Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230388 times)

shripshrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4320 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:48 AM »
I ended up using the top and bottom stock indy washers with my bones, it's the only way I got them to feel good in my 159's. I'm sticking to aftermarkets from now on

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #4321 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
6.0 Tensors on 8.43-8.75 decks and 53 mm wheels
I ride them loose with Bones soft bushings and 1/8 riser pads

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4322 on: October 13, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
I am using cast baseplate Indy stage 11 highs btw.

So I haven't used bones bushings for a while since the bushings are not the same height as the Indy ones and cause the infamous "click" but I checked and the bottom Indy stock bushing with the stock bottom washer is the same exact height  as the bones bottom with the flat black bones washer.

I used the bones washer on the bottom and the stock Indy one on the top to protect the plastic piece on the bones and it makes the truck sit in the hanger almost identical to the stock Indy bushings.

The bones now have no click and feel super responsive and bounce back in place even super loose compared to the aftermarket Indy mediums which, although waaaay better than stock, still feel gummy in way compared to the bones.

Think this is my perfect truck!

Normal top washer over the top of a bones top washer also prevents you from seeing if the plastic is cracking or getting muffin topped.  Probably good.  Don't worry about it unless you feel something change.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #4323 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
Expand Quote

So I haven't used bones bushings for a while since the bushings are not the same height as the Indy ones and cause the infamous "click" but I checked and the bottom Indy stock bushing with the stock bottom washer is the same exact height  as the bones bottom with the flat black bones washer.

I used the bones washer on the bottom and the stock Indy one on the top to protect the plastic piece on the bones and it makes the truck sit in the hanger almost identical to the stock Indy bushings.

The bones now have no click and feel super responsive and bounce back in place even super loose compared to the aftermarket Indy mediums which, although waaaay better than stock, still feel gummy in way compared to the bones.

[close]

Normal top washer over the top of a bones top washer also prevents you from seeing if the plastic is cracking or getting muffin topped.  Probably good.  Don't worry about it unless you feel something change.
This is slap your telling this to haha, but I'll try.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #4324 on: October 13, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
im riding thunder 148 titaniums with blue doh dohs and only a bottom washer with blown out pivot cups.b 53mm wheels. My trucks  rattle and i used to get wheelbite alot but its alot less common now ive learned to land with my weight perfect everytime. Its harder to learn flip tricks but ive always sucked at em. 
go loosen your trucks it makes skating alot funner.
After riding my board this way for about 3 years i would never go back to riding normal trucks. Stepping on my friends boards is a joke I cant even ride a board with tight trucks now

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4325 on: October 14, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Isn't the top bones bushing taller than the Indy?  Bones should just include black washers for the tops and bottoms
[close]
bones top bushings and stock indy bushings are the same height at 11mm. aftermarket indys are 10mm. bones with two flat washers don't fit on indys, unless you shave down the nut or have older stage indys with longer kingpins. also, bones bottom bushings lose a millimetre once they're broken in and the stock bottom washers are 2mm while bones flat washers are 1mm. if you don't have, or lose track of those flat washers you can always use the stock one.

Indy washers are 1.5 mm. I just measured Ace and Indy washers with a micrometer and changed the top washers on my cruiser's Aces to Indy washers cuz that's what I've been running on my other Aces too due to getting them without washers and the stock Ace top washer is thicker at 2 mm and that makes the trucks not turn so well.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4326 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Isn't the top bones bushing taller than the Indy?  Bones should just include black washers for the tops and bottoms
[close]
bones top bushings and stock indy bushings are the same height at 11mm. aftermarket indys are 10mm. bones with two flat washers don't fit on indys, unless you shave down the nut or have older stage indys with longer kingpins. also, bones bottom bushings lose a millimetre once they're broken in and the stock bottom washers are 2mm while bones flat washers are 1mm. if you don't have, or lose track of those flat washers you can always use the stock one.
[close]

Indy washers are 1.5 mm. I just measured Ace and Indy washers with a micrometer and changed the top washers on my cruiser's Aces to Indy washers cuz that's what I've been running on my other Aces too due to getting them without washers and the stock Ace top washer is thicker at 2 mm and that makes the trucks not turn so well.

Your crazy, I’m crazier

While that sounds like a good suggestion to run flush with better turning im so kooked out and crazy if I run my trucks stock I run them stock the way I bought them with all the flaws

Except the tightness, gotta tighten or loosen the trucks but no changing the hardware and such 

Tempted to try though...maybe...
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4327 on: October 14, 2018, 02:12:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Your crazy, I’m crazier

While that sounds like a good suggestion to run flush with better turning im so kooked out and crazy if I run my trucks stock I run them stock the way I bought them with all the flaws

Except the tightness, gotta tighten or loosen the trucks but no changing the hardware and such 

Tempted to try though...maybe...

I wanted to run stock also but this happened cuz the dude who sold me the Aces didn't include the washers so I put washers from my Indys on them and got used to the feeling. It's pretty crazy what a difference 0.5 mm makes.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #4328 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:34 AM »
I find the after market Indy bushing washers thinner than stock washers 

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4329 on: October 14, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »

why would they do that to us?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4330 on: October 14, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why would they do that to us?
Cause they’re filthy racists that’s why.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #4331 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:52 AM »
I ride indy's now for a good 1.5 years, and the bushings are indeed very very squishy in the beginning.

After a while they get 'harder' though...

I ride really tight trucks (my ankles are bad and don't like 'movement' too much, and it helps with popping tricks) and it got better over time.

But I'm riding brand new ones right now and they indeed stay in one angle if you squeeze them :-) will get better after every session

Diocletian

« Reply #4332 on: October 15, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
For the regular cast team thunders, anyone know the exact height of the 147’s? They’re supposed to be lower for some reason compared to the 148’s and up, from what I remember. Tactics says 49mm? Seems odd they’d make them 3mm lower. I feel like their measurement is maybe incorrect?

Boudoir

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4333 on: October 15, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
For the regular cast team thunders, anyone know the exact height of the 147’s? They’re supposed to be lower for some reason compared to the 148’s and up, from what I remember. Tactics says 49mm? Seems odd they’d make them 3mm lower. I feel like their measurement is maybe incorrect?

I recently bought 148's on Tactics, and I hesitated a lot of time between the Hollow Lights (HL) and the Team Hollow (TH), because they write that HL are 52.3 mm and the TH are 51mm. Which makes no sense because the TH are supposed to be the HL with a baseplate 1mm higher.
I finally got the Team Hollow, and I think they are actually 52.3mm, because I can align the axle perfectly with the one of my Hollow Lights 151 (52.3mm high). I can even look through both hollow axles..

So I don't know for the 147s, but I guess it's the same issue: the measurements on Tactics seem to be wrong.

By the way the TH 148s are great, I really like them, better than my previous Indys Forged Hollow 144.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4334 on: October 16, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

Sized up with some 149 Ti + the new ACE low bushings and washers/riptide cups.

The low ace top bushing is the same height as the stock indy, the ace low bottom is ever so slightly shorter than the stock indy but it can't be more than .5mm or something so it won't/doesn't make a difference.

They're waaaaaay more responsive and snappy than stock or after market indy bushings (I normally use the red 88a, even tried to mix match Indy duros like ACE does ); they as squirrly as ACE now with how loose I ride and with 54mm wheels I'm getting wheelbite - hopefully they bushings firm up a bit more as at speed I was wobbling a bit (but I'm also coming off riding Thunders).

(Check that quality casting/mold job on that yoke....)

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4335 on: October 16, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
@xen, does the top of the yoke have a weird dip in it?  my Indy 149s do (159s do not).  I just thought it was a weird casting imperfection but if yours has it too then I'm guessing it's the mold

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4336 on: October 16, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
@xen, does the top of the yoke have a weird dip in it?  my Indy 149s do (159s do not).  I just thought it was a weird casting imperfection but if yours has it too then I'm guessing it's the mold

Yeah, it's a weird 'dent' for sure a mold issue, doubt it's going to screw anything up, it'll get wrecked anyway.

I'll check both of them when I get a chance, only noticed it on one and didn't bother to look at the other one (fight that OCD, fight it!)

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4337 on: October 16, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
i recently switched out some tiax theeves i rode for years for stage 10 149s. i gotta say they make grinding way more fun. stoked to be on indys again
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4338 on: October 17, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recently bought 148's on Tactics, and I hesitated a lot of time between the Hollow Lights (HL) and the Team Hollow (TH), because they write that HL are 52.3 mm and the TH are 51mm. Which makes no sense because the TH are supposed to be the HL with a baseplate 1mm higher.
I finally got the Team Hollow, and I think they are actually 52.3mm, because I can align the axle perfectly with the one of my Hollow Lights 151 (52.3mm high). I can even look through both hollow axles..

So I don't know for the 147s, but I guess it's the same issue: the measurements on Tactics seem to be wrong.

By the way the TH 148s are great, I really like them, better than my previous Indys Forged Hollow 144.

God I wish thunder had a height chart...

Does anyone know if the height changes in any of the 149 models from 52.3mm or does it stay at 52.3?

BMCsteve

« Reply #4339 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does anyone know if the height changes in any of the 149 models from 52.3mm or does it stay at 52.3?

All 149 (and 148) trucks with cast baseplates are 52.3 and forged are 51.3

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #4340 on: October 17, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
so im not close to being OCD on trucks to i apologize from the start. i finally got around to skating a stock pair of 6.0 Film trucks and my initial laymen impression is they are a lot closer to krux than ace on the turning scale. riding them in a bowl today i noticed i often had to pick up my front trunk way more than i normally would even on thunder trucks.

before that on my initial session i rode them without adjusting the kingpin at all and i thought they felt pretty fun and turny but i had to tighten them a full turn for my fatass to not get bad wheel bite with my 54 wheels.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4341 on: October 17, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
so im not close to being OCD on trucks to i apologize from the start. i finally got around to skating a stock pair of 6.0 Film trucks and my initial laymen impression is they are a lot closer to krux than ace on the turning scale. riding them in a bowl today i noticed i often had to pick up my front trunk way more than i normally would even on thunder trucks.

before that on my initial session i rode them without adjusting the kingpin at all and i thought they felt pretty fun and turny but i had to tighten them a full turn for my fatass to not get bad wheel bite with my 54 wheels.

Any way of measuring what Film trucks do to the wheelbase? In comparison to the big brands at least. Would be much appreciated.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #4342 on: October 17, 2018, 05:48:27 PM »
Sure give me a few days

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4343 on: October 18, 2018, 01:06:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

All 149 (and 148) trucks with cast baseplates are 52.3 and forged are 51.3

Thank you

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #4344 on: October 18, 2018, 06:46:48 AM »
after riding 169 indy without washers for a while i've blown out the top bushings and replaced them with medium bones, flush-ish on the king pin and i am, so far dicusted.
I hope bones is lying onthe "no break in period" if they stay like that they will end up in the trash.
they have a super sluggish feel, compared to the stock indys.

PMA

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4345 on: October 18, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks? I just got this super good deal on a used set-up, only thing that the Indys are black & white (hanger/baseplate).
Should I just try to scrape it off? Maybe use some thinner?

I know it's not a big deal but I just can't stand painted trucks.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4346 on: October 18, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks? I just got this super good deal on a used set-up, only thing that the Indys are black & white (hanger/baseplate).

Aircraft paint stripper.  Note that they might not be polished under the paint.  I did this to a set of indy's and the raw metal is a funky gray color

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4347 on: October 18, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aircraft paint stripper.  Note that they might not be polished under the paint.  I did this to a set of indy's and the raw metal is a funky gray color

Super raw like they used to be!

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4348 on: October 18, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did it on mismatched aces i got for cheap, one painted and one powder coated. Used something sold here as acetone substitute.
Still required a lot of metal brushing, dipping hands in that shit and breathing vapors.
Won't do it again.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4349 on: October 18, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

This thread showing varying degrees of success with a few different methods. Having also done this to a set of Aces, can be done. You may or may not like how they end up looking. After a few months those Aces definitely have that "complete that's been in the garage for a decade" look.

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100305