Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1228544 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #11820 on: February 13, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »
TGM has some 159 Indy Hollows for $42, the same pair on my main setup. I’m tempted to buy them and put them on another setup, but that feels kinda weird, essentially having two identical setups. Have any of y’all ever done that?

I haven't, but I've considered it.   I really like SPF wheels at the park I go to most.  They are noticeably faster than F4 101s or 99s, and a bigger difference to X 97 and Dragons.   But SPF suck everywhere else.    I end up having different boards set up with different wheels, but then I'm skating a different deck shape (and often size, and sometimes brand of trucks).   Having a mostly same setup (deck and trucks), and differing the wheels would probably be best for my skating.  Seems like an SPF setup and an X 97 would cover almost everything I skate.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 63
« Reply #11821 on: February 13, 2023, 10:36:09 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies. Think I’ll just stick with what I have. I do have some 149s too.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #11822 on: February 13, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
If you (as so many of us do) have one setup with 144s and another with 139s or 149s, you're basically already doing this. Convincing yourself you need an 8.25" and an 8.5" is the same shit.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

« Reply #11823 on: February 13, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »
If you (as so many of us do) have one setup with 144s and another with 139s or 149s, you're basically already doing this. Convincing yourself you need an 8.25" and an 8.5" is the same shit.
My 8.5 setup has 159 Hollows and  53mm spitfire F4 tablets. The other is an 8.25 VX twintail with 149s and 55mm Spitfire F4 classics. They actually feel different… I think 🥲

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #11824 on: February 13, 2023, 11:46:42 AM »
Does 8.125 with thunder 148 work well for someone like me who does a lot of flat ? I have already tried the 147 and I do not like the way they are very "tight" and low.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 458
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11825 on: February 13, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »
My current setup is 8.125 with 148 lights and for me it flips great.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11826 on: February 13, 2023, 03:30:45 PM »
I’d consider getting a cast baseplate ie. team and maybe some conical bushings to get some turn on….

Other alternatives, Venture high is a great truck and ole faithful….Indy’s…

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11827 on: February 13, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »
TGM has some 159 Indy Hollows for $42, the same pair on my main setup. I’m tempted to buy them and put them on another setup, but that feels kinda weird, essentially having two identical setups. Have any of y’all ever done that?

Some people find no end to troubles with having more than one board and I can easily understand why.

I have maybe too many setups of the same stuff, usually just with different wheels, some 99, some 97, some softer, etc.

This is more so because I have different places I skate, so can leave boards in those places, but they do still wear differently, even having what started as identical setups, for the most part.

I like to have this sort of setup, but it can make some things weird or more difficult if you get too used to one board and then another just doesn't feel quite the same for whatever reason.  Not to say I like the challenge, but it is way easier than swapping wheels or hangers or whatever out every other session.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11828 on: February 14, 2023, 02:01:22 PM »
Does 8.125 with thunder 148 work well for someone like me who does a lot of flat ? I have already tried the 147 and I do not like the way they are very "tight" and low.

Yes, great combination. The 144s will push your wheels out to the edge of the board while giving you a bit more stability and grind room.

Provided your 8.125" truly is and not an 8"

OhioGuy

« Reply #11829 on: February 14, 2023, 07:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some people find no end to troubles with having more than one board and I can easily understand why.

I have maybe too many setups of the same stuff, usually just with different wheels, some 99, some 97, some softer, etc.

This is more so because I have different places I skate, so can leave boards in those places, but they do still wear differently, even having what started as identical setups, for the most part.

I like to have this sort of setup, but it can make some things weird or more difficult if you get too used to one board and then another just doesn't feel quite the same for whatever reason.  Not to say I like the challenge, but it is way easier than swapping wheels or hangers or whatever out every other session.

Yeah I talked myself out of it. Not sure why, but my madness has been in overdrive over the last few days. Like I'm just looking for an excuse to buy something for that needed dopamine hit. I've chilled out now.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11830 on: February 14, 2023, 07:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah I talked myself out of it. Not sure why, but my madness has been in overdrive over the last few days. Like I'm just looking for an excuse to buy something for that needed dopamine hit. I've chilled out now.

Let it sit in the cart for a while before pulling the trigger so you don't buy on impulse.

But if you must then wait for the Skate Shop Day sales.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11831 on: February 15, 2023, 05:32:19 PM »
What trucks are most similar to silver m class? But with bigger axle width options?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #11832 on: February 15, 2023, 05:36:36 PM »
What trucks are most similar to silver m class? But with bigger axle width options?

Ace AF1 low. They go up to 8.75

Or mini logo

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #11833 on: February 16, 2023, 02:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or mini logo

I'd say it depends on which characteristics you're looking for exactly.

- Ventures are closest in turn and stability, but the 6.1s (8.75 axle) are high trucks (cast baseplates are ~53.1mm high, forged ~51.8mm).

- AF1 lows are only 49mm high, but have a much surfier turn and less stability.

- Thunders are in between Ventures and Aces both in terms of turn and stability and in height (team baseplates on the 151s are 52mm high, forged 51mm). They also come in even bigger axle withs if 8.75 isn't big enough for you.

I'd go with Ventures if you don't mind the extra height, but you can't go wrong with either truck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #11834 on: February 16, 2023, 04:58:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Or mini logo
[close]

- Ventures are closest in turn and stability, but the 6.1s (8.75 axle) are high trucks (cast baseplates are ~53.1mm high, forged ~51.8mm).

- Thunders are in between Ventures and Aces both in terms of turn and stability and in height (team baseplates on the 151s are 52mm high, forged 51mm). They also come in even bigger axle withs if 8.75 isn't big enough for you.

I'd go with Ventures if you don't mind the extra height, but you can't go wrong with either truck.

Agree about turn and stability, but I think the silver trucks had a really short wheelbase. So ventures might throw him off.
I can't remember the actual height of the silver trucks, just that they're low, with zero kingpin clearance

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #11835 on: February 16, 2023, 05:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Or mini logo
[close]

[close]

Agree about turn and stability, but I think the silver trucks had a really short wheelbase. So ventures might throw him off.
I can't remember the actual height of the silver trucks, just that they're low, with zero kingpin clearance

Good point. I've got some lying around and just measured, Ventures extend the wheelbase ~3,3", Silvers just ~2.8". That extra half inch is probably noticeable.

I thought the Silvers were lower, but they're ~51,8mm high, so pretty much exactly the height of forged Ventures or team Thunders.

Goes to show there's no real close comparison to Silvers. I know a lot of people hate on them quite hard, but I think they're a perfectly valid truck if you prize stability above all else.

KookTheElder

• Rep: -12
« Reply #11836 on: February 16, 2023, 05:53:45 AM »
I’ve come to like the geo on the M-class silvers, wheelbase and ride height feel closest to thunders but the turn is super stable and linear like ventures. Compared to ventures they grind like butter…trucks are more akin to ventures/thunders than ACE/mini logo/royals which are definitely less stable than silvers, I can’t front foot steer my silvers the same way I can minilogos…

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11837 on: February 16, 2023, 07:11:17 AM »
Re-arranged my wheels and now everything makes more sense kinda. i have plans for stuff when it gets too beat up but i am happy with where everything is now

3 flip board:
8" Isle Paul Shier / Venture 5.2 Standard / Bones STF 103a (50mm) / throwaway bearings

Tryhard / Main Normal Board
8.5"x14wb" Anti Hero / Indy Titanium / Bones STF 103a (50mm) / Modus Bearings

Monster Truck (filming + bad ground)
8.75" Anti hero Blue Meanie shape / Indy Forged Hollows / OJ 95a 58mm / Bronson G3

Favorite Setup
9.125" Franky Primitive egg / Ace 60 / Spitfire F4 99a 54mm / Bones Super Swiss

I am getting kind of old so i dont do a lot of flip tricks anymore. Just a few per session. Sometimes I feel like working on new flip tricks though and 8" is the size I rode for many years. So that setup just came about from just having old stuff laying around.

I had 58mm wheels on the Egg board for awhile because I was skating at a very slippery indoor. But now winter is basically over I have switched it over to 54mm F4s and it feels a lot better. I am not wheelbiting at all and it feels like I have even more turning too.

I had the F4s on my "tryhard" setup before. I was riding really big wheels for a long time on 8". I was even riding those 58mm on an 8" for a short time! that was really goofy. 56mm was probably my normal size, so I thought going down to 54mm would be good. I was skating well enough on that too, but whne i went down to these really tiny 50mm wheels it feels perfect. I am on those high ass indys so it just brings it down nice and low to the height i like. turning feels a lot better too. i like to do curb combos on this board a lot too so having the most slick tiny wheels possible is pretty ideal. i think the only thing id change is the shape to radials probably for this board next time.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #11838 on: February 16, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »
You can three flip that Frankie egg. I know you can.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #11839 on: February 16, 2023, 02:25:54 PM »
@Daewons front truck post here for trucks. Your topic was redundant.
DISCLAIMER: this is NOTa complete list of all truck brands, however, I will be covering most of the big brands in the industry. I will be covering all the trucks that I have experience with in my 20+ years of skateboarding. I will not be giving an opinion on anything that I haven't personally had and used in my lifetime that includes Destructo, the only large company I have no experience with. However, this post is just that, an opinion. Please note that everyone has different tastes and needs when it comes to purchasing a pair of trucks. You may hate something I love and vise versa. I strongly suggest  everyone to  try a bunch of different trucks, who knows you may happen to run across your goldilocks truck when exploring the different possibilities. I tried to make sure the measurements mentioned below are correct, but if I  got something wrong  I apologize. I hope this helps and if you like it and want to see a wheel or bearing guide let me know and I'd be happy to accommodate. Thanks, AJ

INDEPENDENT ]--independent is definitely the most popular brand in skateboarding and there is a reason why. They are really good, no matter what type skating you might do. On one of my set-ups I have a pair of Indy hallows and they might be the favorite trucks I have ever had. Independent is going nowhere any time soon, the skatability on all terrains make it a happy medium. I have never met anyone who said they despised Indy's. They come in High=55mm mid=53.5. the hallow Indy's are 7% lighter than standards, the FORGED hallows are 10% lighter. Indy brand bushings are available. Overall 9.2/10

Pros: Durability, easy to break in, good stock bushings, responsive turning, great for transition and street.
             Cons: Heavier than most trucks, now made in China

Sizes: 109=6.9 129=7.6 139=8.0 144=8.25 149=8.5 159=8.75 169=9.125 215=10.0

Theeve--never had them but I needed to say this.  there "titanium trucks" have 0% titanium in them and when confronted about it they said that "it's just a name".  That's false advertising and they lied to us so fuck them. Better change there brand name to "thief" instead.

Core-- core is actually the first trucks that I owned, they are a price point truck that came with a complete as a child. These trucks serve their purpose which is to provide a price point truck for beginners and people that are down on their luck. They grind just fine however but they feel like if you tried to jump anything bigger than a 5 set they would shatter into a billion pieces. Unfortunately I was unable to find much information on the specs of core trucks. Ovr 5.0/10

Pros: cheap price, smooth grinding
          Cons: cheaply made, horrible bushings, awkward turning

Krux-- before I give my thoughts I need to mention that my experience with Krux is with the K4. I haven't tried the k5 I've heard people say they were better so I may try them eventually. Now that we got out of the way I have to say these were the worst turning trucks I've EVER had it felt like my only options were wheel bite or tightening the trucks so tight that I couldn't do any carving whatsoever. Another problem I experienced with these trucks was that I couldn't seem to get a groove in my truck. Almost  Every other company ive rode was able to get that nice groove with enough smith grinds and crooked.  With these I would get down to the axle without the benefit of having that nice pocket for my feeble grinds to chill in. One thing I do appreciate is the self-explanatory trucks sizes. Height=55mm Krux brand bushings are available. Ovr 2.2/10

Pros: low kingpin
           Cons: too many

Tensor-- probably the company that causes biggest argument over trucks, people seem to either love them or hate them. Personally I really like them. They come in regular alloys, aluminum, and Mag Light. I seen to do my best manuals when I'm riding a set of Tensors. Bones or Do-Do bushings are a must for tensor alloys. Height=53mm. OVR 7.7/10

Pros: lightweight, somewhat cheaper than other brands, many different designs, ATG. Smoothest grind.
          Cons: mediocre stock bushings, squeaky pivot cups (easy fix, cut small pieces of wax into pivot cup and you're golden.)

Size chart: 4.25=6.9, 4.75=7.3, 5.0=7.625, 5.25=8.0, 5.5=8.25, 5.75=8.5

Thunder-- one of the most popular brands in the industry, thunder makes a good all around truck no matter what you're skating. They are a very light truck which is not my personal cup of tea and they sit low to the ground for my taste. In the mid 2000s thunders would be the only truck I consistently bought. Whether you skate transition or street thunders will perform no matter the occasion. Height=52.3 for highs, Regs=49.78. thunder brand bushings are available. Thunder has team editions, lights, super lights, and titanium. Ovr 9.2/10

Size Chart: 143=7.125, 145=7.62, 147=8.0, 148=8.25, 149=8.5, 151=8.75

Royal-- I will keep this one a bit shorter because my experience with the mid 2000s royals is not the same as the newer ones. The old versions kingpin broke on me after 3 mild sessions, that's never happened to me before. BS bluntslide on a curb caused it of all things. I had no complaints with the turning or grinding of the old royals before it happened. I have only limited experience with the new royals and I will just say they seem like a better quality then the old version. Was not a fan  of the bushings on the new royals. Hallows, and DLK are now offered OVR 5.2/10

Size chart: 127=7.5, 139=8.0, 144=8.25, 149=8.5, 159=8.75

Bullet-- not too much to say, pretty much the same experience with these as with the core trucks. Cheap, price point trucks that are ok. Height=51.5mm  OVR 5.0/10

Size Chart: 110=6.9, 131=7.6, 140=8.0, 150=8.5.

Venture -- venture is a solid overall truck. Venture is another one of those loved companies that have stood the test of time. Venture makes a super responsive truck that grinds smoothly. If you skate really loose trucks you might want to purchase the venture "loose trucks conversion kit" because it's really difficult to get these super loose. Venture is sometimes seen as a street skaters truck but it holds its own in transition too! Venture bushings are available, but, they are under the name "deluxe bushings". Height=53.5mm for "high trucks", low=48.3mm. OVR 8.6/10

Pros: durable, responsive, natural "pinch".
          Cons: speed wobbles, hard to loosen,  long break in period

Size Chart: 5.0=7.62, 5.2=8.0, 5.6=8.25, 5.8=8.5, 6.1=8.75

Ace-- ace trucks by far have the most carvey feel to them, loose ace trucks truly feels like sidewalk surfing. These trucks are fantastic for transition but also great in the streets. I love the controlled, smooth grind Ace provides and they are great for slappys. Ace trucks come in two different models, the AF-1 and classic. A weird quirk with these are that you can only switch in ace brand or Krux bushings, so stay away from those bones bushings with these, it could potentially lead to your truck not working as it should. AF hallows now exist. AF-1 height=53mm, classic=52mm  OVR 8.6/10

Pros: super carvey, controlled grind, great in cruisers
           Cons: bad bushings, difficult to tighten

AF-1 size chart- 22=7.75, 33=8.0, 44=8.25, 55=8.5, 60=8.75, 66=9.0, 77=9.5, 81=10.0
           Classic size chart: 00=6.5, 11=7.0, 22=7.6, 33=8.0, 44=8.35, 55=9.0, 66=9.35

Grind King-- Grind King has made a come back of sorts and I couldn't be happier, grind King will always have a special place in my heart because the first trucks I ever remember seeing at a skate shop was the velvet grind kings. The new trucks they make are called " Disrupter" and they are not bad at all, very smooth and responsive truck, I love the DLK because it makes smith grinds a dream. Height=53mm OVR 8.2/10

Size Chart: 5.0=7.62, 5.5=8.06, 6.0=8.26

logjammin

• Rep: 334
« Reply #11840 on: February 16, 2023, 05:52:22 PM »
Definitely did not need to repost that

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #11841 on: February 16, 2023, 07:08:21 PM »
It’s easier than an explanation.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11842 on: February 16, 2023, 07:09:39 PM »

Really. Did anyone ask?

logjammin

• Rep: 334
« Reply #11843 on: February 17, 2023, 05:57:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really. Did anyone ask?

Uh...did you read it? Lol. No need to get snippy mister Xen.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #11844 on: February 17, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »

i did it with the 58s on, but it sure feels a lot easier with the 54s. it just feels like it was meant to be like this! Everything is just popping up so good now!

Thunder 151 would sit the same height as aces as well i believe at 53 mm. I am trying to get my setup as close to franky's as possible. I think I am really close now. I dont think he rocks hollows or anyting like that but its hard to tell. I have a really good picture of his setup i saved from his stories if anyone is interested.

I am not really understanding why anyone would ever want a truck larger than a 8.75" axle. My curbs here in small town canada are all into the grass and i tried my friend's 169s and they actually eat too mcuh of the curb and go into the grass, or even worse, the unwaxed / unlacquered dry side of the curb and just dig in completely :( i think those sizes of trucks are more meant for transition skating. Even when we waxed up both sides of the curb it felt very slow trying to grind a long distance because so much of the truck making contact with the curb. also, getting out of the grind felt really difficult bceause your wheels are now so locked in on each side so you have to really boost an ollie out which is pretty hard from that position.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11845 on: February 17, 2023, 08:35:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I am not really understanding why anyone would ever want a truck larger than a 8.75" axle. My curbs here in small town canada are all into the grass and i tried my friend's 169s and they actually eat too mcuh of the curb and go into the grass, or even worse, the unwaxed / unlacquered dry side of the curb and just dig in completely :( i think those sizes of trucks are more meant for transition skating. Even when we waxed up both sides of the curb it felt very slow trying to grind a long distance because so much of the truck making contact with the curb. also, getting out of the grind felt really difficult bceause your wheels are now so locked in on each side so you have to really boost an ollie out which is pretty hard from that position.

Imo all this curb shit is a scam to sell a second, third, whatever complete to skaters who don’t need it. You need another skateboard entirely in order to grind a curb? GTFO

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #11846 on: February 17, 2023, 08:48:29 AM »
Well for me I never wanted a board that wasnt practical for other stuff. I think an egg shape actually is pretty practical if you think about it because as someone who skated 8" board for a long time, it is much easier for me to get used to the kicks as they basically are the same thing you would have on a board that size. skating a 9" but then you have a fat middle so you dont drag so mcuh on your landings. tucked in wheel base to give it a good spin geometry on the shoveit. and then its nice and wide so you can have bigger trucks on it which allows you to have a lot better turning.

riding an 8" truck feels so tic-tacky to me now.

i think the feeling of making big turns in itself is actually worth experiencing. i also went to bigger boards to actually take skating less seriously. but we all love to land a boosted flip trick sometimes too. i dont think its a complete scam. i put mad hours on all these boards, pretty stupid amounts before i move on to the next one. probably put 100 hours on each board at least and probably more on the trucks, and that is a good return on investment.

but yeah i never buy anything specific to be a "curb" board - i do think that is a bit silly. you can hit curbs with the biggest piece of crap board, any shape or size - thats why i like it so much.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11847 on: February 17, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Imo all this curb shit is a scam to sell a second, third, whatever complete to skaters who don’t need it. You need another skateboard entirely in order to grind a curb? GTFO

I’m a very broken record, but skate trends are kinda silly, and often fairly ‘counterproductive’ (if the intent of playing with a child’s toy was to ‘produce results’ like tricks landed, or whatever).
With that awkward windup…the riding of large setups can be fun, but as an older person I haven’t found it at all helpful.  Fun at times. But…yeah. Puleo out there in the crust on 5.0 lo’s and 50s. Pretty sure I don’t need a bespoke 9” board to curb dance.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11848 on: February 17, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »
To be clear, I have no problem with whatever skateboard someone wants to ride. I don’t think everyone needs an 8.25” popsicle and clearly most experienced skaters can get used to anything functional and competently made. I more take umbrage with the concept of an entirely separate skateboard, one substantially different than your regular board, which one will use for the unique activity of curb skating, something most of us grew up doing on the single skateboard we owned at the time.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #11849 on: February 17, 2023, 11:47:41 AM »
To be clear, I have no problem with whatever skateboard someone wants to ride. I don’t think everyone needs an 8.25” popsicle and clearly most experienced skaters can get used to anything functional and competently made. I more take umbrage with the concept of an entirely separate skateboard, one substantially different than your regular board, which one will use for the unique activity of curb skating, something most of us grew up doing on the single skateboard we owned at the time.

Oh I’ll judge the shit out of other peoples kit. Because I’m a small, mean, petty, curmudgeon.

But your point is well put. And I’ve definitely gone down the rabbit hole of certain trick specific setups.