Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229133 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11310 on: June 11, 2022, 09:07:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Someone posted before the seat bolt….Seatbolt, flat washer, bones?  That would work no?
[close]

I guess the seat bolt will be pretty hard to get in germany as well. But might be worth a try to go in some enthusiast shop for american cars.

I'd imagine a small parts retailer in Germany distributes them. They're manufactured in China and shipped around the globe:

https://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Shaanxi-Vital/6008854151035/pdtl/Titanium-Jacobs-Ladder-Bolt/1183925452.htm
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #11311 on: June 11, 2022, 09:36:26 AM »

Psyched on this set up at the moment

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

Crazy turn radius for low trucks . This is the loosest I’ve ever ridden my trucks and it’s been really fun. Fucking with my flat ground tricks a little but getting used to it this past week.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #11312 on: June 11, 2022, 02:55:55 PM »
I read here that the Indy Mids don't have the best grind clearance but I look at the forged version of them.

50.5mm height sounds pretty good to me. My question is, can I put I regular kingpin in them and shorten it a bit with a angle grinder and low top bushings?

I don't feel like dealing with inverted kingpins that come loose over time.

I put a 139 mid hanger and a regular forged plate on my junk board. Works fine, but you might have to get/make some shorter bushings if you’re going to grind down the kingpin.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #11313 on: June 12, 2022, 04:33:18 AM »
Anyone heard any news about the indy stage 12s? Found Ti's on sale but dont really need new trucks just yet

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #11314 on: June 12, 2022, 07:07:12 AM »
Anyone heard any news about the indy stage 12s? Found Ti's on sale but dont really need new trucks just yet

Without any source or credibility at all I'm telling you that a stage 12 is not happening in the next 5 years.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11315 on: June 12, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I read here that the Indy Mids don't have the best grind clearance but I look at the forged version of them.

50.5mm height sounds pretty good to me. My question is, can I put I regular kingpin in them and shorten it a bit with a angle grinder and low top bushings?

[close]

I put a 139 mid hanger and a regular forged plate on my junk board. Works fine, but you might have to get/make some shorter bushings if you’re going to grind down the kingpin.

What is the truck height with a mid hanger on a forged baseplate? Forged Hollow trucks are 53.5mm if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all the help ya all.
IG: @flowterspace

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #11316 on: June 12, 2022, 03:54:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What is the truck height with a mid hanger on a forged baseplate? Forged Hollow trucks are 53.5mm if I remember correctly.

Baseplates on mids are the same, the hanger is just 3mm lower. So you get a 50.5mm truck

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #11317 on: June 13, 2022, 04:35:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Baseplates on mids are the same, the hanger is just 3mm lower. So you get a 50.5mm truck

Aah, I see. Guess I have to look out for hollow mindy's now. Thanks pals.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #11318 on: June 13, 2022, 08:07:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Without any source or credibility at all I'm telling you that a stage 12 is not happening in the next 5 years.

Have Indy had a truck which they have kept around for as long as the Stage 11? I feel like we are kinda at a point where Indy = Stage 11 and they would be foolish to mess with something so widely accepted as the industry leading best product, but who knows.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #11319 on: June 13, 2022, 10:33:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did anyone ever confirm if these are some random truck brand, or is Powell Peralta actually prototyping RKP's for street?

I don't know the branding they will use for it, but it was confirmed to me by SkateOne when I asked about it, and the traditional kingpin one Zach was skating.

"Still in testing phase but getting close. The RKP is looking really good with the feedback from our team."

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11320 on: June 13, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have Indy had a truck which they have kept around for as long as the Stage 11? I feel like we are kinda at a point where Indy = Stage 11 and they would be foolish to mess with something so widely accepted as the industry leading best product, but who knows.

Barring really early stages, I don't think so. Stage XI released in 2013 (?) Almost a decade old now...keep in mind the newer 215s and the Mids are 'classic Indy geometry' whatever stage that's supposed to represent.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11321 on: June 13, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Barring really early stages, I don't think so. Stage XI released in 2013 (?) Almost a decade old now...keep in mind the newer 215s and the Mids are 'classic Indy geometry' whatever stage that's supposed to represent.

I wasn’t aware that those trucks were considered to have different geometry!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11322 on: June 13, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess it's now Legendary instead of classic (which they used at launch).

"The new MiD Forged Hollow is 50.5mm tall and built on Independent's legendary geometry with full size cushions for maximum turning action and comes in 129, 139, 144, 149, 159 sizes.'

'Maximum turning action" lolwtf

"Independent Trucks 215s feature a retro Stage 4 style single wing hanger design and are great on wider boards from 9.5 to 10.5 inches."

they don't even list a stage for the 215s...

My guess? They're just frankentruckin' the mids and 215s these days.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 03:44:58 PM by Xen »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11323 on: June 13, 2022, 05:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess it's now Legendary instead of classic (which they used at launch).

"The new MiD Forged Hollow is 50.5mm tall and built on Independent's legendary geometry with full size cushions for maximum turning action and comes in 129, 139, 144, 149, 159 sizes.'

'Maximum turning action" lolwtf

"Independent Trucks 215s feature a retro Stage 4 style single wing hanger design and are great on wider boards from 9.5 to 10.5 inches."

they don't even list a stage for the 215s...

My guess? They're just frankentruckin' the mids and 215s these days.

They definitely have different turning on the different stages of Indy, but that can also be replicated with taller or shorter bottom bushings too.

When playing around with some old stages, I could feel the difference between those and the lack of turn on Stage 9 which I was most used to before the Stage 11 came out and now pretty much all the older trucks are easily replaced with any Stage 11 truck for me.

In one experiment, even putting the 1-2 mm bit I cut off the top bushing in with the bottom bushing the trucks turned in a way smaller circle and were so much lighter feeling than with stock bushings, when swapping back and forth.

Fancy words and catch phrases aside, they are a solid truck for pretty much everything, but that is also not to say that I cannot make almost any other truck brand turn well enough that I have played around with, usually involving risers and cut up bushings on cruiser boards with big soft wheels, but as marketed by truck companies, some definitely have a more natural turn than others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11324 on: June 13, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »

What’s going on here? What are theses horrendous trucks?

This kid rips too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #11325 on: June 13, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »

This kid rips too.
That’s what happens when you put your mouth on one end of a hollow axle, plug the other end, and suck.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #11326 on: June 13, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »

This kid rips too.

Scroll back up the thread, I think they’re the same Powell experimental trucks people have been talking about.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11327 on: June 14, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »

This kid rips too.

Who is it?  Are they a Powell sponsored rider?  They do look like the SkateOne RKP trucks from that shot.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #11328 on: June 15, 2022, 12:21:41 AM »
I need the collective wisdom of every nerd on here that's tried the IKP JB-weld hack.

I put some titanium GK kingpins in a pair of Theeves, and did the JB-weld thing to hold the nut in place. I'd say I did a pretty good job, but I've been experiencing a weird sound coming from my trucks ever since. It's a consistent squeaking sound, not when you turn like you get from pivot cups and bushings, but one you hear the entire time while you're riding, but gets louder when turning.

I first thought it was my bearings, but I switched those, and have since gone mad switching out every component possible. It's the fucking kingpins! I took the trucks off, and sure enough the nut had wiggled loose. The JB-weld doesn't hold at all. The nut doesn't spin or hit the deck or anything though, so I'm still confused by the noise.

I don't mind a little noise coming from my trucks or wheels, but this shit makes the whole board feel sluggish, even though it isn't.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #11329 on: June 15, 2022, 11:01:43 AM »
I used the gorilla glue epoxy from that one dude's youtube video tutorial and I mixed it and did it right, but ultimately it just made the turn shitty on my Ace classics because without a kingpin really lodged in there fully secured with the splines, or that shaft nut that Indy has in the IKP baseplates, there's too much play that reduces the true turn.. I also had a weird noise it wasn't a squeak it was more like a clicky noise. I stopped fucking with IKP stuff. If anything just get a shorter top bushing and set the nut and angle grind the kingpin down. Way better solution, imo.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #11330 on: June 15, 2022, 12:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Did anyone ever confirm if these are some random truck brand, or is Powell Peralta actually prototyping RKP's for street?
[close]

I think someone said they're an Aera prototype, that seems to be the most likely to me...

I found a different answer by going over to the SkateOne forum

"AnimalChin" who looks like a moderator said this on June 13 about the trucks:
"Still in testing phase but getting close. The RKP is looking really good with the feedback from our team. If I get any samples will let you know."

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11331 on: June 15, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think someone said they're an Aera prototype, that seems to be the most likely to me...
[close]

I found a different answer by going over to the SkateOne forum

"AnimalChin" who looks like a moderator said this on June 13 about the trucks:
"Still in testing phase but getting close. The RKP is looking really good with the feedback from our team. If I get any samples will let you know."

Aera is SkateOne, and they haven't said what this truck would be released as (Aera, Powell, MiniLogo or a new brand)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11332 on: June 15, 2022, 02:02:31 PM »
Skateboarders are going to have a hard time accepting RKP trucks but imagine how well those grind. No more need for inverted kingpin conversions.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11333 on: June 15, 2022, 02:49:19 PM »
Skateboarders are going to have a hard time accepting RKP trucks but imagine how well those grind. No more need for inverted kingpin conversions.

They’ll need to get Kader or some shit to make these sell

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #11334 on: June 15, 2022, 03:18:19 PM »
Gonna cross post this from the Venture thread but this is what I did to lodge my kingpin nut firmly in

“Also used an easy method for getting the kingpin nut lodged in there. Put it in, set the kingpin, drill part of a small nail into the space to lodge the nut in there good , break off the end of nail so nothing is sticking out, this ensures you will not get a loose kingpin by any means and sand down on a stone or cement outside the truck if any part of the kingpin nut or screw is sticking out”

This is a good representation of what I’m talking about . Have the nut in the baseplate with the king pin screwed in holding it in place , and drill a screw into there and break off the screw with pliers and file it down (watch out when you break screw!)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdVmUZmlyIO/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #11335 on: June 15, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »
I've been looking through the instagram account fuckwithyourtrucks a lot lately and its gotten me really curious about the whole running different branded hangars and baseplates thing. Anyone on here do this regularly? Could I put say a venture hangar on like an indy baeplate and have a venture that skates like an indy or am I just being dumb. I know compatibility is probably the main reason more people don't do this.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #11336 on: June 15, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They’ll need to get Kader or some shit to make these sell

They look ugly as sin. I'd rather hang up

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #11337 on: June 17, 2022, 08:47:49 AM »
it might make sense for practical reasons, but rkp trucks just look wrong to me. almost unsettingly so.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11338 on: June 17, 2022, 04:16:18 PM »
Yeah man I can’t smith grind anyway so I’m not gonna be messing with something as garish as that truck.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11339 on: June 17, 2022, 05:27:56 PM »
I like that we sort of have two threads going about the same trucks and we've self sorted, this is the "I would never ride the rkp trucks" thread and the "new mini-lgo truck design" thread is like "....I'd give them a shot"