actually decently old. My neighbor bought them before the move and then we traded. I tried another washer but it still happens.

Well sheeeeit.
Apologies: did you take the truck off of the board to check the kingpin? Im assuming all of the bolts are tightened…squeaks/rattles on a setup are frustrating because there are so few areas for this to happen. I’ve had wheels that the bearings didn’t seat into perfectly that causes some sounds. Creaking and rattling trucks for me have almost always been: pivot cup, bottom bushing (did you wax the bottom of the hanger?). I’ve had kingpins that worked loose, and those rattled around. Annoying as hell, but didn’t really affect the performance in a way I could notice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11284 on: June 02, 2022, 09:56:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well sheeeeit.
Apologies: did you take the truck off of the board to check the kingpin? Im assuming all of the bolts are tightened…squeaks/rattles on a setup are frustrating because there are so few areas for this to happen. I’ve had wheels that the bearings didn’t seat into perfectly that causes some sounds. Creaking and rattling trucks for me have almost always been: pivot cup, bottom bushing (did you wax the bottom of the hanger?). I’ve had kingpins that worked loose, and those rattled around. Annoying as hell, but didn’t really affect the performance in a way I could notice

I had a similar thing recently, my board had a rattle (using the ACE lows), everything was tight/as it should be (I even snugged up the wheels for no play) but I had what sounded like a metallic 'rail rattle'. Could not locate it so I just took the whole thing apart, swapped trucks and it was fine.

Gremlins.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #11285 on: June 02, 2022, 10:15:12 AM »
I didn't take the trucks off, but I secured the board to a bench with some large clamps and then used pliers with soft grip jaws to try and move it and got nothing. What I think is happening is that since the kingpin is hollow and my weight standing on the board compresses the bushings there is enough play to let the washer wiggle against the kingpin and make an echo. The simple solution might be to drop epoxy down the kingpin hole at top and bottom to plug it up and put some Teflon tape around the bottom so the washer has zero play.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11286 on: June 02, 2022, 01:27:35 PM »

this is the second time i made custom truck graphics or whatever. first time was for myself and this time for my homie. he wanted trucks to match his winkowski deck. i did the best i could to match the colors with what i had. it was fun. 2 different paint methods. 3 colors. i had fun with this!!

Woah. Awesome work mate. I especially like the color of the baseplates. <3
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11287 on: June 03, 2022, 11:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Currently running Venture 5.8’s totally stock. Was thinking of doing the Bones top washers for some extra surf, since I have some laying around anyway.

This leads me to my question: Is this healthier or gnarlier for the top bushing?

Did a quick search and found varying opinions throughout the last year or so, but wasn’t sure what the consensus was.

My conventional wisdom says the stock too washer would be more damaging because it can cut into the bushing- but who knows.
[close]
The bigger question is do you want to sacrifice better rebound for more turn? Because in my experience with venture if I run a flat top washer I get better turn but the bounce back to center is not as good.

Try a harder top bushing with the flat washer (or a bones hard and skip the top washer).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 11:58:28 AM by Xen »

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #11288 on: June 03, 2022, 11:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Currently running Venture 5.8’s totally stock. Was thinking of doing the Bones top washers for some extra surf, since I have some laying around anyway.

This leads me to my question: Is this healthier or gnarlier for the top bushing?

Did a quick search and found varying opinions throughout the last year or so, but wasn’t sure what the consensus was.

My conventional wisdom says the stock too washer would be more damaging because it can cut into the bushing- but who knows.
[close]
The bigger question is do you want to sacrifice better rebound for more turn? Because in my experience with venture if I run a flat top washer I get better turn but the bounce back to center is not as good.
[close]

Try a harder top bushing with the flat washer (or a bones hard).
Thank you. I'll have to give it a try.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11289 on: June 03, 2022, 12:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Try a harder top bushing with the flat washer (or a bones hard).
[close]
Thank you. I'll have to give it a try.

I follow the ACE formula for dual: duro 5-7 duro difference between bottom (softer) and top (harder) but it depends on what bushings you are using.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:04:34 PM by Xen »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11290 on: June 04, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »

This gave me that tickling stomach feeling. What a beautiful colour you’ve got going. Some snot wheels would make it slap S&G  goat level status.

Beautiful.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #11291 on: June 06, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
Anyone order Indy or Ace Riptide pivot cups in the last few months?  The past two sets I got were smaller than they used to be (lower) and don’t come up to the edge of the pivot cup area on the baseplate of the truck.  Not sure if this was a freak accident with a batch they made or if the dimensions permanently changed for the worse. 

The set of 159s I’m skating now are squeaking like crazy and I want to throw some Riptides in there but I don’t feel like wasting money on another weirdly sized set. 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11292 on: June 06, 2022, 12:31:17 PM »
Anyone order Indy or Ace Riptide pivot cups in the last few months?  The past two sets I got were smaller than they used to be (lower) and don’t come up to the edge of the pivot cup area on the baseplate of the truck.  Not sure if this was a freak accident with a batch they made or if the dimensions permanently changed for the worse. 

The set of 159s I’m skating now are squeaking like crazy and I want to throw some Riptides in there but I don’t feel like wasting money on another weirdly sized set.
try the nfg pivot cups
1a duro softer but around $10 cheaper
im finding similar performance if not slightly smoother
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11293 on: June 06, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
try the nfg pivot cups
1a duro softer but around $10 cheaper
im finding similar performance if not slightly smoother

You run them in Indys or Ace classics at all?  Bout to order some today.  This squeaking is negatively impacting my mediocre skating haha

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11294 on: June 06, 2022, 02:20:10 PM »
Fresh Thunder TI 149s
Flat sleeved washers
NGF 95a low top (feels much softer tho)
Venom 86a bottom (sanded down about 1mm)

Been riding various 148/161 Thunders of late, cast/forged, ollies are good, balance point good, wheebite is shit (148s on 8.3s).

Bushing-wise after playing with indy/nfg conicals and stock, I took my own advice and slapped in the Venom 86a bottom bushing and they're as good as I remember; easily the next best thing to stock if you want something a little softer with waaaaaaay more rebound - coming off the NFG bottoms it's night and day. With the better rebound and sleeved washers I get out of wheelbite territory much faster, even on forged plates.

I threw in the low nfg top, doesn't seem to make a different other than it being low so I can actually get the pin to catch the nylock and have it turn better than stock (too tight using stockheight, nut flush). But honestly any lower top would work just fine.

Are the venom bushings conical?

logjammin

• Rep: 324
« Reply #11295 on: June 06, 2022, 03:26:28 PM »

Did you order Ace pivot cups and then put them in the AF1's? That would explain them not fitting properly because they haven't released the AF1's yet since they're struggling with getting the mold right since Ace still has QC inconsistencies. If they're not fitting properly in the Ace classics or Indy's, you should email them and they will gladly send you a new set. Tracey is a really nice lady and their customer service is top notch.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11296 on: June 06, 2022, 03:39:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Fresh Thunder TI 149s
Flat sleeved washers
NGF 95a low top (feels much softer tho)
Venom 86a bottom (sanded down about 1mm)

Been riding various 148/161 Thunders of late, cast/forged, ollies are good, balance point good, wheebite is shit (148s on 8.3s).

Bushing-wise after playing with indy/nfg conicals and stock, I took my own advice and slapped in the Venom 86a bottom bushing and they're as good as I remember; easily the next best thing to stock if you want something a little softer with waaaaaaay more rebound - coming off the NFG bottoms it's night and day. With the better rebound and sleeved washers I get out of wheelbite territory much faster, even on forged plates.

I threw in the low nfg top, doesn't seem to make a different other than it being low so I can actually get the pin to catch the nylock and have it turn better than stock (too tight using stockheight, nut flush). But honestly any lower top would work just fine.

[close]

Are the venom bushings conical?

Yes. As shown in the pic.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11297 on: June 06, 2022, 03:55:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you order Ace pivot cups and then put them in the AF1's? That would explain them not fitting properly because they haven't released the AF1's yet since they're struggling with getting the mold right since Ace still has QC inconsistencies. If they're not fitting properly in the Ace classics or Indy's, you should email them and they will gladly send you a new set. Tracey is a really nice lady and their customer service is top notch.

I know what you’re saying, but no, this was Indy Riptide pivot cups that I put into Independent Trucks.  I said Indy/Ace because to the best of my knowledge the Indy Riptide pivot cups and Ace (classics) Riptide pivot cups are the same size. Yeah Tracey is awesome (they even mailed holiday cards to their customers haha).  I’ll probably hit them up about it.  They seem like such good people I actually feel bad bothering them cause their products have generally served me so well in the past.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #11298 on: June 10, 2022, 07:23:09 AM »

Did anyone ever confirm if these are some random truck brand, or is Powell Peralta actually prototyping RKP's for street?

IpathCats

« Reply #11299 on: June 10, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did anyone ever confirm if these are some random truck brand, or is Powell Peralta actually prototyping RKP's for street?

RKPs with an integrated lapper-esque mechanism. the future is weird.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11300 on: June 10, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »
I haven’t been able to sleep a wink….

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11301 on: June 10, 2022, 08:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think someone said they're an Aera prototype, that seems to be the most likely to me...

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #11302 on: June 10, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think someone said they're an Aera prototype, that seems to be the most likely to me...

Yeah, someone in another thread clearly knew about truck manufacturing and pointed out that these are Aera, and also that Aera is the company which manufactures Ace Trucks in China.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 324
« Reply #11303 on: June 10, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
It's actually the Paris trucks factory that I am pretty sure manufactures Ace AF1's because Joey Pulsifer owns them and he rolls with Joey and Shrewg.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11304 on: June 10, 2022, 06:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, someone in another thread clearly knew about truck manufacturing and pointed out that these are Aera, and also that Aera is the company which manufactures Ace Trucks in China.

I think that was Paris, not Aera. Aera is like Skate One’s longboard div. or something.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11305 on: June 11, 2022, 02:20:33 AM »
I read here that the Indy Mids don't have the best grind clearance but I look at the forged version of them.

50.5mm height sounds pretty good to me. My question is, can I put I regular kingpin in them and shorten it a bit with a angle grinder and low top bushings?

I don't feel like dealing with inverted kingpins that come loose over time.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11306 on: June 11, 2022, 04:09:55 AM »
I read here that the Indy Mids don't have the best grind clearance but I look at the forged version of them.

50.5mm height sounds pretty good to me. My question is, can I put I regular kingpin in them and shorten it a bit with a angle grinder and low top bushings?

I don't feel like dealing with inverted kingpins that come loose over time.

It is not the inverted kingpin that comes loose, so much as it is the inverted nut arrangement that you cannot remove without messing up the whole baseplate, but from trying out other inverted kingpins, some do tend to work well in the Mid baseplate and allow for a lot more clearance, if the kingpin has more threads, you can definitely take it down lower.

What might be an easier option is putting the Mid hanger on a normal forged baseplate and using an angle grinder to take the kingpin down as much as is needed, which I have done for a whole lot of trucks and it works well and gives a much better clearance anyway, even on the Mid hanger.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #11307 on: June 11, 2022, 05:21:35 AM »
The indy mid kingpin is really really sticky some times. I just own the plates for some old stage 11 hangers where the plates were plates were broken.
The original krux dlk kingpin has the trucks even loser then the indy mid/new krux pin because it has the same length (with same amount of threads) but the top is conical because it is counter sunk in the top washer so it applies pressure later and also differently because of the weird washer shape.
I've read here that people were using the kre'per pins because they have more threads.
Both the kre'per kingpins and the original krux dlk are not available in germany I guess (anymore).
There was a time last year were suddenly titus online had the old dlks in stock for a week or so after them not being available anywhere for years. I guess somebody went through there old stock when the new mindys and replacement kingpins arrived. And I regret I only bought 2 sets but I also never wanna deal with ikp again it's a mess.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11308 on: June 11, 2022, 07:52:05 AM »
Someone posted before the seat bolt….Seatbolt, flat washer, bones?  That would work no?

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #11309 on: June 11, 2022, 08:28:24 AM »
Someone posted before the seat bolt….Seatbolt, flat washer, bones?  That would work no?

I guess the seat bolt will be pretty hard to get in germany as well. But might be worth a try to go in some enthusiast shop for american cars.